• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
EwitcQeXAAsOkja

Cap-capture.png

Meet Aaron Fischer, the Captain America of the railways.

"a fearless teen who stepped up to protect fellow runaways and the unhoused."
"Aaron is inspired by heroes of the queer community: activists, leaders, and everyday folks pushing for a better life," writer Joshua Trujillo (who created Aaron alongside artist Jan Bazaldua) said in a statement about the character. "He stands for the oppressed, and the forgotten. I hope his debut story resonates with readers and helps inspire the next generation of heroes."

"I want to thank editor Alanna Smith and Joshua Trujillo very much for asking me to create Aaron," Bazaldua added. "I really enjoyed designing him, and as a transgender person, I am happy to be able to present an openly gay person who admires Captain America and fights against evil to help those who are almost invisible to society."
https://www.pride.com/geek/2021/3/15/were-finally-getting-gay-captain-america-we-deserve

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That costume...sure is a choice. He looks like he just came from an off-broadway production of Newsies.

But hey, cool. Nothing wrong with more Caps. We've got like 15 now.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
"So, can we get this Captain America to make an appearance in the MC--"

Disney: "Lol, no."

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hope it's a good book. But from the other thread where people were calling cap a nationalist this here is what Cap is about, and you don't have to be Steve Rogers to be cap. You just have to live the stated idea of america, not the reality. Which means it applies to all, protects all.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to make an Antifa Super Soldier joke, but I don't think Antifa would have an American flag tattoo.

Ewitc9xXEAUZYK2

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Disney Execs: "He should look gay, but not TOO gay, but gay enough to let them know that he is proud and expressive of his gayness and is a relatable gay hero to the gay community."

Artist: "So you want a "straight friendly" gay design?"

Disney Execs: "..... Yeah more or less"

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Kevin Feige doesn't control the comics division...? Like he doesn't greenlight new characters authors come up with, especially not one-shot characters.

deadline.com

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige Adds Marvel Chief Creative Officer Title; He’ll Oversee All Creative & Story Initiatives

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige To Add Chief Creative Officer Title As Universe Consolidates Around Him

Feige was given creative control of all of Marvel Entertainment in late 2019.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
i don't hate it but something feels a little tone-deaf about introducing a gay runaway teen during pride month

i'm actually really into the design though so maybe i shouldn't think too hard about it

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What's tone deaf about that?
lgbt youth homelessness is near pandemic levels in the USA, and it just feels kind of gross to me to try to turn it into a social credit for marvel during pride month especially when it deserves a spotlight outside of june, which would make it worse if this is just a one-shot which they'll never refer to again

i guess they can use it to draw attention to the issue and that's fine, but something about it rubs me the wrong way

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at that character design.

Should just have Steve and Bucky hook up in an alternate reality or something. It'd be better than Captain Overalls.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The flag tattoo is a bit too far and does not match the rest of the look.

lgbt youth homelessness is near pandemic levels in the USA, and it just feels kind of gross to me to try to turn it into a social credit for marvel during pride month especially when it deserves a spotlight outside of june, which would make it worse if this is just a one-shot which they'll never refer to again

i guess they can use it to draw attention to the issue and that's fine, but something about it rubs me the wrong way

Definitely a wait and see from me.

Moves like this are always about execution.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for people who enjoy rocking it, but I'll never get the appeal of that kind of haircut.

Had no idea the cultural significance of the overalls, TIL.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Eternals gives us all faith that Marvel Studios will actually adapt queer characters.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

This is where I'm at myself but I'm willing to see what they do with it, whether that be a little or a lot. I'm hoping it's in line with say, the former Falcon as Cap where they didn't shy away from issues facing Black America and America as a whole. From what I've seen of Falcon Cap at any rate, not sure if they drove it off a cliff with something tone deaf as I haven't had a chance to read those issues thoroughly, mostly exposed to that series via recaps on YT.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Eh...

My first gut opinion was that, for a gay character that's supposed to be "inspired by the heroes of the Queer community" and function as a sort of representation for all of us...they sure did give him a very specific design.

I'm not interested, but I'm not going to scoff at more Queer representation. Good for them.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

That's fair. I'm hoping for the best I guess. If executed with taste and grace, I think it's potentially for the good that he has a background that is a lived experience for so many of us.

Dec 30, 2020
I like that his costume looks homemade, although the neckerchief makes me tilt my head.

"My superhero costume is almost complete! But it feels like it's missing something..."

*tv blaring in the background, "okay gang, let's split up and find that ghost!"*

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's fair. I'm hoping for the best I guess. If executed with taste and grace, I think it's potentially for the good that he has a background that is a lived experience for so many of us.
i mean, at the end of the day it's a new queer character and that's good, and i do legitimately like the design

i just wish it didn't have to have the baggage of feeling like a token move during pride month but it does at least have queer creative leads so it's not a completely soulless move or anything

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
In what world would a rebellious hobo twink have an American flag tattoo? I don't remember the AIDS crisis making the gays all that patriotic.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a great idea but there's something about his design. I can't put my finger on it.

He looks very "Focus Group" tested? I don't know how to explain it.