• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to me that people making bank are somehow still too stupid to live within their means.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah get f*cked. Talk about being bad with money m no sympathy. Most here already pointed out the bogus expenses.

Dec 2, 2017
Screen_Shot_2017-05-02_at_2.43.53_PM.png

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I make barely 5% of that but I'm saving tons of money every month. Not having kids, having minimal overheads, and living frugally in a cheap part of the country sure is nice (Covid has definitely helped by cutting my social life down). I couldn't imagine the stress of having to juggle all that shit going out of my account every month.

Their monthly rent is like double my annual rent, jesus christ.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Imagine how much money they'd be losing every month if they'd been forced into a 5 million house, good thing they managed to find a tiny place to live for just 2 million. My heart breaks thinking about their struggles.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It turns out if you find ways to spend all your money you can't save very much when you're rich. Who would've thought.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't a third of Americans make less than $40,000 a year? Who gives a shit about the people making 10x more?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It turns out if you find ways to spend all your money you can't save very much when you're rich. Who would've thought.
But also, this example is showing that they are saving mountains of cash for their own retirement and for the future education of their children.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That's the thing tho. Like NYC is kinda funny that way. If you aren't 'wealthy' people with nice paychecks feel like they have to keep up with the joneses and end up being cash poor. If you see a middle aged lawyer and the door guy having a smoke outside of the firm they both work it, its wouldn't surprise me if the door guy has better credit, more liquid cash.

Dudes spend 50k a year just on private school, an extremely overpriced Manhattan apartment + insane garage fees for the family Subaru, a separate mortgage on a summer house, etc. Meanwhile the doorman lives in a Bronx in a bigger apartment and drives a paid for benz.
Yeah its fucking stupid. i knew how many people are cash poor by asking a simple question about the luxury car is that a lease or is it financed.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Three vacations a year. $3000/year to charity. $106,000 PER YEAR on child care and food? Over a million dollars by the time your kids are 10 years old? Fuck off.

If you're making $400K per year and just barely scraping by, you do not deserve to be making $400K per year.

Professor Lich

Resettlement Advisor
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They put more away in a 401K than I make in a year.

Hard to feel bad when they also spend 20 grand a month?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You say this, but then you actually see someone post about how they are struggling while making 250k.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao who fucking pays 6746$ a MONTH for their mortgage?!

Don't buy a fucking mansion and you'll be fine geez.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to not feel wealthy when you set 2 million bones on fire to feed your ego.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
This is beyond insulting.....Give my family that income for a few years and we'd NEVER HAVE TO WORK AGAIN FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES without changing our lifestyle at all

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They listed a budget. Just because they have all their money allocated within their budget doesn't mean they are scraping by. It's just weird framing.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Gap not Gucci! Toyota not Range Rover!

but we live in a 1.6million dollar home. AhahahhhhahahhhhhhhHHahahahahahah

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
They were also able to save $400k for their down payment on the 2 million dollar home. There's no way a family like this wouldn't have money in the bank either.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lmao who fucking pays 6746$ a MONTH for their mortgage?!

Don't buy a fucking mansion and you'll be fine geez.

I pay around $900/month for my mortgage. If they moved into a place they could afford, with just that alone, they would have an additional $70K in their pockets every year...which is more than what the average person, including myself, makes in a year.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the key is to spend some time being poor so that you learn how to live off of less and appreciate the value of money but never become a slave to it.

Like, every dollar above my budget from when I was at 60k is for investing and valuable life experiences at this point. I do not care if Kevin at work sees me driving a 2009 Honda Civic and knows I can afford much better. Its paid off, going to drive this thing into the ground.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Wait a minute, did they just try to make people feel bad that someone has a mortgage + property taxes of $8k per month and also able to pay out $18k year to their child's 529?

That's not struggling lol. That is like 6x my mortgage.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not going to defend the ridiculous use case in the article, but one thing that hits harder as your income climbs is that your kids will get less help for college. A friend of mine is an experienced engineer at Facebook, and while he makes a ton of money, his kid receives zero financial aid as a result, putting a pretty large burden on him.

He wasn't as highly paid for most of his career, so it's not like he was able to put away massive amounts of money for college over time, so a good chunk of his Facebook money train goes right to the college.

Don't get me wrong - he still does quite well, but not as well as you would think when you hear what his gross income is.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did a quick lookup on zillow for median house prices in the big cities they mentioned.

Median Home price:
NY - $654k
LA - $764k
SF - $1.4m

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Seriously, once their kids are out of daycare and pre-school then their savings potential are going to go through the roof. But even $5,500 is INSANELY expensive. You could buy a really nice house w/ that kind of money!!

All young families are in famine until their kids go to public school.

Now, if they choose to keep them in private school then no sympathy.