Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics
Next set: Innistrad: Crimson Vow
Story archive
Premier events schedule

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Last time in Magic, there was an out-of-continuity crossover with Dungeons & Dragons, but before that, we visited the magic school of Strixhaven. In the process of protecting the campus from an evil organization, new planeswalkers Will and Rowan Kenrith grew to understand themselves, and Liliana learned to let go of the past and move forward as a teacher.

This time...

On the gothic horror plane of Innistrad, the nights grow longer as the autumn Harvesttide Festival approaches—longer than even the time of year should allow, and the monsters are taking notice. Having lost the guardian archangel Avacyn, people fear an endless night is approaching and are turning to dark and ancient rituals to bring back the day.

Innistrad sets are focused on the graveyard, transforming double-faced cards, and monsters. Spirits, zombies, vampires, and werewolves call the plane their home, plus all manners of miscellaneous nasties. In Midnight Hunt, werewolves take the forefront; vampires will lead the charge in the next set, Crimson Vow.

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt will feature two tie-in Commander decks.

In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Zendikar Rising
  • Kaldheim
  • Strixhaven: School of Mages
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
  • Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Yup, as the title said, we're finally leaving behind Throne of Eldraine and its seemingly endless Standard. And with that...

Banned cards in Standard.
Almost hard to believe a Standard ban list could be this small again.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. This set has 100-card Commander decks that are meant to serve as an introduction, though note that these cards can't be used for most formats outside of Commander, a casual multiplayer format. Challenger Decks (2021 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. Note that many cards in these will have rotated out by the time this set releases, however.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. Check if in-person events are back at your local game store. Find local game stores here.

gBOYHkzfc7.jpg

Set details
Arena Release Date:
September 16, 2021
Prerelease Date: September 17–23, 2021
Paper Release Date: September 24, 2021
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics

Transform
en_1uWYv55gug.png
en_6ZqmeOh3Dg.png

en_8dVoJdoJ0W.png
en_cJjoOsVyy7.png

Innistrad is known for its double-faced cards that transform from one side to the other. Unlike the modal double-faced cards of the last year of sets, you can only cast the front side. There are multiple ways cards can transform, and two methods have new keywords in this set.

Day and Night

en_yJV4HxZHQx.png
en_fygOs4gptM.png

en_elceDd7dbs.png
en_lZJW4VQXKO.png
en_s67yMBZAgD.png
en_DjEFUWexMk.png

For those who have been to Innistrad before, you may be familiar with the day and night cycle the werewolves followed. However, now that applies to the entire battlefield.

The game starts out neither day nor night, but then when a daybound permanent enters the battlefield and makes it day, it's time to start paying attention.

If a player goes their turn without casting any spells, then it's time to let the monsters loose, so it changes to night at the start of the next turn. At this point, all daybound permanents transform into their nightbound sides. Notably, any daybound permanents that enter the battlefield while it's night will enter on their nightbound sides.

If a player casts two spells on their own turn, then people are waking up, so it changes to day at the start of the next turn. Again, this is very close to how werewolves have always worked on Innistrad, but it's no longer the case that they'll be out of sync with each other.

The day/night cycle will continue for the rest of the game even if there are no permanents that would care on the battlefield. This means that as long as it's night, new werewolves you cast will enter the battlefield on the back face.

Note that it isn't just werewolves that care about the day/night cycle. Some non-werewolf double-faced creatures will transform at the same times, and some single-faced creatures and spells care not just about the time of day, but switching back and forth. Also keep in mind that unlike the old werewolf trigger, this only cares what players do on their own turns. Feel free to cast instants and flash spells at night to torment your opponents during their turns.

Every color cares about day and night.

Disturb

en_sO1XWiKwFf.png
en_1qnxKzM3NB.png

en_YxH48jOkQi.png
en_JacijYhLjP.png

The dead of Innistrad rarely find rest, especially if you disturb their graves. You may cast a creature from the graveyard for its disturb cost, and it then enters the battlefield transformed into a spirit. When it dies or is countered, you exile it. Note that these are disconnected from the day/night cycle. You can disturb them whenever, and they remain spirits no matter the time of day. This is centered in white and blue.

Coven

en_U4LIhbi2JS.png

en_wb01ywpCT6.png

en_fAN7wGpmjW.png
en_FMvlaTDFFz.png

In light of the growing threat, the forces of good are forced to ally themselves with warlock covens. Coven cares about you controlling three or more creatures with different powers (as in power/toughness), and granting you a bonus effect if you do. This is centered in green and white.

Flashback
en_kr7wFIHjUO.png
en_UFu9OsSpim.png

en_fcjnfaH3HF.png
en_40YzDJ7F1Z.png

Some things never truly end. A mainstay of Magic, spells with flashback can be cast from your hand like normal, but then you can later cast them from your graveyard for the flashback cost. When you do this, the card is exiled and can't be cast again. Note that if you mill a card with flashback, you can still cast it from your graveyard for the flashback cost. It's almost like drawing a card!

Note this is somehow the first time ever that we've gotten gold flashback cards. Flashback appears in all colors.

Investigate
en_EgupOWzJHT.png
en_Cqc8msDOYZ.png

Returning from Shadows Over Innistrad, to understand how to stop the oncoming endless night, the heroes must investigate. When you investigate, you uncover a Clue token, which you can then sacrifice to draw a card. This is the perfect way to use up extra mana you have laying around.

Decayed
en_vXtxi5jl1B.png
en_8nVNkqbU5M.png

Decayed is a new downside mechanic that can be found primarily on zombie tokens. Decayed creatures can't block and die after they attack, but they can be created more easily than normal tokens.

OTHER THREADS
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
Strixhaven: School of Mages
Kaldheim
Zendikar Rising
Core Set 2021
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Theros: Beyond Death
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Regular columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); and Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors. Other articles are used for card previews.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards.
Game store locator

unknown.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Cards revealed so far officially

en_lYlOejVXQ4.png
en_xNb9MZTHAf.png

en_b2y5KwP2Tx.png
en_fwCyF0TuV5.png

en_8NrNVwUmEv.png
en_MngYtH0s0L.png

en_kr7wFIHjUO.png

Basic lands in booster packs look like this
en_75V4TfKQ2w.png
en_owMWudCx9e.png

Normal basic lands are in bundles.

And these were leaked from a conference call

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

y27zsqvf2yk71.jpg

Points of confusion people have had:
* You only start tracking day/night once a daybound creature enters the battlefield, or a spells sets it to day/night.
* If it's night, daybound creatures enter the battlefield transformed to the nightbound side.
* The turn to day and night cases are slightly different from the old werewolf transform condition: it only cares if a player casts two spells or cast no turns on their own turn now.

Also,
image0.jpg

There will be a preview stream on September 2 at 9 AM PT.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Daybound and Nightbound seems confusing especially in Commander, I guess it's just the player before your turn?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Daybound and Nightbound seems confusing especially in Commander, I guess it's just the player before your turn?
It largely works the same way that werewolves have always worked. Before, werewolves would go day side -> night side if no player cast spells the previous turn, and night side -> day side if any player cast two or more spells the previous turn.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
It largely works the same way that werewolves have always worked. Before, werewolves would go day side -> night side if no player cast spells the previous turn, and night side -> day side if any player cast two or more spells the previous turn.
This makes it better in multiplayer - it was easy for someone to cast two spells on your turn or another turn and flip your wolves back. Now it has to be the active player.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If you're interested in the lore, here's a couple of great videos about the stories of the two previous blocks set in Innistrad.

In my opinion, Innistrad is the best plane Wizards ever created, both the lore and the mechanics are amazing. I'm curious to see where they want to go now, between the loss of Avacyn and the arrival of Emrakul the situation for humans have never been worse.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So it's certain Sorin won't be coming back? Maybe another vampire can take his place on top of the food chain. Is Edgar Markov still alive?

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Arlinn looks pretty dang strong. -3 providing great protection is a great start.

Saryth is going to be so annoying to deal with in edh. Protecting a bunch of tappers or untapping Gaea's Cradle and producing that many more mana is gonna be scary.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Enduring Angel looks really neat. Hoping for some good Humans and Spirits. Despite the fact that I haven't really played much Modern/Pioneer, I've got a lot of the cards for those decks and also I'd like to see if they become more viable in Historic.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh haven't played in a couple years...but I love me some Innistrad...very tempting. New day/night stuff seems cool, always loved the werewolf cards.

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really played MTG since Innistrad was first released ten years ago, but I just wanted to drop in here to share my appreciation for the plane/setting. It's just incredibly well done gothic horror.

Last edited:

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really played MTG since Innistrad was first released ten years ago, but I just wanted to drop in here to share my appreciate for the plane/setting. It's just incredibly well done gothic horror.
Perfect time to come back to the game! Arena while sometimes buggy is really welcoming to new and returning players, you can play without spending a dime, and with the in-game rewards, you get enough to draft at least once a week.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he fighting Nahiri during Ravnica's invasion by Bolas the last time we saw him because of the whole turning Sorin into stone thing? Wonder what prompted him to go back to Innistrad.
I mean, it's his home. Same reason why Nahiri went back to Zendikar.

I wonder if we're going to get either clue about what's up with New Phyrexian or if Emrakul is going to get some involvement in the plot.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Love Innistrad as a plane, hopefully these sets are more fun than Shadows block.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Please MaRo no more Eldrazi. They're the jobbers of MTG.
If I had to guess, at most we'll get something about how werewolves are 'stronger' now, thanks to something odd going on with the moon. A mention here and there in some cards, but no direct involvement from Emrakul herself. We'll have to wait until after New Phyrexia is dealt with before we return *again* to Innistrad for a reveal about why Emrakul allowed the Gatewatch to imprison her in the moon. Maybe it's a plot to resurrect the other Eldrazi? Who knows! Doesn't matter, we'll have to wait another decade for that!

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The above cards came from preview sites jumping the gun, BTW. Same with this one.

Galvanic-Iteration-EN.png

Blue-red is right back to having an instant and sorcery theme.

Also, a clearer Arlinn
unknown.png

Regarding Enduring Angel, since there were some questions about it in the Discord, the "you lose the game" clause is there for copies. Copies that aren't themselves transforming DFC can't transform, and that means that otherwise, you'd never lose the game from life loss.

Looks like in addition to the usual activated ability theme for Innistrad, green is going to be much heavier on flash than usual.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Enduring Angel, since there were some questions about it in the Discord, the "you lose the game" clause is there for copies. Copies that aren't themselves transforming DFC can't transform, and that means that otherwise, you'd never lose the game from life loss.
Hmmm, makes me wonder if they could print a card that's a Clone on the front and something else on the back. Could be fun.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Hmmm, makes me wonder if they could print a card that's a Clone on the front and something else on the back. Could be fun.

They already did with Glasspool Mimic (assuming this is what you mean). I have no idea what happens if the mimic copies a DFC creature, though.

scryfall.com

Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore

{2}{U} • Creature — Shapeshifter Rogue // Land • 0/0 • You may have Glasspool Mimic enter the battlefield as a copy of a creature you control, except it's a Shapeshifter Rogue in addition to its other types. • Zendikar Rising (ZNR) #60 • Illustrated by Johan Grenier • Magic: The Gathering, MTG

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
They already did with Glasspool Mimic (assuming this is what you mean). I have no idea what happens if the mimic copies a DFC creature, though.

scryfall.com

Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore

{2}{U} • Creature — Shapeshifter Rogue // Land • 0/0 • You may have Glasspool Mimic enter the battlefield as a copy of a creature you control, except it's a Shapeshifter Rogue in addition to its other types. • Zendikar Rising (ZNR) #60 • Illustrated by Johan Grenier • Magic: The Gathering, MTG
A modal double-faced card can't be transformed or be put onto the battlefield transformed. Ignore any instruction to transform a modal double-faced card or to put one onto the battlefield transformed.
From the Gatherer/Scryfall rulings on Glasspool Mimic.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
One more preview jumping the gun

nhpfedxfv3l71.png

Contortionist Troupe XG

Creature - Human

~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters

Coven - At the beginning of your end step, if you control 3 or more creatures with different power, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

0/0

Should have introduced a Performer creature type. Actually, circus themed cards on Innistrad are unexpected, though circuses do show up often enough in gothic horror. Coven was revealed in previous leaks as a green-white mechanic. Seems like a solid uncommon, and RIP again Ivy Elemental at rare.

Preview stream will start in 16 minutes at
www.twitch.tv

Magic - Twitch

An Ode to Magic | Modern Horizons 3 Debut

Oct 29, 2017
Yessss, the return of the best plane in the game.

Also, Champion of the Perished is awesome. Both in card mechanic and in flavor (I ran mono W humans back in the original INN block).

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
Yes! I loved Innistrad and I'm excited to go back and enjoy the gothic horror flavor again.

I guess I'll have to see if I'm actually comfortable enough to go back to do a prerelease in person in a store. God I miss that. But even just drafting online will be fun. The recent D&D set did wonders for my nostalgia too

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
COMMANDER CARD
unknown.png

New token-exclusive mechanic, decayed.

IN THE SET
unknown.png

Disturb is a sort of creature flashback. Or more like eternalize in this particular case.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Decayed in the set proper too

E-St9SdVcAUOUUq.png

These are like the old tangolands, but they don't look for basic lands and they don't have basic land types.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I usually find the little skits pretty annoying, but Joe Manganiello was a good pick.

Decayed and Disturb are both really solid mechanics - nothing too flashy, but I can imagine them working well in limited.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I appreciate that Decayed can't be used to just turtle up and demands you either sacrifice or throw them at the enemy if you really want to make use of it.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Articles are up
magic.wizards.com

Happy Hunt-ing, Part 1

Mark welcomes readers to his first Innistrad: Midnight Hunt card preview with design stories new and old.

magic.wizards.com

The Boosters and Products of Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Double-faced cards. New-to-Commander cards. Traditional foil versions of the latest Booster Fun treatments. It's all here.

magic.wizards.com

Collecting Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Equinox and eternal night cards! Werewolf creatures! Innistrad: Midnight Hunt is filled with beautiful cards to collect.

magic.wizards.com

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Mechanics | Magic: The Gathering

Whether it's day or night, if you want to survive on Innistrad, the first step is understanding the mechanics of Innistrad: Midnight Hunt.

And the first story
magic.wizards.com

Episode 1: The Witch of the Woods | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

The sun is dying on Innistrad. Nights grow long. Arlinn Kord investigates a new breed of larger, deadlier werewolves terrorizing villagers and vampires alike.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Cards from the articles
en_elceDd7dbs.png
en_lZJW4VQXKO.png

en_GuD45puFVy.png
en_6hLlj00D86.png

en_YxH48jOkQi.png
en_JacijYhLjP.png

I suppose low disturb cost cards will exile themselves to prevent recursion.

en_MFQZeq2IGO.png

en_tsYPohOWhl.png

Pretty nice removal. Also really wordy common.

en_wb01ywpCT6.png

en_ug5DffTzkt.png
en_wIRsRd7Vg1.png

First werewolf in white! This is one you want to go back and forth a lot.

These are SET BOOSTER AND COLLECTOR BOOSTER EXCLUSIVE cards that aren't Standard legal, and are intended for Commander
en_oyMt3qOjUu.png
en_ImttYG2VKS.png
en_QUQyeznD9g.png

en_PJZRY66qJH.png
en_hZt4mw89sr.png
en_IGpmn2D3ov.png

en_ss7Ep3ORe2.png

I recall they did this before with theme boosters, though those were Standard legal.

And theme boosters
CthvkYFyQC.png

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Spirit is a same-art reprint from Avacyn Restored. That vampire seems like a good common

unknown.png

Yes. Though it really bugs me how the window frame is still intact.

unknown.png

First non-werewolf to care about day/night

sg14jdf0c4l71.png
0hru10kob4l71.png

image0.png

RIP double-rare draft boosters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.