jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For a while I thought HDR was not a big deal, from looking at in-store demos. Thought to myself, what's the big deal exactly? But it's such a completely different experience when you actually set up your TV in your home. Got a Sony 900H recently and shit just look unbelievable on it. Have tested a handful of HDR movies on streaming services and whatnot and I have been blown away. The Justice League Snydercut and the opening to The Lion King remake left me flabbergasted. It's such a diametrically different experience from my old 1080p TV. The difference is just huge. Colors look deep without being saturated. Image is bright as hell without peaking or looking overexposed. Contrast levels are fantastic without darker colors disappearing into the blackness. I can almost feel the warmth of the sun when it's shining on screen. The format works so well with the darkly lit scenery in JL constantly being bombarded by bright, colorful glowing lights. HDR is a true game changer!

Haven't tested many games since PC is my main gaming rig and HDR is a bit of a pain here (or a lot of a pain). Wanted to test Ace Combat 7 and found out it doesn't even support HDR at all (what the fudge). Wanted to try Ori 2 but apparently I have to go into Windows Display settings first because it won't let me turn on HDR from the in-game menu lol. Ugh. Loaded up a bit of Tetris Effect and FFVIIR on my PS4 and at least that worked pain-free. And they sure looked nice! Gonna have to be on the lookout for more HDR gaming demos. Also disappointed that a game as colorful as Mega Man 11 also does not support HDR at all, like AC7. Sayonara Wild Hearts would probably also look amazing in HDR but offers no support either. I don't understand this shit at all.

As a sidenote, I found HDR to be way, way more noticeable than 4K (compared to 1080p). At 55" and the distance I sit across my TV (which is honestly pretty dang close), the difference in appreciable fine detail is very slight, honestly. Especially for movies. Truly some diminishing returns going on, considering it's literally four times the resolution, at least at this screen size. I imagine you need a truly huge display to get the real benefit of 4K resolution. Honestly what has impressed me the most about 4K so far is the quality of the text in Windows 10 lol. It looks fucking crisp. For games you do get a nice boost in improved image quality of course.

As a second sidenote, this is also the first time I've played something at 120fps. I tried Ori 2 and Thumper, and I weirdly felt like those people that claim they can't see a difference between 30 and 60fps. I mean I could see a difference in motion smoothness but it was very subtle. I kept changing between 60 and 120 in Thumper but it just wasn't the difference I was expecting or hoping to see. Weirdly, again, the biggest difference was in Windows 10, mouse movement feels extremely responsive at 120fps.

Anyways, HDR is fucking fantastic.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good HDR is THE THING. Better than 4K, better than anything else.

Sadly, integration in games is iffy so far, but in movies it's just fantastic.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
120fps is a godsend if you're using K+M; it makes 60fps feel jerky and slow like 30fps.

With a controller I can't tell a difference so I can't blame you for thinking that it's subtle

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
120fps vs 60fps will make the biggest difference in games with quick camera movements like Rocket League and generally any FPS. It's going to be much harder to appreciate in sidescrollers like Ori or games with a fixed camera like Thumper.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I just got my CX a month back, and I've been playing FFVII Remake on a base PS4, and it's impressive as hell. Lamp light really pops. I am seriously impressed how much better HDR-enabled games looked compared to my old Sony plasma (which pre-dates HDR).

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
4K wasn't a big deal for me (although now I appreciate it) but HDR is night and day. Especially Dolby Vision. Even streaming looks incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
In my opinion HDR is fantastic*

* Once you spend countless hours calibrating your TV/Screen and the in-game implementation is decent.

I typically keep it off on my PS5 because it's always on for games that don't even have HDR, which throws colours off. But then even for games that do have HDR I find sometimes it's a pain to get the games to look right, sometimes they are too bright, others they are too dark (or the dark areas are completely crushed). It's very hit and miss for me.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't understand what was HDR or the point of it. Then I got an LG CX, and I got it. It was mindblowingly beautiful.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, HDR can be fantastic. Things like FFXV and Spider-Man honestly look a gen ahead on PS4 with HDR enabled.

nyym

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas City
This thread is exciting for me, as I am about to upgrade my old 1080p Samsung to a 4K HDR TV. Finally get to see my PS5 really stretch it's legs.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
HDR is the prime next gen visual feature. Nothing else comes close.

HDR and VRR (paired with CPUs actually reasonably capable of delivering somewhat high framerates) is where next gen will truly be felt.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I can´t wait to see the light too lol
After more than 10 years rocking my Panasonic Full HD I finally made the move and got a LG CX.
It´s scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I already downloaded some of the most recomended games on my PS4 to test it.
Now it´s time to wait for Sony to allow me to buy a PS5 =(

I didn't understand what was HDR or the point of it. Then I got an LG CX, and I got it. It was mindblowingly beautiful.

Hype intesifies !

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It is, but it's very dependant on your TV. Get a TV with low nits or poor contrast and HDR will look bad. This is why there's such a difference in opinions about HDR, because of each TV the user has.

JumiElazul

Apr 4, 2020
It's double.

But yes, HDR is great.

I believe he just means four times the pixel count.

On the subject of HDR, when it is implemented well it looks game changing. It's just a shame that there are still many TVs that are technically "HDR Capable" that don't have enough brightness to make it worthwhile. Seeing HDR on a proper HDR display, when a game has spent the time to implement it is jaw-dropping.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 + Hivebusters look fucking wild in HDR and the PC integration is perfect. Give them a crack if you haven't already.

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
I don't know if the versions are equal, but crackdown 3 HDR is very good on series, it is on gamepass. My showpieces are Gran Turismo Sport, crackdown 3 and "clean house" mission on modern warfare, the NV googles are amazing. I agree on resolution too, HDR was the most noticeable upgrade for me!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HDR truly is incredible and not at all overhyped IF you have a quality HDR display.

But yeah, it's crazy. Going back to an SDR image looks so flat and lacking of immersiveness.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Even just on paper its obvious, its utterly nuts that this tech has doubters. Easily the most important display technology since since the last time the gamut grew, with the introduction of color TVs.

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
HDR done well looks incredible but man some games have shitty implementations, especially some Auto HDR titles on Xbox. If the game is blinding and straining the whole time I just assume the HDR is bad and turn it off for that game.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I can't see shit when inside a building and the only light is what's coming in through the windows and have to up the contrast. Hopefully implementation will improve.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The jump from 1080p to 4k was far more noticeable to me but HDR is neat.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It can be really amazing. When it's really good I get little snippets of "this is real" in my brain the same way that I do from VR.

I always think there is another crisp and clean property to the image when something is in HDR. I can never put my finger on it exactly , but I always see it. That might be the wider Colour gamut and the increase in bit depth - I think I experience this more in video than I do in games

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It really is something. I remember calibrating both the SDR and HDR back when i first got my x930e a fee years ago. I watched the same scenes on both in blade runner 2049 and literally could not believe i had been watching in SDR.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any youtube videos that show off HDR really well?

I would love to have a visual reference so I can turn hdr on and off and really see the differences.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there were actual standards being followed, instead of some bullshit hdr brightness level stuff. Ain't got time for "hdr" tvs and monitors that have some peak brightness of 200.

Still don't care too much for 4k. Need that 1440@144 goodness, with hdr on top.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You won't get the same deep blacks, contrast or color accuracy on a LED.

which doesn't mean it would be bad on a LED, just not as good, but still good, still a big difference of totally no having 4K and no HDR.. And you get the extra brightness that can help depending your room.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I would like to add the the experience someone will have with HDR is highly dependent on the TV the content is played on. There are a lot of TVs marketed as being able to do HDR that will give you a very bad HDR experience. You need a TV with good HDR capabilities, and not all TVs are created equal on that front.

No, the jump from 1080p to 4K HDR is the biggest thing , LED or OLED. These LED TVs are really good nowadays.

I definitely agree with that!

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Going from LED to OLED will be just as big of an improvement.
Really happy with my TV to be honest. I was surprised how good it looks in total darkness. The way it handles blacks is so much better than my old LED. I'm using this TV as a desktop monitor as well and I absolutely couldn't deal with the burn-in risk.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Try out The Medium if you have Game Pass.
I played several hundreds HDR games in the last months, some really bad, some really good, but this one absolutely stunned me.
It has one if the most natural and most impressives lights I've ever seen in HDR. You can see that right at the beginning already in the house like in the kitchen or the workspace room.

It's so good it fucks with your brain.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I have a really hard time seeing the big deal about 4K/HDR..
But then again I don't have my 1080p side by side to compare, and have had a Samsung phone for years so maybe I am used to bright punchy colours.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt appreciate Great HDR until I invested in a quality high end TV. HDR has been absolutely amazing to view on my 930e, B7, and now CX OLED.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have a really hard time seeing the big deal about 4K/HDR..
But then again I don't have my 1080p side by side to compare, and have had a Samsung phone for years so maybe I am used to bright punchy colours.

HDR isn't about punchy colors, it's a more natural usage of colors, although the biggest difference isn't the colors displayed, but the selective brightness of the image displayed, which can make parts of the screen brighter than others, vs the whole screen being the same brightness like in SDR. This make highlighs (sun rays, lasers, fire...whatever you may think that cause a brigther image) pop much more, and look more realistic.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
It turns out it depends on your settings and the content...

like when I switched to a 4K HDR tv, Cyberpunk 2077 looked objectively worse than on my 1080p non-HDR set. The image was completely washed out.

I turned to the internet for help and they gave me some setting in game to fix it, but it doesn't look any better than the non-HDR version of the game to me.

4 days in I'm still waiting to find some HDR content I have access to that wows me on my new TV.

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I can´t wait to see the light too lol
After more than 10 years rocking my Panasonic Full HD I finally made the move and got a LG CX.
It´s scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I already downloaded some of the most recomended games on my PS4 to test it.
Now it´s time to wait for Sony to allow me to buy a PS5 =(

Hype intesifies !
You got a CX! Congrats! Easily was as big of a visual upgrade as the next gen consoles and 4K. You're getting beautiful HDR, infinite contrast, and true blacks. You're in for a treat! Check out the picture optimization thread on era when you get your TV.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
You won't get the same deep blacks, contrast or color accuracy on a LED.
giphy.gif

One of the key advantages over brighter LED TVs is that they are able to maintain saturation in highlights much more accurately than OLED. As the image gets brighter, OLEDs rely more on the white subpixels and lose color saturation. So, LEDs are more accurate in these instances.

Edit: Though to be fair, it's the opposite with dark parts of the image of course. OLED maintains color volume better at low brightness than LED. So it comes down to what you want to be more accurate, dark areas and shadows or bright areas and highlights. :D