• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great title. Grenadier was a nice addition. The story was ok. I love the gameplay.

Oct 30, 2017
The true sequel to the first VC game, both are equally amazing ( but the first one still better for me ) ... hope we see VC5 in this gen.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
VC4 is good, solid follow up to VC1, lots of content, decent scenarios. Vehicles felt under cooked here, but the new mortar class is a great addition that busted more tanks than anything. It's a much better strategy game than the last Fire Emblem, which I only mention (and bought..) because that game got a ton of fan and critical praise while VC4 was overlooked. All that to say it's worth your time, anime-strategy fans.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
OH MAN, I had actually forgotten about that. Riley literally giving shit to Claude because he refused to her run into a burning building and die in a fire. And then the whole town calls him a coward for it. It's so fucking dumb.

Part of me wants to go something something the power of boners, but Riley's attitude upon realizing who Claude is is laughable and maddening. People talk about how Raz sucks, and he does, but Riley REALLY sucks. She ruined Claude's entire childhood for no reason and then forces him to prove himself in order for to not commit insubordination.

Riley fucking sucks.
See I was recalling this when making my initial post but thought "nah, it surely wasn't THAT dumb, I must be misremembering"

But this is really how it went down huh? Riley is indeed the worst

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
VC4 is good, solid follow up to VC1, lots of content, decent scenarios. Vehicles felt under cooked here, but the new mortar class is a great addition that busted more tanks than anything. It's a much better strategy game than the last Fire Emblem, which I only mention (and bought..) because that game got a ton of fan and critical praise while VC4 was overlooked. All that to say it's worth your time, anime-strategy fans.
Aside from my various issues with the story, the characters, the shittier anime tropes, bungled social commentary, the tedious 'all main characters are teenagers so we can reuse high school hijinks ' bullshit etc, I found the general VC gameplay as interesting as ever in its WWII-era combined arms approach to turn-based combat. With one exception though, the grenadier class. Like, why does that class get overwatch fire, something that's meant to be a quick reaction upon seeing the enemy in range, against things they can't even see, when other classes with heavy equipment that's considerably easier to sight and aim (snipers, lancers) don't? How is a trooper with a heavy portable mortar that takes ten seconds to deploy able to put laser-accurate fire on an infantryman dashing thirty metres that they can't see? It doesn't make much sense and that they are deadly accurate with a huge range made enemy ones tedious when advancing and a priority target more than anything up to a heavy tank. It would have made more sense if they had some kind of suppression fire rule that continually targeted a large circular zone you had to select, a rule already in play for supporting artillery on either side. PC ones similarly made made several classes redundant in a lot of missions, as even just having one in your deployment zone and never touching them again was guaranteed to pin down enemy movement and notch up kills without you spending any command points on them. It just felt overpowered and used as a sort of indirect sniper unit than a mobile suppression/anti-tank artillery unit trading firepower for portability.

I found the final couple of battles a bit tedious too, so it's not something I'll be replaying in a hurry.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from my various issues with the story, the characters, the shittier anime tropes, bungled social commentary, the tedious 'all main characters are teenagers so we can reuse high school hijinks ' bullshit etc, I found the general VC gameplay as interesting as ever in its WWII-era combined arms approach to turn-based combat. With one exception though, the grenadier class. Like, why does that class get overwatch fire, something that's meant to be a quick reaction upon seeing the enemy in range, against things they can't even see, when other classes with heavy equipment that's considerably easier to sight and aim (snipers, lancers) don't? How is a trooper with a heavy portable mortar that takes ten seconds to deploy able to put laser-accurate fire on an infantryman dashing thirty metres that they can't see? It doesn't make much sense and that they are deadly accurate with a huge range made enemy ones tedious when advancing and a priority target more than anything up to a heavy tank. It would have made more sense if they had some kind of suppression fire rule that continually targeted a large circular zone you had to select, a rule already in play for supporting artillery on either side. PC ones similarly made made several classes redundant in a lot of missions, as even just having one in your deployment zone and never touching them again was guaranteed to pin down enemy movement and notch up kills without you spending any command points on them. It just felt overpowered and used as a sort of indirect sniper unit than a mobile suppression/anti-tank artillery unit trading firepower for portability.

I found the final couple of battles a bit tedious too, so it's something I'll be replaying in a hurry.

Grenadiers probably just had overwatch to boost their overall utility. It didn't feel too unbalanced but I wouldn't have a problem with implementing the zoning you mention. They played a bit like StarCraft siege tanks, so I loved them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Grenadiers probably just had overwatch to boost their overall utility. It didn't feel too unbalanced but I wouldn't have a problem with implementing the zoning you mention. They played a bit like StarCraft siege tanks, so I loved them.
Yeah, fair enough, I agree it's done for overall balance in the squad rather than realism. And don't get me wrong, I loved them on my side as their utility was through the roof. I just found it a bit sad that it made some other classes feel useless in comparison once you got used to aiming them. I had an anti-tank one that made lancers almost entirely redundant.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
With one exception though, the grenadier class. Like, why does that class get overwatch fire, something that's meant to be a quick reaction upon seeing the enemy in range, against things they can't even see, when other classes with heavy equipment that's considerably easier to sight and aim (snipers, lancers) don't? How is a trooper with a heavy portable mortar that takes ten seconds to deploy able to put laser-accurate fire on an infantryman dashing thirty metres that they can't see?
That's how mortars work. Like, depending on the design, the rounds are just dropped in and hit a fixed firing pin that sets off a primer that ignites the propellant.

That said, the game could probably use more squad chatter to establish who's giving the grenadier target/aim info.

Also, I think the reason snipers in VC don't have reaction fire is due to the fact that if you position one properly, you could wipe out all the enemies on the map. XCOM 2 gets around this problem by making the sniper only able to fire one reaction shot per turn unless specific abilities/equipment is used.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's how mortars work. Like, depending on the design, the rounds are just dropped in and hit a fixed firing pin that sets off a primer that ignites the propellant.

That said, the game could probably use more squad chatter to establish who's giving the grenadier target/aim info.

Also, I think the reason snipers in VC don't have reaction fire is due to the fact that if you position one properly, you could wipe out all the enemies on the map. XCOM 2 gets around this problem by making the sniper only able to fire one reaction shot per turn unless specific abilities/equipment is used.
It's more the constant adjusting of aim and tracking movement they can't see than the speed of fire I didn't like, which is why I thought setting a target area would be better. Yeah, I remember that sniper rule from Xcom 2 as well, it was a good balance to limit it to one shot. Just felt weird in VC4 that the sniper is what you'd expect to be picking off people breaking cover in urban warfare, not the mortar guy a quarter mile away who gets a psychic feeling on how to drop a shell precisely on the head of any enemy trooper moving more than three feet. And even at close range, a sniper still can't do anything or lob a defensive grenade, while a mortar trooper can still launch at someone charging at them barely 20 metres away. Still, nothing they couldn't tweak a bit in terms of squad balance in a sequel, not that I think VC will get another. It wasn't my major issue with the game by a long way, but others have explained the hamfisted social commentary better than me.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
All this comparisons to Xcom is not doing me any favors in making me go back to this game that I started a week ago....

I liked the story in VC1 but it appears I dont even get that in this. And some of the stuff Im seeing early in the game is already making me side eye VC4.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the posters that the gameplay is fun but that the story is bad. I think they took the setting of "WWII but anime" a little too far, especially with a certain revelation about nukes...

The gameplay is super unique, so I was happy to support this game, but I had to struggle to get through it when I disliked the writing this much. I hear the complaints that the story in VC1 is bad too, but I would much rather a bland or unoriginal "save our homeland" story than the offensively bad writing in VC4. I hope the gameplay lives on in some future game, but I felt pretty done with this series after completing this game.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I expected them to expand on the story and lore of VC1 further but alas, I left disappointed in that department. Not even a glimpse in the history of the Empire or the main antagonist and his two henchgirls.
Preferred the characters of the first game and their bonds better. But I agree, gameplay was a big improvement and the New game+ where you get to play as all the characters, even from VC1 and the villains in bathing suits on the beach, compensated for it. Beach episode looked far more serious too compared to the rest of the game.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
2018 Game of the year to me.
This is the best the series had to offer... What an amazing ride.
to me VC4 managed to surpass VC1 (which was/still a masterpiece & a gener redefining game) in every single aspect including story. I think I will never get the hate! the characters and their struggles in frontline were all deeply felt and made me care about squad E.
I know some story parts doesn't make sense but nothing that I can't swallow... Overall it was a very impactful journey.
All QoL & improvement to the game balance was really good. The new class really add a whole new layer to how the battles are designed. Maps & battle designs were thoughtfully designed & even more varied than the 1st game... Lots of great strong moments.
Lots of content too with all of these squad stories.

The only things that I felt was better in VC1 is the amount of CGs used in the game and the music being completely original.

The music pieces during the dialogue were amazing though..

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Absolutely loved this game. I think it's even better than the first game with the gameplay tweaks in the game. It's a shame it seemed to sell poorly because I'd really love a VC5.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminds me that I should really go play VC1 - I really enjoyed my time with 4 last year, but the game lasted too long for me. Great game for anyone looking for strategy games on switch for sure.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved this game. I think it's even better than the first game with the gameplay tweaks in the game. It's a shame it seemed to sell poorly because I'd really love a VC5.

Yeah, VC comes roaring back to consoles/PC with a big multiplatform release and it flies under the radar. Shame, I don't think there's even been news of a big fancy art book like the previous 3 games received and I'd love to get one.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Always curious how people feel about the switch port. I struggled for a while on what platform I should get it on and I ended up getting it and beating it on Switch. I absolutely loved the game but I regretted getting it on switch due to some minor performance issues and the terribly compressed video cutscenes.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Always curious how people feel about the switch port. I struggled for a while on what platform I should get it on and I ended up getting it and beating it on Switch. I absolutely loved the game but I regretted getting it on switch due to some minor performance issues and the terribly compressed video cutscenes.
I played and enjoyed it on Switch. Definitely had a few performance issues, though. Things felt a little sluggish in battle when using menus, which was my main issue.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I played and enjoyed it on Switch. Definitely had a few performance issues, though. Things felt a little sluggish in battle when using menus, which was my main issue.
Yup especially in some of the later missions (and one big mission in the middle). I also hated the cutscene quality it some of the bigger action sequences cause I could clearly see compression artifacts.

In fairness to the switch, it's quite hard to not notice that kind of stuff on 65 inch TV. It probably looked fine in handheld mode.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This actually ended up being a bit of a sticking point with me, something did feel off about the otherwise solid switch version and this was it.

I'd feel more compelled to go back if it was that bit smoother, the slightly lesser visuals don't bother me but this did.

Makes me wonder, does the VC1 port have the same issue?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I got this a while back. I'd loved the demo for it but waited until I got the combo remaster+this for PS4. It is, like the first one, a really fun game. It is, unlike my memory of the first one, one of the worst stories and cast of characters I've ever suffered. Just the absolute worst.

I don't know if it's my memory playing tricks on me, but back when I played the first one I felt like it was a living breathing anime. But like, I don't know, Spice & Wolf. 4 feels like an anime, too, but maybe more like Sword Art Online or some other shit I want nothing to do with.

I've only got up to the snow levels and it'll probably be some time before I bother playing it again, but I will because I enjoy the gameplay. But my God, even the character designs make almost the entire squad look like B listers.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
It gets the best gameplay in the series, and the squad missions were great. But man, missions with boss units aren't fun. End up cheesing most of those, and even so took a while to sit down and finally finish the last chapters.

It's above 2 cast and story-wise, of course, but I'd say way behind 1 and 3. Squad 7 and 422 are just too good.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
VC4 is a weird case in that whilst the gameplay is pretty good, the storytelling and characters are really bad - at some points verging on inexcusable.

VC1, whilst far from perfect in this regard, was far, far better.

amademage

May 19, 2020
The atrocious story prevented this game from being truly great and breathing new life into the franchise.