• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
As a big Atlus fan this is so very disappointing. They could've handled it very well and mature in this version of the game, but instead they chose the route they seemingly always choose when it comes to gender and sexuality: the easy one.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is the first time i've actively been repelled from buying a game on the basis of these kinds of social issues, but this pattern is getting too shitty to ignore. Not giving Atlus my money for this product...i thought that the Persona 5 and Persona 4 gay scenes were poorly handled, but i wanted to say it was just due to ignorance of how LGBT people might feel because of how repressed minority groups are in the eyes of the right wing portion of Japan. Now i feel like the mindset of whoever is writing these scripts actually has something in their mind they want to say about this.

The term "policore" has already invaded the right wing of Japan's vocabulary, i absolutely think its intentional.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Atlas USA having no say in this doesn't mean that everyone working at Atlus USA aren't still super complicit in normalizing transphobia and hatred. Their job is literally to adapt a hateful work into English and market it the US. Anyone working there should absolutely be ashamed of themselves.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
oy vey.

as a trans person this just comes off as cis developers being clueless. "wouldn't your life be so much easier if you hadn't transitioned?"

no. the fact is that many trans people's lives may not even continue if they didn't transition. the rate of suicide for people of trans experience is astronomical, especially if they remain in the closet.

Can the writers at Atlus grow the fuck up already? Persona 5 was generally okay in regards to this stuff (though definitely not perfect) but this sounds awful. Kanji should have been handled so much better in Persona 4 as well. I was so worried about Sylvando in Dragon Quest XI but the way he was handled puts Atlus to shame. They need to take some lessons from Square.

what are you talking about? persona 5 was TERRIBLE with queer issues. sure, there was one minor drag queen character who is never made fun of, but the running "joke" of the gay dudes trying to harrass/assault your teen boy party members is like the worst of the worst gay stereotypes.

and trans issues have been handled horribly in the past too. the entire goal of naoto's dungeon in p4 is to prevent naoto from having a gender reassignment surgery (granted it's taking place in a demonic tv world, but the implication is still that GRS is a bad thing). then after the dungeon naoto decides she doesn't identify as a boy after all and atlus includes her in all kind of gross fanservice stuff for straight guys.

kanji's sexuality is glossed over and whitewashed as well after his dungeon.

atlus has never been a friend of the queer community.

Last edited:

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To clarify, how's that dialogue between Erica and Toby even intended to be a """joke""" or a """punchline"""? I can't wrap my head around it. Is it just "Erica didn't transition in this timeline so she's a guy now so it's ironic and funny that she implies she's a girl who's interested in Toby har har har"? If anything in a vacuum it seems like it's just reaffirming/implying Erica identifies as a woman to me (which certainly doesn't excuse anything about why she's shown without transition in the first place, but was perhaps a very, very, very bad attempt at conveying Erica still loves Toby in this timeline, as a woman).

Toby says "I'm so Jealous! I wonder if there are any other angels like her left [for me]!"
Erica responds "There might be one closer than you think!" as she puts her arm around Toby.

I mean... this is not a tough nut to crack, no offense. Erica did not transition in this timeline. There is no vague implication that she ever will outside of this dialogue, and even then the only possible inference is that Toby used a feminine pronoun and Erica affirmed it. It's just camp. That's the bit. She still likes him, but instead of being a woman she's now an effeminate gay man. The circumstances are "worse" for Toby now, who importantly was already the butt of a joke for being involved with a trans woman in the first place. It's just a rehash of the earlier joke. He's gay or something. Rimshot.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
GTFO with this shit Atlus.

Also, I never knew Erica was trans. Didn't pick up on that and never got that ending, but always found her to be a cool character. So learning all this is dissappointing.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I see Atlus Japan has not learn anything after all these years .
Only way they going learn is if people stop spending money on there games.
Now Atlus USA has to deal with this fallout .

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
GTFO with this shit Atlus.

Also, I never knew Erica was trans. Didn't pick up on that and never got that ending, but always found her to be a cool character. So learning all this is dissappointing.

I disagreed with a lot of the interpretations of Ericas handling in OG Catherine. But the easiest thing to fix, the credits, was the biggest offense and I can't believe they didn't change that.

Jul 24, 2018
Man, it's my favorite game. And I wanted this to get better because I want everyone to be able to enjoy it, and it seems like in some ways it got worse. I'm going to try to be optimistic that the more optimistic readings have merit, and really I've read enough spoilers already, but come on Japan.

Edit : I mean seriously the credits shit again? That's so easy to do right.
Same. I've loved Catherine and Persona for how unique they were, and surprisingly deep Persona can be, so it feels so wrong that they still conform to tired old anime stereotypes.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its so sad and ironic that Atlus is so backwards on this, given that the themes of so many of their games are about social non-conformity and subculture. Or maybe I'm missing a deeper reading of their games as more reactionary on the whole.
Yes but for all of that. Their games always end up reinforcing that conformity.
Atlas USA having no say in this doesn't mean that everyone working at Atlus USA aren't still super complicit in normalizing transphobia and hatred. Their job is literally to adapt a hateful work into English and market it the US. Anyone working there should absolutely be ashamed of themselves.
Atlus US have no say in the matter. AJP a very controlling and dictate how the games is translated and how they're acted.
oy vey.

as a trans person this just comes off as cis developers being clueless. "wouldn't your life be so much easier if you hadn't transitioned?"

no. the fact is that many trans people's lives may not even continue if they didn't transition. the rate of suicide for people of trans experience is astronomical, especially if they remain in the closet.
That very much comes from Wa philosophy. Which is personified with the saying. The nail that sticks up, gets hammered down.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
Persona 5 having yet again the same homophobics jokes was already enough to make me lose hope with Studio Zero, but that's a whole new level here. How could they treat Erica in a shittier way than before ? It's impressive.

M-M

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not going to say I expected it to get worse in this way, but I was really not hopeful for Atlus' handling of this topic after I saw the early trailers for this game. After playing P2IS and realizing that it handled gay content with more sensitivity and respect than any of the games that followed, I kind of started to suspect that the current lead writers just weren't that interested in the perspectives of LGBT+ people. It's a shame, cause I did like the first Catherine and P5, so I wanted to believe that the ignorance was innocent rather than willful, but nope!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm not going to defend it, but I would consider that maybe Japan is generally behind the curve as a culture when it comes to progressivism and that, consider how back in 2011 BioWare, a now extremely trans-inclusive developer introduced trans characters as a comedy gag, and that was not some corporate mandate, it was the same writers as those who wrote the more trans-inclusive games.

Things can change and hopefully some staff can inform Hashimoto of just how controversial this is in the west as well as why, because when I see this I doubt it's targeted at anyone as a reprimand, I just think there's wrongful assumptions and cultural bias at display but I don't know japanese culture enough to truly know.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so

616a6f3d0b24a8f9a16b95d460db8313.png

The female VA is voicing both Erica and Eric ? Eric doesn't show up anywhere else.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Granted I haven't played Catherine since its original EU release but if I recall Catherine (the character) did not seem like the kind of person who wanted others to be happy, only to further her selfish goals. Her going back in time to make everyone's lives better seems so out of character for her. Translations being what they are they could easily lose certain nuances. I could very much see an ending where Catherine claims to be going back to improve everyone's lives but in actuality makes it worse, hence Erica not transitioning.

Or I could be wrong and this is another example of Japanese lack of understanding of the LGBT community.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea this is pretty bad, being this tone deaf in this day and age is pathetic.
I really can't see this as tone deaf anymore. This isn't some new IP from a tiny studio, this is a remake of a game that had many years of discussion around its trans representation, and the producer explicitly stating that they wanted to acomodate how values in society changed since the first release. Then they do this.

Even Rin's route sounds shady. People have been saying it's actually handled well for what it is, but I can't help but wonder if that's just their answer to people's issues with Erica. "Well, if you want to fuck a feminine guy so much, here's another one for you."

And that's just a few years after Persona 5 got criticized for its portrayal of gay men. They're not just some clueless japanese old men, they know what they're doing. It really just comes down to a difference in values. It's not that they're not aware, or even that they don't care, they just actively dislike LGBT people.

I can't see any other answer, but I do really hope I'm wrong. Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and Catherine is a gem as well. And as much as I dislike Persona 5, I have to admit the portrayal of gay men didn't really impact my enjoyment that much, but this is just going too far, even for someone who usually doesn't skip games based on these things.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This goes far beyond tone deaf. To just being wilfully ignorant.
I really can't see this as tone deaf anymore. This isn't some new IP from a tiny studio, this is a remake of a game that had many years of discussion around its trans representation, and the producer explicitly stating that they wanted to acomodate how values in society changed since the first release. Then they do this.

Even Rin's route sounds shady. People have been saying it's actually handled well for what it is, but I can't help but wonder if that's just their answer to people's issues with Erica. "Well, if you want to fuck a feminine guy so much, here's another one for you."

And that's just a few years after Persona 5 got criticized for its portrayal of gay men. They're not just some clueless japanese old men, they know what they're doing. It really just comes down to a difference in values. It's not that they're not aware, or even that they don't care, they just actively dislike LGBT people.

I can't see any other answer, but I do really hope I'm wrong. Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and Catherine is a gem as well. And as much as I dislike Persona 5, I have to admit the portrayal of gay men didn't really impact my enjoyment that much, but this is just going too far, even for someone who usually doesn't skip games based on these things.
Yea I really dont know what to call this, I just know there's no excusing it. All I can really hope for is that it isnt malicious, but after them being outright confronted on Kanji being gay in an interview (which they denied on the spot) to Persona 5's treatment of gay characters does speak volumes...

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
What's weird to me about the transphobic/homophobic jokes in Atlus games is that they're completely out of character, every single time

Persona 4, and its spin-offs, have massive monologues about accepting who you are and being your true self. It's literally the theme of the game. But characters constantly bring up Kanji's shadow as a joke, even though that happens with literally no other character after they're recruited (imagine if everyone was like "gonna go strip, Rise?" it'd be appalling)

The frustrating thing is they have an out for most of it too - make Yosuke closeted. It wouldn't be perfect, but that sort of deflection would actually make him somewhat realistically written - speaking from personal experience as a teen. As is the case now, though, he becomes a baffling jerk to Kanji for no reason, and no one stops him. Teddie is even worse and I think he gets way too much of a free pass for his shtick.

Same goes for Persona 5, almost everyone is great to Lala but those two gay stereotypes are to be feared/laughed at.

IIRC Lala was one of the most popular characters even in Japan so maybe that'll tip make them tweak things for Persona 5 R. But probably not.
Don't forget how the Persona 4 anime made the Protagonist actively take part in those Yosuke jokes every time and even added in a creepy fanservice scene with the girls during Shadow Kanji's introduction since they thought viewers would be afraid of too much gay stuff on the screen, I guess.

But none of this is suprising to me. Atlus has never been particularly interested in developing their characters beyond stereotypes since Persona 3. They dabble in themes that present an illusion of depth, but it never pays off, it's never explored, and of course it's never explicitly pro-LGBT rights. The (modern) Persona games have always been about a power fantasy being the center of a friendship circle that you have all the control in. Complex or progressive characters simply get in the way of the mainstream appeal that safe, uncontroversial ones provide.

Last edited:

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
Granted I haven't played Catherine since its original EU release but if I recall Catherine (the character) did not seem like the kind of person who wanted others to be happy, only to further her selfish goals. Her going back in time to make everyone's lives better seems so out of character for her. Translations being what they are they could easily lose certain nuances. I could very much see an ending where Catherine claims to be going back to improve everyone's lives but in actuality makes it worse, hence Erica not transitioning.

Or I could be wrong and this is another example of Japanese lack of understanding of the LGBT community.

That's because she didn't, she never said she was going back in time to improve everyone's lives. She goes back in time to create a timeline in which her and Vincent could meet earlier, under different circumstances.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
And what do you consider them hand waving be ? As they have zero influence on AJP whatsoever.
If they are responsible for localizing hateful content and marketing it to consumers, then they don't get to handwave all responsibility away by saying "but they made all the decisions, we're just following orders". They need to share the responsibility for the global spread of an extremely hateful product. They don't get to claim total blamelessness here.

Oct 25, 2017
That's because she didn't, she never said she was going back in time to improve everyone's lives. She goes back in time to create a timeline in which her and Vincent could meet earlier, under different circumstances.
That's already better, but still really shitty to make Erica not transition for whatever reason. It's definitely not as aggressive as it first sounded like if your version is the correct one, but it's still denying her identity, it implies her transition was just a result of "circumstances", and not an expression of her true self, of who she really is and always was.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I feel it's a representation of how far Japanese society as a whole is on issues of race, gender and sexuality. At this point it just comes across as willful ignorance.
Persona 3 had a trans woman who the cast pointed out forgot to shave, humiliating her in a public space, Persona 4 famously featured Kanji's crippling fear of his own sexuality, and Persona 5 featured a gay couple who not only stalk the protagonist and Ryuji, but eventually molest Ryuji offscreen, resulting in the protagonist mocking him after the fact.

This isn't ignorance. This is malice. The series has actively made an effort to make queer people the butt of jokes, and when they're not the joke itself, it's them subjecting others to their queerness that is the "joke", such as everyone making fun of Toby for being in a sexual relationship with Erica, all because she's trans.

It's really not surprising at all to me that the one game in the SMT canon that depicts a gay relationship in a respectful manner is the one Hashino wasn't involved in the production or direction of: Persona 2.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
For everyone who is talking about willful ignorance : when is the last time P Studio/Studio Zero released a game without an homophobic or transphobic joke ?

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
What I don't understand is why do they always include some shit like this in their games. It would be so much easier to just avoid the subject altogether and not include any LGBT stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if there's a random closeted guy on Atlus Japan adding all this crap.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 had a trans woman who the cast pointed out forgot to shave, humiliating her in a public space, Persona 4 famously featured Kanji's crippling fear of his own sexuality, and Persona 5 featured a gay couple who not only stalk the protagonist and Ryuji, but eventually molest Ryuji offscreen, resulting in the protagonist mocking him after the fact.

This isn't ignorance. This is malice. The series has actively made an effort to make queer people the butt of jokes, and when they're not the joke itself, it's them subjecting others to their queerness that is the "joke", such as everyone making fun of Toby for being in a sexual relationship with Erica, all because she's trans.

I remember all of those examples from Persona very vividly and I agree wholeheartedly. What I mean is that to me, it feels like they're not even attempting to take on the criticism they're receiving and trying to A) Understand the issues and B) Learn from their mistakes. That's why I call it willful ignorance. Of course, it absolutely comes across as malicious too. The two are not mutually exclusive.

For everyone who is talking about willful ignorance : when is the last time P Studio/Studio Zero released a game without an homophobic or transphobic joke ?

See above.

What I don't understand is why do they always include some shit like this in their games. It would be so much easier to just avoid the subject altogether and not include any LGBT stuff.

This so much. As a black guy, my stance is that if you can't represent my people properly in your games, movies, tv shows etc then don't bother having us in there in the first place. That counts for all minorities by extension.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I remember all of those examples from Persona very vividly and I agree wholeheartedly. What I mean is that to me, it feels like they're not even attempting to take on the criticism they're receiving and trying to A) Understand the issues and B) Learn from their mistakes. That's why I call it willful ignorance. Of course, it absolutely comes across as malicious too. The two are not mutually exclusive.
I see what you mean.

This kind of stuff hurts especially hard for myself and many of my friends, given I'm queer, as are many of my close friends. We all really enjoy the Persona series, but as these problematic elements continue to reappear in the series, and we grow older (and more conscious of our position in the world), it becomes a lot harder to enjoy these titles.

Atlus can fuck off. It hurts so much to enjoy a series that actively, vocally hates me.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that it's, what, nearly a decade after the original game's release and they did this is just mind boggling

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
And people expect Atlus to treat the LGBT community better in P5R re-release.

Fuck off, Atlus.

If we're lucky this situation will wrap around itself around and become a good thing. Because clearly at this point Atlus still hasn't gotten the memo yet regarding these issues, and maybe or maybe not this is the straw that breaks the camel's back regarding their writing of LGBT characters because of the poor handling and backlash.

If they don't address this and/or continue to write similar scenarios in their future games...good luck.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about this is that there were trans people out there who actually really liked Erica, they just hated the way the game treated her.

I'm kinda at a total loss for words here.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
Well AtlusUSA, you have got some cleanup to do. The context overall looks pretty vile, and of course, this isn't Atlus's first foray into the "eccentric and flamboyant characteristics are evil" pool.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Talking about being tonedeaf and oblivious. There is a red thread in Atlus' story making that tries to include certain groups without having to deal with them on a proper basis, hence the depiction(/or attempted humourous take) of gays preying on teenage boys or this treatment of a trans character.