Oct 26, 2017
"Somehow" loses shoes is so weird when you're talking about Death Valley. Just sounds like fuckery because no one in their right mind would take their shoes off in that temperature.

You can somehow think you're good to walk across a beach in temperatures like a fraction that hot and learn a lesson to never do that again

DinosaurJerky

Nov 19, 2022
If it wasn't this, it would've been diving into an acid pool at Yellowstone, swimming across Niagara Falls at night wearing chainmail, etc.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people *overly* buy into it being a "dry heat", not realizing that once you're into the 110's and above… you're still gonna die if you aren't safe. People underestimate how quickly you dehydrate in those conditions and how hard it is to tell if you're not familiar with it.

Can confirm. I grew up in Florida, and went to basic training in San Antonio in August. 100 degrees(+) there felt like high 80s in Florida to me, other than the sensation of the sun beating on your skin. 90+ in Florida feels *way* worse because you're drenched in sweat and it doesn't evaporate. They actual evaporation in dry heat actually makes you feel cooler, even though you aren't. Also, standing in the shade there made a tremendous and noticeable difference, where it doesn't as much in high humidity. I certainly *felt* like I could walk around all day in that heat compared to Florida, even though I knew better.

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
It's both a lack of self preservation and just general ignorance of even basic facets of nature.

Saw a woman recently admit that she didn't know that you could just take fruit off a tree and eat it, because her friend angrily confronted her about the fact that she buys lemons despite having a healthy lemon tree in the yard. "I thought you had to do something to them first."

Westerners are just fucking cooked, I swear.
Almost literally in this case!

it's not really a Westerner thing though, more tourists being unaware of local risks in general. Tourists from Asia drowning at beaches in Australia is all too common because they aren't aware of the risks associated with rips.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
If you do go I highly recommend taking the narrows hike. It's very much shielded from the heat because you're walking through a canyon with shallow water. One of the best hikes I've ever partaken in.

Just keep in mind the warnings on if it is safe. Been on that trail and it is awesome but sometimes it can be subject to flash floods (they usually have a sign at the start alerting you conditions and will also close it sometimes too)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Almost literally in this case!

it's not really a Westerner thing though, more tourists being unaware of local risks in general. Tourists from Asia drowning at beaches in Australia is all too common because they aren't aware of the risks associated with rips.
I would say that overestimating your ability to swim is a lot more defensible than going to a place called "Death Valley" and being surprised when your health is at risk.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Capitalism has separated us so far from Mother Nature that we can look at a place called "Death Valley" that regularly reaches temperatures of 120-130 degrees during summer and be like "Yeah sure, it'll be fine."
That's a very astute observation, haha. We truly do feel as a species that we've fully conquered the world… and yet we most certainly did not do that as individuals.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Everyone I know goes in the spring to see the flower blooms.

635913217086124590-F45763F5-155D-4519-3E57C25C891567BD-large.jpg

It's not a trip I've made for myself yet, but I want to.
Oh wow I didn't know this was a thing. I'll have to adjust, I wanted to go when it was flooded earlier this year. Unfortunately I hear that that happens once every few years so I doubt it'll flood again next year for me to visit.

Phone cameras suck of you're trying to get pictures of wildlife, I can only assume that's why they're trying to get closer. Which furthers that they're stupid, of course. That's why I have a 300mm zoom lens on my DSLR.
Nah these guys had actual cameras with some pretty big lenses. Obviously I don't know the full technical setup but they didn't have cellphone cameras which is the worst part about this. I was more than happy with my cellphone pics lol

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently theres a couple of tiny species of bat that live out there somehow fighting against god's twisted design that is this valley.

jrkpRmP.png

Daww..

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hmmm, people gotta be more aware of the national parks in the summer....i think fall/spring are better for the most part. Death Valley, looks like winter. I was planning to take my parents to Grand Canyon...but thinking about sometime in the fall.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
How does one lose their shoes. Like really now.
Flip Flops are just slippers you hold onto with your big toe

A wet sandy beach can suction them right off of your foot

Imagine going up or down a large dune and your foot goes deep into the sand and you pull your leg out and the sandals stay behind buried in sand so hot you get third degree burns after several minutes

Thats how I imagine it happened

That said Ive been to Vegas in flip flops lol

It was raining, it was kind of chilly actually, the wet ground was so smooth I slipped hard and got gravel digging into my leg, lesson learned

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
What is up with all these stupid international travelers visiting death valley in the summer?! Handing out Darwin awards left and right. I know plenty of US tourists have died doing the same.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Still remember when I walked bare footed on a beach in Turkey and had to skip and jump between shade it got so hot, never made that mistake again. This shit must have felt lime walking on fire.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Hmmm, people gotta be more aware of the national parks in the summer....i think fall/spring are better for the most part. Death Valley, looks like winter. I was planning to take my parents to Grand Canyon...but thinking about sometime in the fall.
I just went there. South Rim is disgusting with tourists but if you go in the evening then it's not bad since all the busses have to leave lol

North Rim was so nice, hardly anyone there outside of the visitor/lounge area.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I was with Palm Springs a couple weeks ago. I never experienced heat like that before. We just decided not to go out after noon. I can't see how anyone can handle Dearh Valley heat in the summer.

Oct 25, 2017
I was with Palm Springs a couple weeks ago. I never experienced heat like that before. We just decided not to go out after noon. I can't see how anyone can handle Death Valley heat in the summer.
The key to doing DV in the summer is that there's a lot of the park 1000-3000 ft above sea level that is considerably cooler than the max at Furnace Creek/Badwater, so you can visit those areas, like Ubehebe Crater or the Wildrose/Panament Valley areas during the midday hours, then do the valley basin starting after 4pm or so. Maybe stopping by at the visitor center middle of the day for obligatory temperature sign photo.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The key to doing DV in the summer is that there's a lot of the park 1000-3000 ft above sea level that is considerably cooler than the max at Furnace Creek/Badwater, so you can visit those areas, like Ubehebe Crater or the Wildrose/Panament Valley areas during the midday hours, then do the valley basin starting after 4pm or so. Maybe stopping by at the visitor center middle of the day for obligatory temperature sign photo.
Some of us went to the tramway and it was like night and day. It was beautiful weather.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Yeah this is probably a big part of it. People are very ignorant of just what that kind of heat feels like and what it can do especially if they are coming from places that don't experience anywhere near that. I think especially at that level people can underestimate what even a few extra degrees can do.
I got an education about heat this year. I live in Vegas. Grew up in Maryland. Spent the past 20 years in Cali. When Cali gets hot, 85-90 is uncomfortable but bearable. When MD gets hot and HUMID, 90-95 with that humidity feels like you're walking around in a sauna and the stickiness never goes away. You roll down the windows and hope for the best. Vegas is a different thing altogether. The sun HURTS out here. The heat ABSORBS into to your clothes, so it feels like it EMANATES from whatever you're wearing. It's no exaggeration to say that it feels like opening an oven door. And the pavement? When we had those 118-120 degree days? You stay INSIDE. It's health hazard to walk around outside otherwise. This is the only place I've lived when I was close to having a heatstroke.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just open your oven with your face a little too close if you wanna know what hellfire feels like. No need to risk your life when all you have to risk are your eyebrows to get a taste.