Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just realized I haven't seen a single Scorsese me.
giphy.gif

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
In big Hollywood film productions, time on set is the most expensive part of the shoot. You have a large crew that needs to be paid every day they are on set. You need to make sure the takes are consistent. The more shit you have on set the more likely something goes askew. So the work between setups can take more time. Which can mean longer days and/or more days. That becomes expensive really fast. So building all of those sets to that detail would cost more when the whole production is considered.
This—this is the most likely reason. They were supposed to shoot in March, so they surely spent December to Feb setting up all the sets, gathering (and relocating where necessary) a crew, so on. On a film production you spend an obscene amount of money getting everything set up, keeping everyone on hand, and then taking everything down. the outbreak came at just the right time to cost the shoot a maximum amount of money as they now have to pay to keep some crew around in some capacity and have likely had to scratch sets or pay to keep them up.
Didn't say they produced them. They bought the finished movie which skipped theatres in most or all countries.
but you're comparing it to a production. correct, in those cases they bought a finished movie and distributed it. and did not pay near $50 million dollars. that looks to be the production budget of those two movies. in this case they would be funding the production. not buying a finished movie. so the comparison doesn't make sense because distribution =/= production. edit: and for the record when a company buys distribution rights, they don't like, buy out the entire movie and then keep all profit going forward. netflix paid to distribute annihilation and cloverfield paradox and Paramount got some percentage of the revenue back, according to whatever distribution deal they worked out.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think the budget has anything to do with the coronavirus. There's been rumors of $225m back in February.

IDK, that seems like a lot of fuckin money for a western. I didnt think it was even true but now with this WSJ thing I guess it is.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think the budget has anything to do with the coronavirus. There's been rumors of $225m back in February.

IDK, that seems like a lot of fuckin money for a western. I didnt think it was even true but now with this WSJ thing I guess it is.

Ok damn! even with the asking price for De Niro and DiCaprio that's huge and I'm not sure why.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at the idea that the budget is ballooning because of "Scorsese's overreliance on CGI." that's hilarious.

A big part of it increasing is probably due to the covid production delays. Paying to have people in a holding pattern, to tear down and store sets/props that you just spent a ton of money making and building and putting up. Stuff adds up.

There's been rumors and/or about this movie going well over budget (enough that Paramount was gonna drop it) well before corona hit.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Who writes this stuff? Blinding light? Drunken sailor? It's like reading NY Post headlines in paragraph format.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't know in a Coronoa world with Tiger King popping off I can see Netflix not wanting to run leaner and meaner stuff
To be fair, it took 5 years of filming to make Tiger King. I imagine they just bought it from the production company so the cost would have been baked into the acquisition fee at some point, but either way.. not exactly a lean production. The fact it pulled in the numbers it has though (greater than the Irishman in the first week) does speak to whether it's worthwhile to spend that much on a movie.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Well no. Netflix cuts a ton of costs that traditional movies have. Advertising costs are way down, you don't need distribution (beyond like 3 theaters), you don't share profits with movie theaters, etc. So it wouldn't need to generate $500M in value. It might even need to generate less than $200M. We don't really know and it probably depends on what platform it lands at.

I was referring to traditional Hollywood studios. If this goes to Netflix, then it's all funny money.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

For what? It is a period drama in the oil fields. Unless they are building period correct oil drills and mining for real oil, it shouldn't be that much

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't heard of this project and it sounds good. But man, while most of me is saying give Marty the money, $225m is not playing around money. I think he'll get it from Netflix, though.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
People shocked that Scorcese wants 200m when Battleship, Black Panther, The Lone Ranger all cost more to make and probably won't come close to the quality.
Movies cost a lot of money, especially with top talent and production values.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit double-faced after he trashed streaming because it's not a silver screen release, now he's licking their boots to help create his vision because they got theme park money?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I hope it pulls through, this is actually a pretty cool thing to be happening for us here in Oklahoma. I know we're a shitty state, but there's still a good amount of arts and liberal people here, such as my brother who is in film school as an aspiring editor.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
17 million viewers in 5 days:

www.businessinsider.com

Netflix's 'The Irishman' was completed by only 18% of US viewers who watched it on the first day, but that's on par with some other Netflix releases

About 3.9 million viewers watched Martin Scorsese's "The Irishman" on its first day on Netflix, and 17.1 million people watched it over the first five days.

I imagine those numbers went up significantly after the oscar buzz.
Adam Sandler pulls bigger viewership numbers at a tiny fraction of the cost, so if the argument is that Netflix has a lot to gain by throwing nine more digits at Scoresese it doesn't hold much weight. This $200M+ boondoggle is just 'who wants to look good next to a famous director?' and nothing more.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The Irishman was incredible and my heart says give the man all the money in the world.

But being in a post corona world ravaging the world economy, I can see companies being hesitant on large productions.

Oct 27, 2017
People shocked that Scorcese wants 200m when Battleship, Black Panther, The Lone Ranger all cost more to make and probably won't come close to the quality.
Movies cost a lot of money, especially with top talent and production values.

Avengers Endgame cost $350m and this Scorsese film will probably be better in its first 5 mins than the entirety of Endgame lol.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can imagine Leo commanding a hefty fee, over 25 million which is a fair chunk and who knows what other actors are on the film. Maybe he could cut down on the CGI, who knows if that's cheaper, I think he does tend to go grand with some shots and they do come off a little fake so I don't know why he bothers, maybe he could reign it in.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
It's Netflix chance for a DiCaprio movie and it's with Scorsese. It's Oscar material without any campaigning, but with mainstream appeal. It's almost a perfect fit for them.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why this would need to cost over $200m but Netflix should give it to Marty.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This sounds good, hope it gets the funding.

I would love a Scorsese biopic about Jim Jones with Leo in the leading role.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Apple TV+ needs more subscribers, it'll be a greater benefit with less of a financial strain for Apple to fund this compared to Netflix.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone deserves a 200 million dollar budget, it's Scorsese.
Does he? The Departed, his highest grossing movie made $290 million worldwide. He makes great movies but they're not known for a massive box office.
Well, it is set in the past [1920s] so it would require extensive costuming, set production and CGI set extensions. We all know how Scorsese is mad for historical accuracy.
Period pieces are done all the time, they don't require that amount of money.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Guessing a lot of his budgets these days are from his over-reliance on CG.

Over reliance? That's amazing use of CG! It's so refreshing seeing it used more subtly as scene enhancement than entire reason for the movie to exist. I had no idea that these scenes were so manipulated. Props to that FX company!

With regards to the new film, the subject based on the Wiki synopsis seems very interesting. It's the kind of historic truth to light that the world needs to see. Like what Watchmen tried to do for Black Wall Street. Having somebody like Martin and Leo do it give it eyeballs and credibility. I hope that it's funded!

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Even though Netflix bent over backwards to try and make him happy with the most expensive drama ever made that had a running time of over three and a half hours (and spent $50m + on award campaigning and walked away with a grand total of ZERO Oscars for their trouble), watch Scorsese happily move over to Apple for this new film.

Personally I want to see Apple really jump into the streaming wars by stepping up and financing a full slate of (12, 15, hell 20) studio level pictures every year. What better way to start than paying waaaaaay over the odds for this picture?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it took 5 years of filming to make Tiger King. I imagine they just bought it from the production company so the cost would have been baked into the acquisition fee at some point, but either way.. not exactly a lean production. The fact it pulled in the numbers it has though (greater than the Irishman in the first week) does speak to whether it's worthwhile to spend that much on a movie.
Yeah, but lets be real you think Tiger King costed Netflix a lot? And small production companies are doing this shit all the time. Netflix can write a quick check and maybe get 35 million views and weeks of press.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Adam Sandler pulls bigger viewership numbers at a tiny fraction of the cost, so if the argument is that Netflix has a lot to gain by throwing nine more digits at Scoresese it doesn't hold much weight. This $200M+ boondoggle is just 'who wants to look good next to a famous director?' and nothing more.

You have to balance in the "prestige" element. Putting up Oscar numbers, even just nominations, means something to certain people. There is more than one kind of audience for Netflix. And maybe Sarandos just wants to say he was part of film history other than just the money-making side. Producing a Scorsese film that no one else would make will do that.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
You have to balance in the "prestige" element. Putting up Oscar numbers, even just nominations, means something to certain people. There is more than one kind of audience for Netflix. And maybe Sarandos just wants to say he was part of film history other than just the money-making side. Producing a Scorsese film that no one else would make will do that.
I agree the difference between Oscar "nominated" and "winning" is largely academic, but that distinction becomes more difficult to ignore as the cost of it climbs past $200 million. There's never any guarantee that you'll get there, even with Scorsese and Leo involved. Only the Indianapolis Colts proudly put "Finalist" or "Participant" up on their shelf.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds interesting but I just don't see how anyone would make a profit from it, it doesn't really sound like the kind of subject matter a ton of people are gonna want to see in theaters and I bet it clocks in over 2 1/2 hours.

The Irishman would have been a disaster in theaters but since its the first big Scorcese/DeNiro/Pacino/Pesci movie in a long time, it got a lot of buzz and probably helped drive Netflix subs. I just don't see the next Scorcese movie having that kind of juice again, especially since most people weren't really blown away by Irishman.

Tbf a lot of the issues Irishman had were pacing. It would have been heavily edited in theaters. Netflix clearly didn't care.

I thought it wasn't long enough. It didn't to enough to flesh out the early relationship between Deniro and Pachino. It should have been a mini series.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Netflix are going to need some top-rate theatrical content to woo audiences into the cinemas that they'll take over from AMC's insolvency.