DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
At what point does the fire get hot enough for the GOP to realize they are backing a traitor?

Surely they must have some sort of self-preservation instinct.

Self-preservation is protecting trump.

The Republican party is effectively trump's cult now. The base follows their cult leader, and none of the GOP's elected officials will go against the cult leader.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
For all the terrible and hateful shit trump has done, I can't believe trying to dig up dirt on a political opponent is the thing that might finally take him down. Oh well. Whatever it takes.
he got waaaay to used to getting away with shit that he stopped caring about getting caught

that is, until he got caught and finally held to account

now his head is spinning, trying anything to distract or deflect

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Given all he's gotten away with, it must chap his ass that a phone call is causing him this much grief.

Yeah. And he would have gotten away with it if weren't for that meddling whistleblower, too!

he got waaaay to used to getting away with shit that he stopped caring about getting caught

that is, until he got caught and finally held to account

now his head is spinning, trying anything to distract or deflect

Yeah he's so used to everything blowing over, he became too bold and complacent.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
B2HwPJg.png
This is so fucking perfect

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know guys, he looked pretty fucking beaten during that dumb press conference. He is shitting himself for the first time, and it's glorious. I think it will actually happen and he realises that so well.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ok..... ok...... I've been ignoring this development all week because I don't want to get my hopes up. But seriously is this piece of work president FINALLY going to get kicked out!?!?!? Please be true.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know Nixon thought he was safe until the will of the people became so overwhelming that his party turned on him. He only resigned because he knew it would make it all go away. With these GOP House members saying they'd back Impeachment, perhaps it's only a matter of time until the Senate loses it's will to fight for such an obvious criminal.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Ok..... ok...... I've been ignoring this development all week because I don't want to get my hopes up. But seriously is this piece of work president FINALLY going to get kicked out!?!?!? Please be true.
No. But Republicans in the Senate will likely have to go on record defending him. With all that's coming out? That won't be a good look next year.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that too, but for the proceeding of the impeachment

This is a constitutional no mans land because this is the closest this country has gotten to removal. Nixon resigned before the vote, and the procedure is very "this than that," on paper, so a set timeline isn't expected. It's basically a question of when votes are held, and that's at the discretion of whichever party wields power in either chamber, so it's possible that McConnell could just stall like he did during the Scalia opening on the supreme court, but sweet Jesus, would that be some bad looking politics going into a general election.

It's basically a game of chicken in view of the whole electorate since Trump is involved. Given that he's a textbook narcissist, he will likely take this all farther than the stunning embarrassment of a response so far, that's why you're seeing all the speed running Nixon memes. To take that analogy to its logical conclusion, Trump's ego is pushing him to be the GOAT Modern American Disgrace. Like way, waaaaay beyond Billy Mitchell, man.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No. But Republicans in the Senate will likely have to go on record defending him. With all that's coming out? That won't be a good look next year.
Hey if this just leads to the guarantee that he won't be re-elected and the majority shifts I'll take it. I'm just so tired of them getting away with everything unchecked.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
It's basically a game of chicken in view of the whole electorate since Trump is involved. Given that he's a textbook narcissist, he will likely take this all farther than the stunning embarrassment of a response so far, that's why you're seeing all the speed running Nixon memes. To take that analogy to its logical conclusion, Trump's ego is pushing him to be the GOAT Modern American Disgrace. Like way, waaaaay beyond Billy Mitchell, man.
Trump will absolutely try and drag this out for as long as he can.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There needs to be some charismatic Republican emerge that the GOP can unite behind as a credible alternative to Trump. (Maybe not a facist this time.)

I know it's "Trump's party" and he has that bedrock 35% approval, but that's almost certainly just right wing tribalism. Bush was the same way until he was toxic and wasn't.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, and we're not just talking a blowjob here or even Nixon level crimes. We're talking national security, extortion of entire countries, probably selling out spies to a foreign enemy, and in general just being a piece of shit traitor - literal traitor not the namecalling traitor.

If I'm the Dems I don't narrow my focus, I broaden it and establish a pattern going back to before he was president. Eat up the airwaves and keep the media focused. And of course it will all be done as a public trial in the house with daily hearings, witnesses, and documents.

I pressure the courts to speedrun a lot of things, and keep demanding grand jury material and counter-intelligence. And then I come back in 8 months with 3 dozen+ impeachment articles (probably more). And I make the GOP in both the House and Senate vote on every single one.

People here skip from the inquiry to the vote like nothing happens in-between or that it isn't important, but it's probably the most important thing in the process as it influences everything afterwards (votes in both chambers).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
If something big that can be proven comes up in the investigations a lot of the GOP will consider their options as far as voting for removal goes. This has the potential to absolutely make Trump political poison that a lot of Rs in the Senate will not want to touch with a 10 ft pole.

In other words Nixon speed run/stupid Watergate were good jokes that actually may prove very accurate.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
honestly, then just stay out of the thread

im getting sick of people just popping in to say LOL NOTHINGS HAPPENING LOL in these threads
I'm just as sick of the bullshit optimists telling me something will happen. The fact that any of you still have faith in your system of government and the rule of law after what's been going on the last few years, is absolutely hilarious to me.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
In the past few months I was genuinely convinced this wouldn't happen, so I'm definitely surprised.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
If something big that can be proven comes up in the investigations a lot of the GOP will consider their options as far as voting for removal goes. This has the potential to absolutely make Trump political poison that a lot of Rs in the Senate will not want to touch with a 10 ft pole.

In other words Nixon speed run/stupid Watergate were good jokes that actually may prove very accurate.
Republican Senators will act in the benefit of their constituency, who have shown time and time again that they don't care what Trump is guilty of and will still give Trump over 90% of their approval even after the full details of the whistleblower complaint come to light.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm just as sick of the bullshit optimists telling me something will happen. The fact that any of you still have faith in your system of government and the rule of law after what's been going on the last few years, is absolutely hilarious to me.

How high was the horse you rode in on to make this post?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I was replying to a post where somebody was literally asking somebody to leave the thread because they didn't like their lack of optimism.
If all someone has to contribute to these threads is "nothing's gonna happen" then piss off is what i will always say to them

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Don't you need a 66% majority in the senate for impeachment?
If the house impeached him, I know it's a long shot, but I have a feeling he may end up getting impeached in the senate as well. I think at this point they are sick and tired of his bullshit and want to move on from Trump.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Republican Senators will act in the benefit of their constituency, who have shown time and time again that they don't care what Trump is guilty of and will still give Trump over 90% of their approval even after the full details of the whistleblower complaint come to light.
That's true until something damning with real proof comes out in the investigations like I said in my post. My hope is that something "Watergate tapes"-ee comes out during these investigations and they literally have no choice but to cut Trump.

Either way this whole thing is only going to hurt Trump, anything that comes out between now and the election is fuel against him whether it even gets to the Senate voting to remove or not.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again he probably will be impeached (by a majority vote of the House), but he probably will not be removed from office (where it would take 2/3 of the Senate to convict him).

The best bet for anything to happen in the Senate is to have a damn good case against him, and hope that he loses so much support in the public eye that 20+ Republican Senators would somehow decide it's in their best interests/the interest of the country to convict him. How the hell that's even possible I don't know, but it's the only chance of actually having him removed.

Regardless, at least we are doing what we can to uphold the laws of the country.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
That's true until something damning with real proof comes out in the investigations like I said in my post. My hope is that something "Watergate tapes"-ee comes out during these investigations and they literally have no choice but to cut Trump.

Either way this whole thing is only going to hurt Trump, anything that comes out between now and the election is fuel against him whether it even gets to the Senate voting to remove or not.

Unfortunately I think Trump is too much of a cult of personality for that to even significantly damage his support. I think his floor is 30%, and those 30% are ride or die, and will tear down the GOP to irrelevancy for a loooong time if the mainstream Republicans turn on Trump.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately I think Trump is too much of a cult of personality for that to even significantly damage his support. I think his floor is 30%, and those 30% are ride or die, and will tear down the GOP to irrelevancy for a loooong time if the mainstream Republicans turn on Trump.
I agree I'm just saying here's hoping something irrefutable comes out that just can't be ignored. Something that sways the moderates.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
Am I reading this lazy meme right?

The evidence to impeach Trump is going to destroy both the dems and nancy pelosi..?

The intent is that the Dems are happily carrying Pelosi to the evidence of impeachable offenses, which Pelosi is foolishly afraid of and trying to run away from despite it being inanimate and therefore incapable of doing harm.

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Again he probably will be impeached (by a majority vote of the House), but he probably will not be removed from office (where it would take 2/3 of the Senate to convict him).

The best bet for anything to happen in the Senate is to have a damn good case against him, and hope that he loses so much support in the public eye that 20+ Republican Senators would somehow decide it's in their best interests/the interest of the country to convict him. How the hell that's even possible I don't know, but it's the only chance of actually having him removed.

Regardless, at least we are doing what we can to uphold the laws of the country.
And maximize chances for 2020. Rallying the dem base can work as the mid terms showed us. We can beat him organically and this will bring independents on board too. It's an all around good move even if it never gets to the senate. Fucker will be on the ticket as an impeached president