• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I was talking to my gf about last night was that I really wish the stakes were toned down on the research stations. I really don't want or need the pushing of a button in the research station to trigger a CITY-WIDE CALAMITY THAT WILL RAZE NEW YORK TO THE GROUND like chill the fuck out, game, it's cool. It would have been really cute and enjoyable for me personally if the research stations were educationally framed around environmental issues in the real NYC and Spidey was just doing his part to help.

Like the cell tower thing, in the actual mission the radio waves were literally seconds away from overloading completely and the whole city would be in chaos like holy shit why not just say that there's a little too much radiation or something and Peter needs to recalibrate to prevent potential long term damage? Or taking care of pollutants that would also pose a long term threat as opposed to being moments away from starting the plague.

Just a nitpick obviously but something I was thinking about

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much would an apartment like Norman's cost in real life?

Also, anyone know what Harry's last note said in his room? Unfortunately I cancelled out and before I could read it the cutscene kicked in :(

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
You know, this game really doesn't do anything new. It's Arkham/Ubisoft open world clone but traversal is what makes it stand out, along with an absolutely insane attention to detail. The game is gorgeous, well paced, and has been a tremendous amount of fun. I'd like more variation in the side quests and world quests because they're just a variation of the same five activities over and over, but even with those being kind of stale, they're still fun to do because you're spider-man.

I'm almost done with it. Looking forward to DLC and a sequel. And the Venom suit.

Also, JJJ is basically a mix of Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. Holy shit.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes. Thought I was done with the stealth missions.

Is this the last one?
Miles going to prisoner camp to get antibiotics?

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Had to turn J.J.J off after a while. The constant yelling got annoying and old very fast. Even more so when playing in the evening.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
So what exactly are the requirements for 100% completion? Do you need gold in challanges, to do secret objectives and find all audio logs?

Also, I found a fun thing you can do in cutscenes that I can't wait to show off later.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Okay the Challenge missions are kinda annoying more so than fun. At least the other stuff (bases of the various factions, research stations, landmarks, etc) allow for a more varied approach (ie, in plently of the bases with building in or near them you are more than allowed to take advantage of them) while the challenges kinda force to complete a specific task in a somewhat specific way to get the gold.

So far that's my only real nitpick, otherwise it's been a blast!
Yeah I really wish they didn't have the scoring system, it's kind of a real turn off for me. Especially with how long it takes to restart a challenge

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
At least to me. The story in this game is the epitome of what a video game story can be. It's has the breadth and depth of a TV show where it can build up characters slowly and make you care for them more. But also have the budget and spectical of a block buster movie.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping there's a patch soon to customise the HUD, more specifically be able to disable it altogether, I'm not playing too much at the moment but I've already had a few cool moments where I've had to scrap the footage due to all the HUD elements getting in the way.

All the round web placement indicators, the pop up that always shows up to say press L1-R1 to throw eveytime you can, the mini-map that's permanently on, the big box that always pops up on the side to indicate bonus objectives like Air Launch 4 times, sometimes I've done that objective quickly so it doesn't pop up anymore, and also the box that shows up everytime you get full focus. It's just a lot of stuff on screen which you can't disable at the moment, not sure why there wasn't an option to disable it either as the gameplay trailers they released don't have any of that stuff, but I don't know how it works or if they are planning on adding it in, hopefully they do though.

+1 to this. There is way too much clutter on the screen; it's like stuff on the screen when you're level 40 that wouldn't be on there in other games after you leave the tutorial section in the first few minutes, the massive pop-up text boxes on the left are an eyesore. They need a 'no-HUD' or a minimalist option or something.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I've only used fast travel once and it was that one time it was forced during its introduction. Zipping around the city is just too much fun and I've finally gotten more used to the combat mechanics of this game (my brain finally ditched the Arkham muscle memory), combat is amazing! Though a bit more forgiving than Arkham when it comes to dropping your combo, for sure.
I'm in the middle of Act 2 now, gonna try to finish and plat this game by the weekend. It was a solid 8 when I first started playing it, but now that I'm more familiar with it I feel it's a certain 8.5 with potential to be higher as I get to play more and meet the rest of the villains and the story unfolds.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Question about swinging around:

Do you constantly hold the R2 button and then X to jump, or do you let go of R2 after hitting X? Seems you get more distance/speed if you release R2 because you can control your altitude/drop a bit better.

Question about icons on the map:

I'm still pretty early in the game, but am I able to enter police stations and peters apartment? The icons shows up on the map but I can't figure out how to enter these places??

God damn I love this game. Even the stealth sections are fun for me.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I really wish they didn't have the scoring system, it's kind of a real turn off for me. Especially with how long it takes to restart a challenge

The good thing is, most of the challenges don't last very long. The combat challenges are do-able with the focus perk and chaining together multiple finishers.

The stealth missions just simply come down to learning a way to do it and then doing it really quickly. The key is when possible, to not do the stealth finishers but do the web takedowns. It takes a lot less time.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I'm hoping there's a patch soon to customise the HUD, more specifically be able to disable it altogether, I'm not playing too much at the moment but I've already had a few cool moments where I've had to scrap the footage due to all the HUD elements getting in the way.

All the round web placement indicators, the pop up that always shows up to say press L1-R1 to throw eveytime you can, the mini-map that's permanently on, the big box that always pops up on the side to indicate bonus objectives like Air Launch 4 times, sometimes I've done that objective quickly so it doesn't pop up anymore, and also the box that shows up everytime you get full focus. It's just a lot of stuff on screen which you can't disable at the moment, not sure why there wasn't an option to disable it either as the gameplay trailers they released don't have any of that stuff, but I don't know how it works or if they are planning on adding it in, hopefully they do though.

Just looking back at this now, and everything you've said it spot on. It's mainly why I've moved to photo mode at the moment, because you can't make gifs the same way as Arkham. My focus meter is full practically every 5-10 seconds, so having triangle and circle above an enemy all the time ruins the cinematic feel I would otherwise be going for. I don't need the game to tell me every time my focus meter is full. The lack of HUD customisation is probably one of my few gripes with the game, otherwise it's amazing. :/

OXPlXZE.gif

Anyway, yesterday I visited Chinatown. :)

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about swinging around:

Do you constantly hold the R2 button and then X to jump, or do you let go of R2 after hitting X? Seems you get more distance/speed if you release R2 because you can control your altitude/drop a bit better.
If you hold R2 the whole time Spider-Man is just going to attach himself to a building as soon as he can. If you release R2 it gives you more control over when you attach yourself to the next building because Spider-Man isn't going to do anything until you hit R2 again. I'm not sure if in practice this gets you from point A to point B faster than just holding R2, but it definitely allows for more style and we all know that's what really matters.

I would guess timing things out does add actual practical speed though. Web swinging definitely feels faster when you time it out, and if you're just holding R2 all the time you're probably not going to use the web zip and point jump mechanics which allow for some really fast (and most importantly stylish) movement.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Thanks, but what is your experience when flipping the in-game HDR switch on and off and what are your TV's settings?

Well I haven't switched HDR off (I mean why would I?!), so I can't tell you for certain if it looks worse that way...but I'm gonna guess it probably does lol. I'll check later tonight, just out of curiosity.

Got both TV picture and sound set to game mode, and tweaked from there. I calibrated the picture in game mode through my 1X.

I did turn the brightness up a little bit for Spider-Man, in the in-game menu. Not much though. Default was 50 and I turned it up to 55. Always prefer a darker image myself.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I was talking to my gf about last night was that I really wish the stakes were toned down on the research stations. I really don't want or need the pushing of a button in the research station to trigger a CITY-WIDE CALAMITY THAT WILL RAZE NEW YORK TO THE GROUND like chill the fuck out, game, it's cool. It would have been really cute and enjoyable for me personally if the research stations were educationally framed around environmental issues in the real NYC and Spidey was just doing his part to help.

Like the cell tower thing, in the actual mission the radio waves were literally seconds away from overloading completely and the whole city would be in chaos like holy shit why not just say that there's a little too much radiation or something and Peter needs to recalibrate to prevent potential long term damage? Or taking care of pollutants that would also pose a long term threat as opposed to being moments away from starting the plague.

Hahaha, yes. Last one I did involved mercury and other substances leaking into pipes and possibly killing thousands of people. These missions kind of remind me of the PS1 original Spidey game for some reason.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 60% done with the game . I've lost count of what constitutes the story campaign and the overall collectibles / additional missions completion rate.
Can someone tell me how much I have left?
I just beat Mister Negative

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You can tell the game is quality because they actually bothered to model side mission characters. I'm not a big fan of "Hey, it's me, niche fan favorite character, talking to you on the radio! I don't exist in the world, but if you're lucky maybe there's a static picture of me as I talk!"

Game needs a model viewer, though.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I thought the first act ended at
the explosion on city hall where Jefferson Davies dies and the second act ends with Grand Central station

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least to me. The story in this game is the epitome of what a video game story can be. It's has the breadth and depth of a TV show where it can build up characters slowly and make you care for them more. But also have the budget and spectical of a block buster movie.
This. This. This.

I am shocked to see the complaints about the story but mostly at how few people are praising it. I am glued to the screen every time Spiderman is talking to MJ or Otto or whoever he interacts with. The facial capture, the cutscene direction and the dialogue is right up there with the best of what Naughty Dog has produced. And yes, those blockbuster moments are amazing. its like watching an expensive marvel movie. One with actual stakes. Some of the scenes made me think The Dark Knight and yet they didnt feel out of place. Even the side characters like that cop, Norman and the PMC chick get their moments to shine. no one feels left out in this game, no one is there just to support Spiderman ro give Spidey someone to save, they all have their own arc and their own big character moments. Even the villains get a win every now and then and thats great to see.

If it wasnt for God of War, this would be my game of the year. The swinging and combat are so good they take away from the great story, but i just love what Insomniacs and Marvel have done here. No offense to Insomniac, but this has Marvel written all over it. The storytelling such a massive jump from any Insomniac game before that i am having a hard time believing its from the same studio. I would say it's even better than Naughty Dog games at times simply because of their focus on side characters.

I almost think that the open world nature of the game has kept the story from seeing praise. if this was a linear action game we would all be going through the story moments together and there would be a lot of talk about the big setpieces and holy shit moments.

I played a couple of missions last night that convinced me that insomniacs has finally joined Naughty Dog, Bioware and SSM has the best of the best. A lot of studios can do great combat, quite a few studios can tell a great story, but very few are able to merge the story and gameplay to create some truly unique moments that make them stand out. Naughty Dog did it with that Village level in Uncharted 2, Bioware with those great side quests in ME2 and SSM with that amazing chapter when Kratos goes back to his house. I had a smile on my face the entire time playing these few chapters. They wont win awards for best gameplay but man i love when devs mix things up.

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
You can tell the game is quality because they actually bothered to model side mission characters. I'm not a big fan of "Hey, it's me, niche fan favorite character, talking to you on the radio! I don't exist in the world, but if you're lucky maybe there's a static picture of me as I talk!"

Game needs a model viewer, though.

Not sure if serious, Black Cat quest is exactly this

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know, this game really doesn't do anything new. It's Arkham/Ubisoft open world clone but traversal is what makes it stand out, along with an absolutely insane attention to detail. The game is gorgeous, well paced, and has been a tremendous amount of fun. I'd like more variation in the side quests and world quests because they're just a variation of the same five activities over and over, but even with those being kind of stale, they're still fun to do because you're spider-man.

I'm almost done with it. Looking forward to DLC and a sequel. And the Venom suit.

Also, JJJ is basically a mix of Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. Holy shit.
Its influences are extremely apparent. But, to me, theres nothing wrong with refining already good concepts. As a game, I would rate it around an 8/10. But as the spiderman experience I've been waiting for since I was a kid playing spiderman games since the NES, it's a 10/10.

Oct 27, 2017
What makes me sad is the World Trade Center knock off.
The original one looked so good in the reveal trailer...
5725764-insomniaceasterfulli.png
You mean the freedom tower knockoff? Sorry, a bit sensitive given today's date.

I have to check to see if this patch took out the marriage proposal.

I'm impressed how the city is different at night - stores are actually shuttered when closed, there are more garbage trucks, street sweepers, and taxis on the road, and the background skylines are lit up (and look better than the daytime ones).

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
This. This. This.

I am shocked to see the complaints about the story but mostly at how few people are praising it. I am glued to the screen every time Spiderman is talking to MJ or Otto or whoever he interacts with. The facial capture, the cutscene direction and the dialogue is right up there with the best of what Naughty Dog has produced. And yes, those blockbuster moments are amazing.

I'll give you the action scenes and camera work. They're pretty good, but there is nothing special about this game's story. It's just okay. Bog standard, paint-by-numbers plot. It's not bad, but nobody is praising it because it's not particularly noteworthy. It's just there.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

It makes me laugh every time. It's like if Spidey didn't happen upon that station at that very moment, NYC would've been destroyed.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
So i %100 completed the game and got my platinum trophy.
Man, WHAT A GAME!
Easily one of my favorite games of all time. As a Spider-Man fan i couldn't be happier. Now the eternal wait for DLC begins!