Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.cleveland.com

Man loses shoes, severely burns feet while walking in Death Valley

The 42-year-old man from Belgium was flown by helicopter to a hospital.

A news release from the National Parks Service says it was about 123 degrees Saturday when the 42-year-old man, a Belgium resident, was rescued from the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes in Death Valley. Park rangers suspect the man somehow lost his flip-flops while taking a walk on the dunes, but there were communication issues.

The man's family members called for help and other people at the park carried the man to a parking lot. Rangers determined the man needed to be taken to a hospital, but it was unsafe for a helicopter to land safely because of the extreme temperatures, which reduce rotor lift.
Just holy shit all around.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Can we just leave these people out there? It's called Death Valley for a reason.

Jan 23, 2024
My man was walking on sand dunes in 123 degree weather in flip-flops

People really need to be better educated about risks of extreme heat weather, including but not limited to just not going to Death Valley in the peak of the summer. Way too many people don't grasp the risks are the same if not greater than extreme cold weather.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you go into Death Valley wearing flip flops anyway?

Is there just something about Death Valley that attracts unprepared Europeans?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a problem I had not even considered. Too hot to fucking walking.

Also third degree burns are serious stuff. He'll probably deal with this for the rest of his life.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
My man was walking on sand dunes in 123 degree weather in flip-flops

People really need to be better educated about risks of extreme heat weather, including but not limited to just not going to Death Valley in the peak of the summer. Way too many people don't grasp the risks are the same if not greater than extreme cold weather.
People who go usually know what they're doing, or at least believe they do.

There's really nothing out there except for that to go to.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
What is wrong with people who continue to go out and hike and shit in these temps? It's so weird to me because of the stories I've read about deaths, some are noted to be experienced hikers but if you're experienced, how do you not look at the temperature that day and go, "Unsafe"?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism has separated us so far from Mother Nature that we can look at a place called "Death Valley" that regularly reaches temperatures of 120-130 degrees during summer and be like "Yeah sure, it'll be fine."

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the rangers have special air-conditioned vehicles to take people to the hospital if need be?

Mark me down as that being a place I will never go.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I've made it a point to hammer home to my European co-workers that Death Valley is quite literal and you should never go there in the summer, not even if you go in a car, not even if you bring a lot of water, not even if you bring your phone.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Man we should name this place something that would indicate that simply being there is liable to cause death. But what... that is the question.

Jan 23, 2024
People who go usually know what they're doing, or at least believe they do.

There's really nothing out there except for that to go to.

I mostly mean out-of-town/state/country tourists, especially visiting from places where 100+ F weather is not common. They're way more likely to put themselves at risk walking around in 120 degree weather thinking it'll just be like a day at the beach back home.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Third degree burns on his feet? That's going to be a lasting issue.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The dunes are very close to the two main ranger stations, Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells, they are super accessible and a favorite spot because they are just right there when you are driving around.

"Oh okay I guess that makes sense, I'll wiki it and see what it's like."

qHo9aLj.png

WHY WOULD YOU GO THERE IN JULY?

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The dunes are in between and very close to the two main ranger stations, Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells, they are super accessible and a favorite spot because they are just right there when you are driving around.
They had too much fun naming those. Should have been "Why are you here?" and "You will die"

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly mean out-of-town/state/country tourists, especially visiting from places where 100+ F weather is not common. They're way more likely to put themselves at risk walking around in 120 degree weather thinking it'll just be like a day at the beach back home.

Yeah this is probably a big part of it. People are very ignorant of just what that kind of heat feels like and what it can do especially if they are coming from places that don't experience anywhere near that. I think especially at that level people can underestimate what even a few extra degrees can do.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Death is pretty evocative but I think the word Valley is too pleasant. By the time you hear Valley you've forgotten the bad part.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism has separated us so far from Mother Nature that we can look at a place called "Death Valley" that regularly reaches temperatures of 120-130 degrees during summer and be like "Yeah sure, it'll be fine."
Yeah something's wrong when we've got to the point that there are some humans out there so oblivious to not only their surroundings but common sense to the point they have lost their innate sense of self-preservation. Yikes!

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Mfs going to death valley less prepared than I am doing a mid afternoon disc golf round in Denver

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah something's wrong when we've got to the point that there are some humans out there so oblivious to not only their surroundings but common sense to the point they have lost their innate sense of self-preservation. Yikes!
It's both a lack of self preservation and just general ignorance of even basic facets of nature.

Saw a woman recently admit that she didn't know that you could just take fruit off a tree and eat it, because her friend angrily confronted her about the fact that she buys lemons despite having a healthy lemon tree in the yard. "I thought you had to do something to them first."

Westerners are just fucking cooked, I swear.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think a Belgian tourist would have brought clogs

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
30 degrees is unpleasant, 40 degrees is serious nope. I'm sure I'd die at 50, let alone 57. What the fuck.