• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
A Maryland man has been sentenced to one year in jail after he hosted two parties against the governor's COVID-19 large gathering orders, prosecutors said.

Following a bench trial, Shawn Marshall Myers, 42, was convicted of two counts of failure to comply with an emergency order, according to a Friday statement from the Charles County State's Attorney's Office.

Officers found about 50 people at Myers' home and they told Myers that his party violated the current rules, prosecutors said.

Myers allegedly argued with the officers, but he "eventually agreed to disband his party," prosecutors said.

Days later, on March 27, officers again responded to Myers' home for another report of a party with more than 50 people.

abcnews.go.com

Man gets 1 year in jail for holding large parties against COVID-19 rules

A Maryland man has been sentenced to one year in jail after he hosted two parties against the governor's COVID-19 orders.

Guaranteed, Era?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
People like that shouldn't live in a community, just go solo in antartica or pacific ocean.

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that instead of jail he should have to work in a hospital.

But then I thought that would probably be a punishment for the patients...

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Add a year for each one of the party-goer has COVID.
Add 10 years each if anyone had died from said party.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Good. I hope he won't be a repeat offender when he comes out in one year.
Judging from the articles I came across when looking for more information on this, I'm pretty sure this guy has a history, so I doubt he'll be better from this point on.
EDIT: One of the articles ended with "Myers is also a registered sex offender", for example.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Canada has ramped up their fines and penalties as well.

I've had enough of this friggin pandemic and there are too many selfish people who don't want to be responsible. It's time that enforcement gets serious. If this pandemic isn't dealt with more seriously, then we're going to have put up with this damn virus for many more years.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a perfect situation for people who didn't attend the parties, but were affected by those that did, to file a class action lawsuit against this CHUD. They probably won't be able to collect anything, but garnish his wages for the rest of his life

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Seen people on social media posting about similar parties in LA. But the location is always kept on the low. Hope they start cracking down on these more. Just really ruining it for everyone else.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a fuck face... Although i don't think jail should be the answer but if are going to give jail time than make it more than a year.. Why not force him to clean hospitals/elder homes/ for 2/3 years.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think when the head of state is basically making it seem like it's alright by holding maskless rallies and endorsing large gatherings in their honor that it makes it a bit more complicated, not that i respect these people or anything

what i'm saying is everyone complicit should pay the price

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
What happened to the fuckwits that went to the parties?

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Seen people on social media posting about similar parties in LA. But the location is always kept on the low. Hope they start cracking down on these more. Just really ruining it for everyone else.
That's where the neighbors come in and snitch. Like they did to that Hollywood party and the recent backyard party a week ago.

Did the guy's utilities get shut off in Maryland? I know in L.A. after a couple of times everything gets shut off

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Need an examples made of to drive people to change their behaviours.

We, as a society, have appealed to people's decency. Now it's time to bring down the hammer for the rest.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Need an examples made of to drive people to change their behaviours.

We, as a society, have appealed to people's decency. Now it's time to bring down the hammer for the rest.
I could not agree more.

I am tired of selfish idiots fucking up all the results that come from the sacrifices of so many!

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe he could have a little something in the clink. Some grape juice, bit of bread, nothing crazy but still a bit of fun with the boys.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So his first party was broken up, so he decided to throw another one? Idiot.

I will say that a year jail seems a bit much...

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Canada has ramped up their fines and penalties as well.

I've had enough of this friggin pandemic and there are too many selfish people who don't want to be responsible. It's time that enforcement gets serious. If this pandemic isn't dealt with more seriously, then we're going to have put up with this damn virus for many more years.

Locally, we had outbreaks from the university I work at due to off-campus students partying.

The city had enough and passed a health order that said college age kids could no longer meet up in any groups until further notice and have now started enforcement of the law.

The students, rather than simply change their behaviors, are now making threats to sue the university for "violations of their 1st, 4th and 14th Amendment rights." (And they're also violating the law by traveling to neighboring counties to party, without masks)

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So his first party was broken up, so he decided to throw another one? Idiot.

I will say that a year jail seems a bit much...

0 shits given. The justice system throws black people in jail for life for shop lifting. One day it will be fixed, but not anytime soon.

I think he got a bad lawyer, because he should be able to say trump said it was ok. And have a solid case.