• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Lack of option in games made me dual axis. I can control anything now, though a part of me still loves the inverted option, especually if we are talking about a vacuum.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Got the game today and played a bit of it the graphic is really good and the game is oozing with charm...however;
  • The game has garbage accessibly option,
  • Terrible sound mixing as the music is too quiet and you can't adjust the volume for it,
  • Not being able to remap the buttons layout,
  • The map design is horrible compare to Luigi Mansion 1 and it doesn't even tell you what gem you have collected unless you're on that floor,
  • I don't understand why I can't use the - button to pull up the map, it's not even being used for anything,
  • Pressing L and R for the darkstobe light is a pain as sometime it doesn't register,
  • I don't understand why you can't save the game whenever you want, I find it stupid that the game tells the player that the only way to save the game is go through the door but wait at least 10 second otherwise it won't save,
  • I hate gooey Luigi, it's just so clunky having to use both of them at the same time, Luigi Mansion did not need two player mode,
  • But most of all I hate the slam move, it completely ruins the flow of the game and is a terrible addition to Luigi mansion and just makes combat so boring and unrewarding, it should have been an option,
  • The game does a bad job in teaching move to the players, I didn't know that you could use the plunger move on the boss as the game didn't exactly make it clear,
All in all, I am enjoying the game, despite combat being so unsatisfying and unrewarding, and while so far it's a major improvement over Luigi Mansion 2: Dark Moon. The first game is still the superior game.

Nah, Retro Studio is still my friend as they made Donkey Kong Country Return and Tropical Freeze.

Man I really want a new Donkey Kong Country game.

It's strange that he doesn't call for Peach also. 🤔

Either way, I still prefer Luigi humming in the first game.

Yeah I noticed that as well, in the scene where you rescue
Egad. And Luigi says something like.. What about Mario. And I'm like, dude, what about the toad family and Peach my guy?

Is there a way to disable the map on the top right? I'd love if it was dynamic and only appears when I press a button or something.

DemonFox

Oct 29, 2017
Loving the game so far. Really impressed with how charming it is. Also the first time I'm actually stuck. Anyone got a small hint for the first room in b2?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Reached floor 7 after five hours. Easily better than Dark Moon and if it keeps, will surpass the original for me.

and yes, it's stunning. Love the boo theme too.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Those cracks in the walls that you can look through, anything to it or just that?

Also on floor 5, there's a secret door, you can see it when you walk past it, how to get it in? Probably a backtracking thing, but still, can't hurt to ask.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Just played through the first hour or so. Had me grinning the entire time. It's just delightful. The animation work is incredible, so clearly a labour of love.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
To the people finding hard to understand why we prefer inverted y axis:

Because is the most natural way to look/Aim on a 3D space. Imagine your head being a control stick/camera attached to a pole. To aim downward yo tilt the stick/camera forward and to aim upward you tilt the stick/camera backward.

Nf0vI_d.jpg

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Have to admit the actual gameplay and controls are average at best. Definitely feels like the charm, atmosphere and visuals carries the bulk of the game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Once you get the controls down (don't turn, horizontal only, use the bumpers for the plunger + flashlights) this is easily the best game in the series. It's shocking how good it is, really.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Those cracks in the walls that you can look through, anything to it or just that?

Also on floor 5, there's a secret door, you can see it when you walk past it, how to get it in? Probably a backtracking thing, but still, can't hurt to ask.

they are showing you hints of secret areas you can access if you're clever enough to figure out how to get there.

the secret door on 5F is
revealed when you plunger the vending machine

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Pre ordered from target a while ago and they just shipped it says I won't get it till next week. This is why we can't lose GameStop!

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I started playing the game last night....

AND DAMMIT I WANNA PLAY MORE OF IT NOW.

-The animation is Disney/Pixar level here. No really I fucking mean it, this is easily the most charming and expressive animation ever put into a Nintendo game. Next Level Games literally lives up to their name here.
-The Polterpup is one of the cutest goddamn dogs ever put in a video game. Actually, he's one of the cutest dogs in any medium. I adore him so much and I hope we see him more in the bigger Mario universe (Smash, Mario Kart, official Super Mario games, that kind of stuff).
-What little I played of the first section is really fun. I really enjoy the new ghost hunting mechanics involving you swinging the ghost back and forth on the ground. Brings something new to the table.
-Aiming with the right stick actually takes some getting used to. I'm so used to Dark Moon's gameplay that this feels off. Nothing wrong with it imo, I just need to get used to it.

Overall, it's absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to play more.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo I'm going to need DLC for this game that lets you play as Wario where your sole aim is to collect as much treasure and money as possible.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game!

It already affirms that Mario is a huge douche and won't help out the toads with a single piece of luggage

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
they are showing you hints of secret areas you can access if you're clever enough to figure out how to get there.

the secret door on 5F is
revealed when you plunger the vending machine

Nice! Yeah I'm making it a habit to try everything in a room.

Really enjoying the game, and as reviews said it's very charming for sure. I wish I had bought Luigi's Mansion 2 back when I still had a 3DS.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
I turned off E. Gadd hints in the menu, so why is he still telling me to grab the key in 3F every five seconds? Is there a way to permanently turn this old fool off sop I can explore at my leisure?

Great game so far otherwise, but man that's annoying.

EDIT: Grabbing the key made him finally stop talking. Crisis adverted.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The use of music on the floor 5 boss was top tier.

up to floor 7 and that'll do for now, this right now is like LM2 without that games issues that kept me from loving it

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
To the people finding hard to understand why we prefer inverted y axis:

Because is the most natural way to look/Aim on a 3D space. Imagine your head being a control stick/camera attached to a pole. To aim downward yo tilt the stick/camera forward and to aim upward you tilt the stick/camera backward.

Nf0vI_d.jpg

This image is somewhat misleading. It's an accurate representation of the concept for vertical movement, but someone like myself for instance, still use traditional left and right on the stick to move the camera horizontally. In order for this image to work as full justification, I'd have to invert both the vertical and horizontal axis.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man...just finished floor 6 and so far this game has just been utterly spectacular. It's surpassed my expectations. I'm so happy with how good ghost hunting feels, was really worried about that. But you don't lose that much from LM1, and the slam is really satisfying. Especially because most boss fights are designed so well where when you finally get to slam them it's a very FUCK YEAH moment.

Also really surprised how much I dig the music. It's been pretty great so far.

Last edited:

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Came here to see if someone knew how to play inverted, didn't take me long to see others have already discussed this. I've played about an hour, and just can't get used to the lack of being able to invert the y axis.

Probably will never play again unless they patch. Such a bummer. I know inverted is getting more uncommon, but it seems crazy that a game would flat out not support it. Heck, Nintendo is the entire reason I'm broken and have to play inverted to begin with (Snes Star Fox).

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Damn the controls being messed up really hurt this from being such a joy to play. Making it horizontal only means your missing a lot of out of reach treats. I'm going to have to learn to stick with it unless there's a patch though.

Other than that I've just unlocked E Gadd and put it down for the night. I really want to hear the theme to the original Luigis Mansion here and so far I'm disappointed. Humming it in my head to offset it slightly.

Lots to interact with and nice presentation. Just wow at the controls unfortunately.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow erm, those rewards are pretty bad and not really worth going for.

The game just continues to disappoint. 😕

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this, so not much to say just yet, but: I am irrationally delighted at the 5/4 arrangement of the Luigi's Mansion theme in E. Gadd's pocket laboratory.

Still haven't gotten the controls quite the way I want them; I wish there was more configurability. Earlier I was playing handheld, but now that I've switched to detached Joy-Cons I find that I like the idea of imitating Splatoon (horizontal lock on the stick, high gyro sensitivity) but that I instinctively expect gyro to work on the horizontal axis as well, and it's just not there.

Glad I checked the settings, though, so I could turn off hints before I ever received any hints.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Stuck at this knee-high ledge with a key on it on 8F right at the elevator, I'm sure I'm missing something dumb to get me up on it but it really is kind of goofy that Luigi, Super Luigi, the Jumpman's brother is landlocked and can't even just climb up a knee-high ledge.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Once you get the controls down (don't turn, horizontal only, use the bumpers for the plunger + flashlights) this is easily the best game in the series. It's shocking how good it is, really.
Problem is that should have been the default control scheme or a tutorial should have popped up asking if you would like to try the alternative control scheme. Allot of people wont realize to change those two options + use bumpers.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sick to see how Mario treats his room, what a slob

Oct 25, 2017
Something very useful to know: Strobulb is mapped to R as well as A, which means it's actually possible to move the R-stick while charging the flash.

I found myself craving a button mapping like that as soon as I faced my first ghosts, and I'm glad to see that one is already baked in.