• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got past that part after many many deaths. It's not that I didn't expect combat, but in my opinion the combat isn't that great. I feel like the Batman combat is better. I mean, why throw people into a fight like the intro fight when we don't have the moves to really deal with it? It's just not fun. At this point, I just throw myself at fights and hope for the best. It's so funny to be Spidey get thrashed by basic enemies trying to save the day.
Glad you made it through finally. If you got the hang of Batman combat (who also would get taken down by basic thugs if you failed), you'll get used to this combat.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Didn't know having some main missions had area restrictions. Or maybe I've never deviated far from the objective before while looking for collectibles nearby

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Plot question (about midgame I guess) - when did Spider-Man learn that
Li was the man behind the attack?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Any advice on getting the 10 takedowns in the first base? I got to 9 last time before I ran out of guys.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
don´t know if it´s the translation but those sayings he lets out during the fights are...not so good, Spidey comes over as a complete douchebag. wish there was an option to turn off the talking when he is fighting.

game won´t click for me unfortunately, combat looks cool but is really easy and amounts to wave after wave of enemies, the open world is Ubisoft style with collectibles and stuff, cutscenes are not so good as i expected them, traversal gets old because you don´t even have to pay attention to the swinging, just hold a button and push x from time to time, it is just like Assassins Creed parcour stuff...

it is a very safe "by the numbers" game which looks good but is complete cookie cutter in all aspects...so far it is 7/10 for me and i don´t expect it to change.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
don´t know if it´s the translation but those sayings he lets out during the fights are...not so good, Spidey comes over as a complete douchebag. wish there was an option to turn of the talking when he is fighting.

game won´t click for me unfortunately, combat looks cool but is really easy and amounts to wave after wave of enemies, the open world is Ubisoft style with collectibles and stuff, cutscenes are not so good as i expected them, traversal gets old because you don´t even have to pay attention to the swinging, just hold a button and push x from time to time, it is just like Assassins Creed parcour stuff...

very by the numbers game which looks good but is complete cookie cutter in all aspects...so far it is 7/10 for me and i don´t expect it to change.
Have you never consumed Spider-Man media before? Talking shit when he fights is sort of his thing. Man the Raimi/Webb movies have damaged so many people...

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change your stance? Earlier on in the game I could walk normally, now I seem to be stuck in a sneaking/alert walk. Spider-Man is in a constant state of paranoia, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love fucking YouTube an their algorithm. Watch a few reviews last week, and now it's like "hey you want the ending, right?"

I wasn't even logged in.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change your stance? Earlier on in the game I could walk normally, now I seem to be stuck in a sneaking/alert walk. Spider-Man is in a constant state of paranoia, lol.
This happened to me for awhile last night as well. It finally calmed down after a few side missions and then I was back high fiving pedestrians.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Kq5kSwf.gif

I assume this isn't a suit spoiler since it was a pre-order bonus, but I made this. Pretty happy with this one. :)

Nov 1, 2017
I went to Best Buy after work to pick this up yesterday and they had dozens of copies left. Seems like not that long ago if you hadn't preordered a highly-anticipated game your chances of finding a copy in-store late on release day were slim-to-none.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MJ in this one is probably one of the better April O Neil-style characters in that
I haven't actually had to save her from one of the life-threatening situations that she put herself in yet (except part of the first one but she bailed me out first so we're even). If she was like "I can take care of myself" and this was the third time I had to bail her out I'd be annoyed.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the main story. Poopsocked the fuck out of this game.

Great ass game and someone that has a history of shitting on collectibles I guess they can work if you think the core gameplay loop is fantastic, which I think it is in this game.

Traversal feels so good due to the controls and animations. Splendid job by Insomniac.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The research station missions are the only missions that feel like a damn chore. I really don't like them and there are so many.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any better Spidersuit power than "Web Blossom" of the classic suit? It literally wipes an entire group on its own and gives you a full focus bar. I mean, why bother "stunning" them or run over them knocking them away, when you can straight knock em out? Am I missing something?

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will this be the best selling IG game? Game ducking rules. Glad I didn't give up after the first few hours.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any better Spidersuit power than "Web Blossom" of the classic suit? It literally wipes an entire group on its own and gives you a full focus bar. I mean, why bother "stunning" them or run over them knocking them away, when you can straight knock em out? Am I missing something?
It's so over powered that I try not to use it.

Oct 27, 2017
I've found this game to be very by the numbers so far tbh. It's not bad by any means, but I can't say any aspect of it is particularly good IMO.

I'm very early on though, so I'll see if that changes.

So I sat down with the game for about 6 hours. Futzed around with the swinging and got the hang of it (no pun intended).

It's a very good game, but if I were to guess what my issues with it are then it'll be that it's too iterative? I was never one to throw around "innovation" as a call to arms but here I feel like they could have pushed both the swinging and combat further. What's there is good, and comes together well, but I'm unsure if it's enough of a push forward.

The reasons I say this is due to all the Arkham talk. This game absolutely wears it's Arkham influence on it's sleeve, but it does the same with older Spidey games. From the PSX games and PS2 games mostly. It's a hodgepodge of both that fits well, but does nothing new. After Sunset Overdrive I hoped Insomniac would push the traversal further here, as that game still has my favorite traversal this gen, but it's not all the different from what came before.

I will give them one thing for sure, I definitely don't mind doing the usual ubi checklist bullshit here because the game is generally fun to play and those are very easy and quick to get through. But if there is one thing I do hate it's the repetitive crime missions. I can live without the same car take downs ever showing up again.

Now I'm going to play some more, unlock some abilities, and actually do some story missions (cleared the backpacks and towers completely before getting to the first Fisk hideout). Overall it's pretty good, but not what I'd call mind blowing. But I don't want to be too concrete with my assessment till I see what the game has to offer as whole.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I just broke the game. I was swinging after an escaping car and I hit a building at exactly the right angle and flew through its wall and now I'm trapped inside. Any way out of this or do I just have to checkpoint reload?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The research station missions are the only missions that feel like a damn chore. I really don't like them and there are so many.

Yeah I don't like them either, haven't encountered a single fun one so far. The Black Cat stuff is also very repetitive, just Where's Waldo x12. Definitely starting to get the complaints about the side content. The side missions are the only ones that feel a bit diverse.

Main story however is a lot better. I did the mission with the cop a while ago and that was a great mix of detective work and action, best segment of the game so far.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you made it through finally. If you got the hang of Batman combat (who also would get taken down by basic thugs if you failed), you'll get used to this combat.

I've played all of the Batman games and I never really had trouble with the basic enemies. Bosses were always my problem in those games. In this game, even the basic guys are a pain and I get thrashed most of the time. It's just some funny thing that happens now, but I don't feel badass at all. Takes me out of the game....

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me someone has made a Robocop esc poster for Spider-cop! Part Man, Part Spider, All Cop!

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lol, just realized in that one scene Peter is literally wearing his webshooters and yet [redacted] still gets it wrong

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't like them either, haven't encountered a single fun one so far. The Black Cat stuff is also very repetitive, just Where's Waldo x12. Definitely starting to get the complaints about the side content. The side missions are the only ones that feel a bit diverse.

Main story however is a lot better. I did the mission with the cop a while ago and that was a great mix of detective work and action, best segment of the game so far.

Yep to many research station missions and black cat ones.
They should have been cut in half .