• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I have tried drafting in multiple games and they all rely on having knowledge about everything that is the game in question, all the cards, all the values, all the effects, calculate constantly which cards are worth taking and which are not cause it's not like you can build towards a theme in drafting, everything is just random. I have tried drafting and it's rare I ever go above 1 victory, so it's a extreme loosing proposition cause in the end I'll just have more worthless cards I thought was good and i have spent money that could have gone towards boosters instead that could just give me some cards that, by chance, are the actual good ones instead of based on my shitty decisions.

Also, it's funny, out of all those cards suggested I only got Saproling Migration and 2 Law Rune Enforcers. People never seem to suggest any of the cards included in those theme decks the game gives you. And when you say "budget" red, I've tried looking up "budget" decks and when putting them into the game, they suddenly asked for 40 common wildcards or another wild bunch that I just don't have anymore.

For passable budget decks, I recommend Red-Green / Green-Black. I'm fairly sure you get 4 Elves and some Druid of the Cowl for ramp. For red green, you also have some dinos (the 5 mana 5/5 with haste is really nice on turn 3, rekindling Phoenix and Carnage Tyrant etc) + burn (shocks / lightning strike). Can't remember what black gets in the precons, but I think theres a Doom Whisperer (6/6 for 5 mana that can surveil), but the advantage over red is Murders and Chupacabra.

These aren't the best decks, but their best draws are pretty good, and they can punish people who stumble and can't cast spells early.

The precon merfolk deck and vampire deck are fairly good if you prefer making tokens to ramping

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
For passable budget decks, I recommend Red-Green / Green-Black. I'm fairly sure you get 4 Elves and some Druid of the Cowl for ramp. For red green, you also have some dinos (the 5 mana 5/5 with haste is really nice on turn 3, rekindling Phoenix and Carnage Tyrant etc) + burn (shocks / lightning strike). Can't remember what black gets in the precons, but I think theres a Doom Whisperer (6/6 for 5 mana that can surveil), but the advantage over red is Murders and Chupacabra.

These aren't the best decks, but their best draws are pretty good, and they can punish people who stumble and can't cast spells early.

The precon merfolk deck and vampire deck are fairly good if you prefer making tokens to ramping

Yeah merfolk is pretty good early on and you can improve it as you go. There are variations of mono blue that are somewhat viable as well.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Just got to Gold 4 in limited =). First time I hit Gold (granted I haven't been drafting much). It didn't take too long either, I had 2 7-x drafts with a 1-3 in between.

Got fairly lucky though, I flooded out the last 2 games and somehow still won because my opponent had 0 removal. How else would you explain winning when the first card I casted was Mowu on turn 4. I then casted New Horizons (for the +1/+1 counter) then courage in crisis to grow Mowu further. Wanderer's Strike took out their biggest blocker and grew Mowu even bigger. I casted 4 spells the whole game (3 of which were in my starting hand), and drew lands for all the rest.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I had some luck, managed to beat out a player that had two treesprout dryad out there, while I had one. We were about evenly matched in everything else. When I thought he was going to beat me, I did a desperate attack but he had to block so much he missed just enough attackers.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For the past week I've been banging my head against Diamond T3. I just can't make any progress at all. Most of the time I just fall all the way back to T4 and I end up right back where I started in T3. I'm playing like a good two hours each day. So, I say fuck it, I'm not going to play for a few days. I come back day and I go from T3 to T2 in one smooth run.

Sometimes it's good to take a break.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Had a great game last night playing Bant Ramp'n'Steal against RDW. Final game of a Bo3, after losing game 1 to Tamiyo +1 missing 3 times then resolving a medium sized Krasis and Nissa in game 2. Stabilized at 4 life after Tamiyo finally hit something for me instead of just sending several lands and mana dorks to the graveyard, resolved a Krasis for like 3 life, then gradually stole all of their creatures while holding up Negate for anything too scary. Probably my favorite thing was taking 4 from a Risk Factor near the end, then finally cashing in the Negate to counter the jump-start cast and leave them with nothing in hand.

Hopefully the Mythic Championship doesn't just become Teferi: the Espering this weekend, since that will be super boring to watch. Rooting for the Gruul and Grixis decks to beat them down.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
en_uJKEVpS0xB.png

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
New Ravnica event! What's everyone playing?

I'm playing Rakdos Calvacade of Calamity, mainly because I was building it yesterday and realised I only needed to swap out lightning strikes and Ghitu Lavarunner to make it legal for the event. Been surprisingly good so far, 5-2 or thereabouts. Been mostly facing Esper and Bant control decks, just like standard lol.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

I'm playing Rakdos Calvacade of Calamity, mainly because I was building it yesterday and realised I only needed to swap out lightning strikes and Ghitu Lavarunner to make it legal for the event. Been surprisingly good so far, 5-2 or thereabouts. Been mostly facing Esper and Bant control decks, just like standard lol.

I just retuned my feather/arcanist/tenth district legionaires deck. It's not ideal but good enough to be getting wins.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Orzhov Aristocrats, there's plenty of token generators and death effects in BW, or both in Liliana's case. Lifegain gets pretty crazy (especially with Revival//Revenge and Sorin) so as long as I can dodge Cry of the Carnarium it usually goes fine.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I have managed to claw my way to Platinum using just my green Saproling deck.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The event this week wasn't bad. I just went with Feather. I did splash in some black because Dreadhorde Butcher is pretty good. Only dropped a few games near the end, but overall it was quick.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Blew through the Ravnica event with Feather.

I should get to Constructed Platinum to get the card style reward for the season, but I'm honestly a bit burned out on the current meta. I'm done with Red Deck Wins and I'm done with Esper Control. I don't particularly enjoy playing against Simic / Bant Nissa Ramp (much too often boils down to "Can they get Nissa down?") and Command the Dreadhorde either. I'm looking forward to rotation later this year, when RDW loses almost all of their burn and Creatures, Esper loses big Teferi, three-color decks in general slow down due to losing the untapped Ixalan / Dominaria dual Lands, and Command the Dreadhorde loses the Explore package.

Also starting to think small Teferi was a mistake. It just does too much for too low a cost. Shutting down all Instant-speed interaction is backbreaking, the -3 having card draw stapled onto it and also hitting Artifacts and Enchantments (you know, just in case any deck starts playing those) pushes it over the top, the +1 can enable massive blowouts with Instant-speed board-wipes, and all that together for just 3 CMC with splashable color requirements strikes me as tipping right over the line between 'very efficient' and 'potentially game-warping'.

Maybe I just need a break from Arena, at least until M20 is out.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I've been drafting a lot recently cos I think its a pretty good way to build up my collection, but it sure can get stressful at times, so I only do one every 3 or 4 days when the set I want is in Ranked. The draft was already pretty worth it just from the rare drafting. No Mythics, but Stomping Grounds, Gruul Spellbreaker, Absorb and Gutterbones (plus a random Font of Agonies). I thought I had a nice curve of creatures and pump spells, but mana issues made me start 0-1 and 3-2. Managed to claw to 7-2 despite more mana issues (kept getting stuck on 3-4 lands for multiple turns and games despite running 17 lands)

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
+110k viewers on Twitch for the Mythic Championship III. Those are some good numbers.

It was a really good final too.

Last edited:

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
+110k viewers on Twitch for the Mythic Championship III. Those are some good numbers.

It was a really good final too.
They cheat the numbers by embedding it on Curse. The number of actual viewers was probably half that at most.

The games were good though, Nexus is much better to watch than play against.

Abrupt ending to the show though. Don't know why they don't let the casters sum up the weekend or at least the final game more.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care that the deck is more fun to watch (it absolutely is more fun to watch than play against because playing against it is awful, almost anything would be better-- though I admit the match was entertaining) , I can't wait till Nexus is gone from Standard. Fuck that card. It a travesty of design that it was even printed in this form.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Ranked in this game is so frustrating. I'm in Gold now and there is less deck variety than Hearthstone despite a much larger card pool. I'm just trying to win 4 games a day to get the 550 gold. It can take 2 hours...

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, Mnemonic Betrayal knew I wasn't getting any more GNA packs and snuck into my free mythics to annoy me one last time. Now I got a set of a meme card for commander. Ah well! Free cards is free cards.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
So my ranked meta right now seems to just be Esper decks, of both the Hero and Control varieties. Is there anything I can play to abuse this and dumpster them for easy ranks? I have been playing Bant Mass Manipulation and doing alright, but I feel like I'm always balancing on the knife's edge to go 2-1 despite my overall match record. (Turns out holding up counter magic isn't that bad when you're up against Teferis, you just have to have it for turn 3.)

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I got Dovin, Ral and Aurelia for my 3 Mythics. None of them are new, but the second Aurelia would definitely be useful if I ever build a Boros deck. I really want Vannifar though, seems like an awesome build around.

Ranked in this game is so frustrating. I'm in Gold now and there is less deck variety than Hearthstone despite a much larger card pool. I'm just trying to win 4 games a day to get the 550 gold. It can take 2 hours...

I mostly play in the casual play queue when ranked is not going well. I could play the standard meta decks, but they are mostly rather boring, I'll take fun playing weird stuff like lumbering battlement over an additional pack for getting to gold

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Whats the best way to ramp mana , especially in black? I have 3 Finale Of Eternity and am trying to brew a deck based on it.

3 Finale of Eternity (WAR) 91
22 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
3 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
2 Open the Graves (M19) 112
3 Death Baron (M19) 90
3 Lazotep Reaver (WAR) 96
2 Josu Vess, Lich Knight (DAR) 95
2 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
2 Reassembling Skeleton (M19) 116
2 God-Eternal Bontu (WAR) 92
2 Bond of Revival (WAR) 80
1 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
2 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
3 Eternal Taskmaster (WAR) 90
2 Cabal Stronghold (DAR) 238
2 Gutterbones (RNA) 76
2 Gravewaker (M19) 293

It works passably well, but most games I'm winning by using the Finales to take out 3 blockers (especially good against Explore creatures) and not by casting it for X=10

Feb 16, 2018
black doesn't have much ramp

maybe you can get lucky with cabal stronghold or some 3 mana artifacts (chromatic lantern, lockets) or a flipped treasure map

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess B pirates have access to treasure for pseudo ramp. Dire fleet hoarder, revel in riches, pitiless plunderer - but if you really want ramp go golgari for mana dorks.