• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
It's amazing, especially considering I'm using a cheap Sammy Qled. Can only imagine how it looks on those expensive TV's people have in this site.
Right now I'm replaying God Of War, the first time was back on launch at SDR and it's like a different game. I have to stop every couple of steps just to look at the environment.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The film The Revenant is what first convinced me of the value of HDR. That movie's use of HDR to make the lighting feel natural, is fantastic and subtle.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Witness is free on PS4 at the moment, and it's a pretty good example of HDR with its bright and super colorful palette. Basically only downloaded it to test it out since I had already finished it on PC. Unfortunately the PC version never got updated with HDR support, but it did allow me to compare SDR and HDR directly on the same TV using two properly calibrated sources (enabling/disabling HDR while watching a movie for instance is really of no use). The Witness has always looked colorful as heck to me in the past but it's funny how much duller it looks in SDR on my PC when I switch back and forth with the PS4's HDR output. The skies alone look like such a pleasant blue-ish tone in HDR it almost makes them look greyish on my PC lol.

I really wish more games supported HDR, on PC or elsewhere. I had no idea the list was so anemic. UHD Blu-rays have been around for five years and game support has been pathetic all along, and with mixed results to boot! I guess things will change with the arrival of next-gen but I still wish so many semi-recent games lacking HDR support were patched with it. Just makes everything look a good deal nicer (when done correctly).

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In further HDR adventures, today I found out some "UHD" movies and shows don't make full use of HDR. I I tried out BR2049 and noticed it barely looked any better than in SDR, if at all. Did some googling and saw that Vincent Teoh from HDTVtest confirmed it a while ago. Son I am disappoint. What's with all these reviewers praising the use of HDR in that movie to high heaven. I don't want to call them names, but I kind of do want to call them names.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
It's fantastic. It's one of the reasons I'll probably eventually pick up a series X, as Auto-HDR seems like it would enhance so many games. Particle effects are the most obvious in games and they're showing up more and more. Kingdom Hearts in particular would really benefit from HDR.

giphy.gif

Man, I really need to watch the last season of Schitt's Creek. Thanks for the reminder.