• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So my wife has been wanting to watch some shows that she missed out on / wasn't sure she liked from when she was younger and we decided to start on Venture Brothers since that's legit one of my favorite shows ever and we are half way done with the series. When we started out she said she remembered hating the show but now she is in love with the thing, so we decided to check out some of the other AS shows she's missed out on and I realized, AS had some good ass shows.

Home Movies, Sealab, ATHF (pre-movie imo), Space Ghost, Harvey Birdman, Metalocalypse, Moral Orel (season 2-3) and they picked up Dark Place. All these shows were really good and it's sad that Metalocalypse will never finish because DoomStar Requiem was legit amazing, but looking at what they have now feels very.....meh? Like I like their live action stuff like Tim and Eric and Eric Andre but their animation (minus the new Venture seasons) just feels very....meh. Would very much like them to get back to their former glory and I don't think it's too impossible but it seems like leadership has burnt some bridges so I am not sure how many creators would return to the network. At the very least it seems like Toonami revival is going good for them.

Anyone else have fond memories of early Adult Swim?

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Moral Orel REALLY take me back. I'm frustrated with Moral Orel only because I can't seem to find it available to watch. I can't remember how many seasons I watched/missed.

Edit: It's on Hulu, tonight is the night.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So glad you brought up Moral Orel. Feels like no one remembers that show anymore and it was a real treasure.
Season 2 and 3 is like receiving a gut punch every episode, also they used the mountain goats, so there is that too lol

Seriously though, the bar episode was fucking hard to watch but probably one of the BEST episodes of TV ever.

Venture Bros, though.
Can't wait for the next season, 7 was insane

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sea Lab and Aqua Teen Hunger Force was the peak of TV.

liked most of there stuff until Super Jail or something like that was on, it was just gross and kinda killed that block of tv for me.

Then they got reruns of Family guy and never played ATHF again....

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the first ever Adult Swim airing after seeing an ad for it in a magazine. It was completely wild that Cartoon Network was showing stuff like Aqua Teen and Cowboy Bebop. IMAGINE SUDDENLY SEEING COWBOY BEBOP AFTER NEVER HEARING ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEFORE.

It's had its ups and downs, but I've always been impressed by the block's ambition.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
There have been hits and misses for me. Some stuff I hate from the commercials and then leave an episode on and then decide to watch. Delocated was something I wound up liking a lot. I might start watching that Joe Pera thing as well. I can't even think of that much that Adult Swim has in original programming right now. Oh, Mike Tyson Mysteries is something I really like as well so I'll count that.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
Binge watched Venture Bros recently, first couple seasons are 'meh' but after that it got good. I think season one is just so ingrained in me since I grew up watching it and Adult Swim would play it over and over.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I saw the first ever Adult Swim airing after seeing an ad for it in a magazine. It was completely wild that Cartoon Network was showing stuff like Aqua Teen and Cowboy Bebop. IMAGINE SUDDENLY SEEING COWBOY BEBOP AFTER NEVER HEARING ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEFORE.

It's had its ups and downs, but I've always been impressed by the block's ambition.

I remember the very first ads and bumpers for Adult Swim.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Moral Orel takes me back, describing it as a 'gut punch' is pretty accurate. I don't know if I have the will to rewatch that one

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Binge watched Venture Bros recently, first couple seasons are 'meh' but after that it got good. I think season one is just so ingrained in me since I grew up watching it and Adult Swim would play it over and over.
Season 1 and 2 are pretty okay, 3 and above are where shit really gets going, 4 more-so because that's when all the plot threads start really building

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Did Space Ghost are new seasons on Adult Swim proper? Or was it just one off specials. I know the prime of that show predates Adult Swim by quite a bit.

Oct 26, 2017
Moral Orel is their magnum opus in my opinion. I still need to watch beyond seaso n 2 of Venture Bros but I'm not sure it'll hit the highs Moral Orel managed too.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love [AS]. Its had its ups and downs but they always manage to get something good every couple of years. The early stuff has some absolute bangers but even today, with Rick & Morty (fanbase can suck but show is still good) and Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell, they still can produce hits.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Moral Orel is their magnum opus in my opinion. I still need to watch beyond seaso n 2 of Venture Bros but I'm not sure it'll hit the highs Moral Orel managed too.
Oh man if you haven't watched past S2 of Venture, do that right now! 3 and 4 are where things start on that. It never gets as depressing as Moral Orel but it's probably their best show and one of the better story based adult animation shows ever.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to think that Adult Swim is nearly 20 years old at this point. Even now their flagship shows feel very fresh and of-the-era, and not like something that's been around since before the Iraq War.

I remember looking forward to AS back when it was only on Sunday nights......capturing shows to my computer, editing out the commercials and burning DVDs of them for myself.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone in here is sleeping on Joe Pera Talks With You, but its legit one of my favorite shows in forever.

The worst part is its nearly impossible to explain or describe, and so for the longest time I would just roll my eyes when I'd see an ad for it. But I sat down and forced myself to watch an episode and now I'm in love.

Check out episode 3 of the first season (Joe goes for a fall drive?) to get an idea of what its vibe is. Its reaaaally special.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
It's kind of wild that Rick and Morty doesn't feel like an Adult Swim show because it's a cultural touchstone at this point.

Anyway, there's definitely a point in history where [AS] was must watch TV every day of the week.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It's weird to think that Adult Swim is nearly 20 years old at this point. Even now their flagship shows feel very fresh and of-the-era, and not like something that's been around since before the Iraq War.

I remember looking forward to AS back when it was only on Sunday nights......capturing shows to my computer, editing out the commercials and burning DVDs of them for myself.
Yes, exactly. Adult Swim was producing stuff 20 years ago that could be on Tik Tok.

There are some episodes of Aqua Teen and SpaceLab that were the funniest things on TV at the time. Venture Brothers was a revelation in serial storytelling. Too Many Cooks is arguably the single greatest TV moment of the decade. I still have my Tom Goes to the Mayor DVDs. I don't even have a Blu Ray player hooked up anymore, but I can't bear to part with the set. Can't say enough good stuff about Adult Swim. Truly, truly, a fantastic TV station.

Pour one out for Korgoth.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, exactly. Adult Swim was producing stuff 20 years ago that could be on Tik Tok.

There are some episodes of Aqua Teen and SpaceLab that were the funniest things on TV at the time. Venture Brothers was a revelation in serial storytelling. Too Many Cooks is arguably the single greatest TV moment of the decade. I still have my Tom Goes to the Mayor DVDs. I don't even have a Blu Ray player hooked up anymore, but I can't bear to part with the set. Can't say enough good stuff about Adult Swim. Truly, truly, a fantastic TV station.

Pour one out for Korgoth.

We got Primal years down the road at least

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
We still go back to some of the older shows in my house. Though, honestly Adult swim is still killing it, especially with the live action.

Eric Andre Show
Dream Corp Llc
Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell
Joe Pera
Black Jesus
Anything with Alan Resnick
Primal
Rick and Morty

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
discovering adult swim when i was like 10 or whatever and up way passed my bedtime was life changing

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
We still go back to some of the older shows in my house. Though, honestly Adult swim is still killing it, especially with the live action.

Eric Andre Show
Dream Corp Llc
Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell
Joe Pera
Black Jesus
Anything with Alan Resnick
Primal
Rick and Morty

A damn shame everyone is forgetting Squidbillies

Its still on the air!

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Check out episode 3 of the first season (Joe goes for a fall drive?) to get an idea of what its vibe is. Its reaaaally special.

this was the first episode i watched. my mom sat me down when i visted her one weekend and told me i had to see it. it was special. i cried a little bit, tbh.

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
As for the Space Ghost question by ShaggsMagoo earlier, the new episodes were on GameTap originally and while I dont remember them getting a television broadcast i can't say for sure they didn't. There have been some weird airings on April fools and I don't remember which episodes they were that aired, let alone what's been available through the streaming services they've provided over time.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I've heard some recent discussion that Adult Swim, so far, has been the most significant cultural television event this century so far. And it's hard to argue against that. Sure there's been prestige television, but The Wire, Oz, and Sopranos all kicked off in the 90s.

It was inevitable that 90's nostalgia would arrive but Tim and Eric taught advertisers how to utilize it. Between DVD sales and reruns, Adult Swim helped revive Futurama and Family Guy. And while the voices given platforms on Adult Swim have been a bit...homogenized...creators like Aaron McGruder , Eric Andre, Brad Neely, and Brandon Small were given a platform no major network would take a chance on. Well okay, Small was on UPN but whatever.

But those are success stories. The reason why Adult Swim works is because they take so many weird risk. Heck, look at Joe Pera's genuinely heartwarming, nearly therapeutic show. They're still going in directions no one could predict. And it's thanks to low budgets and...erm...a lack of worker's rights. But hey, it's a start!

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, animation projects from Adult Swim as of late have sadly not been that noticeable unless you count Rick and Morty.

Definitely you should check out Ballmastrz 9009 and The Shivering Truth. The former is from the creator of Superjail and the latter is from PFFR. Those are the only two I can think of that harken back to old school Adult Swim.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
the Adult Swim podcast feed has a lot of great interviews with people from 'the old days'

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
tumblr_n7sntiTit51qz59n2o1_1280.jpg

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Probabaly haven't watched Adult Swim in 8 years now, but late high school and college when it was first starting up I watched every night, usually with friends and roommates.

Sealab, Harvey Birdman, ATHF, Space Ghost were all some of my favorites. Cowboy Bebop was the first anime I had ever seen besides stuff like Dragon Ball/Gundam/Pokémon and was mind blowing.

My WoW ranger from the day WoW launched was named MC Peepants. Eventually it was changed because someone reported it as inappropriate.