• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Too lazy to get pics, but when he first appeared from the portal in Avengers he looked like he just got done running a marathon or stayed up for a couple of days.

I mean, I thought it was obvious he was being influenced by something considering his characterization is different compared to his other apperences in Thor 1/2/3 and IW.

Yea, and then him basically having a a vision or some kind of trance where he's being talked to by Thanos's little lacky, and then the guy touches his head. Loki looked sickly with veins on his face, wicked past with dark bags.

Does not look like that in thor 2 and Ragnarok.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Why tho? People still loved him as an asshole. People loved him because he was an asshole. Seeing Loki go from dude who wanted to kill Thor and everyone else to dude who tried to stab the most powerful person in existence in order to save his brother was great.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The official poster for Thor 2 in China was vaguely hinting at that, though.

Loki is complex, dude possessed the body of his brother's girlfriend just to fuck with him. But when asgard and the universe was in danger he is one of the first to step up in his own way
fry_squinting.gif

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Isn't the whole point that the stone when in the scepter, at least, fuels negative emotion? This is why when all the heroes are in the same room as it they begin to fight and seriously escalate - Banner reaching for the Scepter, Fury his gun, Stark and Rogers offering a fist fight to each other?

Like, it says it influenced Loki, not controlled him. We know he has sociopathic, psychotic tendencies. They're his. The stone just exaggerated them.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Isn't the whole point that the stone when in the scepter, at least, fuels negative emotion? This is why when all the heroes are in the same room as it they begin to fight and seriously escalate - Banner reaching for the Scepter, Fury his gun, Stark and Rogers offering a fist fight to each other?

Like, it says it influenced Loki, not controlled him. We know he has sociopathic, psychotic tendencies. They're his. The stone just exaggerated them.
Exactly, people are acting as if this removes agency from Loki or somehow justifies his actions. But that's not the point, the point is he's still him, just a slightly more "the worst" version of him. This is readily apparent if you compare his characterisation in the movies preceding and following The Avengers.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, and then him basically having a a vision or some kind of trance where he's being talked to by Thanos's little lacky, and then the guy touches his head. Loki looked sickly with veins on his face, wicked past with dark bags.

Does not look like that in thor 2 and Ragnarok.

Yup. His behavior when he first arrives on Earth is also extremely out of character for him both before and after that scene. There's clearly meant to be something going on, since one thing we do know about him is that he would never take the abuse heaped on him by Thanos' flunky. Also note how his demeanor changes completely after the Hulk beats the living shit out of him. He never rejoins the fight and just sort of sits there even though he's not all that hurt, waiting for the Avengers to come get him. It was always obvious he was at least in some kind of One Ring style haze due to the scepter, it's just never been something addressed until now.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, that's a horrible retcon. I really disliked Marvel Studios approach of Loki being a relatively good guy starting with Thor 2.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Did they forget how much of a dick he was in the first Thor? What happened in the Avengers movie was right in line with that.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This entire thing is from the bio page which really should be in the OP and not some pointless article about it:

Arriving at the Sanctuary through a wormhole caused by the Bifrost, Loki met the Other, ruler of the ancient race of extraterrestrials the Chitauri, and Thanos. Offering the God of Mischief dominion over his brother's favorite realm Earth, Thanos requested the Tesseract in return. Gifted with a Scepter that acted as a mind control device, Loki would be able to influence others. Unbeknownst to him, the Scepter was also influencing him, fueling his hatred over his brother Thor and the inhabitants of Earth.

So it corrupted him a bit... I mean he still wanted to do the bad shit before.

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that why the Avengers were arguing on the Helicarrier, since they were in the room with the Mind Stone? I thought it all made sense

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So are they going to retcon Thor 1 because I am pretty sure Loki was getting ready to commit some genocide. I am not sure it had much of an influence. I like Loki just the way he was.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Why? It'd be better to just show him struggling with his past. No need to try to wave it away.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
1) Why doesn't the Mind Stone negatively influence anyone when Vision is around?
2) Why the fuck did Thanos willingly give Loki an Infinity Stone? I can't remember what was the motivation behind attacking Earth in Avengers 1 tbh.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
1) Why doesn't the Mind Stone negatively influence anyone when Vision is around?
2) Why the fuck did Thanos willingly give Loki an Infinity Stone? I can't remember what was the motivation behind attacking Earth in Avengers 1 tbh.
1) the corrupting influence has to do with the 'refocusing' that the scepter does. It's why the scepter corrupts everyone in the "You're all so petty...and tiny" scene on the helicarrier, and possibly why Ultron is a corrupted being (because his design came from the scepter's output).
2) Thanos was betting a stone to gain a stone (or two). He knew Earth had the terreract (and possibly the time stone) and decided to send Loki out to conquer the planet, so that he could gain them.