• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hadn't played the game in a while, what're good Dino centric decks atm?

Most dinos are out of Standard now that the Ixalan sets have rotated, so you'd want to be looking at Historic deck lists.

As far as individual dinosaurs in Standard, Rotting Regisaur and Shifting Ceratops have their uses, the former in some niche black aggro decks and the latter as a decent anti-blue creature in place of Carnage Tyrant.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

The next set, Ikoria, looks like there will be some new dinosaurs though, so keep an eye out for that.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend Rampaging Ferocodon as well. It triggers the Enrage keyword on your dinos and it provides great pressure with the buff that comes with it (and you shut off lifegain for your opponent).
It's red and will put you into Jund colors, but honestly, Jund Dinos is a legit deck.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd recommend Rampaging Ferocodon as well. It triggers the Enrage keyword on your dinos and it provides great pressure with the buff that comes with it (and you shut off lifegain for your opponent).

Aren't these two separate cards? Rampaging Ferocidon shuts off lifegain (and is out of Standard) but Marauding Raptor is the one that hits your own creatures and buffs itself (this one is in Standard).

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Most dinos are out of Standard now that the Ixalan sets have rotated, so you'd want to be looking at Historic deck lists.

As far as individual dinosaurs in Standard, Rotting Regisaur and Shifting Ceratops have their uses, the former in some niche black aggro decks and the latter as a decent anti-blue creature in place of Carnage Tyrant.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

The next set, Ikoria, looks like there will be some new dinosaurs though, so keep an eye out for that.
Oh nice thanks. These 2 were popular when last I played and I did see them in a few sets. I was pretty curious what's doable now so I'll look into Ikoria.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So how good is WotC when it comes to listening to player feedback? What are the odds they change their decision to make the Ikoria battle pass terrible compared to the Theros pass?

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
So how good is WotC when it comes to listening to player feedback? What are the odds they change their decision to make the Ikoria battle pass terrible compared to the Theros pass?
They do have a history of "making X decision --> r/magicArena cries --> changing X" ,
But in the other hand, WOTC are very at your face with their thirst, so you never know.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for my opponent who tried to have some honest Magic with mono white life gain ..
But then there's me, with Turbo fog self mill Jace 🤐.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm at the point where I'm just conceding to turn 1 temple of mystery. I care more about my sanity than rank.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Historic Brawl is by far the most fun format. Tons of different decks to play and I haven't played against the same deck twice.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i did see a different deck each round, but still the usual nico bolas, 5c niv, teferi, and torbran
Yeah for me, it was 50% niv, but to be fair I was running just a standard brawl deck w no historic cards cuz I gotta save those wild cards for the new set. Also not gonna bother really with historic until the inevitable field reban.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I met a bunch of new decks. There was the the merfolk lord (Kumetra?), 4 mana Sorin, Gitrog Monster, Heliod. Only ran into Nicol Bolas twice and I think it was the same guy, we split the matches.

I was running a proliferate deck with Shalai for the first few matches, then a Kykar token deck with Divine Visitation

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Iran with the enchantment planeswalker and during my eight matches I haven't seen a single niv deck. Maybe I am just lucky.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I've grown to embrace cat oven, Rakdos version reminds me so much of this old Izzet Pinger deck I used to play casually. Lot of pings and getting value off everything you do.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Net decky basic mono blue flash player in historic was bm'ing this whole game till a wild Maw of Flames came in hot from the GY!
They started roping so hard and the bm is gone😂🤣😂🤣

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Got to love Azorius Control players that take ages to do anything. They act like they are playing in the Mythic Champion, but in reality it's Gold 2.

Edit: Whatever, I think I'm just going to take a break until behemoths.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Got to love Azorius Control players that take ages to do anything. They act like they are playing in the Mythic Champion, but in reality it's Gold 2.
Idk, any type of player does that. It's just as infuriating when RDW players are like... wait, I can't just hit face with everything? uhh, let me take 30 minutes to do some basic math instead of hitting attack all.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to do another cube sealed because...well, I was bored. Went 5-0 with UW and a Dream Trawler and Harmonious Archon. And I have now cast Finale of Glory for X=10.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Real player drafts coming this week to Arena, damn. A bit silly they are trying to sell BO1 real player draft as "premium to charge more gold/gems but that is to be expected from Wotc.

Also, mobile client again confirmes for this year.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All drafts having a Gold pay-in is nice, though it's bit hefty. The new drafts look like they could be more efficient at converting Gold to Gems but it might just be designed to seem that way and I'm falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So what's going to be remastered about Amonkhet? All those cards existed in Arena at some point but I'm guessing they won't go the whole hog just for Historic, and might settle for a bumper Anthology-like collection of the most interesting/powerful cards from that block.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
So what's going to be remastered about Amonkhet? All those cards existed in Arena at some point but I'm guessing they won't go the whole hog just for Historic, and might settle for a bumper Anthology-like collection of the most interesting/powerful cards from that block.
Remastered sets are basically paired down versions of blocks into a single set for the purposes of making limited more focused while also hitting all of the constructed staples that need the reprint. Tempest Remastered is the only block they've remastered so far, so you can use that as a guideline to get an idea of what sorts of design decisions they'll make. Here's the original Tempest Block for reference.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Remastered sets are basically paired down versions of blocks into a single set for the purposes of making limited more focused while also hitting all of the constructed staples that need the reprint. Tempest Remastered is the only block they've remastered so far, so you can use that as a guideline to get an idea of what sorts of design decisions they'll make. Here's the original Tempest Block for reference.

Ah I see, so they still need to keep in enough of the chaff to make a potential Historic Amonkhet draft viable. That makes sense.

Oct 28, 2017
Ah I see, so they still need to keep in enough of the chaff to make a potential Historic Amonkhet draft viable. That makes sense.

Yeah it should feel like a slightly more streamlined Amonkhet block draft. I didn't play Tempest Remastered but it sounds like a great idea and I'm excited for it. They can go back and fix at least some missteps in the drafting experience for a block.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
So if you pay a mutation cost and your opponent kills your creature that's in play before the mutation resolve, the card that you paid it mutation cost will be dropped as a creature into play normally,

In other words, wait for the mutation to resolve before casting your removal.

Oct 25, 2017
So if you pay a mutation cost and your opponent kills your creature that's in play before the mutation resolve, the card that you paid it mutation cost will be dropped as a creature into play normally,

In other words, wait for the mutation to resolve before casting your removal.

But if you wait, they'll get the mutate trigger. You'll have to decide which is more important.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The keyword/ability icon overhaul is so ugly. We're gaining clarity, sure, but at what cost. I can't believe the visual identity Arena is going for is gray boxes.

Jun 22, 2019
I saved 3 quests for the new Mastery, then found out you get 3 new quests anyway after the update.
I could have had an extra booster from the last Mastery (and a couple card styles, but that I don't care about). Oh well.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Well I won my first round in Bo3 human draft. Ended up with 5 rares out of the draft, passed on 1 rare. It's a G/W human/ monster mix.

Edit- ended up going 3-0! The last round I was 1-1 and right before the game crashed, relog and face a que. Come back to see I received a 6 land hand... my opponent never got more than 2, bad way to win but I'll take it.

Last edited:

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, my first sealed pool is not good. I opened 3 different tri color enchantments (meh) and General Kudro basically. So I'm just playing value mutate creatures, some humans, and removal. *shrug* I'm 4-2 now so I'm happy.