• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame this Hulk deal also extends to other related characters, which is why Jen doesn't seem to exist in the MCU.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I had the idea for Keanu as Silver Surfer before anyone, if you want to see him bald just watch that part in Matrix where he's bald!

For those worried about Doom getting killed, they're called Doombots. There's guaranteed to be at least one fake-out death that will piss people off for various reasons. 'It was just a Doombot' is for sure happening.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Between this and Blade, everything in post-2021 seems so much interesting than Phase 4 to me. I wish we could just skip to this stuff lol.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see CM2, BP2, and GOTG3 all releasing in one year. Marvel seems to like to mix origin/first films in the MCU with sequels. Putting three (highly anticipated) sequels in the same calendar year doesn't seem start when they have so many stories and possibilities. I think we get two sequels in 2022, and the other in 2023

Oct 31, 2017
I don't see CM2, BP2, and GOTG3 all releasing in one year. Marvel seems to like to mix origin/first films in the MCU with sequels. Putting three (highly anticipated) sequels in the same calendar year doesn't seem start when they have so many stories and possibilities. I think we get two sequels in 2022, and the other in 2023

I think BP2 is for sure 2022. Feb 2022 to be exact.
GoTG3 is for sure 2023.
CM2 is 50/50. Who knows?
I'm guessing Deadpool or Blade drops in 2022 as well.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I wonder how Disney is going to hand wave mutants existing in the MCU all these years after all. I know some folks have speculated they will say the second snap caused some of the returned snapped to become mutants. The thing is if they go with that charade Magneto and Professor X will have no history with each other. The School of Mutants wouldn't exist. Wolverine couldn't be over 100 years old. The entire lore of the characters will be butchered.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Holy shit, even if it's not going to be amazing, any fantastic four movie they put out would be way better than the shit we've had.

I kind of expect Disney/Marvel to give it a good go though. I've been waiting a long time for a good F4 movie, a long time. If it's good and a Xmen movie is also good, that would be it for me, I can rest, I can die.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Disney is going to hand wave mutants existing in the MCU all these years after all. I know some folks have speculated they will say the second snap caused some of the returned snapped to become mutants. The thing is if they go with that charade Magneto and Professor X will have no history with each other. The School of Mutants wouldn't exist. Wolverine couldn't be over 100 years old. The entire lore of the characters will be butchered.
They've always been there, just like Hydra was always there and Skrulls/Kree were always there, and Spider-man had been active in the MCU for months before Civil War, etc.

If they really need to give a reason, they could have Fury allied with Xavier; SHIELD had been keeping track of mutants and helping keeping them hidden until the world was ready to learn about them. Old Cap could tell a story about the Canadian operative he meet once on a joint covert mission during WW2

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
They've always been there, just like Hydra was always there and Skrulls/Kree were always there, and Spider-man had been active in the MCU for months before Civil War, etc.

If they really need to give a reason, they could have Fury allied with Xavier; SHIELD had been keeping track of mutants and helping keeping them hidden until the world was ready to learn about them. Old Cap could tell a story about the Canadian operative he meet once on a joint covert mission during WW2

But the major theme of X-Men is that people are aware of mutants and treat them poorly. If they were a top secret how could they face discrimination from the wider public? What would be the whole point of Charles Xavier and his School if the mutants right movement doesn't exist?

And why would the people of the MCU fear mutants when people worship the likes of Hulk and ask him for photographs? No matter how you slice it forcing the mutants into the MCU is going to break the lore.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
But the major theme of X-Men is that people are aware of mutants and treat them poorly. If they were a top secret how could they face discrimination from the wider public? What would be the whole point of Charles Xavier and his School if the mutants right movement doesn't exist?

And why would the people of the MCU fear mutants when people worship the likes of Hulk and ask him for photographs? No matter how you slice it forcing the mutants into the MCU is going to break the lore.
First Class kind of provided a template for that. The fear and concern was among the governments, the public didn't know about mutants yet, and Xavier is optimistic. Once the secret gets out (in the MCU), things would take a turn.

People would fear them for the same reason they fear them in the comics. The Avengers and other superheroes are heroes; mutants are ticking timebombs that could be anyone, anywhere. Plus after the entire planet just suffered from the Snap, in addition to the Accords, the notion that people with potentially dangerous powers could be hiding in plan sight would not be well received

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
SS is Aug 2021 which implies Guardians 3 can't start shooting until Sept 2021. Not enough time for any of those dates. Guardians 3 is likely a 2023 release. I feel kind of confident in that based on Gunn's tweet. They aren't starting on Guardians 3 until SS is done. There's not enough time for pre production, shooting, and post prod for any of the announced 2022 dates unless Marvel announces a November one, but even then that would be cutting it close. I also think CM2 will get 4 years between releases like Panther 2 and Thor 4. Strange 2 got 5 years between releases.

Feb 2022 is Panther 2. The other 2 are up in the air, but I'm guessing we do get an Ant Man 3 in July 2022 and for the May slot I'm guessing Deadpool or Blade.

Suicide Squad shoots this year and GOTG3 is already written. It's not impossible for Gunn to wrap filming on SS early next year, then move to Guardians later in the year. It might be that Marvel adds a November date to the 2022 calendar and drops Vol. 3 there, but I think Guardians in 2022 is def happening.

I feel like Ant-Man will prob move to a Disney+ series, if it continues on at all. It's the only franchise that didn't get any kind of mention yesterday which I feel might be a little telling...

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I guess he said "Mutants" because they could do crossovers (like Black Panther and Spider-Man in Civil War) individual movies/shows to build up to an actual Xmen series.
I'd love if they introduced Wolverine in a Wolverine/Hulk movie (maybe introducing a new Hulk?) like they did in his first appearance in the comics. And then following that, do X-men, X-force, etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love if they introduced Wolverine in a Wolverine/Hulk movie (maybe introducing a new Hulk?) like they did in his first appearance in the comics. And then following that, do X-men, X-force, etc.

Unfortunately all Hulk characters are contained within the deal with Universal, so a solo Hulk movie introducing Wolverine isn't in the cards.

No Jen Walters in the MCU, sadly.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
First Class kind of provided a template for that. The fear and concern was among the governments, the public didn't know about mutants yet, and Xavier is optimistic. Once the secret gets out (in the MCU), things would take a turn.

People would fear them for the same reason they fear them in the comics. The Avengers and other superheroes are heroes; mutants are ticking timebombs that could be anyone, anywhere. Plus after the entire planet just suffered from the Snap, in addition to the Accords, the notion that people with potentially dangerous powers could be hiding in plan sight would not be well received

The hulk was a mutant ticking time bomb and yet in Endgame little kids were asking him for selfies and autographs. Their is even a Tom and Jerry's flavour of ice cream named after him. Why would someone like Storm or Cyclops be feared more than Hulk or Wanda?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame this Hulk deal also extends to other related characters, which is why Jen doesn't seem to exist in the MCU.
I keep hearing about but everyone is still coy about this.

Also, I guess no Antmang 3 til P5 which damn, that's a LONG wait...if there is a Antman 3, gulp.

2020 seems so eh to me sans Falcon/Bucky.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Yeah I kinda don't think we're getting another Ant-Man tbh. Shame because I love the characters. What I expect to happen is for Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly to pop up in other hero's stuff. And what about War Machine? I love Don and hope he isn't done with Mahvel.

Edit: and considering how much Renner and Rudd love each other I kind of expect Rudd to appear in Hawkeye.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Jen could be in the MCU in a separate film but not in a standalone Hulk film, which is unfortunately the best way to introduce her. They just haven't had the opportunity to introduce any Hulk supporting cast members.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Doom better be the next crossover villain and then have galactus for the 2 parter

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I kinda don't think we're getting another Ant-Man tbh. Shame because I love the characters. What I expect to happen is for Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly to pop up in other hero's stuff. And what about War Machine? I love Don and hope he isn't done with Mahvel.

Edit: and considering how much Renner and Rudd love each other I kind of expect Rudd to appear in Hawkeye.
Nah, they never even explored the Quantum Realm really. That alone is reason enough to have a 3rd movie.

I could see Scott, Hope, and Rhodey as being core members of a new Avengers team, maybe with Clint, Wanda, Vision, and Sam.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The hulk was a mutant ticking time bomb and yet in Endgame little kids were asking him for selfies and autographs. Their is even a Tom and Jerry's flavour of ice cream named after him. Why would someone like Storm or Cyclops be feared more than Hulk or Wanda?
You can say this about them in the comics too. There's almost always been a bit of dissonance there. I think if they lean on the angle that teenage mutants are randomly and more often now having their X-gene triggered in the middle of school where they often hurt other kids in the process, you can make a bit of a distinction for prejudice against them as opposed to other superheroes ("It's about safety in our schools!"). Make it so the X-Men have to stop a kid whose accidentally destroying a school and it becomes the event that breaks the camel's back.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I'm more interested in how they are going to change the origin of both Xavier and Mags.

Especially the latter, because he's a holocaust survivor. The Fox movies weren't always up to snuff, but they nailed Mag's origin and his motivations. Ian McKellen did a great job as old Mags and Fassbender was great as a young Erik. I still love the scene from First Class in which he found two Nazi's living their lives in Argentina and straight up killing them.

Maybe they'll pull a "my parents were holocaust survivors and even after all that they were brutally murdered by a group of anti-semitics which awakened my mutant powers"

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm more interested in how they are going to change the origin of both Xavier and Mags.

Especially the latter, because he's a holocaust survivor. The Fox movies weren't always up to snuff, but they nailed Mag's origin and his motivations. Ian McKellen did a great job as old Mags and Fassbender was great as a young Erik. I still love the scene from First Class in which he found two Nazi's living their lives in Argentina and straight up killing them.

Maybe they'll pull a "my parents were holocaust survivors and even after all that they were brutally murdered by a group of anti-semitics which awakened my mutant powers"

An out for them is for them to do Xaver/Magneto is the past X-men (like First Class) which was retconned somehow from history - like a humanity wide Xavier mindwipe because reasons? While in the present they could do a modern X-men, after the old guard are dead or unavailable.

Last edited:

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Love that we're getting Fantastic Four soon. I don't care about the 4 goofs but give me Doom & Galactus done right in the MCU.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
Bardem as Doom, Bobby Canavale as Norman and Jon Hamm as a 60s era Reed (whole team introduced in next Strange, they've been stuck in another dimension/some time nonsense. All have 60s attitudes, Hamm gets to play a real dick)

Oct 26, 2017

The multiverse. They'll merge that stuff into the MCU from the Doctor Strange movie will be my best guess.

Rayven_king

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

they can just say the the x-men and other mutants we know are part of a small population, small enough that the x-men can operate in the shadows for years until the snap greatly increases these numbers, the some governments have always known and has their own covert research programs (stryker's weapon x and the like)

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
Also, although I think Bardem is the best choice for Doom (strong thighs), Lars Mikkelsen (Mads brother) can be absolutely terrifying. He's tall and skinny as anything though so dunno if he'd fit.. could be Lizard maybe?

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Where (if anywhere) do you think T'Challa and Carol will show up in the announced films for Phase 4? Will they get a decent role in one of them (e.g. Tony in Spider-Man, or everyone in Civil War), or are they going to try to avoid any sort of real interaction for the moment, let everything breathe?

I suppose the question can be extended to Scott, Hope, Bruce etc...

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Where (if anywhere) do you think T'Challa and Carol will show up in the announced films for Phase 4? Will they get a decent role in one of them (e.g. Tony in Spider-Man, or everyone in Civil War), or are they going to try to avoid any sort of real interaction for the moment, let everything breathe?

I suppose the question can be extended to Scott, Hope, Bruce etc...

With T'Challa maybe Shang-Chi, while Carol's likely in Thor or Dr. Strange.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So do you think Marvel is not building up to the next Avengers over the next phase, but to the first X-Men?

We don't really need a new Avengers movie in the next 4 years, but if every other movie was awesome including some hints to hype up the coming X-Men, I can see that being a major event.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they don't wait too long before Jon Bernthal ages out of the Wolverine role (rip Punisher).

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I want Blade to be a movie, except I'd be ecstatic were it to be a tv show instead. The tv media would be a superb for new Blade stories, rather than one or two every few years.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really make sense to do phases if its not going to end in one big event

Also you can certainly tell that no one expected Black Panther to be as big as it was if its entirely skipping the next phase, GotG is only coming out so late due to the Gunn issue and Captain Marvel just came out this year.

Last edited: