Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
As soon as people start making new characters for Infinite, I'll be in. I really dislike MvC3.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be back as soon as this thing hits. I don't even need the shader. I just want a decent community to match against. MvC:I is my favorite tag fighter and if it gets one last hurrah before 2XKO drops, I'll be content.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Cel shading works really well for MvC, but no way am I going back to that. The game was such a massive disappointment, and I'm still so mad at myself for buying it, I can't enjoy it.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Any hope that the models and shading could be backported/applied to UMvC3?

Ultron, Thanos, Captain Marvel, Venom and Monster Hunter were already back ported to Marvel 3 a while ago. X is in the game but he's not Marvel Infinite X.

Dunno about the stuff like shaders as that's stuff that's not fully understood as marvel 3 modders are still figuring out how things work and occasionally enough is learned that someone builds a tool to make the work easier.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Ultron, Thanos, Captain Marvel, Venom and Monster Hunter were already back ported to Marvel 3 a while ago. X is in the game but he's not Marvel Infinite X.

Dunno about the stuff like shaders as that's stuff that's not fully understood as marvel 3 modders are still figuring out how things work and occasionally enough is learned that someone builds a tool to make the work easier.
Oh yeah but this Ryu looks TONS better facially.
Look at this guy.

View: https://imgur.com/9fvFJPP

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really cool project! Won't bring the X-Men to this game but it might get a resurrection anyways.
Also cool to see Max commission something like this - has he done that before?

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Still a bad game but it looks good now.

MvCI is not a bad game tho, the only problems it has are how it looks and the whole "characters as functions" spiel to cover Marvel not letting them use who they wanted (which would be a very different story now that Marvel has the X-Men back and X-Men 97 is going ham af right now).

Then again I agree with Max Dood and the other people that actually played the game a ton that it's a good game and opinions are opinions ofc.

WeskerXXI

Oct 28, 2017
Really cool project! Won't bring the X-Men to this game but it might get a resurrection anyways.
Also cool to see Max commission something like this - has he done that before?
He put out a bounty (was it 10k? don't remember) for solving the UMvC3 modded characters taking existing roster spots. Work was already underway, but he incentivized it at least.

He's currently streaming going over MVC:I and discussing how to improve all its presentation, so he seems to not be stopping here.

Solidus Snake

Alt account
Banned
Apr 20, 2024
MvCI is not a bad game tho, the only problems it has are how it looks and the whole "characters as functions" spiel to cover Marvel not letting them use who they wanted (which would be a very different story now that Marvel has the X-Men back and X-Men 97 is going ham af right now).

Then again I agree with Max Dood and the other people that actually played the game a ton that it's a good game and opinions are opinions ofc.
It's a bad game, and it has nothing to do with the graphics or the roster.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Oh that already looks sooo much nicer just from a glimpse.

MvCI was really fun to play. It lacked xmen characters but I also liked the new MCU centric additions.

I wonder if modders will also explore character mods for it. UMVC3's mod scene is doing wonders. I know its not easy and its largely driven by passion but if mvc3 characters and mod characters could somehow get ported over to MVCI would make it even better. I mean I just need to see Wolverine in this game as a start and I'd be happy lol

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Oh that already looks sooo much nicer just from a glimpse.

MvCI was really fun to play. It lacked xmen characters but I also liked the new MCU centric additions.

I wonder if modders will also explore character mods for it. UMVC3's mod scene is doing wonders. I know its not easy and its largely driven by passion but if mvc3 characters and mod characters could somehow get ported over to MVCI would make it even better. I mean I just need to see Wolverine in this game as a start and I'd be happy lol
I can't wait for all the potential that comes out for this

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There was an attempt

HSuMEoB.png

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Great effort and work, but it still looks ugly and stiff which is no fault of the modder. This series should have never shifted to 3d, bring back the gorgeous hand drawn pixel art. I can't believe they did away with it in the first place, it felt foundational to the exaggerated visual style of the series.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Great effort and work, but it still looks ugly and stiff which is no fault of the modder. This series should have never shifted to 3d, bring back the gorgeous hand drawn pixel art. I can't believe they did away with it in the first place, it felt foundational to the exaggerated visual style of the series.
Yep, this would had been for the best!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What in the nine fucks? Where can I throw support for this mod? Looks amazing.
I hope Disney doesn't try to get this shut down.
Considering the MvC3 modding has been in a higher gear for a while now with no problems (in that the roster is basically doubled now), I wouldnt worry about this.

Ah yes. Pixel art. Where it'd take a year and a day to do one single character in HD (not to mention cost a lot - see notes on Skullgirls or KOF XIII). I wonder why a series with dozens of characters might not go for that style...
And by that I mean you'd destroy a big roster by doing it that way, which would just suck. The series can still capture a great style without pixel art, I thought 3 and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom did great with that. Bigger Roster > Pixel Art every day of the week.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/kekon3/status/1779387372779540599

Fucking miss this game dude. I'm with Max on this one, genuinely one of the most underrated fighters period with so much expression and flexibility (who remembers the clip of Arthur reflecting Strider's Ouroboros?). Presentation and roster are the biggest marks against it, and it's quaint to see people pretend it's about literally anything else. We might not ever meet it halfway on the latter but at least there's still hope for the former.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Considering the MvC3 modding has been in a higher gear for a while now with no problems (in that the roster is basically doubled now), I wouldnt worry about this.

Ah yes. Pixel art. Where it'd take a year and a day to do one single character in HD (not to mention cost a lot - see notes on Skullgirls or KOF XIII). I wonder why a series with dozens of characters might not go for that style...
And by that I mean you'd destroy a big roster by doing it that way, which would just suck. The series can still capture a great style without pixel art, I thought 3 and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom did great with that. Bigger Roster > Pixel Art every day of the week.

Okay, and yet we've had 4 games in the series done in that style? Smaller rosters... MvC2 had a gigantic roster, the backgrounds were 3d though. I don't know why you're painting this as some unfathomable task? Any studio large enough to handle this game wont spend a year on a character lmao

In terms of cost, I assume you mean money not rendering budget... I can't speak to, I would only hope that a game like that would make a killing in sales to justify it's apparently resource intensive pixel art pipeline. A year for a character? Like, are you talking a 15 person indie studio here or something?

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Like, are you talking a 15 person indie studio here or something?

They are speaking about the night and day difference in Standard Definition games made with pixel art vs 4K Definition, modern expectations of pixel art and animation. It was easier back in the day because of the quality of displays they were animating for.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Really good job. I'm not a fan of MVCI gameplay/roster and I rather play MVC3 but I might reinstall it just to try when they finish the mod.
Okay, and yet we've had 4 games in the series done in that style? Smaller rosters... MvC2 had a gigantic roster, the backgrounds were 3d though. I don't know why you're painting this as some unfathomable task? Any studio large enough to handle this game wont spend a year on a character lmao

In terms of cost, I assume you mean money not rendering budget... I can't speak to, I would only hope that a game like that would make a killing in sales to justify it's apparently resource intensive pixel art pipeline. A year for a character? Like, are you talking a 15 person indie studio here or something?
For KOF XIII each character took about 12 to 16 months to be made, it also was a 720p game and as pretty as that game was it bombed. You also have to consider that since the market changed to 3D there aren't many people that work with sprites at this level anymore.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Good grief are you really saying "they did MvC2 so they can do it again?"

So lets go back to reality:
MvC2 only exists because almost all of the roster is copied and pasted from characters already existing in other games. Go look at the Marvel side. You get TWO new characters. Cable and Marrow. No Wolverine's bone claws aint counted.
Capcom's side has a couple more new sprites - though rumors still suggest Ruby and maybe Amingo were Darkstalkers characters, but I cant find proof of that beyond whispers.

So in other words - MvC2 only has a huge roster because 90% of it is recycled. And sure they could do the same now, but it already got slated then for reuse (look up "Morrigan Sprite" for laughs), so that'd absolutely be a complaint now.

Also, drawing HD sprites is not the same as doing SD sprites... As I already said, go look up talks on KOF XIII and Skull Girls character costs to educate yourself (its clear you have no idea). HD sprites - which Capcom would go with given the choice, would end up costing somewhere between a few hundred thousand to a million PER CHARACTER. And it takes artists a while to make said character. Capcom's in the business to make money, consider that most MvC games sell around 1-2 mil (3 and Infinite are the best selling at both just under 2 mil each). They have to be smart on where the budget is spent. People want big rosters, this aint a game where you can include 15-20 characters and just call it a day, that'd be a lame roster that would miss so much of either universe. Just like SNK with recent KOFs, Capcom would go the method that generates the most characters for an economical price - which is using 3D models, then if they were smart, making them look closer to MvC3 which is a nice middle ground to the comic style (Tatsunoko Vs Capcom also has a really good cell shaded style that works).
Lastly, drawing sprites by hand takes a fuck ton of time. And doing it in HD quality costs more both in time and money. Hence why you dont see devs doing it these days. Well, you would if you bothered looking into this.

So basically you sound completely clueless/ignorant to how any of this works, seeing as its already been documented for studios + HD sprite work. You assume something worked in the 90s (and again - it only worked because so much was copy/pasted for MvC2) and that it'd work the exact same way now.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
I have a much easier time focusing on 3D models than focusing on sprites. Playing sprite games on Fightcade is way too difficult.

Bizazedo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I wouldn't say the only problems were visual. I heard the meta changed later, but early on it promoted rapid fire tags mid-combo....which honestly, turned me off. I like tag / assist fighters, I don't like switching characters every few seconds in a combo. That turned me off more than the visuals.

It was also after MvC3, which just felt better to me with 3 per team. It was chaos, sure, but it felt more logical than rapid fire tags in MvC:I.

Again, I heard from a friend the meta changed later, but by then it was too late for me.

That and, opinions are opinions. I know there's a group of people who liked how Infinite played, just like I hear there are people who like how MK 1 plays. It feels they're in the minority, though.

No proof of that, just the vibe :).

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't say the only problems were visual. I heard the meta changed later, but early on it promoted rapid fire tags mid-combo....which honestly, turned me off. I like tag / assist fighters, I don't like switching characters every few seconds in a combo. That turned me off more than the visuals.

It was also after MvC3, which just felt better to me with 3 per team. It was chaos, sure, but it felt more logical than rapid fire tags in MvC:I.

Again, I heard from a friend the meta changed later, but by then it was too late for me.

That and, opinions are opinions. I know there's a group of people who liked how Infinite played, just like I hear there are people who like how MK 1 plays. It feels they're in the minority, though.

No proof of that, just the vibe :).

Agreed here. Yes, the presentation (UI, visuals, sound, music) and roster are the worst parts of the game along with the half-assed story mode but just overall played and felt off to me.

MVC3 with 3v3 played and flowed a lot better compared to 2v2 with assist. For some reason, I vastly preferred the controls in MVC3 over MVCI and even trying pad and leverless, it has never clicked with me the same way MVC3 did.

I was a big supporter and hopeful of MVCI leading up to launch but when it came out, damn near everyone I know dropped it immediately. There's a reason it never made it to EVO or was a headline game like MVC3 was (still is!), it essentially killed the franchise. I don't hate on people who love the gameplay but after putting more than enough time into it, I'm fully confident that MVC3 (save for the online) is a better game in just about every way.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Good grief are you really saying "they did MvC2 so they can do it again?"

So lets go back to reality:
MvC2 only exists because almost all of the roster is copied and pasted from characters already existing in other games. Go look at the Marvel side. You get TWO new characters. Cable and Marrow. No Wolverine's bone claws aint counted.
Capcom's side has a couple more new sprites - though rumors still suggest Ruby and maybe Amingo were Darkstalkers characters, but I cant find proof of that beyond whispers.

So in other words - MvC2 only has a huge roster because 90% of it is recycled. And sure they could do the same now, but it already got slated then for reuse (look up "Morrigan Sprite" for laughs), so that'd absolutely be a complaint now.

Also, drawing HD sprites is not the same as doing SD sprites... As I already said, go look up talks on KOF XIII and Skull Girls character costs to educate yourself (its clear you have no idea). HD sprites - which Capcom would go with given the choice, would end up costing somewhere between a few hundred thousand to a million PER CHARACTER. And it takes artists a while to make said character. Capcom's in the business to make money, consider that most MvC games sell around 1-2 mil (3 and Infinite are the best selling at both just under 2 mil each). They have to be smart on where the budget is spent. People want big rosters, this aint a game where you can include 15-20 characters and just call it a day, that'd be a lame roster that would miss so much of either universe. Just like SNK with recent KOFs, Capcom would go the method that generates the most characters for an economical price - which is using 3D models, then if they were smart, making them look closer to MvC3 which is a nice middle ground to the comic style (Tatsunoko Vs Capcom also has a really good cell shaded style that works).
Lastly, drawing sprites by hand takes a fuck ton of time. And doing it in HD quality costs more both in time and money. Hence why you dont see devs doing it these days. Well, you would if you bothered looking into this.

So basically you sound completely clueless/ignorant to how any of this works, seeing as its already been documented for studios + HD sprite work. You assume something worked in the 90s (and again - it only worked because so much was copy/pasted for MvC2) and that it'd work the exact same way now.

Love the attitude, hear that you HD pixel and vector art studios, Shadowman says you can save a ton of money by switch to 3d you idiots!

According to an article on siliconera Street fighter 4 characters supposedly cost over..... one million. Skulls girls was 250k which they were told was cheap to be fair.

From an artistic point of view we are sacrificing something that looked and felt better for something that's comparatively cheaper. Except its not that simple.

It's a more flexible asset. Not necessarily always cheaper.

3d as 2d assets especially those made with TODAYS methodology of editing normal maps and geometry for correct shading, animating on 2's, etc all bump up the price on these things. They make the process more labor intensive.

So from a business point of view. You're right, today they likely wouldn't spend the money on a hand animated pixel art game when they could spend a bit more or nearly as much for more flexible assets on a 3d game.

But it's too bad seeing as they both cost a lot of money per character. If people would instead prefer a 3d one, or a cell shaded 3d as 2d one that's fine... but my point is that the series looked and felt BEST when it was hand drawn. So it would be a treat if we could get another game in that style again.

Last edited:

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest turn off in MvCI is not the art style. It's the Voices, none of them scream emotion like those iconic MvC3 lines. We all know the game is the filthiest of the filth dirty which is fun

Apr 5, 2022
This looks like a better version of what Street Fighter 5 tried to do to remove the "clay" look to it when they did their cel-shade feature (which sadly didnt function in the cinematic story mode). Giving props to the people contributing to this!

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed here. Yes, the presentation (UI, visuals, sound, music) and roster are the worst parts of the game along with the half-assed story mode but just overall played and felt off to me.

MVC3 with 3v3 played and flowed a lot better compared to 2v2 with assist. For some reason, I vastly preferred the controls in MVC3 over MVCI and even trying pad and leverless, it has never clicked with me the same way MVC3 did.

I was a big supporter and hopeful of MVCI leading up to launch but when it came out, damn near everyone I know dropped it immediately. There's a reason it never made it to EVO or was a headline game like MVC3 was (still is!), it essentially killed the franchise. I don't hate on people who love the gameplay but after putting more than enough time into it, I'm fully confident that MVC3 (save for the online) is a better game in just about every way.
Nobody can confidently say if the gameplay was a dealbreaker due to the entire game being wrapped up in an unappealing package. I think 2XKO has a similar active tag system like Infinite. We'll see if people can get into it with a game that has a better art style and roster.