• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
A new (old) Net Yaroze title for PlayStation!

it's a randomly generated gauntlet style game (real-time rogue-like, if you must)

Originally created to beta state in 1998, then shelved/cancelled. Finished in 2020 by another developer under direction of the original developers.

interview/history
http://netyaroze-europe.com/Media/Magic-Castle

download bin/cue
https://archive.org/details/magic-castle-2020-23-dec

manual
https://archive.org/details/mcmanual/

Apparently the end is after level 20.

Lots of Easter Eggs.

Note: works on PS2 from hard power off; may not work from standby.

Last edited:

Umdlye

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played a Net Yaroze game before, this looks neat. Time to dust off the CD burner :)

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Oh awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

I just burned a copy but it hangs after the Start screen for me. I can pick language and version but get no further. I'll try again.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Trying some more and the beta works but nothing else. Anyone else trying this on real hardware? I'm using a chipped PS2 that often plays burned PS1 games.

OP
OP
gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I've been playing under emulation, Beetle PSX HW, and all options work.

Will try burning a copy, testing on PS2slim.

edit1: dock I burned a copy with Alcohol 120% (rectify sub-channel data ON) and powered-up my chipped PS2slim holding L1 to force PS1 disc detection: the game booted up fine. at the initial menu screen I press circle without changing any options and the game loaded fine.

edit2: with subsequent launches of this disc I'm getting a black screen after pressing circle.

edit3: so full version won't load from PS2 being in standby. it will work from powering off your PS2 at the wall. How odd!? I've reported this bug.

Last edited:

OnePointZero

Oct 27, 2017
I've alredy completed runs with the archer and the wizard. On to the other two characters! Not many people seem to be playing it, and there's some secrets that i'd like to know (such as where is the Black Golem, or the Dark Rat?).

I'm so surprised by the level of polish of this Net Yaroze release, it definitely has the seeds for a much more ambitious, higher budget game in there.

OP
OP
gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I haven't seen either of those, sorry!

Easter Eggs I've found... previously posted elsewhere.

Art Gallery
(browse the disc with your PC for instructions)

QR Code
(same)

Texture Viewer
Go to the options menu, select Game Options, then highlight the Tag Style option and press SELECT. Detailed help is given. Use Left/Right/Cross to navigate.

Sound Test
Go to the options menu, select Sound Options, then highlight the BGM or SFX option and press SELECT. Use Left/Right/Circle/Cross to navigate.