• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Didn't Pixar help with the development of KH3 even?

Tasha Sounart (pixar staffperson, former pixar animator, and creator of Costume Quest) did work on the game. But I do not believe she was not 'hands on' with development. More like a partner to help and advise with all things Pixar in KH3.

She was also a big fan of Luigi's Mansion 3, I recall her tweeting praise about the animations.

Last edited:

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
People who are saying Toy Story 1 is better animated than most games today are wild

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
sackboy-a-big-adventure-1280x720.jpg

This game right here hits Pixar level magic on PS5.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
If someone said this was a late gen PS4 game to someone completely new to games(to not question why a Mario game is on playstation) they wouldnt bat an eye
Just no way. It is so low-res and with simplistic environments that if you compare it to a game like TLOU2 or Horizon it looks a gen behind.

However it still looks super good especially for a Switch game, has great art direction and excellent animation. But let's be objective here.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Im sure they'll both be ported/ remade again some day. No guarantee it'll be on Switch, though. I for one would love to play Dark Moon not hampered by a cramped 3DS and no dual analog. Would buy it in a heart beat!

I'm thinking of getting a 3DS XL off eBay to play them and all the cool games on it that I missed.

But maybe I've been spoiled by the switch. used to love my vita with its gorgeous OLED screen but it was tough going back to a much smaller screen after getting the switch

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand how you guys can tell pixar/disney/illumination/dreamworks animations apart. It's all cartoons cg.
"Cartoon CG" is a broad brush to apply to anything. There's a lot of similar techniques employed but both movies like Into the Spider-Verse and Despicable Me fall into the distinction of cartoon CG, and they look nothing alike.

Lots of Dreamworks' stock-and-trade in CG was in pushing fidelity in the more immediately obvious areas. They've got a whole lot of movies about furry animals compared to Pixar (fur = more detail), which are often juxtaposed with things like realistic looking humans or character features (compare A Bug's Life to Antz, basically). Shrek more or less incorporated all of the aforementioned stuff to great success which made that a sort of rote low-brow formula among a lot of their mainstream productions for a while, including lots of gag animations, pop culture references and characters who can usually be caught doing the infamous "one furrowed eyebrow, one raised eyebrow" smirk either in promo material or multiple times during the movies. Generally they go for an "edgy" vibe in a kid-friendly kind of way. Pixar by comparison regularly goes for more simple designs that animate in more bouncy and expressive capacity while very much owning their all-ages appeal, though it's clear to any seasoned eye that they regularly pioneered new tech and attention-to-detail in far more subtle areas, making the movies feel grounded despite their look. They weren't afraid of making their designs animate in a more contemplative way. Wall-E is still one of the best looking CG movies ever made, and the Finding Nemo movies might have very cartoon-like main characters but the background detail of the movies remains stunning.

Obviously neither studios are boxed in by those common assumptions and neither are indicative of the individual quality of their output (movies like Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon are at least just as good as Pixar's "high tier" movies on any average day imo). Some movies of theirs feel like they could've come more from the other company, and vice versa. Nonetheless, whenever people like to compare the "vibe" of both companies, their oeuvre does paint a significantly different picture.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story 1 is still not achievable in real time in gaming. I know people like to post screen shots of the first movie up against modern video games (KH3) and yes its comparable in stills. But the fidelity and complexity of the animation still shits all video games. Even graphically its still ahead of current games in most scenarios.
Truly, video games have yet to reach these heights.

4RNA5cY.gif

I don't understand why some people continue to put the original Toy Story in some unreachable pedestal.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking of getting a 3DS XL off eBay to play them and all the cool games on it that I missed.

But maybe I've been spoiled by the switch. used to love my vita with its gorgeous OLED screen but it was tough going back to a much smaller screen after getting the switch

yeah. The 3DS is just so low res, and the lack of dual analog in so many games just makes it hard to go back. They never went back and patched in support for the nub from the New 3DS in all those great earlier 3DS games that really could've used it, like Dark Moon, OoT, etc.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Agree OP. I had the same thoughts last year - its criminally underrated and should have ranked higher on GOTY lists last year. The level of polish and quality was up there with what Nintendo usually reserves for Mario and Zelda, and I totally get the Pixar comparisons.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I come into a Luigi Mansion 3 thread leaving wanting to play Kingdom Hearts III.

Dopply

Nov 27, 2020
The animation work was just so phenomenal, it made playing the game an absolute treat. Next Level's 3D animators are truly first class.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, it's amazing what they did with this game.

I don't get the obsession with wanting to compare everything to Pixar but I will say the game has some of the best 3D animation I've ever seen a game. Next Level Games has some real talent working there.

It's just a comparison, games that go for realism are compared to movies, and games that go for a more stylised look are usually compared to CGI movies like Pixar/Disney.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
People get hung up on specific technical things like IQ or polycount or shadow resolution, but in terms of how games actually look, I'd say they beat the original Toy Story ages ago.

Yup. people will cherry pick a few scenes that are flattering to the toys, but forget that Toy Story 1 also looked like this:

D_NgM0BUEAAhgO0

949260_082015-cc-toy-story-sid-img.jpg

MOST of that movie looks like ass next to even PS4/XBO stuff.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Ratchet & Clank 2016 was up to snuff 4 years ago. Real-time animated movie vibes from start to finish.

bCmCjMC.png

CPbbJnD.png

lXU2JY9.png

vHiujfv.png

"It's more Dreamworks" has got to be the goofiest goalpost-moving sentiment I've seen, heh. We're also sleeping on the Crash/Spyro trilogy work from a few years back in this thread, too.

I wouldn't say it's up there but it easily has the best textures / fabric / paint etc ever in a game. It's insanely overlooked.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, some of the stuff Toys for Bob is doing with Spyro and Crash feels the closest to playing a 3d animated movie.
Absolutely. Spyro Reignited and Crash Bandicoot 4 are gorgeous. I would've never expected that level of fidelity from them pre-2018, the Skylanders games were never very impressive to me from a visual perspective. I wonder what happened between 2016-2018.
Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, KH all look way more like a Pixar animation than Luigi.
Yeah, I love Luigi's Mansion 3 (it's beautiful and it's my favorite Switch game), but I feel like several cartoony 8th gen games have also hit this "looks, feels, and moves like Pixar/a beautiful animated CG feature" mark quite well and also look much better than LM3 thanks to not being tied to underpowered hardware.

Last edited: