Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would update the OP so it now explains the whole deal:

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite & Beyond is a mod for well, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite that is being led by Maximilian Dood and a team of modders such as Ryn, Erebus and more! It's even getting new original music done by Alex Moukala!

RKb2_TqX_400x400.jpg

Here is gameplay footage of it! Though note that I'll update this post once a new video drops!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBZLlOyOZtE

Original Post:

View: https://twitter.com/WistfulHopes/status/1785827872483270863

It seems like this came about due to a commission from Maximilian Dood!

View: https://twitter.com/maximilian_/status/1785829442780274830

Video Quality isn't the best but here is an earlier example (as in from earlier today before they made more changes), of gameplay with the Cel-Shaded style.

View: https://twitter.com/WistfulHopes/status/1785704891782172906/video/1

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I actually am surprised it took this long for this to happen.

I've been with Max since the day the game launched -- great game wrapped in a poor visual style and definitely a case where the game's communication also prevented a lot of people from giving it an honest try to begin with. The whole "characters as functions" talk and such just hit a lot of people are adversarial and kinda killed the game's slim chances before it even launched. It is lamentable that the game was developed during Marvel's X-Men/mutant anti-synergy campaign and the long-standing roster was altered to fall in line with MCU, but it was still a damn fun game IMO.

Glad it has a chance of at least looking great now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well it looks better than Infinite did initially Ill give it that. When we can get non compressed footage Im sure it'll look better. Still, always cool to see stuff like this!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this game has stayed in MaxDoods mind longer than everyone over at capcom combined

Db82

Mar 4, 2024
I had no idea it was released for PC? X-Men 97 has me really yearning for a new Capcom led X-Men fighting game!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite might not have ever stood a chance at being as evocative of an era as MvC3 was, but good god does this mod so far stand as a reminder of how close the game was to at the very least be remembered more respectably as an underrated as hell fighting game if only it put in a little bit extra to present itself better.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This modder been trying to figure out how to make the cel-shading look good and I think they found it.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its actually happening? I remember seeing people doing mockups of MvCI using 3's style for years.

MVC3 looks pretty timeless thanks to its comic book style. This looks to provide a similar gloss to MVCI.

As a note for those who didn't play it, Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite DOES have rollback netcode. And it's better implemented than SFV. It plays great online.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice effort, but this just makes me sad because it's how it should have been, and now reminded the series is still super dead largely because of that. yay.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Going to end up double dipping on this game for PC at this rate but hopefully I can find people playing it online for once. The netcode was good but the population disappeared so damn quickly outside of the first 6 weeks

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I actually am surprised it took this long for this to happen.

I've been with Max since the day the game launched -- great game wrapped in a poor visual style and definitely a case where the game's communication also prevented a lot of people from giving it an honest try to begin with. The whole "characters as functions" talk and such just hit a lot of people are adversarial and kinda killed the game's slim chances before it even launched. It is lamentable that the game was developed during Marvel's X-Men/mutant anti-synergy campaign and the long-standing roster was altered to fall in line with MCU, but it was still a damn fun game IMO.

Glad it has a chance of at least looking great now.
Yeah, I dont know that better visuals changes things much. It being 2v2 and lacking mutants I think were enough to turn many longstanding fans off of the game. Add in the visuals, the fact that Capcom had just launched a turd of a fighting game (the SFV redemption arc hadn't started yet) so folks already had little faith in Capcom (at least with fighting games) and I just don't know that better visuals would really move the needle much. Certainly it would not have gotten stunted on as much online if it didn't look so bad but I still dont know that changes much.

Still, even if this was a bad direction for the series to go in that doesnt mean it's a bad game at all. It is a really fun game and its nice that now it'll get an art style that lets it shine. This game often goes on crazy deep discount so it's worth picking up for anyone interested.

All that said, any word on how this mod would work once completed?

Oct 25, 2017
Really goes to show how much of a fuck up MvCI was when extremely early adjustments from one person make this much of a difference. Art, roster and music were all such a downgrade from UMvC3 it was beyond stupid.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Definitely looks better, though my issues with MvCI go well beyond its graphics. I didn't like how it played and let's not even talk about the roster.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
This looks amazing! I adore Infinite, and I am super happy that it's getting some love!

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Was a big fan of MvC 1 & 2, never liked 3, though I had potential but none of the characters interested me, it was butt ugly and support ended quickly. With no new MvC game in sight happy to see modders reviving the game in such a meaningful way. Here's hoping it takes on the scale & quality of things like the Super Smash projects as then I might consider trying it out

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
All that said, any word on how this mod would work once completed?

It'll most likely involve pasting a bunch of files into the games install directory. There will after some time probably be an auto-installer that will automate things for a more cleaner installation if that.

Debatable this works with the Windows Store version. Consoles are out of the question outside of homebrew possibly. More likely than not this will be targeting the Steam version.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I gotta say I find Max's efforts to go in and commission people to do stuff like this for games really, really cool. I dunno what other big streamers put their money into things that they love and mean a lot to them like this for their communities to enjoy. I'm sure some exist I just dunno many.

Looking really good so far and I always wanted to try to get into MvCi since I always preferred 2v2 to 3v3.