TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...s-max-xr-problem-ipad-expensive-cost-upgrade/

In short: the data on all iPhones and iPads running iOS 12 is not safe. This comes after an announcement from popular data recovery company DriveSavers that files on these devices can be accessed with "a 100% success rate". Furthermore, unlike most security holes which are disclosed to Apple, this one is being kept secret.

Why? Speaking to MacRumors, DriveSavers said it is building a service around the exploit and charging users up to $3,900 if they want to access locked devices. That said, the company stresses it is using strict identification protocols from customers to ensure they are not hacking an iPhone or iPad which doesn't belong to them.

Full 100% unencrypted data dumps. Yikes.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
So much for giving up the right to repair your devices for that feeling of security.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to need more than Forbes blog signal-boosting PR to care about this. If they can actually do full backups of any iOS device, we'll see proof of that soon enough.

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've had these discussions enough times in enough threads for me to understand you cannot fathom what a reliable source is. Witness you posting a Forbes contributor blog as the OP.
It's been posted multiple times over the last week, I just posted this one since it was the newest one I saw :p

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So much for giving up the right to repair your devices for that feeling of security.
You are confusing security with privacy. Unless Google also needs access to your device and an exploit to mine all your data, of course, but I am doubtful that is how they work.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
You are confusing security with privacy. Unless Google also needs access to your device and an exploit to mine all your data, of course, but I am doubtful that is how they work.
their post was disingenuous or ignorant.. but, that is apple's reasoning behind not allowing repairs.. i.e. that data stored on the SecureEnclave chip, internal private keys, etc become vulnerable by allowing 3rd party repairs. Now this doesn't necessarily invalidate that, AND may very possibly in fact validate that. We simply don't know, and DriverSavers likely isn't telling.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
their post was disingenuous or ignorant.. but, that is apple's reasoning behind not allowing repairs.. i.e. that data stored on the SecureEnclave chip, internal private keys, etc become vulnerable by allowing 3rd party repairs. Now this doesn't necessarily invalidate that, AND may very possibly in fact validate that. We simply don't know, and DriverSavers likely isn't telling.
Harsh reality is that bugs can and will continue to happen. No matter who, or with what end goal, makes the hard- and software. The fact that you need access to the device for most of these hacks to work is because of all the security build into handsets these days, that is the good news.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Harsh reality is that bugs can and will continue to happen. No matter who, or with what end goal, makes the hard- and software. The fact that you need access to the device for most of these hacks to work is because of all the security build into handsets these days, that is the good news.
I definitely agree. I was just saying... we don't know where this falls in line with apple's stance on repairs and the reasoning for it.

but yes I agree. That they need your physical device, and that to our knowledge there still has never been an iCloud breach, is a very good thing. Also that this is being called (even by them) a data dump, and not a phone unlock is pretty interesting.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
What about that takeaway is ignorant? The hardware lockouts were the cost of higher security. The way I'm reading it, DriveSavers found a way around that lockout. If data can still be retrieved from bricked devices aren't customers getting screwed in the tradeoff?

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
The way I'm reading it, DriveSavers found a way around that lockout.
it's ignorant because this statement is 100% baseless and unfounded. No one knows what data is available, how it is dumped, or the manner at which it's done. Do they have access to biometrics and NFC payment data? Do they have access to phone-stored private keys? Or are they simply able to decrypt and access the NVRAM file system?

There are many different areas that are secured, and multiple mechanisms to work to secure. Without knowing what is vulnerable it's impossible to say that the steps apple takes to secure the device from 3rd party repair shops is the vulnerability being exploited or not. Thus it's either ignorant or intended to stir up phone war bullshit.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Well, because the phone unlock itself is crazy but the 100% usable data dump and recovery of that dump is the crazier thing imo
there is no phone unlock from this that has been mentioned... stop. as far as has been released, supposedly this is just a data dump. aka they've likely either gained access to the key used to encrypt the APFS on the device, or they found a vulnerability in APFS, or they're able to intercept the IO.. etc.. nothing mentioned indicates they can actually unlock a device.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is no phone unlock from this that has been mentioned... stop. as far as has been released, supposedly this is just a data dump. aka they've likely either gained access to the key used to encrypt the APFS on the device, or they found a vulnerability in APFS, or they're able to intercept the IO.. etc.. nothing mentioned indicates they can actually unlock a device.
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/27/drivesavers-ios-passcode-recovery-service/

DriveSavers has provided MacRumors with additional info on its iPhone unlocking service. The company is able to fully unlock the iPhone and return the unlocked device to the owner, and there's an option to back up the phone's data to an external device. DriveSavers is not able to provide further information on its unlocking methods.

it's an unlock, backup and restore "service".

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
it's ignorant because this statement is 100% baseless and unfounded. No one knows what data is available, how it is dumped, or the manner at which it's done. Do they have access to biometrics and NFC payment data? Do they have access to phone-stored private keys? Or are they simply able to decrypt and access the NVRAM file system?

There are many different areas that are secured, and multiple mechanisms to work to secure. Without knowing what is vulnerable it's impossible to say that the steps apple takes to secure the device from 3rd party repair shops is the vulnerability being exploited or not. Thus it's either ignorant or intended to stir up phone war bullshit.
It has nothing to do with phone wars. The conversation has nothing to do with comparison to Android, Windows, or whatever. Even in a situation where Apple's security chip could be seen as a huge positive like police trying to force your phone unlocked to incriminate you, if it's possible to have it done then what am I getting out of the war on 3rd party repairs? Datasavers didn't offer the scope of what can be recovered but if they are confident enough to charge almost $4000 for the service I'd assume it's something worthwhile. They are a reputable data recovery company. Not some sort of scene group.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Don't they say this shit a lot?

I dunno if I'm buyin' what they're sellin' me
usually when they start selling services... it's safe to assume it's legit. Granted most of the time there are asterisks a mile long as to what device/OS/version they can do shit on. In this case being they are saying any device and specifically stating extracting data.. my guess is it's a vulnerability present in APFS on iOS devices.. but that is just a guess.

It has nothing to do with phone wars. The conversation has nothing to do with comparison to Android, Windows, or whatever. Even in a situation where Apple's security chip could be seen as a huge positive like police trying to force your phone unlocked to incriminate you, if it's possible to have it done then what am I getting out of the war on 3rd party repairs? Datasavers didn't offer the scope of what can be recovered but if they are confident enough to charge almost $4000 for the service I'd assume it's something worthwhile. They are a reputable data recovery company. Not some sort of scene group.
and I agree with everything here. so let's not bring the "looks like apple stopping 3rd party blah blah blah" into this. It's 100% unnecessary and for all we know 100% unrelated.

jelmerjt

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Looks like Apple has some leverage over them.

schermafbeelding2018-ymf8n.png

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2017

Based on what I know about security. They could have found an exploit within the central commands of the device that regardless of unlocking the phone, they could have away to expose the developer mode or along these lines which grant access to modify permissions without access the device. Could be a brute force sort of attempt.

Just a though it all.

I know how to break into the developer mode with my phone unlocked only due to security courses I took. However I wonder if there is a way they were able to break this within a handshake attempt

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

For everyone wondering where a lot of this is coming from, the SEP has been a little less mysterious in the past few years.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Despite this, is there anything to suggest it's not an unlock? Could just be a faceID exploit.
because when companies can offer unlocks, the advertise/announce/etc them as such.

data dumps are useful just for recovering data. unlocks essentially make a brick usable. that's a world of difference (And price).

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2017
what a shitty way to do business. wont even share the exploit to the company so they can fix it

Whats even worse about this, is the company has been working with them for years. So for them to not work with apple makes me believe they have found a code at the root of the code, something at the base of ios12. Hopefully an update or patch can correct but when asking for that kind of money. Makes you wonder.