JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
that's....not good for atlus's outlook. in japan i'm sure they won't give a shit, but seriously, think about the west too
That's a toxic and incorrect viewpoint. See the bolded:
Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
From what I understand, there's just a Rin ending where Erica ends up working as a wrestler (still as a woman). That's it.

No idea if it's even depicted or just mentioned.

ah less worst

If Rin was the wrestler than it would have been BAAAD because I was thinking they cut that sentence because THERE IS NOW a famous trans woman in japanese wrestling.

I sort of saw this as a retraction to the whole "a trap for man" thing the original game did. If we assume they ended up in a relationship in that timeline, then Toby wouldn't have been "tricked", because that wouldn't even be a possibility with them already knowing each other.

I could just be in denial, however.

Let me get this straight .... your best case scenario implies trans woman trick heterosexual man like traps tricks bears ?

Jan 11, 2018
I mean, i wont disregard it because fujoshis are still a constant ever present community being catered to

I get what you're saying, but I think you can play Persona 2 and appreciate the gay romance option in it, as it's not disrespectful to the gay community, despite the intentions behind it. This is very rarely the case with other content catering to the fujoshi crowd, where male homosexuality is fetishised in a very dehumanising way and more often than not include elements of rape.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't, and I will, thanks. But the fact that they did what they did in that ending, combined with the joke being removed, is already a sign that they listened to that specific complaint, at least. They could just not include that in the ending, after all. Or if they thought the joke was harmless, they could just keep it anyway and it would just be "funny" again how Erica proved him wrong. Actually, it would be kind of cool if she did prove him wrong, now that I think about it.
Yeah, although the cynic in me thinks the reason the dig was removed had nothing to do with the creators realizing how shitty it was since they still dead name her twice in the credits.

This makes me worried about how homophobic SMTV might get.
I'd be surprised if it was based on my (admittedly limited) experience with the mainline SMT series.

Jan 11, 2018
Damn. They missed an opportunity to have a float for Fang and Vanille.

Regardless, that's super awesome to see, especially with the comments from Yoshida in that article. It makes me happy.

Yeah. But I think the lack of an official denial of their relationship says something, even if it's regrettable they're not flat out confirming it. Although I feel like they're not exactly beating around the bush when they confirm that these two ladies sleep in the same bed, despite there being other options, in one of the novels. While Hideo Baba confirmed Sorey and Mikleo to be a canon couple, Bandai Namco totally walked that back after he left and they've now been downgraded to being just "best friends".

This makes me worried about how homophobic SMTV might get.

I don't think you have to worry about that. Granted, I'm not too familiar with SMTIV, but generally speaking romance has never been a big topic in the main series.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.

I asked earlier in the thread, but in case you missed it, would you mind sharing any links to those Japanese LGBTQ communities discussing the game? I'm really interested in reading up on it. I Googled a bit and all I could find was a couple of blogs posting translations of western reactions to the game.

A gay man would describe himself as "天使みたいな子 "?

I mean, I certainly can't speak for everyone, but it's very unlikely that such language would be used to describe anything but a girl.

Oct 25, 2017
Let me get this straight .... your best case scenario implies trans woman trick heterosexual man like traps tricks bears ?

Nononono, the opposite, I'm saying that this was a common (and justified) criticism of the original, how they were playing for laughs the fact that Toby lost his virginity to Erica, and he says he wants his V-card back. In this timeline, if we assume they still got together in the future, there isn't even the possibility for that to still be true, since Toby knows Erica even before the transition and her coming out as a woman, which wasn't the case in the original game (and original timeline in Full Body as well, I suppose).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I find Atlus' treatment of gay people in the Persona games much more offensive.

They are treated as a joke. Or 'don't touch them you'll catch the gaaaaaay!'.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this shuts down the "but actually!!!" posts

Assuming Erica had been handled in a respectful and elegant way in the game that actually resonated with people (and especially trans people), I'm guessing these credits would still be a big issue, but what would be the appropriate way to credit the voice actor that played the character in scenes both before she transitioned and after?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What the fuck, why they keep adding gay/trans people to their games only to bash them?

Fuck you Atlus.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Erica had been handled in a respectful and elegant way in the game that actually resonated with people (and especially trans people), I'm guessing these credits would still be a big issue, but what would be the appropriate way to credit the voice actor that played the character in scenes both before she transitioned and after?
Just as Erica. Also actually have her listed as Erica and not EricA.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I get what you're saying, but I think you can play Persona 2 and appreciate the gay romance option in it, as it's not disrespectful to the gay community, despite the intentions behind it. This is very rarely the case with other content catering to the fujoshi crowd, where male homosexuality is fetishised in a very dehumanising way and more often than not include elements of rape.

I don't know why people keep doing this.

Romance is by and large a non entity in Persona 2(both halves)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Erica Anderson.

No "EricA", no deadname. That's it. She's the same character, with the same name.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, although the cynic in me thinks the reason the dig was removed had nothing to do with the creators realizing how shitty it was since they still dead name her twice in the credits.
Absolutely, the deadnaming is still a huge issue, but if they were at least trying, then it's an issue that can perhaps be fixed in the future with enough feedback. The original take of "Catherine went back in time to make everyone happy, which means Erica is now a man" is just some next level vile bullshit, there's no amount of criticism that can fix that, it's just hateful.

Erica Anderson.

No "EricA", no deadname. That's it. She's the same character, with the same name.
Yeah, the intention with EricA (Eric Anderson) is pretty clear.

I wonder if they thought it was better switching the order, but it really doesn't make a difference. That's something that should be easy to fix in the localized version, at least.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Erica Anderson.

Got it. I didn't realize deadnaming would also apply to a story that depicts a character both before and after their transition. So should the person's post-transition name also be retroactively applied when discussing the character in scenes when she still identified as Eric and was shown to be a man?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got it. I didn't realize deadnaming would also apply to a story that depicts a character both before and after their transition. So should the person's post-transition name also be retroactively applied when discussing the character in scenes when she still identified as Eric and was shown to be a man?
Yes. Same goes for when you discuss a trans person in real life.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the intention with EricA (Eric Anderson) is pretty clear.

I wonder if they thought it was better switching the order, but it really doesn't make a difference. That's something that should be easy to fix in the localized version, at least.

That was certainly the impression I got as someone who is still learning on this stuff, with the name in parantheses being the "non-real" name.

Oct 25, 2017
I think so, yeah. It's one thing when characters in context refer to her by her old name, because at the time she was known by that name, but the credits should just call her Erica.

EDIT: To try to give a reason to that, the thing is, Erica is who she really is, not who she became, or who she chose to be. Transgender people figure out that they're trans, and then they come out as trans, they don't flip a switch and "become a woman", so even at the time she went by as Eric, she was still the same person.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Yes, both to games to real people and wikipedia pages
Erica was always a woman and was always erica.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Even the best possible reading of this new content seems to still produce a feeling of uncertainty, annoyance or discomfort among trans people. That much is clear after going through the thread.

I do not know if the localization could help, at least to an extent, but it's a pity that ATLUS in Japan did not take into full consideration the criticism the original game had received for its portrayal of precisely this subject matter.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Hashino's been doing this shit for years now. People should have realised how problematic he was with how Kanji and Naoto were handled in P4.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
Erika implies that she's an "angel-like young woman", which likely means she's still planning to transition in this alternate world, or at the very least that she doesn't really see herself as a man.

Tobi: うらやましいっス。あんな天使みたいな子、他にもどこかいないっスかね。
Erika: 案外、近くにいるかもよ。

Tobi: I'm jealous! Where are the other angelic girls like that [referring to Catherine]?
Erika: Surprisingly, they might be close.

She says this as she puts her arm around Tobi, giving the impression that she's talking about herself.

Then it's not quite as bad as it seemed, thankfully. But pretty awkward execution

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Erica was always a woman

It's easy to understand this, but definitely going to take some time to wrap my head around this:

and was always erica.

I think so, yeah. It's one thing when characters in context refer to her by her old name, because at the time she was known by that name, but the credits should just call her Erica.

EDIT: To try to give a reason to that, the thing is, Erica is who she really is, not who she became, or who she chose to be. Transgender people figure out that they're trans, and then they come out as trans, they don't flip a switch and "become a woman", so even at the time she went by as Eric, she was still the same person.

Thanks for the explanation in the edit. That makes sense, but I guess I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the name isn't something she chose. It's obvious that her gender is not.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically you want to always refer to trans individuals by the name they identify as. Their old name is totally irrelevant.

No, not at all. In real life, yes of course a person's old name is irrelevant, but I'm talking about crediting a voice actor that plays a character that holds separate names at different parts of the story.

In practice, a person's name retroactively changes things. Someone who changes their name, their accomplishments aren't credited to their original name in general, 'least not in my experiences.

In a Wikipedia article, for example, you often see that person's "original name" or "name of birth" posted in the initial paragraph. That's basically why I was trying to figure out the proper etiquette.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
And as such the pairings are, within the context of the game, not offensive. That was my point.

Yeah, but recommending p2 for its gay romance is taking its context and flipping it to give the wrong juxtaposition. Cause despite there being several lgbtq characters in Persona 2 duology the romantic inclinations of all but one of them are more background than narrative aspects.

We know Jun is gay, we know Tatsuya is bisexual, we know anna is gay. But those aspects don't play into the narrative except Anna's

Oct 25, 2017
How many outfits does Toby have in Catherine? I honestly cannot recall him being dressed in anything other than a mechanic.
That's not a particularly good point, imo, because Erica did get a redesign just for that scene. if they were just staying consistent, or cutting corners, it would be easier to just have her transitioned during the ending. They went out of their way to redesign Erica for that scene. The only way to explain this without something questionable happening (though not as vile as it initially appeared) is that it's just a plot hole. Plain and simple.

Or maybe it isn't, do we know for sure the line about him starting recently on that job is still in Full Body?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people bending over backwards to try and give the scene a more charitable impression when all you have to do is look at Atlus past games to understand their intent.

There's a pattern here. At best they treat LGBT+ people as a joke, a punchline. At worst we're considered degenerate, the scum of the earth.

Stop making excuses and face reality.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
No, not at all. In real life, yes of course a person's old name is irrelevant, but I'm talking about crediting a voice actor that plays a character that holds separate names at different parts of the story.
It's the same character, it doesn't make a difference. The old name is still irrelevant.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah wow, seriously fuck Atlus. How do they keep getting away with this bullshit gender essentialism?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. So they kept it. Welp.

There's going to need to be an official statement from some Atlus department, whether Japan or USA, sooner than later. It's getting to the point where they won't be able to simply ignore it.

Understandably, people point to Hashino a lot for this, but he wasn't the director for Catherine: Full Body. There are other scenario writers / planners for these games. There are other people who are complicit with the ideas, or are even responsible for them in the first place.

Hashino likes themes of togetherness and acceptance, but elements of games he's involved with go directly against that. I would love for him to finally acknowledge that in an interview.

An earlier comment said that there is negative feedback for this stuff in Japan, but I have to wonder just how loud/active it is. Atlus clearly focuses solely on Japan when it comes to the content of their games, so I feel like it'd take a real push from there.
It depends how much attention this gets, if it's like the G&W thing then yeah they will do something, but if it's like the Fighter Spirit battles it'll just be ignored and forgotten.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, but recommending p2 for its gay romance is taking its context and flipping it to give the wrong juxtaposition. Cause despite there being several lgbtq characters in Persona 2 duology the romantic inclinations of all but one of them are more background than narrative aspects.

We know Jun is gay, we know Tatsuya is bisexual, we know anna is gay. But those aspects don't play into the nattative except Anna's

Yeah, but I didn't do that. I was merely commenting on that it didn't handle LGBT characters as poorly as Hashino's games do. And sadly, even what little is there in P2 is still better than what most other JRPG's have to offer in this regard.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explanation in the edit. That makes sense, but I guess I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the name isn't something she chose. It's obvious that her gender is not.

The name is, but that's exactly why it should be used. If her parents knew she was a woman, they wouldn't call her Eric, is basically the point. That name is "a mistake", and evokes a whole life of struggling with gender identity.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Even the best possible reading of this new content seems to still produce a feeling of uncertainty, annoyance or discomfort among trans people. That much is clear after going through the thread.

I do not know if the localization could help, at least to an extent, but it's a pity that ATLUS in Japan did not take into full consideration the criticism the original game had received for its portrayal of precisely this subject matter.

This to me feels almost as though Hashino heard the criticism and lashed out. I would hope that they do something literally anything for the localization to make this right because as a polyam person, this game was extremely instrumental in helping me discover my identity and in some ways validating that, so I would like to enjoy the re-release. For now, I don't think I can and that sucks.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think people would be confused if they only wrote the actual name.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I've been feeling very conflicted towards Atlus for a while now.
P5 got me so angry in spots. This new development is very disappointing.
And it doesn't even make me want to boycott their games. It just makes me feel apathetic. They could announce Persona 6 tomorrow and I don't think I'd be the least bit excited.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Why are people bending over backwards to try and give the scene a more charitable impression when all you have to do is look at Atlus past games to understand their intent.

There's a pattern here. At best they treat LGBT+ people as a joke, a punchline. At worst we're considered degenerate, the scum of the earth.

Stop making excuses and face reality.

Well I think it depends on the situation. Kanji and Naoto could be charitably read as grappling with Masculinity/Feminimity in a nuanced way, though obviously thats not the only read. Here though... it's pretty fucking undefendable.