dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
MV5BODNlZTRiMzYtNzE0ZC00ODExLWI4MjEtNDVkY2VjODU3MzllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMjc3ODM@._V1_.jpg
Beat me to it.

There are plenty of mothers in videogames, but it sure seems less relevant than the mostly recent trend of gruffy, badass fathers with a young rebellious child. Amnesia: Rebirth, (the following is a spoiler for a very well known Walking Sim you will know if you've played it) of which is a very relevant part of the game. Bayonetta (sorta), Sindel from Mortal Kombat are a few relevant examples (somebody else mentioned Selan in Lufia 2, good shout). Not relevant to the plot, well, many characters, too much to count, to whom motherhood is irrelevant to the plot or mechanics.

Does Claire Redfield count?

In all of her roles she's always playing a maternal role to someone (even steve burnside)
This is a weird trope. I felt this happened back in the nineties with characters like Terra and Celes from FFVI. Recently I had this issue with the TV Series The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, where Sabrina is oddly maternal to all of her friends. Remember Pokémon? The series where they turned 12 year old Misty into a mother with Togepi? Maybe this is common in some sort of media. It kinda irks me, for some reason, but I am not sure it should.

Mothers and women that aren't ace or bi are almost nonexistent as main characters sadly.

True, though I'm not sure how their sexual oritentation is relevant here.

Does this count? In that case, there might be more.

Oct 28, 2017
In The Walking Dead's Final Season Clementine is basically an adoptive Mom, it's a Mom game the same way the first season with Lee was a Dad game. Fits very well because the story goes full circle

As much as I love the first season, I'd even say the finale one does it better. Because everything you're teaching him actually impacts AJ, and the plot is really shaped by how he reacts to what happens around him

Now that I think of it, The Walking Dead: Michonne applies, too. The loss of her children is the core of her trauma and the game really conveys that

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I guess Ellie is a mother together with Dina from TLOU Part II. Not for the entire game though.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Don't know if this counts, but in Rakuen, the MC's mother follows him around everywhere and at some point you also plays as her, she's a central figure and is there for the whole game

ss_2eccc75443a7f14a1ef133a4455b6ab9e83aa574.1920x1080.jpg