• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
They need writers on the ground floor and in the upper levels of management if this is going to be any good. Don't start making an open world Ubi game and then splash some Star Wars paint on it like it's just any old Ubi IP.

If they don't focus on the themes that they want to convey, they'll end up with some incoherent mess like Rise of Skywalker meets Battlefront 2.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Whats with the "from EA to Ubisoft" takes? This is one of many Star Wars games we will see from many companies.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Since I think a lot of people are confused (and why not)
  • EA never had true exclusivity, it was more of a right of first refusal (at least this is how I understood it)
  • Plenty of non EA Star Wars games have come out since the deal with EA began (just check the iOS appstore)
  • EA has made a humongous amount of money for Lucas, its a good partnership and Im sure it will get renewed
Oh and I used to work for EA on SW stuff, so theres that. Theres more insight I could give but then we get into murky maybe NDA stuff. Happy for Ubi, seems like a fun project!

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Damnit Disney. Giving a game to Ubisoft sounds like some management CEO is googling a list of 'most profitable game companies and games' rather than actually taking pitches for good ideas.

Open world Star Wars game by Ubisoft just sound like Disney pointing at popular open world games and saying one of those please.

I'll wait till I see more and eat crow if nessecary but at the moment I have 0 faith that Disney or Lucasfilm Games have any creative heart at all other than what will appeal and sell. I feel like speadsheet and bar charts dicated this desicion.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel open world doesn't have the appeal it used to have anymore.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
So the EA exclusivity ended? Good lord, finally...

I still don't think Ubisoft is the right partner for making a great Star Wars game. Their open worlds are so boring and not fun to explore.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Ubisoft and Massive... yikas. Hopefully the next partner is more exciting.

A narrative driven Star Wars game made by Naughty Dog me just thinking about it.

tenor.gif

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
I've wanted an open world Star Wars game so much. I know some won't agree, but I hope it's a looter game. Massive's Division series is one of the only deep looter games in terms of build creation (3rd/1st person) despite its many problems.

Oct 31, 2017
Sony is amazing but probably too busy to immediately jump in on this,
Nintendo however...
Star-wars-rogue-squadron.jpg

Rogue_squadron_2_Box.jpg

Star_Wars_Rogue_Squadron_III_-_Rebel_Strike_Coverart.png

get on it!

Not sure about them being too busy. They have a 1st party studio working on a 3rd party IP in Spider-Man and another studio working on Iron Man after all. Having one of their 1st party studios develop a Star Wars game series would be major for them and guaranteed sales.

I'd be very surprised if Microsoft and Sony didn't have something Star Wars in the works, it's an easy win for either of them.

Microsoft still doesn't have a Marvel game being developed by one of their internal studios, so I'm wary there.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
If this could be The Division 2 but in scifi future cities with fancy, future guns/loot and cover shooting I could be up for that. I actually love Massive's TPS gameplay.

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for new Star Wars games. After AC Valhalla i'm eager to see what they can cook up.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Yeah, I am not very excited for a Ubisoft open world game from the developers of The Division.
But who knows, maybe a miracle happens and they create something fun.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Since it's Massive it'll have a lame first year or so followed by "learning lessons along the way" with a decent rebalance in year 2 or the first expansion.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
New open world star wars game is long overdued. Please be SP and be good, i dont mind Ubisoft gameplay loop as i find it enjoyable.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
  • EA never had true exclusivity, it was more of a right of first refusal (at least this is how I understood it)
  • Plenty of non EA Star Wars games have come out since the deal with EA began (just check the iOS appstore)
  • EA has made a humongous amount of money for Lucas, its a good partnership and Im sure it will get renewed
Oh and I used to work for EA on SW stuff, so theres that. Theres more insight I could give but then we get into murky maybe NDA stuff. Happy for Ubi, seems like a fun project!
That's interesting, though I guess rights of first refusal could be fairly big don't bother for other publishers depending on it's wording, because EA possibly get asked about the sequel if it takes off.

I'll be pretty surprised if EA don't keep making 1 or 2 big Star Wars games every few years though, Fallen Order is a no brainer and Battlefront 3 is too I'd imagine.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
Oooh, exclusivity deal seems to be dead.

Come on, team up with Microsoft and Obsidian for a new Star Wars RPG.

Why does it have to be cinematic?
It's kind of expected with it being Star Wars I would play a massive developed 'division but Star Wars game' I just would go in expecting mediocracy happy to be proven wrong though.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The output from EA has been terrible, I would imagine Disney would want multiple games being made so it makes perfect sense to put it out there to more publishers.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they don't stick to a single world, unless it's Coruscant or somewhere similarly dense. Best part of Star Wars is seeing all he various planets and locations.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't wait to see what Massive can pull off when they don't have to downgrade their engine to support shit hardware.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know the legal specifics but EA's deal was for games for the "core gaming audience". Disney specifically retained mobile game rights

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Huge (Massive) news randomly these last 2 days.
I'm happy disney is flexing the license to other pubs.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I love Ubisoft open world games so VERY excited for this.

I'd prefer the Assassin's Creed team but I'm sure Massive will do s great job.

Now we just need a first trailer with a Jedi creeping round a spaceship, closing the door as he goes past

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.starwars.com

Lucasfilm Games Hits Lightspeed Toward the Future

Douglas Reilly, VP of Lucasfilm Games, talks to StarWars.com about the just announced story-driven, open-world Star Wars game from Ubisoft, and much more.

Open the flood-gates!

"And that's going to continue throughout the next year or so, where we're going to continue to announce projects that are more representative of the legacy of the old Lucasfilm Games that we're now trying to live up to."

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'll be pretty surprised if EA don't keep making 1 or 2 big Star Wars games every few years though, Fallen Order is a no brainer and Battlefront 3 is too I'd imagine.

They won't stop.

JFO was the fastest selling SW ever and shipped more than 10 million units and both Battlefront games sold over 35 million units, also SWTOR is apparently doing good financially and they are doubling down on SW
www.pcgamer.com

Electronic Arts plans to 'double down' on Star Wars games

EA CEO Andrew Wilson recently said that the company has a 'tremendous relationship' with Disney.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let's go!!!! I still like Fallen Order, but I don't like the IP sticking solely with EA