• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered this about our particular demographic. Did your SO change their name? Did you care if they did or didn't? Why or why not?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I wouldn't have cared if she didn't want to. I actually would have preferred to take her last name.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. She kept hers and I was totally cool with it. It's a lame tradition to change surnames IMO, especially the patriarchal pressure for women to the the ones to do it in heterosexual marriages.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
She did. She didn't like her name, and was eager to change it.

I wouldn't have cared if she didn't want to change it, though.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Nope, my wife kept her surname. I'm pretty progressive, but for half a second my ego was bruised. Then I realized that's fucking stupid and got over it.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Her surname is super common, mine is one of a kind. It's just safer if she keeps her own name.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
My wife changed her last name, but only really because she never liked it. It's nice to have the same last name now.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I wanted to change our last names into a stupid mashup (no hyphen!) but she wanted my last name. Oh, what could have been.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, my wife took my last name. It was completely her choice, I didn't pressure her one way or the other.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
She did yes. I think once you have kids its weird for everyone to have different last names but people can do whatever they want.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
No. His last name is already hyphenated and it doesn't really make sense for a gay couple to take either one of each other names. It's a patriarchal tradition.

OP
OP
TerminusFox

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She did yes. I think once you have kids its weird for everyone to have different last names but people can do whatever they want.
As I understand it, a good chunk of the women I know who kept their surnames, let all of their kids have their father's surname and that's what's most commonly practiced.

Never heard of everyone picking and choosing

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
We both did. Her maiden name is both of our middle names, and my surname is both of our surnames. We didn't want the hyphen

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a friend, when he and his wife married, they merged their last names into a new name (not hyphenated, but took like the first 3 letters of each or something like that and made a new name with it) and each took the new last name

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Not married yet, but if we do tie the knot, I've made it clear that I don't have any problem with her keeping her last name. I'd never change mine, so I have no problem if she doesn't want to change hers.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Nope she didn't. Anyway in Quebec women keep their last name when they get married. It has been like tbat since the 80's iirc.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, a good chunk of the women I know who kept their surnames, let all of their kids have their father's surname and that's what's most commonly practiced.

Never heard of everyone picking and choosing
Yeah, to me that is weird. I'd want my kid to share my last name. But again, do whatever you want.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife didn't. She said she didn't really care either way at the time and I certainly didn't push for it. It's never made much sense to me.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife took my last name.

I originally said I didn't care, but the more I thought about it, the more I did care. Her father is a self-admitted asshole and is proud of it, a racist, a bigot, and cheated on my wife's mother (and is now married to the other cheater).

I don't want that kind of garbage as my last name.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My wife did not take my last name because then her name would have been really, really stupid. Like Stacy Stacy or Erin Erin.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
No to both. It's kind of a pointless hassle, plus if you are any sort of freelancer your name is your brand (as dumb as that sounds).

I had a co-worker change his name from Wiener to a better, made up name when he got married. If that name wasn't already ruined before, Anthony Wiener kind of ran it into the ground.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Not is our custom. The only thing would be if we have a kid and she travels with him/her, then she would need to birth certificate if surnames on passports are different.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Nope - we both kept our same last names. We decided early on that it's not worth the hassle of changing your surname just to adhere to an archaic societal norm.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. She didn't take mine. We discussed it. Basically she introduces herself using my last name in any social space, or whatever, but professional she's still her maiden name. I don't care either way. We good.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Getting married in a couple months. My fiancee is changing her name to mine, mostly just because hers is considerably more generic than mine.

My wife did the exact opposite, she took my name because it was generic and easier to spell/pronounce then hers and she was sick of it. Now when she gives her name no one ever asks her "say that again?" several times followed by "okaaaayyyy spell that for me"

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
My wife did the exact opposite, she took my name because it was generic and easier to spell/pronounce then hers and she was sick of it. Now when she gives her name no one ever asks her "say that again?" several times followed by "okaaaayyyy spell that for me"
I can definitely see that being the case with a hard to understand name. Both ours are easy though (White, Carlyle).

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
She kept hers. It's cooler anyways. And we did try it at least once. But the lines were too long at the agency. fuck that. lol

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
She did but I told her she didn't have to. After dealing with the giant hassle it was she said she should havee just kept her last name.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
My wife wasn't fond of her maiden name so she took mine, and I wouldn't have been upset if she wanted to keep her name.

Changing your name is a pain in the ass though, just FYI. So much bureaucracy to wade through when you do it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Neither of us changed our surnames because 1/ it really doesn't matter, 2/ who wants to go through the hassle of redoing all the paperwork etc for getting a surname changed in all legal plces.

Oct 25, 2017
We both thought hyphenated names are stupid and knew we wanted kids that wouldn't have to deal with separate names, so we took mine. In the end, we just liked my name more over hers.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She officially made a compound name(Her maiden name hyphenated with my last name). She agreed our children will have just my last name for a couple reasons.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
My wife kept her last name. There was a bit of pressure from our parents, and it didn't really matter to either of us. Will probably give our kids both of our last names (i.e. combining with a hypen). Hers is one syllable and mine is two so it wouldn't be a mouthful.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
My wife changed hers after some deliberation. I did care, but really shouldn't have. it was her decision. My last name is Strike. So it wasn't all bad!

I know the process was a pain for her though, so I can see why people choose not to.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, it took like a week to put through the necessary changes to documents and stuff to change my wife's name. People are really overstating the difficulty here.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
No and no.

I didn't really care either way. My mom hyphenated and ended up saying it was more trouble than it was worth.