• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the more well-known character?

• Pikachu

Votes: 570 41.6%
  • Mairo

Votes: 800 58.4%

• Total voters

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
MarioNSMBUDeluxe.png

VS
Pok%C3%A9mon_Pikachu_art.png

Mario and Pikachu are easily the biggest gaming icons, but which of the two is bigger?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
My mum can name both but is more likely to make a mario reference. I bet it's the same with a lot of other families.

Also I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I know some people just call Pikachu, 'Pokemon'.

Mar 11, 2021

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Who is the bigger icon?

en.wikipedia.org

Pikachu - Wikipedia

40 centimetres (1 ft 4 in) tall

characterprofile.fandom.com

Mario

Mario is the titular protagonist of the Super Mario franchise and is the mascot of the company Nintendo. As a baby, Mario was destined for greatness as one of the seven Star Children. Mario grew up alongside his brother Luigi in New Donk City and later resided in the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario's...
155cm (5'1) (canon height)

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that answers the question at all.

Pikachu is Pokemon's mascot, yes. But the series is not called Pikachu. And there are of course tons of other marketable Pokemon that make the series so popular.

I think Mario is the more recognizable icon for all ages. He's also the basis and focus of every game in his series.
Pikachu is THE Pokémon at the end of the day and more recognizable for most.
Doesn't mean Mario is small, far from it but Pokémon with Pikachu as the posterboy can't be beaten, not with all this media presence

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
en.wikipedia.org

Pikachu - Wikipedia

characterprofile.fandom.com

Mario

Mario is the titular protagonist of the Super Mario franchise and is the mascot of the company Nintendo. As a baby, Mario was destined for greatness as one of the seven Star Children. Mario grew up alongside his brother Luigi in New Donk City and later resided in the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario's...
oh no no no no no Pikachu is in shambles rn

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's Mario, or as you have it "Mairo" ;)

Wasn't there some poll years back when he was more recognisable then mickey mouse?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Huh, surprising results. I would have thought Mario in a landslide.

To me the distinction is that Mario is the mascot for Nintendo and arguably video games in general. If you even know the name of a Super Mario Bros. game, you already know who Mario is.

Pikachu is the best-known Pokemon by a large margin, but not the face of the franchise. It was even made impossible to obtain in Gen V.

I suppose what would give Pikachu the edge here is that Pokemon is much more of a multimedia franchise (the TCG and the anime are both extremely prolific parts of it that have taken on lives of their own) than Mario is, and Pikachu is front and center in the anime.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
In the gaming world I'd say Mario but in general terms I think Pikachu has more worldwide appeal/popularity

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Pikachu is massive, sure. But Mario almost defines the medium. He's the Mickey Mouse of video games.
Yeah, that's what limits mario actually.

Pokémon is not limited to videogames. As The Pokémon Company themselves have said, their mission is "to enrich both the real world and the virtual world with the Pokémon characters".

corporate.pokemon.co.jp

Philosophy | The Pokémon Company

The Pokémon Company Website. Our mission statement is to enrich both the real world and the virtual world with the Pokémon characters.

From their own bus to the yearly Pikachu outbreak event in Japan. It even appears in official government ads from Singapore.

img-info.jpg

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Theyre roughly in the same league so I dont think this is clear cut.

The Pokemon Company has been vastly better at expanding their franchise outside of gaming for over 20 years, whereas NCL isolated Mario mostly just to gaming until the last few years. Mario is just now getting a push in cross media endeavors that can rival Pokemon.

I do think in terms of the overall IP, that Mario has more cross generational appeal than Pokemon. All ages enjoy Mario whereas Pokemon in my life experience seems like only something that's enjoyed by kids and adults who grew up with it as kids.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Probably tied. There are lots of knock off unlicensed merchandise of both as well so even in countries where neither has a strong legal presence the characters would be recognizable

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The yellow chinchilla thanks to the show, the app and the trading card game.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give it to Mario. Yes, Pokémon is massive, and yes, Pikachu is the overall Mascot, but Mario is far more front and center in his own franchise than Pikachu is in Pokémon.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Getting deja vu now, to when some people said Detective Pikachu will beat Toy Story 4, because it's the biggest franchise in media or something.

I think Mario is more engraved in pop culture, even if it's sometimes just a lazy Italian joke. Older people I know could name Mario but would vaguely call Pikachu 'pokemon' if they remember him at all. It's anecdotal evidence, but I feel confident whatever. Specific pikachu references feels more like an early 2000s thing.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pikachu is in every form of media, Mario not so much. It also doesn't have the risk of looking like a random guy to anyone not familiar with it

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Globally its definitely Pikachu. From my experience, a lot of people in south asia does not know who Mario is but almost everyone knows pikachu due to anime.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
These days I even doubt that "Pikachu" is the most popular Pokemon among Pokemon fans. Knowing how the things are, it should be Charizard.

I'll say "Mario" or "Mairo", but Pokemon is a bigger franchise these days.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Mario (but still love Pikachu)

I wouldn't be surprised if Pikachu is more popular than Mario worldwide, though.

Oct 30, 2017
I wanna say Pikachu.

My family's cousins who live in the mountainous areas of the Philippines, especially who are in their 40s and are not exposed to mainstream or popular culture, are more familiar with Pokemon/Pikachu than Mario. Even the word "Pokemon," with or without associating with Pikachu, has permeated into the rural culture, especially since there's a bunch of Pokemon stickers on buildings, motorcycles, and the like.