• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After years of secrecy, Magic Leap has finally revealed their product:

H6VkgW8.png

https://www.magicleap.com/

nyp8ecZ.jpg

A bit disconcerting that even in their announcement, all the images of the product are photoshopped.

Supposedly (I say supposedly because they still haven't given real time video demos) the big difference between this and other half-baked AR stuff like hololens is that this actually occludes real life with AR objects. That is to say, if you are displaying a 3D model that is supposed to be in your living room and your table is in between you and the model, the bits of the model that are behind the table and thus hidden from your view are not rendered, making the object appear anchored in the real world, as opposed to things like this:

xmkAUTn.png

Rather, it is supposed to occlude, like this:

DJgWkxf.gif

No hard specs given, nor price, but a 2018 launch date is indicated on the website.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Is their front page with the astronaut an Astroneer screen ?

PS : are you sure that hololens isn't able to hide AR objects when its behind a real one ? I thought it had some IR sensors just for this purpose...

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean, it's definitely interesting, but I can't say I wasn't expecting this very thing after they've been hinting at it for like...years.

I'll need to see it in action in the form of a demo video or something.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I refuse to believe anything from this company. Whole thing stank of vapor ware for years. This doesn't really change that.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Next year? Finally. Want to see how this compares to Hololens (which is already impressive imo)

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading someone's impressions on twitter that the viewing space is about the size of a VHS tape held in front of you with your arms half extended.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I think Augmented Reality goggles still have years to go before the tech actually does what all those simulation videos promise.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Jeez I thought the Hololens looked goofy. These are terribad. Makes Hololens look like prime time.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be extremely impressed if just their AR display works as advertised.

There's been so much smoke & mirrors surrounding this product for years, and they're just continuing with their lies about the performance of the computer component and ignorant use of terms like "real-time computer."

Personally, without the ability to wear my glasses I can't ever even use the thing. And I'm not paying $1200 to get a unit with my prescription... Like I said in the other thread, by tying specific headsets to individuals, you can never demo the unit nor share with your family. You'll never be able to drop into a store and try one if you need corrective lenses. That alone makes me think even the company is not taking the product seriously.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think this is the right direction to go towards mass adoption:

AR glasses that are aware of the objects around them and display accordingly. Can be used as fully immersive VR as an option. But critically, can replace your computer screen for work. All it needs now is an attractive form factor that looks closer to a normal pair of glasses, and eventually just use your cell phone as the processor. As for price, I think people will be willing to pay a lot more if it can perform as a replacement device rather than an additive device. If it can 100% replace your work monitor(s) or TV people will be willing to pay up.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez I thought the Hololens looked goofy. These are terribad. Makes Hololens look like prime time.
The important thing to me isn't looks, but size. Looks can come later.

That said, this ain't shit. I'll gladly eat crow, because I want it to be real, but I don't believe this thing is anywhere near what it's being hyped up to be. And given how long they've been working on it...

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
so, this thing has those black bars at the bottom of its lens like old gen smart watches? I though it's a solved tech problem?
moto360-help-w628.jpg

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read that this is vapourware and actually they are leagues behind Hololens.

One whole internet witch hunt a while ago. Can't remember how to google for it now.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Google and a bunch of others give these guys a billion+ dollars? Jeez, it better not be a disappointment.

Warrk

Nov 8, 2017
I'm rather shocked that they're finally publicly showing anything, even if it's shopped. I really did expect them to remain in stealth mode until they ran out of cash and had their assets picked up by a larger company.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Reading someone's impressions on twitter that the viewing space is about the size of a VHS tape held in front of you with your arms half extended.
Similar to Hololens then? Wasn't the restricted view supposed to be a hard physics-based limitation rather than something more power would overcome in time? So to be expected?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Similar to Hololens then? Wasn't the restricted view supposed to be a hard physics-based limitation rather than something more power would overcome in time? So to be expected?
Yeah the FoV is physically all we can get now and it's not due to the power of the device. This is the biggest issue atm. Though we are getting there!

Oct 25, 2017
Noir York City
I don't trust anything Magic Leap says until I have it in my hands.

Putting a VR studio together with an impressionable Creative Director was impossible because ML would overpromise everything and then fall off the face of the Earth.

Oct 29, 2017
Viewing area better impress.

Hololens is MUCH wider. Is that still being worked on??
Yeah I don't know RollingStone says Magic Leap is much wider that Hololens, but I actually think Hololens FoV is about the same if not slightly bigger than a VHS at half arm length away, so I don't know what to make of it unless RS employs midgets.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't know RollingStone says Magic Leap is much wider that Hololens, but I actually think Hololens FoV is about the same if not slightly bigger than a VHS at half arm length away, so I don't know what to make of it unless RS employs midgets.

It felt bigger to me. I don't know if there are many prototypes or not, but this year in July I got to try a unit and it felt definitelly larger than that VHS description.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a mofukin cd player
cd-walkman.jpg

2u9mxlc.jpg

Looks like a gadget from the 90s, maybe in another 20 years the technology will finally be there.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Finally, been waiting years for this. Not really hot on that FOV at the moment, but we'll need to see what happens over the next few months with spec announcements.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I was super excited reading the Glixel article, until I got to the part about the VHS sized FOV and then I got bummed out. Hopefully it's a problem that can be solved, given enough time and manpower.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Magic Leap One produces lightfield objects in intricate detail, all on a highly responsive, self-contained wearable.

Going by that thing on the guy's waist, this is very obviously a lie.

I like how it looks a good deal slimmer and lighter than VR devices at least.

edit: Seems it has the same FOV issue as hololens. I guess that shit is here to stay, unless these visors get truly massive screens one day.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the FOV is quite a bit larger than HoloLens, I've used that, and it's pretty darn small. And Magic Leap says it'll get bigger in future generations, which is different from HoloLens which is limited by physics (although Microsoft did say they managed to double theirs in internal tests).

One interesting thing to note, the Magic Leap actually has two computers in it - one in the glasses themselves that uses AI training to recognize depth and surfaces and tracking and stuff, basically processes data from all the sensors, and the computer on your waist that does everything else (runs the actual apps).

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't there been some huge controversies out of the Magic Leap team recently? Anyway, this doesn't look like a real product...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't there been some huge controversies out of the Magic Leap team recently? Anyway, this doesn't look like a real product...
The controversies were "it's not real", "it won't be as good as people think", and "it's gonna be a giant headset with a backpack, it's not anywhere near ready for Magic Leap One" :)

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
A very good read on the core technology

http://www.imaginativeuniversal.com/blog/2015/10/18/how-hololens-displays-work/

It explains why the FoV problem might never go away

An important aspect of these two technologies is that they both involve a limited field of view based on the ways we are bouncing and bending light in order to extract it from the waveguides. As Oliver Kreylos has eloquently pointed out, "the current FoV is a physical (or, rather, optical) limitation instead of a performance one." In other words, any augmented reality head mounted display (HMD) or near eye display (NED) is going to suffer from a small field of view when compared to virtual reality devices. This is equally true of the currently announced devices like HoloLens and Magic Leap, the currently available AR devices like those by Vuzix and DigiLens, and the expected but unannounced devices from Google, Facebook and Amazon. Let's call this the keyhole problem (KP).

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally. Magic Leap had bailed on all public showings of their tech for the last few years I was starting to think they were never going to release anything, I look forward to trying it out.

How hard is it to work with fashion companies though. Seriously when it comes to wearable tech it has to fit into fashion, not technology.

Last edited: