What's your favourite Panzer Dragoon shooter?

• Panzer Dragoon (1995)

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (1996)

Votes: 81 38.8%
  • Panzer Dragoon Mini (1996)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (2002)

Votes: 111 53.1%

• Total voters

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have a Question.
I own an og xbox, but no working controllers. And I have a physical copy of Orta. Can i use my physical OG xbox games in the Series X if it is a game with backwards compatability? or is that like specific digital release kind of thing?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orta is sweet. I would give star successor a try. Thats an absolute gem of a game in a similar vein

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
I only ever got the chance to play Zwei somewhat recently - a coworker was wanting to get rid of some of his collection, and offered me a pretty heavily discounted price on it, so I took him up on it, not realizing that the copy itself was in incredible condition.

And now I love it to death.

It's a toss-up between Zwei and Orta for me, though I've played a whole lot more Orta - but I see it as one of those situations where you can't lose either way; you're still playing one of the greatest rail shooters of all time.
I have a Question.
I own an og xbox, but no working controllers. And I have a physical copy of Orta. Can i use my physical OG xbox games in the Series X if it is a game with backwards compatability? or is that like specific digital release kind of thing?
Yep - just pop the disc in and it'll start downloading the packaged version from Xbox Live.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
£9 on the store, is this Series X BC compatible?
It is (i played it for the first time last year on my Series S).

---

My favorite part of this game was the soundtrack. I love it, and it blends really well with what is happening on the screen.

Regarding game favorites, i've only played this one and the remake of the first, so it is an easy answer. It is a shame that the OG version included in Orta is not enhanced in any way.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Zwei left a longer lasting impact on me so I voted for that. Both are incredible. This is one the greatest gaming franchises of all time.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
that's an excellent deal. Do all packaged games with BC work that way?
Yeah, the Xbox backwards compatibility system will let you use your discs to confirm that you own the game, but even though it plays the version downloaded from Xbox Live, it requires the disc to be in unless you purchased a digital version.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, the Xbox backwards compatibility system will let you use your discs to confirm that you own the game, but even though it plays the version downloaded from Xbox Live, it requires the disc to be in unless you purchased a digital version.

Totally fine by me. I'm definitely picking up a Series X sooner than later.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the Brits in here, you may remember when Panzer Dragoon Zwei was featured in EastEnders:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
I remember you showed MD Sonic on that show in another thread. Were there any other video game appearances?

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
never played zwei and only played the first game for the first time as the remake. really liked it, but i'd give the nod to orta here.

it's retroactively improved for me as an actual sequel to saga (since i played saga later).

Huh, odd. Usually Saga is the one no one played.

Orta is 20 years old!?

giphy.gif

I know right? We're old!

PD Orta was literally the reason I bought an Xbox in the summer of 2002. (Pretty sure the game actually released in early 2003, though.)

I went through this on-again/off-again rollercoaster ride... I gave absolutely zero fucks about Microsoft throwing their hat into the ring with a new console (off) but then I heard it was going to have a new Panzer Dragoon as an exclusive (on) but then I heard it wasn't going to be made by Team Andromeda but rather some new studio called Smilebit (off) but then I heard Smilebit was made up of mostly ex-Team Andromeda staff (on.) I ran out and bought an Xbox, but the PDO wasn't going to release for more than six months. In the mean time, I played this obscure little first person shooter named Halo, which went on to become one of my favorite franchises of all time... whereas ironically Panzer Dragoon Orta ultimately became a barely recalled footnote in my gaming career. I was expecting it would basically be like the original PD and Zwei, but with better graphics, and that's all I wanted... but it really wasn't that at all. It looked and felt different enough that I basically thought it might as well have been made by all non-Team Andromeda folks. I still have my copy somewhere, if I can find it I'll pop it into my XSX.

P.S. Zwei 4 President

2002 in Japan, 2003 elsewhere.

Zwei holds a real special place in my heart. Lots of incredible tension/musical build for scenes. Never experienced that before in games.

View: https://youtu.be/xHz0uBSmwnA?t=1024

Yeah, that whole Episode 5 is such a great gaming moment in Zwei.

I adore the game but desperately wish there was some sort of cheat code to unlock everything. I had to do it between three consoles now!

I think Orta has the most interesting mechanics to it overall but Zwei is just such a finely crafted game, it is hard to compare anything to it.

Totally worth it a 3rd time!

I wonder if Sega are remaking this too?
Sega didn't do the Switch remake, unless you mean the PS2 remake. The developer of the Switch remake did announce a Zwei remake, but a no show.

I remember you showed MD Sonic on that show in another thread. Were there any other video game appearances?
Not that I know of, but it may interest you to know I've been writing this:

Interestingly, outside of the obviosus IP, Panzer Dragoon 2 is one of the most referenced Sega games alongside Outrun, VF2, Nights and Crazy Taxi.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm a zoomer so unfortunately I've only played Orta (and I will forever regret the time I had the chance to buy all 3 original games for like $10 a pop at a garage sale) but Orta is legitimately one of the best games I've ever played. Everything about it is just so satisfying and smooth and fun and I could honestly gush on and on about it with no remorse. It's also just a legitimately beautiful game as well honestly

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Orta is awesome and holds up so well today, but Zwei is a better game. Zwei is the best in the genre

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Orta is awesome and holds up so well today, but Zwei is a better game. Zwei is the best in the genre
I'm hoping the Zwei remake just suddenly drops one day like PD1R did. (I've got a partial OT ready to go for whenever it does.) That game's gonna be something really special if they do it right.

It's too hard for me to complete.
Keep at it! The game doesn't penalize you for playing on Easy, and it actually automatically unlocks various rewards just for playing. Every 5 hours of in-game time gets you various unlockables, and after 20 hours it unlocks literally everything. (It's how people were able to bypass the infamous "PAL version freezes after Episode 4" BC glitch back in the day.)

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that I know of, but it may interest you to know I've been writing this:

Interestingly, outside of the obviosus IP, Panzer Dragoon 2 is one of the most referenced Sega games alongside Outrun, VF2, Nights and Crazy Taxi.
Awesome work. There was some Australian movie I saw a decade or so ago that had Alex Kidd in Miracle World in it (at least the audio) but I don't remember anything else about it now.

And Muppet Babies had Fantasy Zone (and maybe Frogger, too, if we're counting that as a Sega game). There's also the Seinfeld Frogger episode; I think they removed the Sega name off the cabinet but it's still seen in-game. Wayne's World had Sonic 1. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter had Zaxxon. The show Roseanne mentions Sonic (or at least a hedgehog game) I think even though the family bought a Super Nintendo instead.

Last edited:

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
From the moment I first played Panzer Dragoon on the Saturn, I loved this world. And the music. And the gameplay. And the... everything about it. Played 'em all and loved them all.

I don't see SAGA on that list though... =)

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Awesome work. There was some Australian movie I saw a decade or so ago that had Alex Kidd in Miracle World in it (at least the audio) but I don't remember anything else about it now.

And Muppet Babies had Fantasy Zone (and maybe Frogger, too, if we're counting that as a Sega game). There's also the Seinfeld Frogger episode; I think they removed the Sega name off the cabinet but it's still seen in-game. Wayne's World had Sonic 1. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter had Zaxxon. The show Roseanne mentions Sonic (or at least a hedgehog game) I think even though the family bought a Super Nintendo instead.
There's a seperate list for Sonic: https://info.sonicretro.org/References_to_Sonic_in_film,_television,_and_printed_media

I'm gonna get back to that one once I finish the Sega Retro one. Got any screenshots for those?

Here's what I'm planning on adding:

1.) Opa Opa in Zillion
2.) Tonikaku Kawaii mentions Mega Drive, Episode 11 7:24
3.) Jashin-Chan Dropkick mentions Mega Drive, Season 2 Episode 3 10:03
4.) Generation X
5.) Oha Suta (Dreamcast Japan launch, thanks Serein !)

From the moment I first played Panzer Dragoon on the Saturn, I loved this world. And the music. And the gameplay. And the... everything about it. Played 'em all and loved them all.

I don't see SAGA on that list though... =)
Saga would dominate, so wouldn't be fair.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna get back to that one once I finish the Sega Retro one. Got any screenshots for those?
I don't know how I missed that Sonic page link.

Muppet Babies stuff - http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/07/muppet-babies-its-only-pretendo.html

Zaxxon - www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2017/08/sculpt-or-die-making-zaxxon-mask-from.html

And here's Slap Shot in MacGyver:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't know how I missed that Sonic page link.

Muppet Babies stuff - http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/07/muppet-babies-its-only-pretendo.html

Zaxxon - www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2017/08/sculpt-or-die-making-zaxxon-mask-from.html

And here's Slap Shot in MacGyver:

- YouTube

Thanks. I added in F13 4 and will add the other two soon.

Also, going by that, seems like the iconic games per system are:

Mega Drive: Sonic, Mortal Kombat, NHL
Saturn: NiGHTS into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Virtua Fighter 2
Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, NBA/NFL 2k

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Great games, I love 1&2 on Saturn. Even liked the remake of PD1.

Orta is really nice too, looks great on the Series X/S in super high resolution.

Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S owners really should check out Crimson Dragon too, if they like this type of game. I think it was made by some of the same people.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I added in F13 4 and will add the other two soon.

Also, going by that, seems like the iconic games per system are:

Mega Drive: Sonic, Mortal Kombat, NHL
Saturn: NiGHTS into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Virtua Fighter 2
Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, NBA/NFL 2k
Another one, OutRun in Donnie Darko.
DONNIE-DARKO-DONNIE-PLAYS-OUTRUN-1024x433.jpg

There was also an homage to OutRun in some commercial in recent years but I don't remember what it was for.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Zwei was incredible. I played that game way too much trying to unlock everything everything in Pandra's box

Kent

Jun 4, 2018

Orta is really nice too, looks great on the Series X/S in super high resolution.

Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S owners really should check out Crimson Dragon too, if they like this type of game. I think it was made by some of the same people.
Crimson Dragon is really underappreciated - a large amount of people back at launch saw that it has login bonuses and microtransactions and dismiss it entirely, without understanding that the game is one that was actually not designed around having them in the first place, so everything is self-contained and obtainable through gameplay at a very reasonable pace.

It's different, and while I won't say it reaches the highs that Panzer Dragoon does (because it absolutely doesn't), it's not a bad game at all. And the co-op that was added in post-launch is well-handled, too - each player has a separate path they take through each stage.

But yes, it's by Yukio Futatsugi and his team over at Grounding. It's worth playing if you like rail shooters.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Crimson Dragon is really underappreciated - a large amount of people back at launch saw that it has login bonuses and microtransactions and dismiss it entirely, without understanding that the game is one that was actually not designed around having them in the first place, so everything is self-contained and obtainable through gameplay at a very reasonable pace.

It's different, and while I won't say it reaches the highs that Panzer Dragoon does (because it absolutely doesn't), it's not a bad game at all. And the co-op that was added in post-launch is well-handled, too - each player has a separate path they take through each stage.

But yes, it's by Yukio Futatsugi and his team over at Grounding. It's worth playing if you like rail shooters.
Totally agree, the micro transactions bad rep doesn't count at all in hindsight.

Forgot it had coop, that sounds really fun!

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I'll give Crimson Dragon a look.

I thought I saw something more recent than ten years ago but looking at it again, maybe that was it and time's just going too fast.
Got some more stuff to add:

Capture_decran_2022-07-15_a_00.41.59-1.jpg

Capture_decran_2022-07-15_a_00.42.50.jpg

Capture_decran_2022-07-15_a_00.43.17.jpg

No worries.

It must be over 15 years since I played Orta. Great game although Zwei is my favourite Panzer game.

I've managed to convince Sega Retro to add it!

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Zwei is my favourite. Fond memories of perfecting every route while listening to that wonderful soundtrack.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that Zwei was the real point where the series found it's true identity, particularly on terms of it's marriage of audio and visuals. To this day it has an incredibly unique look and feel to it. It still blows my mind that this niche series from a relatively unpopular console got other lease of life on a totally different console family.

If it had has the level of exposure that releasing on the Playstation would have afforded then I'm sure the series would be revered along with some of the systems greatest games but then you could really argue that its the sort of franchise that would only ever have been developed by Sega for a Sega console.

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel that Zwei was the real point where the series found it's true identity, particularly on terms of it's marriage of audio and visuals. To this day it has an incredibly unique look and feel to it. It still blows my mind that this niche series from a relatively unpopular console got other lease of life on a totally different console family.

If it had has the level of exposure that releasing on the Playstation would have afforded then I'm sure the series would be revered along with some of the systems greatest games but then you could really argue that its the sort of franchise that would only ever have been developed by Sega for a Sega console.
Ever play Omega Boost? Basically Panzer Dragoon PlayStation by the Gran Turismo devs.