• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll are so devoid of any empathy its gross. We can still keep some shred of compassion for this person even if they didn't have the brains to survive / listen to science. We can hold him accountable and have empathy too. This was a human life.

I have zero empathy or sympathy for people that spread and support shit that kill me and mines. This means literally all republicans. I'll save it for people that can't help themselves.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
trump-death-snl.gif

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Feel slightly bad for the kids but maybe this will wake up his family and social circle about the reality of this virus.

Nah, they'll probably dive even deeper into alt right conspiracies how this is all the libs, gays, and blacks fault.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I feel bad for his kids. But I can't feel too sorry knowing one of his last posts was him surrounding himself with WW2 veterans. Who knows who he could have spread it to. SMH people.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I do feel bad for his kids, but he basically played with fire and to the disdain of everyone else too. He should have been more careful, considerate and thoughtful of others.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Ya'll are so devoid of any empathy its gross. We can still keep some shred of compassion for this person even if they didn't have the brains to survive / listen to science. We can hold him accountable and have empathy too. This was a human life.
He had power and a platform, and he chose to use it to make the world worse. He didn't only destroy his own life with his stupidity, he risked the lives of others.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I afford them the same sympathy they give to victims of gun violence. Which is basically zero.

I have zero empathy or sympathy for people that spread and support shit that kill me and mines. This means literally all republicans. I'll save it for people that can't help themselves.

He had power and a platform, and he chose to use it to make the world worse. He didn't only destroy his own life with his stupidity, he risked the lives of others.

I'm with Illhan. Stupidity is unavoidable even in a society that has instant access to truth such as ours. You still need to be able to sort fact from fiction, and apparently, many many people cannot do that, for so many frustrating reasons (I can get into what I think they are if you ask, but it's many...). It cannot be solved, it is probably one of our inherent human flaws that we need to mitigate.

But again. Still a human. Flaws and all, I don't think every moron has vicious intent.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming he was a moron is being charitable.

I doubt half these anti-mask politicians believe the shit they spout. They simply are appealing to their base. They aren't dumb, they just covet power.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
But again. Still a human. Flaws and all, I don't think every moron has vicious intent.

Collectively, how much has this cost the US in terms of human life? When you say vicious intent, I think that's a deflection of the harm and destruction of human life that a political amoral agenda has cost America.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

After the past few months of seeing this shit hit very close to me, I'm done pretending to care for all the motherfuckers who spread it willingly.
Sad for the kids, in the sense that they were born to a subhuman piece of shit.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Collectively, how much has this cost the US in terms of human life? When you say vicious intent, I think that's a deflection of the harm and destruction of human life that a political amoral agenda has cost America.

Same type of shit people say to excuse friends and family. Assholes don't need vicious intent to cause harm, and acting like that's any type of excuse for the damage they do is an insult to those impacted by it.

It's orders of magnitude worse for an elected politician.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017

I think vicious intent wasn't the right phrasing then, because Representative Letlow definitely was complicit in helping spread the thing that killed him. I don't think it's a straight, unbroken line from Luke Letlow the person to his conclusions about anti-science, is another way to convey what I meant.

I think the fact this pandemic is politicized at all is what lead us down this path, that somehow science can be "considered" as just a single point of view instead of objectively is a huge problem. The fact he was a representative representing views such as this to constituents that believe similarly is alarming and shows society is breaking down to the point where it's possible vaccines and masks are questioned.

Young Magus

Oct 25, 2017
So
you mean to tell me than ol boy:
  1. Had maskless rallies
  2. Was callin it a hoax
  3. Havin other folks buyin into the conspiracy
only to get capped by it?

That being said: I do offer my sympathy to the family

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, this COVID hoax sure has a way of targeting people who don't entertain fake liberal health precautions.

Oct 31, 2017
Won't someone please think of the idiots perpetuating this deadly virus that has already killed more than 300,000 U.S. citizens in the most deadly year in American history?????

Feel sorry for the kids. Zero sympathy for people like this guy. Die by the sword.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Won't someone please think of the idiots perpetuating this deadly virus that has already killed more than 300,000 U.S. citizens in the most deadly year in American history?????

Feel sorry for the kids. Zero sympathy for people like this guy. Die by the sword.

Is this a topic open for discussion with you, or are you going to avoid dialogue by no-quote replying to my point of view instead?

For example, do you have any empathy to people that fall victim to cults? Anti-science strikes me as something similar.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Oh well
Feel bad for his kids but the man ignored all the risks of covid, denied it and even held functions to promote the denial
Surprised he didn't take the vaccine sooner since a lot of the government is jumping the line

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Natural selection, survival of the fittest, the usual evolution business.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
do you have empathy for the cult leaders?

I think there's an explanation for what they became, though an explanation is not an excuse for behavior, they remain accountable for their actions no matter how consciously/unconsciously they approached their, lets say notoriety.

However, the parts of the explanation, like trauma and abuse, that were inflicted upon them, I can find some empathy for. People have terrible things happen to them, and if left untended, can sometimes be the root cause of some really awful shit they grow into.

Do you consider Luke Letlow's behavior to be akin to a cult leader? Or are you more meaning that the "ideals" or "truth" he perpetuates is believed heavily enough to reach that special kind of cult hive mind thinking?

Natural selection, survival of the fittest, the usual evolution business.

This is true to an extent, but do we really want to leave people behind? Haven't we as people left that heartlessness behind, hopefully?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's an explanation for what they became, though an explanation is not an excuse for behavior, they remain accountable for their actions no matter how consciously/unconsciously they approached their, lets say notoriety.

However, the parts of the explanation, like trauma and abuse, that were inflicted upon them, I can find some empathy for. People have terrible things happen to them, and if left untended, can sometimes be the root cause of some really awful shit they grow into.

Do you consider Luke Letlow's behavior to be akin to a cult leader? Or are you more meaning that the "ideals" or "truth" he perpetuates is believed heavily enough to reach that special kind of cult hive mind thinking?

Absolutely I do. Because I 100% believe he knows better. That applies to everyone in the GOP leadership. Look at some of the clips of him speaking on it in this thread. He very clearly knows the dangers, knows the risks being posed to citizens, yet he still harps on about this "freedom" bullshit when it comes to masks. He still holds maskless rallies to keep the crazed and radical parts of his base energized (and spreading the virus). He's not some poor schlub who just went into the wrong Facebook page or had YouTube 's algorithm throw some crazy conspiracy videos his way, he's something worse, he's a grifter who uses his position and influence to exploit the poor schlubs. He and the rest of the GOP know exactly what they are doing. This guy was mealy mouth coward who knew how dangerous Covid19 was but towed the party line because he wanted to keep his bread buttered and his pockets right. And now he's dead as a direct fucking result. Fuck him.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Not everyone who spreads lies, takes advantage of people & purposely ignores reality is some victim of trauma or a troubled childhood, nor are people from troubled backgrounds destined to be manipulators with zero concern for others. And the GOP in general, their deference to a man a significant portion of their constituents cast as god or god-sent, repeating his deliberate & provable lies for the sake of self-advancement, self-preservation or both within their sect is in fact very much the behavior of someone in the upper echelons of a cult.

Last edited:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
GOP will always sweep the reasons why these things happen, the extremely obvious and evident reasons - just like with Sandy Hook, just like with Herman Caine, just like with this guy - because these are things that could be avoided or at least mitigated to some extent. Gun control could lessen shootings, but we can't talk about it because it's "politicizing" tragedy. This guy had covid, ran up in a school maskless, had maskless rallied etc, but we can't point out the fact that this could have been avoidable had he just done the right thing.

I do feel empathy that he died. I can understand wanting the economy open. We ALL do. But you can try to wear a mask and do the small things so we can get things to where we need to be. I want America is succeed more than anyone. But this anti science ridiculous bullshit will be the reason we are usurped as #1.

People make mistakes and I can understand being some fatigue. But when an entire political party, has made life saving measures blasphemous to them and their followers - man, at some point, you reap what you sow. I do feel bad though. His kids don't deserve it. Everyone just needs to stop thinking they're invincible and try to do the right thing as much as possible.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
This is true to an extent, but do we really want to leave people behind? Haven't we as people left that heartlessness behind, hopefully?
You can't force people to adjust and change. If people choose to be conservative and not adopt, they leave themselves behind. I feel sorry for them, but it is what it is.

Oct 25, 2017
He had dangerous beliefs and his thirst for victory didn't help. Promoted himself as someone who always wore a mask, yet his twitter timeline is filled with pictures of him maskless next to various strangers. One of them undoubtedly gave him this and who knows if he then gave it to others.

I mean yeah it sucks for his kids and as a father myself I could think about that more and get choked up, but as someone else mentioned they will be fine but poor people who suffer the most as a result of his ignorance will not be so lucky.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be hard on the kids emotionally but I truly think this would be a case where they're gonna be better off long term without an idiot for a father.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
You can't force people to adjust and change. If people choose to be conservative and not adopt, they leave themselves behind. I feel sorry for them, but it is what it is.
This. If the subject we were discussing was climate change would "we can't leave people behind" still be relevant? We have to wait until every conservative is suddenly willing to acknowledge the wealth of accepted science before we actually start the work necessary to fix the climate crisis & hold the people who brought us to this brink accountable? That's bullshit. There are people who earn being left behind because they invest in backwards beliefs and they don't get to set the pace for the rest of the human race particularly when their regressive ideals have zero value and only exist to harm, misinform & disenfranchise. Our progress isn't their torture no matter how much they want to yell & scream to the contrary.

Oct 31, 2017
Is this a topic open for discussion with you, or are you going to avoid dialogue by no-quote replying to my point of view instead?

For example, do you have any empathy to people that fall victim to cults? Anti-science strikes me as something similar.
I actually do have some level of sympathy actually, as someone who was in a serious emotionally, psychologically (and though not commonly or super seriously physically) abusive relationship with someone who could probably be classified as a sufferer of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. So yes, I can understand the forces.

Also I come from the heart of Appalachia and I virtually disown everyone I've ever known, so lol.

I still don't sympathize for people who are doing things like this. I sympathize for all the victims of this disease who had no true control over the outcome of being exposed.

I don't sympathize with fascists. Sorry.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I feel sad for the kids, but I can't imagine a guy having maskless rallies during a pandemic was a good role model for them.

hopefully the lessons learned from this tragedy will save lives.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that I would not have wished him dead, for all the harm he did, but now that he's reaped his own reward, I can't say I feel much for him. I feel far more for his family, true victims.

People cannot escape judgment for having explanations for horrible behavior...ultimately, none of us choose our genetic code or manner of upbringing. But refusing to lay any blame toward anyone is not how society does or ought to work. He committed evil acts, and my ability to empathize with his death is summarily decreased.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the death of one of their own will be a wake up call for the GO-

Pfffhaha sorry I couldn't finish that.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The possibility that you yourself might get die from your risky anti-mask behavior is almost entirely beside the point once you consider the risk that you could unknowingly pose to others if you're infected with COVID. That that fear of harming others doesn't change behavior pushes anti-mask behavior firmly into indefensible territory in my book.

I understand that I may come across as a jerk, but I've become a bit of a hardliner on this issue, given how relatively easy it's been to adapt to wearing a mask for most people. Anyone who is travelling unnecessarily or carelessly interacting with strangers without a mask during this pandemic deserves to have it on their conscience and frankly at the forefront of their minds that they could literally be causing others to die. Given the nature of the virus, this is a fact, and pretty indefensible morally.

I don't understand why this gets downplayed just to make people that are willingly endangering the rest of us feel less guilty.

These people are operating as sociopaths and are not being good members of society. They are actively endangering others. As such, it's difficult for me to do anything but breathe a sigh of relief when they die.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I will say that I would not have wished him dead, for all the harm he did, but now that he's reaped his own reward, I can't say I feel much for him. I feel far more for his family, true victims.

People cannot escape judgment for having explanations for horrible behavior...ultimately, none of us choose our genetic code or manner of upbringing. But refusing to lay any blame toward anyone is not how society does or ought to work. He committed evil acts, and my ability to empathize with his death is summarily decreased.
agreed.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
To be fair, none of what he said here was crazy. Mask mandate would be hard to enforce. We already had idiot sheriffs refuse to enforce it. Also, cops are not the answer here. Where I live, NYC, the notorious NYPD most harassed people of color in the beginning.

Its fucked up that not denying reality about a pandemic and supporting the absolute minimum health guidelines is considered sane in America.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

I don't feel bad when a member of a dangerous death cult dies from COVID.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He held maskless rallies during a global pandemic. He's likely responsible for the infections of numerous individuals.

Goodbye

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
So what's the theory on why Covid is so much harder on some people than others? Just unlucky genetics?

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what's the theory on why Covid is so much harder on some people than others? Just unlucky genetics?

it causes quite a few issues with your respiratory and circulatory system. A perfectly healthy young adult can be wiped out by the virus quite easily because of all the complications. The virus itself won't kill you, it's the effects of it that will.