• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luigi or Gooigi?

• Luigi

Votes: 256 30.8%
  • Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just starting after getting my super sucker lol, and I've been sucking up trash, money, mice, making a mess out of the rooms lol. I've only been at the starter ghosts, and I'm having a blast with this. Looks amazing in handheld, and 8/10 on my 32" 4k monitor where aliasing is noticeable.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I love the Slam move. You still do some tug and pull, but I really enjoy slamming ghosts and into each other. It gives the game a little more actiony feel. All Luigi's Mansion was was pull back and forth. This adds something a little more that I like.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
As someone who loves Dark Moon despite its faults, seeing so much praise from people who were disappointed with LM makes me think this might just be the game of the year for me. So hyped to get this when I buy a Switch.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
See in the clear the floors multiplayer game thing. What do you do if you get trapped behind a door or in a carpet? I can't escape takes ages to release me.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So I'd been quite enjoying the game but finding everything felt a little basic, the boss on the fourth floor though? Awesome - I actually came close to losing all of my health. (I think it was the fourth floor, hopefully without spoiling anything it was the one that appears on a stage)

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This game is the best. Luigi is my hero.

I never want this game to end, and I'm already getting sad thinking about finishing it lol.

Also for controls I am using omnidirectional with Poltergust turn option on. Don't see how you could play the game without these settings...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
1h in - really liking it so far. The jump from Dark Moon to this is massive.

Let's see how this works out over the next week, since I'm gonna take these games kinda slow and try to collect everything before moving on.

And......Luigi >>>>> Mario obv.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Wish you could turn up the rumble a bit, it's very subtle on the Pro Controller. Surprisingly there's no rumble at all for the vacuum effect, but I suppose that could get tiring.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest I don't understand the difference between having Turn off or on

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
This is the first LM I've played since the original and I am finding myself very frustrated by the controls and the lack of options to change them. I keep trying to control my Poltergust aiming like a twin stick shooter since it's kind of that setup, but not really. Trying to aim to my right and I keep turning in clockwise circles. I have to think very deliberately about where I'm trying to point the vacuum and it takes me out of the game. Not being able to invert the Y-axis controls is even more frustrating. The gyro controls don't help.

In spite of those frustrations, I am definitely enjoying it so far (just got access to 3F).

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to play this tonight! Taking the kids Trick or Treating last night ate up most of the night.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I was reading that the slam move makes combat easier but it's the same type of thing as the extra suck when pressing 'A' at the end of the meter in Dark Moon, no? I was thinking that the tug-and-pull stuff was gone but this is just fine. What's people's problem with this?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, are you able to get all gems as soon as you've completed all rooms in a floor? 'cause I'm missing a lot that I clearly have no clues where they are after having beat the boss of a floor.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was reading that the slam move makes combat easier but it's the same type of thing as the extra suck when pressing 'A' at the end of the meter in Dark Moon, no? I was thinking that the tug-and-pull stuff was gone but this is just fine. What's people's problem with this?
Yeah looking at gameplay videos and before you slam the sucking lasts almost as long as other games for normal mob ghosts, just a tad shorter.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first LM I've played since the original and I am finding myself very frustrated by the controls and the lack of options to change them. I keep trying to control my Poltergust aiming like a twin stick shooter since it's kind of that setup, but not really. Trying to aim to my right and I keep turning in clockwise circles. I have to think very deliberately about where I'm trying to point the vacuum and it takes me out of the game. Not being able to invert the Y-axis controls is even more frustrating. The gyro controls don't help.

In spite of those frustrations, I am definitely enjoying it so far (just got access to 3F).

The omnidirectional vacuum control is my only issue with the game so far. I much preferred the control setup of LM2.

I hate that I can't just control it like a twin stick shooter.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017

The omnidirectional vacuum control is my only issue with the game so far. I much preferred the control setup of LM2.

I hate that I can't just control it like a twin stick shooter.

Thanks to StrappingYoungLance I've just found that switching right stick control in settings from omnidirectional to horizontal only basically makes it a twin stick shooter style setup. You have to use the gyro to aim vertically which is a little fiddly but I think I may stick with this.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This game could have really used some controller mapping options, and the fact that the shoulder button control options are hidden from the player is really dumb. Like I figured out the strobe light and plunger on my own, but I didn't find out about the darklight for pressing L+R until seeing it online. Also this game shows why paddles or extra buttons on the back of the grips are so damn good.

E. Gad is super fucking annoying, on the 3rd floor he was literally popping up and repeating his dumbass dialog every 20 seconds. Thankfully there's an option to turn that junk off, who comes up with this message rate??? Also the
did they really have to show it to the player that the keys were supposed to match the locks? Like this was obvious and it doesn't really matter for this puzzle specifically, but I hope they don't keep doing this later for more difficult puzzles.
The slam sucks, I miss the tug of war :(

Edit: Just realized my post was purely negative. I'm loving it so far, up to the 4th floor! The gameplay loop feels great and the secrets are fairly well hidden, so trying to find them all is really fun.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
See in the clear the floors multiplayer game thing. What do you do if you get trapped behind a door or in a carpet? I can't escape takes ages to release me.
Call for help with down on the D-pad (you can also use left for "Thank you" or right for "Over here"). It's a cooperative multiplayer mode and you need teamwork to get past many challenges.

Also, once you play enough it should be easy to identify the traps. Fake doors do not show up on the map, and trap carpets are visually different from the rest of the flooring.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
This game could have really used some controller mapping options, and the fact that the shoulder button control options are hidden from the player is really dumb. Like I figured out the strobe light and plunger on my own, but I didn't find out about the darklight for pressing L+R until seeing it online. Also this game shows why paddles or extra buttons on the back of the grips are so damn good.

Agreed and feel like we need a sticky on every LM3 thread or something to remind Era about the shoulder mapping, because it's a game changer.

E. Gad is super fucking annoying, on the 3rd floor he was literally popping up and repeating his dumbass dialog every 20 seconds. Thankfully there's an option to turn that junk off, who comes up with this message rate???

Same thing happened to me, was super annoying but feel like it was maybe just a bug with that level or section? He wasn't nearly that incessant with other levels. Either way I turned it off.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Floors 6 and 7 have been an absolute joy from start to finish. I'm also doing some backtracking just because and I've found some challenging ghost fights.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I picked it up even without Invert Y, and I must say - I'm actually kinda okay with it. Because I'm controlling where Luigi is looking and not the camera, somehow this allows my brain to work with it. Shame on Nintendo for not including it by default, though, and they should definitely still patch it in.

Otherwise, I'm loving the game. I love that the palette-swap brother from the plumbing game now has his own rich side-story where he's a reluctant ghost hunter with an arch-enemy ghost. It's weird how things escalate.

I genuinely love Luigi and Polterpup's interactions, too. There's something really nice about seeing Luigi at ease and happy with someone.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I have a question, can you get all the gems the first time you enter a floor, or you unlock some kind of powerup later?

Also what's the point of money? It'll be like the first Luigi's Mansion that you get "rewarded" at the end?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to StrappingYoungLance I've just found that switching right stick control in settings from omnidirectional to horizontal only basically makes it a twin stick shooter style setup. You have to use the gyro to aim vertically which is a little fiddly but I think I may stick with this.

Yeah I was fiddling around with the control scheme last night and found this to be the most optimal.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I have a question, can you get all the gems the first time you enter a floor, or you unlock some kind of powerup later?

Also what's the point of money? It'll be like the first Luigi's Mansion that you get "rewarded" at the end?
There are not a lot of power ups, but it is safer to go back when you have every power up possible to get the gems.

Money is used to buy stuff from the shop. Not sure if the grading system is still there like in LM1.
But I think not, because you can actually buy things this time.

Jan 15, 2018
What a pleasant surprise this game. It oozes charm and I love that there are puzzles everywhere. I was a little worried this would be really repetitive like Dark Moon ended up being, but the variety is there right from the start

I needed a feel good game like this after not enjoying The Outer Worlds nearly as much as I expected.

Question: when exactly does the shop unlcock?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Call for help with down on the D-pad (you can also use left for "Thank you" or right for "Over here"). It's a cooperative multiplayer mode and you need teamwork to get past many challenges.

Also, once you play enough it should be easy to identify the traps. Fake doors do not show up on the map, and trap carpets are visually different from the rest of the flooring.

Ah right, I was playing it myself so guess I just need to be careful. Seems near enough impossible solo.

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Is Luigi still voiced by Charles Martinet? Is it just me or does he sound kind of weird and guttural in this game?

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
There are not a lot of power ups, but it is safer to go back when you have every power up possible to get the gems.

Money is used to buy stuff from the shop. Not sure if the grading system is still there like in LM1.
But I think not, because you can actually buy things this time.

The last one I got is Gooigi, are there any more?

Also the reactions of Luigi to everything are priceless, the only thing I miss is a description of every ghost boss, they add a lot of personality to the portraits ghost in Luigi's Mansion.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Ghosts here need bios since they already show their personality in-game.

Some of them also have personal rooms and belongings that allow you to interpret their character. The game is really good at environmental narrative.

I love the ghost pianist's room having a big portrait of himself.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Game was pretty good until I reached the medieval floor, and I said wow.
The theme/atmosphere/music is just so good there.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
This game is amazing. Controls felt off until I switched to horizontal only/don't turn, but it's been smooth sailing since. Utilizing L/R instead of the face buttons also helped here.

I could see myself easily played 3+ hrs of this at a time. Interacting with things is so fun and the atmosphere is wonderful. First LM game for me.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came here to ask this. I've got 15.000G and I'm on the seventh floor without ever using it. Why do I collect the cash?

The ending has a ranking system dependent on how much gold you have by the end of the game. It's not a huge difference but some things change with the ranking.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just unlocked the shop. The stuff I can buy with money right now is kinda useless. Do I unlock more shop items later?

May 5, 2018
Can I just say I love King Boo's laugh? It's just so slimey and sickly that its brilliant.

Also just finished room 2 and honestly that floor had the first Boss Ghost that gave me a real challenge. Took me a while to figure out what to do but the fight was a lot of fun and once I figured out how to beat him it felt great.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The last one I got is Gooigi, are there any more?

Also the reactions of Luigi to everything are priceless, the only thing I miss is a description of every ghost boss, they add a lot of personality to the portraits ghost in Luigi's Mansion.
I think that should be all power ups. Maybe you will get one on the 12th floor. Not sure on that, I am on that floor right now.