• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if a character has been around for 40 years and you constantly changing every detail about them on the fly, maybe they just not a good character?

rs_560x415-150817131955-1024-kermit-lipton.jpg
Meanwhile Hank Pym's domestic violence will never be retconned.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Most of what he is probably doesn't fall well into family-friendly marketability though.

This coming from a post-Thanos genocide franchise but still.
Just because they side stepped doesn't make him a bad character.

Hell we got what like 3 minutes of Tony being a raging drunk and it was never mentioned again?

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if its possible to make Carol even more bland than she already is but I applaud Marvel for trying.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
did Carol even ever speak to Genis or Phylla? Or pay her respects to their moms?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The Kara Danvers name was used before the Supergirl TV series and besides, before that Kara Zor-El was Linda Lee Danvers, Carol's name has pretty much been a homage at some level to Supergirl. They seem to just be going in harder on it.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
They made her an alien from the House of Ell who spends most of their life as a human with suppressed powers until it was time for those powers to manifest and they learned to hone them.
There's the whole "last survivor of Krypton" vs "half alien born and raised on earth" stuff and how different the situation with the development of their powers are parts of their origins.

did Carol even ever speak to Genis or Phylla? Or pay her respects to their moms?
That would require creators to want to touch that stuff.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The psyche-magnetron accident always seemed like a dumb way to change her DNA to make her part Kree and give her powers. This seems like the logical retcon to tie her more to the Kree rather than having her story be that of an Earthling with powers that aligns themselves with a race like the Kree. This way she has more skin in the game.

Also, her name has always been a homage/reference to Supergirl and Kree have always had Kryptonian sounding names so I don't see what all the huffing and puffing is about. I'm a total casual comic fan and I see no problem with this.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Eh. It doesn't retroactively make her a better character, but it does simply her backstory abit. Car-Ell is just the right amount of comics dumb though.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The origin story shift makes sense, I guess, considering the original Captain Marvel isn't relevant anymore, but... The names. Really?

Not like it'll improve sales or anything. Not without fixing the dozen major issues that relegate comic books to a permanently niche industry.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
For the love of god if you're gonna fix Carol then fix Carol. Don't make her more bland.

Also, her powers are still an accident (activated by the Psyche-Magnetron) and still a gift (from her mom), so...

Good lord, it's been 10 years. Get over it.
A stupid decision doesn't stop being stupid just because it happened a long time ago.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Carol always had a messy origin and needed massive uncomplicated redo's every damn time. I'm ok with this even as a Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel fan. Like someone else said here, her origin was never iconic.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care much for how this article frames this as empowering a woman. She was plenty empowered on her own and I never saw her as a "knockoff" of a man in various recent runs, and while streamlining her back story makes sense this is pretty boring in execution.

Then again she's also been fairly boring in light of recent runs but I think that has to do with overall direction Marvel has wanted to take her for the last 10 years or so more than anything else. Maybe this was the best way, but it does seem pretty uneventful.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The story also retcons Marie Danvers' name into "Mari-Ell," turning Carol Danvers into "Car-Ell" in the process; both names follow the pattern established by Marvel's original Captain Marvel, whose real name was Mar-Vell. In an amusing coincidence, it brings Captain Marvel closer to Superman's birth name of Kal-El just years after the CW show Supergirl changed Supergirl's secret identity to "Kara Danvers."

tHu9pcv.gif

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because they side stepped doesn't make him a bad character.

Hell we got what like 3 minutes of Tony being a raging drunk and it was never mentioned again?
Different framing in the movie. He wasn't a raging drunk for a long period of time, he was dying and doing the Leaving Las Vegas ending. Once he got a wake up call he was able to live his life. We never got close to alcoholics avengernonomous

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kara Zor-El aka Linda Lee Danvers
Kara (Zor-El aka Linda Lee) Danvers
Kara Danvers
Carol Danvers

She was always "Supergirl plus an Air Force background."

Carol is just so WEIRD.

Her origin is really complicated, she's got a lot of similarities to Supergirl, her current name was originally that of current Shazam (before her predecessor had it), and she was Warbird and Binary for a long time...

She is the ultimately "we'll throw stuff at the walls to see what sticks" Marvel character. That doesn't mean she's bad, but... she's got so much weird baggage. Do we still pretend her weird lover-baby never happened? I'd like to, but I can't....

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
How is her powers not being an accident "not female empowrment". What the heck are they talking about

Is Spiderman emasculated because his powers were accidental?? Carol's a whole Air Force pilot instead of a schlub college student