Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I thought Kor Blademaster had flying as well. Likely because he looked like he was flying in the artwork :(

Guess I now understand why no one else was excited about the card, lol

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought Kor Blademaster had flying as well. Likely because he looked like he was flying in the artwork :(

Guess I now understand why no one else was excited about the card, lol
I need to figure out how well it'd actually work in my decks, but it's one I'm definitely excited about!

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Am I not understanding something about Brawl? It just feels like worthless format. I netdecked a couple of options and each game just turns into a slog that isn't any fun at all.

It's like every game is just the other player building something to continually shut me down and I mean, I might be able to come back, but it seems like it's gonna take 10 turns to figure out whether that's possible or not?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
uberplatt asked:
Hi Mark, So now that Tuesday is past, I wanted to ask if there was a chance for Dwarves in next years sets?
A Norse-inspired set? A D&D set? There will be Dwarves.

September 02, 2020

gbknight asked:
What are the qualities of one of the new MDFC on the land side? Does it have the CMC of the front face?
No, each side has its own CMC.

September 02, 2020

sandsbuisle asked:
Do the new DFC lands have a CMC when in play? Would you be able to 'Despark' 'Emeria, Shattered Skyclave'?
The MDFC lands act like any land. They have no mana cost and a CMC of 0.

September 03, 2020

stuffandsooniguess asked:
"Do the new DFC lands have a CMC when in play? Would you be able to 'Despark' 'Emeria, Shattered Skyclave'?The MDFC lands act like any land. They have no mana cost and a CMC of 0." Does this represent a rules change? per the current rules, a DFC's backside has the cmc of the frontface, so ixalan fliplands for example have nonzero cmc.
The rules are being updated as TDFCs and MDFCs work a bit differently.

September 03, 2020

iamatimetravelerfrom2306ad asked:
Aren't you concerned that Zendikar, a D&D-inspired set, is being released relatively close to the actual D&D set?
I am not. While there is a little flavor overlap, the two play very differently.

September 03, 2020

glintfang-nezumi asked:
Will angels go back to mostly being jobless after this set, or is this going to set an audience expectation where now people will be disappointed if angels don't have class types?
Angels have classes in sets with class tribal. It's not a change on how we handle Angel creature typing.

September 03, 2020

casuallyangryhottub asked:
With the creation of party, inspired by D&D, do you think we will ever get Bard as its own creature type in future magic sets?
We've talked about it.

September 03, 2020

glintfang-nezumi asked:
The increasing amount of equipment that automatically attaches to a creature when you play it feels like it's stuffing their superiority in auras' faces even more. Is this like a subtheme of the set or is it just design space that you guys are going to keep using a lot more often now?
It's a sub theme of this set.

September 03, 2020

ultwarrior asked:
I enjoyed Allies in the previous visits to Zendikar but I think Party seems like a better implementation of the D&D feel that adventure world wanted to aim for, so colour me impressed with it. That said, do you feel adventure world Zendikar eats up some of the equity that next year's D&D set would have wanted?
There's a lot of D&D to work with.

September 03, 2020

belteshazzar98 asked:
How much has the definition of strictly better changed? Because under the definition from your making magic article from 03/31/03 the pathway lands are strictly better, but you have said it was decided they just skirted close to, but were not quite, strictly better.
Since that article, we've greatly decreased cards that punish a specific basic land type while making plenty of ones that reward it, enough so, that we thought not having a basic land type was enough of a drawback.
That said, this is an experiment. We're trying something new. If it doesn't work, we won't do it again.

September 03, 2020

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you can probably evaluate these double sided cards similarly to if they had Plainscycling or such. Probably better actually, these are effectively 1 mana cheaper

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Am I not understanding something about Brawl? It just feels like worthless format. I netdecked a couple of options and each game just turns into a slog that isn't any fun at all.

It's like every game is just the other player building something to continually shut me down and I mean, I might be able to come back, but it seems like it's gonna take 10 turns to figure out whether that's possible or not?
Brawl was basically made as a way for newer players to ease their way into EDH with a smaller card pool. Since EDH is generally played with 3 or more players, I would expect that's where Brawl shines as well. I will note that, part of the appeal of multiplayer, for a lot of people, is the longer games and the complex game states that can arise from them.

Fearless Fledgling
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
uz4em2xj21l51.png

Seems really good.

Compare to
bcae0517-f7d1-4b67-9ca3-608f2d8a70f9.jpg

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Brawl was basically made as a way for newer players to ease their way into EDH with a smaller card pool. Since EDH is generally played with 3 or more players, I would expect that's where Brawl shines as well. I will note that, part of the appeal of multiplayer, for a lot of people, is the longer games and the complex game states that can arise from them.
Yeah, I think I can see that. It just felt like something was missing? The two games I won were because people just conceded once I got a little ahead, likely due to just getting the awards.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fledgling is gonna win some limited games no doubt. I actually thought of favored hoplite since it's in the white uncommon spot.

Oct 28, 2017
The full art rate land cycle looks really great. I just saw that. I might get a few non-foils if they're cheap.

Not sold on the new expedition frame. Need to see it in person.

Really like the bolt land. Can't wait to see the other colors.

Hagra Mauling
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
rlj5cvvt82l51.png

Hagra Bites 2{B}{B}

Instant Rare

If any opponent controls no basic lands, this spell cost {1} less to cast.

Destroy target creature.
---------------------------------------

Hagra Nest

~~~ enter the battlefield tapped.

tap: add{B}

Odd condition for the cost reduction, but I think it'll come up in constructed.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Hagra Bites 2{B}{B}

Instant Rare

If any opponent controls no basic lands, this spell cost {1} less to cast.

Destroy target creature.
---------------------------------------

Hagra Nest

~~~ enter the battlefield tapped.

tap: add{B}

Odd condition for the cost reduction, but I think it'll come up in constructed.

This doesn't seem that great for a rare. Having the land mode is always great, but it's always tapped and only occasionally being as efficient as a Murder feels bad. I'll fully admit I'm probably underestimating the versatility of these cards though.

I like the idea of MDFCs so far so this excites me, but I take it you're not a fan lol.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
DFCs are an abomination to me that should be limited to digital-only or silver-bordered sets. It's very existence offends me. It's a big reason Innistrad is one of my least favorite sets ever. And I know I'm very much in the minority.
My original stint of playing Magic casually was Mirrodin through OG Ravnica. When I first came back around M15/Khans of Tarkir I was a bit shocked when I first saw that DFC cards existed and I hated them. Eventually they won me over with the mechanical and flavor advantages of them. Also, at least they look better than the ugly as shit split/aftermath cards.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I like split cards.

I get why they make DFCs, having made a bunch of cards myself. You can make sexier DCFs than you ever could the Kamigawa flip cards because there's so much more text box space, and turning a card over is a very powerful way to illustrate the concept of transformation through game mechanics. I just really really don't want to actually take a double-sleeved card out of the outer sleeve, and flip it over, nor ask the incredibly casual Magic players that play my giant cube-thing with me to do it either.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish it was non-creature artifacts. What a complete backbreaker vs stone coil and that suited up ginger brute/ornithopter.

Shatterskull Smashing; Cragplate Baloth; Murasa Brute; Roil Eruption; Inscription of Ruin; Merfolk Falconer; Attended Healer; Expedition Champion; Disenchant; Iridescent Hornbeetle; Kargan Intimidator; Spare Supplies
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
lw8zrorz63l51.png

People keep orienting the land side first in these previews and it annoys me. Looks like everything in this cycle is a late game play. This seems really good for RDW.

EhFV2ERVoAAsp_V

A haste hexproof can't be countered creature with power lower than its CMC and no trample? Unplayable.

IMG_20200904_052753.jpg

EhEey_oWsAEMcNz.png:large
EhEe0NLXgAEvjtF.png:large

Though this is two mana and a sorcery, 3 and 5 damage is probably a more significant set of damage than Burst Lightning's 2 and 4.

unknown.png

Kicker 2BB

Choose one. If ~ kicked, choose any number instead.

• Target opponent discards two cards from their hand.

• Return a creature with 2 or less cmc from your graveyard to the battlefield.

• Destroy target creature with 3 or less cmc.

Mode 1 is straight up Mind Rot. Looks really good (this is one of those cases where kicker will make people think it's worse than they would have without kicker).

gieIQHV_d.webp

Looks good. Note that you scry before the spell resolves.

1MlhPpD_d.webp

This not having lifelink on its own or being able to target itself makes it much worse.

qAw1jpi_d.webp

This is alright.

q3s18liig5l51.png

unknown.png

Seems good in a +1/+1 counter deck.

unknown.png

Cowards can't block Warriors! Interesting to see a charm-like activated ability.

4i1ehey8l5l51.png

Looks alright, though it'll usually be a last pick.

Sea Gate Restoration; Murasa Sproutling; Moraug, Fury of Akoum; Lithoform Blight; Phylath, World Sculptor; Magic Story - Red Route
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
fk52kq8ro5l51.png

Of the cycle revealed so far, I feel like this is least likely to see play.

unknown.png

Murasa Sproutling - 2G
Creature - Plant Elemental
Kicker 1G
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, return target card with kicker from your graveyard to your hand.
3/3

Seems good; 3/3 for 2G is already fine for Limited.

unknown.png

Just keep attacking forever. I can't think of another repeated combat step that allows multiples in a turn so easily.

lithoformblight2.png

Interesting. To be clear, this isn't super new territory for black, since it could always turn lands into Swamps. Neat that you can use it for mana fixing for yourself in a pinch.

This is also a story spotlight card.

EhFn81SX0AYtME9
EhFn81SXkAIL7oG

This seems really good.

~~~

And new Magic Story. Will summarize later.
magic.wizards.com

Red Route | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Reunited after years apart, Akiri and Zareth hunt down an ancient artifact, one that could change the fate of Zendikar . . .

Skyclave Plunder
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Skyclave Treasure - 4U
Sorcery
Look at the top X cards of your library, where X is three plus the number of creatures in your party. Put three in your hand, the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

This is alright.

minoke5618 asked:
So, there's an article around on Mashable that quotes you saying that Modal DFCs are also going to be in Kaldheim and Strixhaven. Just want to confirm that this is accurate information?
That quote is one hundred percent accurate. Note that each set will execute on MDFCs in a way that best fits the theme of that set.

September 04, 2020

One prediction I saw for Strixhaven is a simple spell on the front, then an advanced version on the back that you need to fulfill some threshold to be able to cast.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Threshold is back? Awesome. Add Madness and we can party like it's the Odyssey block all over again.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threshold is back? Awesome. Add Madness and we can party like it's the Odyssey block all over again.
Throw madness on the pile and I get to relive my Magic glory days of ripping off 2-3 months of winning my local FNM every week with an ever evolving Frog in a Blender deck. All downhill from there!

By the end it was splashing black for Zombie Infestation and had 12 painlands plus city of brass 😭

Let's gooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.