• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, oof. Card Kingdom finally got stock for those Japanese art planeswalkers, and they jumped their prices MASSIVELY. Was going to pick up a few of the neat but not hugely playable cards, but I don't really feel like paying the asking price for any of those now. Like, I find the art on Arlinn and Jiang Yanggu kinda nice, and would've grabbed them for a few bucks like they were showing pre-stock, but I don't feel like paying $5 each for random jank I'll never play just to have it. Same for Vraska who I REALLY like the art on, but I'm not paying $9 for a copy. Or like, Tamiyo was definitely under $10 IIRC and I was considering it, but they jumped it to $25 and that's like... Yeeeeeeeah, no thanks. I'll keep a vague eye on them in case prices ever drop, but for now, that's a nope.

Oct 28, 2017
Starting to feel I sold too early even though I got a minimum of $8 on each of the ones I sold. Bought packs for $4 each on a whim and nearly doubled my money though, so that's nothing to scoff at.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The final Ultra Pro Japanese planeswalker playmats are in: Nicol, Chandra, Nahiri, Narset, Nissa, and Sorin.

Looks like they've hit a snag with Liliana.

2dulBXq.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Two questions.

First, are the Japanese packs out? I'll be in Japan next week and might hit up a card shop (any good ones that I should check out? I'll be in Tokyo but also Hiroshima, Kumamoto, and Nagasaki).

Second, I'm making an Ayli EDH deck but don't know where to go next. She needs you to build life, so I have a bunch of creatures like Cruel Celebrant, Blood Artist, Soul Warden, and a bunch of spells and creatures that make the opponent lose life when you gain life. So, when it comes to life gain, I have some good options. But now comes the other parts of her skill set -- should I add in a bunch of easy-to-sac creatures/token generators, as well as some spells that will protect her when she's out on the field? What are some good cards that will synergize with her and the type of creatures that she invites?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Two questions.

First, are the Japanese packs out? I'll be in Japan next week and might hit up a card shop (any good ones that I should check out? I'll be in Tokyo but also Hiroshima, Kumamoto, and Nagasaki).
They came out day and date.
The problem is they're sold out everywhere and/or marked up massively.

Edit: card shops to check out in Tokyo are: Hareruya (duh), Amenity Dream, Hobby Station, Famicom-kun.
Lotta good singles prices at all of those. Amenity has the best pack prices too if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Two questions.

Second, I'm making an Ayli EDH deck but don't know where to go next. She needs you to build life, so I have a bunch of creatures like Cruel Celebrant, Blood Artist, Soul Warden, and a bunch of spells and creatures that make the opponent lose life when you gain life. So, when it comes to life gain, I have some good options. But now comes the other parts of her skill set -- should I add in a bunch of easy-to-sac creatures/token generators, as well as some spells that will protect her when she's out on the field? What are some good cards that will synergize with her and the type of creatures that she invites?

Check out EDHREC. I'm not familiar enough with Ayli to say for sure what you need.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions.

If you are going to hit up card stores, you might want to take a look at a list of some of the more expensive EDH cards and keep them in mind- EDH cards are always cheaper in Japan than they are in America, and on higher end cards, Japanese/Japanese foils are going to have a big premium over English cards

WolfofMebu

Oct 25, 2017
H1a2unr.jpg

Now that I've spent way too much on 36 magic cards, does anyone have decent ideas for displaying them, or perhaps some cool examples?

WolfofMebu

Oct 25, 2017
That's incredible. If you want to frame them, you're gonna need a mat with 36 cutouts.

Personally, you might want to look at baseball card products. https://www.amazon.com/Lockable-Display-Football-Baseball-basketball/dp/B0033RZCPK

I'll check into the baseball card stuff, convenient that that case holds 36 cards.

Holy crap, are all of them prerelease promos? I didn't know they did uncommons with that date stamp thing.

They're all prerelease promos. Yeah, since they were Planeswalkers they got prerelease promos even though they're uncommon.

Oct 25, 2017
This Limited format makes me so mad sometimes. It's so swingy. There are so many completely unbeatable cards. It's so much more about whether or not you open, draw, and play your bombs than it is anything else in so many games.

Oct 28, 2017
This Limited format makes me so mad sometimes. It's so swingy. There are so many completely unbeatable cards. It's so much more about whether or not you open, draw, and play your bombs than it is anything else in so many games.

I don't think so. I have a pretty fantastic win rate and I don't think I've ever had a true bomb in a draft. No gods or Nicol Bolas or anything like that except Kefnet in a draft where I went 1-2. My last 7-2 deck ran no rares or mythics at all.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Astral Drift 2W
Enchantment
Whenever you cycle Astral Drift or cycle another card while Astral Drift is on the battlefield, you may exile target creature. Return that creature to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
Cycling 2W

Flusterstorm is the Buy a Box promo.

EDIT: Since it looks like the tweet was deleted
image0.jpg

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Is Modern Horizon going to have a regular prerelease? A LGS posted on FB about having one but they listed the price as $50 which seems like quite a bit of a difference. Even with the MSRP of each pack that's still $8 more than buying the packs separately.

Oct 25, 2017
The "fix" has practically no effect in a game of Modern, while the uncounterable cycle trigger that goes through Meddling Mage has way more value than the one time the Grixis player fucks up and Cycles Street Wraith before attacking

To be honest, I have to admit that I misremembered exactly how Astral Slide worked - this isn't as far off as I thought.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good sign that the first spoiler from this set immediately resurrects a top tier standard deck from back in the day.

Bets on Eternal Dragon making it in?

Also Blastoderm and Saproling Burst. Maybe Lin Sivvi and Ramosian Sergeant? Maybe a little Replenish action?

I could daydream about this all day

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good sign that the first spoiler from this set immediately resurrects a top tier standard deck from back in the day.

Bets on Eternal Dragon making it in?

Also Blastoderm and Saproling Burst. Maybe Lin Sivvi and Ramosian Sergeant? Maybe a little Replenish action?

I could daydream about this all day

Replenish is on the reserved list unfortunately.

Astral Slide was my favorite standard deck as a kid. I can't wait for more.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How's everyone feeling about drafting the set?

I think it's pretty awesome so far, the average card has way more going on than the Ravnica sets and games feel far more strategic. I was worried I wouldn't like the set much after playing Sealed because my success in that format felt like it was based entirely on what rares I picked up. Draft is like that to an extent, but there's a ton of great removal, and some really powerful commons that can hold their own against all but the most broken rares. Cards like Oketra are definitely a bummer to face, but that happens infrequently enough that I don't really mind.

The decks available are really fun too. My favorite is the four/ five color deck with a green/ black base for Leyline Prowler, Deathsprout, and the green fixers. Green/ blue proliferate has been awesome for me as well (white always seems to underperform when I try to draft it despite seeming like the more obvious proliferate deck on paper). I've lost to the red/blue spells decks many times but I feel like I don't have enough experience to play it yet, the few times I've tried to draft it always end badly. I think I would benefit a lot from watching some streams and taking notes on how people balance spells and creatures and when they choose to use bounce and counter spells, but the other decks are more fun to me anyway.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think the draft format is really fun. Thinking about socking a couple boxes away to break out every few years honestly.

Feb 16, 2018
the drafts are quite good in-person

it's not very competitive, but it's fun

the pod plays out similarly to dominaria. better cards tend to win and where you sit matters a lot
WAR is basically an increase in broken/exciting stuff and a decrease in balance. it's a good exchange to make for a casual format

i wish white was stronger, but it is self-correcting and you do benefit from fewer people being in that color. as long as people aren't trying to splash all your good white cards, they should find their way into your pile

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, white seems below average unless it's paired with red or green. I've drafted U/W many times but it's not good enough. Funny thing is Trusted Pegasus is often just a Wind Drake; it's more effective in G/W or R/W.

I've lost to the red/blue spells decks many times but I feel like I don't have enough experience to play it yet, the few times I've tried to draft it always end badly. I think I would benefit a lot from watching some streams and taking notes on how people balance spells and creatures and when they choose to use bounce and counter spells, but the other decks are more fun to me anyway.
Like many other draft formats, U/R relies on synergies. Signals are therefore important. If you don't get them, don't draft it. The important cards are I think (ignoring rares and mythics): Spellgorger Weird, Flux Channeler, Kasmina, Ral's Outburst, Tamiyo's Epiphany, Jaya's Greeting, Chandra's Triumph, Contentious Plan. Amass is important as well but you can get it from a number of cards, the best being Eternal Skylord. You should pick up a Lazotep Plating as well because of the low number of threats which makes you vulnerable to decks with a lot of removal.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I like the art on the lands. But I wish that they were truly full art like the Unstable lands. The border takes away from how much better these could have looked.

I wonder if they are going to drip feed a rare and a mythic.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I thought the assumption was Snow Covered mattering again was going to be the fall set for sure. So does that mean it's going to be a theme in Modern Horizons instead?

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
they said multiple time that they don't want to do a snow matter theme in standard in the foreseeable future.
Ah, okay. Must have missed that, admittedly not the most up to date on such statements. Just knew there was buzz about snow coming back, and the rumor that fall is going to be Viking stuff, which would line up. But fair enough.

Edit: Holy crap, haha. The JP planeswalkers on Card Kingdom are all out of stock again anyway, but they threw up pages for the foils now and... their listed price for foil Lili is $1000. Wow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.