• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my bad, she was a historian??? Why didn't they portray that in the trailer?!?!?! That fixes everything.

Don't be obtuse.

In terms of team utility, yes she was.
Her role was better fleshed out and more undestandable than either Wiig or McCarthys were, who were nebulous "scientists" that didn't really do much science.
the only one of the team with a more fleshed out role justifying her presence was McKinnon as engineer.

Nov 1, 2017
You mean this one

Where there's body crack jokes, Leslie being the only one who's not a scientist, the movie being made with 3 white females and 1 black female because of symmetry instead of doing its own thing? Leslie being the only one to yell straight into the camera. Could go on and on.

trailer was trash and almost racist

movie was mediocre

Go back and look at the Reddit comments when this movie was announced, or when the cast visited a children's hospital before a trailer had even come out, or when the first promo picture was released. People were geared up to hate this LOOOONG before that shitty trailer came out.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he means this one

The most historically disliked video or whatever comes from the trailer, not that teaser
People were geared up to hate this LOOOONG before that shitty trailer came out.
SOME people. A small subset of assholes that will dislike anything regarding women. The fact that movie came out, is mediocre and people still insist on it having to do with sexism is balogny though. And the trailers were definitely still trash and like I said, almost racist regarding Leslie's character

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You mean this one

Where there's body crack jokes, Leslie being the only one who's not a scientist, the movie being made with 3 white females and 1 black female because of symmetry instead of doing its own thing? Leslie being the only one to yell straight into the camera. Could go on and on.

trailer was trash and almost racist

movie was mediocre

Do you know what teaser means?

That's a trailer

This teaser has a ridiculous down vote ratio

Incidentally you call the movie mediocre but the trailer you posted is literally the most downvoted trailer in YouTube history... impressive achievement.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
What a waste of a great cast. I thought this would be Kate McKinnon's breakout role but nope.
And I like Feig, Spy and The Heat are great, I don't know what happened but this film was a complete dud.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The most historically disliked video or whatever comes from the trailer, not that teaser

Yeah I got the numbers mixed up but my point is that teaser has almost double the amount of downvotes than upvotes. Before anyone saw anything.

And like compare your trailer with it's 1 million + downvotes to almost any other comparable big number trailer. You'll find that the level of downvotes is completely unheard of. In fact most "bad movies" still have more likes than dislikes on youtube.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because he heard that there was a lot of improv and ad-libbing in the original Ghostbusters (most of which came from Bill Murray). But the difference here is that Ivan Reitman didn't just go "yeah, that's funny, add it in" to every single one of the ad-libs like Feig seemed to do. That really took away a lot of the suspense and ruined much of the comedic timing for me. In fact, the funniest moments in the original didn't have a lot of dialogue if any at all.

I remember seeing an interview with Feig and Katie Dippold (the head writer), and Feig was gushing about all the improv he was letting the actresses do, and there was just this look of dull contempt in the writer's eyes, like she was pissed at him for taking her script and barely using any of it. I imagine there's a lot more to it than just that, but man...that movie was just...

Like, I do improv. It's one of my jobs. I get how it's fun. But one of the things about ad-libs is that most of them aren't very good, and they are rarely as good as an actual written, tested, rehearsed line. Half the appeal of improv is the knowledge that the actors are making it up on the spot, and in an edited film that's a lot less appealing when it leads to such brilliant jokes as Melissa McCarthy complaining about the amount of won-tons in her Chinese food order for three minutes three separate times throughout a film.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You said historic and that's not the video you're talking about. If you wanted to say that the teaser was disliked, yeah sure but this is the video that made headlines.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-is-disliked-movie-trailer-889114

You're right like I said I got them mixed up but like fact remains the ratio is there from before anything was seen and then it was the most disliked trailer on youtube... that doesn't happen just because it;'s bad, which was always my point.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know what teaser means?

That's a trailer

This teaser has a ridiculous down vote ratio

Incidentally you call the movie mediocre but the trailer you posted is literally the most downvoted trailer in YouTube history... impressive achievement.

Regardless of all that nonsense, it just wasn't a very good movie. We've been over and over this and it's kinda irrelevant to the OP.

I'm not sure why some people refuse to accept that a lot of folks just thought it wasn't funny. Are we all sexists then? I've never set eyes on the trailers and gladly gave it a chance to impress, but it's frankly quite shit, as the majority of posters in the thread have agreed.

Oct 25, 2017
AVGN having that opinion and voicing it was fine but I think he pissed a lot of people off with the way he did it. Making a big point to announce "I am NOT going to see this movie" came off as dog whistling to a lot of people
Are you serious right now? I can't believe you're justifying the harassment he got. Come on, man.

The guy has covered practically every piece of Ghostbusters media under the sun. He's done multiple episodes on old school Ghostbuster games. He's vlogged about the Xbox360 game. He's vlogged about the Real Ghostbusters. It would be weird of him to not comment on the new film without providing a reason and his comments were a jumping off point to talk about the crazy development history Ghostbusters 3 was in over the years and why it ultimately lead to the reboot.

They should have adapted Extreme Ghostbusters into a movie.

egb_ep_deadliners.jpg

Fuck yeah. Everyone should stop what they're doing and go watch the Deadliners episode and wonder how the hell this made it to children's television.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's just crazy how much I hated this movie because I love all the directors other stuff Especially spy

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite possibly the most aggressively unfunny film I've ever seen

Chris Hemsworth's character is insultingly bad compared to Janine

Just absolute trash in every regard.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got the numbers mixed up but my point is that teaser has almost double the amount of downvotes than upvotes. Before anyone saw anything.

And like compare your trailer with it's 1 million + downvotes to almost any other comparable big number trailer. You'll find that the level of downvotes is completely unheard of. In fact most "bad movies" still have more likes than dislikes on youtube.
Like I said, I agree that there's a subset of assholes that will dislike anything regarding women. My point is that the movie has come out. Was mediocre. and that's really it. (most) Poeple who dislike it aren't sexist.

The trailer that came out handled Leslie's character awfully. The movie handled her character ok, although she is still the only member who is not a scientist because she's "New York black female." It's a shame because her character in the movie is actually the only one I liked who I could see as a real human being. She reacted to events like a normal person would and not some movie character

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I still can't get over how bad this film was.

They wasted a great cast - I would have loved to see them have another shot with a different script and direction.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of all that nonsense, it just wasn't a very good movie. We've been over and over this and it's kinda irrelevant to the OP.

I'm not sure why some people refuse to accept that a lot of folks just thought it wasn't funny. Are we all sexists then? I've never set eyes on the trailers and gladly gave it a chance to impress, but it's frankly quite shit, as the majority of posters in the thread have agreed.

Brah....

The point was someone was basically acting like sexism had no factor. So talk to them. But I see we're at the talking about the sexism is calling everyone who dislikes the movie sexist stage of the ouroboros

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of team utility, yes she was.
Her role was better fleshed out and more undestandable than either Wiig or McCarthys were, who were nebulous "scientists" that didn't really do much science.
the only one of the team with a more fleshed out role justifying her presence was McKinnon as engineer.

So to your point, they could have made Leslie a "scientist" as well and it wouldn't have changed anything? If Wiig or McCarthy were just nebulous "scientists", then why was Leslie excluded? Why not fully deviate from the racist tropes of the original movie? Why advertise that to me as a POC and get upset when I reject it? I'm not going to pay money to see that BS, hoping that it was just misdirection or that her character magically would have more depth.

Ernie Hudson said:
"The night before filming begins, however, I get this new script and it was shocking. The character was gone. Instead of coming in at the very beginning of the movie, like page 8, the character came in on page 68 after the Ghostbusters were established. His elaborate background was all gone, replaced by me walking in and saying, "If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say." So that was pretty devastating."

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I agree that there's a subset of assholes that will dislike anything regarding women. My point is that the movie has come out. Was mediocre. and that's really it. (most) Poeple who dislike it aren't sexist.

The trailer that came out handled Leslie's character awfully. The movie handled her character ok, although she is still the only member who is not a scientist because she's "New York black female." It's a shame because her character in the movie is actually the only one I liked who I could see as a real human being. She reacted to events like a normal person would and not some movie character

You basically rejected that sexism could have poisoned the well ... that's what you were replying to.

Actually scratch that, you just decided unprompted to laugh at anyone who thought sexism played a factor. So yeah.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So to your point, they could have made Leslie a "scientist" as well and it wouldn't have changed anything? If Wiig or McCarthy were just nebulous "scientists", then why was Leslie excluded? Why not fully deviate from the racist tropes of the original movie? Why advertise that to me as a POC and get upset when I reject it? I'm not going to pay money to see that BS, hoping that it was just misdirection or that her character magically would have more depth.

So three useless shitty "scientists" not doing anything to advance the plot would be better than two? Okay.
Literally nobody was walking away from that movie going "Damn, McCarthy and Wiig scienced the shit outta that."
Noboy was leaving going "Man, I really under appreciate what scientists do!".

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to see the movie Katie wrote. It must be better than this ad-libbed piece of garbage that they ended up releasing.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Brah....

The point was someone was basically acting like sexism had no factor. So talk to them. But I see we're at the talking about the sexism is calling everyone who dislikes the movie sexist stage of the ouroboros

You came into the thread and hopped on that angle, when most people were just discussing whether they enjoyed the movie or not. The YouTube stats are irrelevant. Everyone knows that there was a lot of sexist shit talked about this movie, so you're not making any points that haven't already been discussed at length.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You basically rejected that sexism could have poisoned the well ... that's what you were replying to.

Actually scratch that, you just decided unprompted to laugh at anyone who thought sexism played a factor. So yeah.
Actually what I said was
Can't believe people are still saying sexism caused it to fail
Because some people made up their minds before hand, it doesn't stop the actual movie from getting real bad reviews from people who just didn't like it for all the reasons that have already been listed.

Look at Wonder Woman. Movie got great reviews and killed at the box office. There were definitely people shitting on that movie before it came out.

Edit: Don't know where I laughed. Do you disagree that the movie was discriminatory towards Leslie Jones?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You came into the thread and hopped on that angle, when most people were just discussing whether they enjoyed the movie or not. The YouTube stats are irrelevant. Everyone knows that there was a lot of sexist shit talked about this movie, so you're not making any points that haven't already been discussed at length.

What?

No I didn't.

In fact I never brought it up other than in replies to others dismissing it.

I had fun dunno. Each to their own.

Its biggest flaw was having a 150 million dollar budget jfc.

A 150 million dollar comedy.

I loved it but yeah 150 million is ridic

The movie did semi ok if you ignore budget... which you can't granted but it was always doomed at 150 mill budget

Ehhh the literal teaser which showed literally no footage was one of the most downvoted YouTube videos in history.

The very first teaser which showed literally nothing was downvoted in historic levels.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico

Yeah, it was widely discussed at the time that it was a funny coincidence that things starred by or aimed at women were the most downvoted content on youtube back then. (Have not checked if it still applies, but I remember IMDB user ratings also similarly affected in regards to content perceived as for men vs for women)

See, that's why it became impossible to discuss the movie properly back then, and maybe even today. Poisoned well indeed.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a "bad" movie, just painfully average. Most of the movie is the cast trying to be as zany as possible and missing the mark 90% of the time.

The most egregious thing about it was none of it felt like it was actually in New York.

There's nothing more "New York City" than gathering around a big delicious Papa John's pizza.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Because some people made up their minds before hand, it doesn't stop the actual movie from getting real bad reviews from people who just didn't like it for all the reasons that have already been listed.

Look at Wonder Woman. Movie got great reviews and killed at the box office. There were definitely people shitting on that movie before it came out.

Edit: Don't know where I laughed. Do you disagree that the movie was discriminatory towards Leslie Jones?

Discriminatory? I wouldn't fight anyone who feels that way for sure. A wasted opportunity to change representation absolutely. The shitty thing is Feig had planned to do so, but changed his mind when he decided he wanted to cast McCarthy against her type. That said Jones also ended up being the best part of the movie alongside McKinnon but it was definitely shitty stereotype casting.

Wonder Woman didn't even have half the vitriol GB 2016 did, reminder the 4 were shat on vocally for visiting sick children in costume.... long before even that teaser.

Sorry I thought there was an lol in that initial post. My mistake. You did just outright act like sexism didn't play a factor and imply that it was ridiculous for anyone to think it did though. It's impossible to know because literally talking about GB 2016 was one of them most toxic things period. The well had been poisoned for ages and I think it definitely hurt it, now granted you';re right had it been bettero verall it might have overcome it, but reminder it was just a mediocre film (that I happened to love) , but the way people talk about it you think it was the worst movie ever. Even then what doomed it was the 150 million dollar budget.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was widely discussed at the time that it was a funny coincidence that things starred by or aimed at women were the most downvoted content on youtube back then. (Have not checked if it still applies, but I remember IMDB user ratings also similarly affected in regards to content perceived as for men vs for women)

See, that's why it became impossible to discuss the movie properly back then, and maybe even today. Poisoned well indeed.

It's almost impossible to really determine what impact it had, the movie not being undeniably good didn't help either... but I don't think it is ridiculous or unfair or unbelievable that many folks do think it was significantly hurt by the toxic sexist backlash that followed that film for like the 1-2 years it was in production and a promotion.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
So three useless shitty "scientists" not doing anything to advance the plot would be better than two? Okay.
Literally nobody was walking away from that movie going "Damn, McCarthy and Wiig scienced the shit outta that."
Noboy was leaving going "Man, I really under appreciate what scientists do!".

It's OK if you don't get it. And I have absolutely zero desire to change your mind. As a father of a young girl, the optics of things like this matter to me. I found it unappetizing and refused to support the film monetarily.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Its biggest flaw was having a 150 million dollar budget jfc.

A 150 million dollar comedy.

I loved it but yeah 150 million is ridic

I don't know who thought Ghostbusters would work as a summer blockbuster. The concept of Ghostbusters, both the original and 2016, is that they're more akin to exterminators instead of action heroes.

Watching them jump around while wearing bulky proton packs was just dumb visually.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
No doubt the mysoginistic campaign harmed the film by a not-insignificant amount...

But that doesn't make the film any better than it is. And it's not very good on its own merits.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who thought Ghostbusters would work as a summer blockbuster. The concept of Ghostbusters, both the original and 2016, is that they're more akin to exterminators instead of action heroes.

Watching them jump around while wearing bulky proton packs was just dumb visually.

Counter point the best scene in the movie was Kate McKinnon and her dual wields.

But i also agree overall.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to like it and support it because of the hate it got just for existing, but I couldn't do it.
Yeah. It didn't deserve the hate it got from people that just thought the "idea" of an all female Ghostbusters was sacrilegious, but most criticisms it got by those that watched the movie and disliked it are pretty spot on.

Just didn't find the bulk of it funny or interesting, especially the line-o-rama/"dwelling on jokes/""refusing to let a joke die" schtick. The cast deserved BETTER.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest flaw was not the budget. The biggest flaw was everything about how the film was executed. Just a shitfest from beginning to end.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a bunch when it first came out, the extended BluRay cut is better though. It fills in some weird blanks in the story and has some different jokes in spots.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was as good as any other reboot film. The only reason it got so much shit was because of sexism.

Not true at all. It got so much shit because it was a terrible movie.

I went in as a huge fan of Feig and the actresses. It was probably the worst movie going experience I've ever had. It was painfully unfunny.

Other reboots are just as bad or worse (the Chips movie comes to mind), but there have been far far better reboots such as 21 Jump Street

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Went in super excited, hated every aspect of it by the end. Terrible movie.

This. I wanted to like it, but in the end the movie was so bad that I wouldn't even watch it again If I was on a 12 h flight and had no other form of entertainment available to me. I'd rather browse the duty free catalog tbh

No doubt the mysoginistic campaign harmed the film by a not-insignificant amount...

But that doesn't make the film any better than it is. And it's not very good on its own merits.

Great point. Mysoginistic campaigns don't work if the movie is decent. The Ghostbuster remake didn't give anybody any counterarguments to defend it online against Milo Y. and other alt-righters.

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the dialogue surrounding the movie was that it was utter trash a month before the first reviews were even out. Minds were already made up.
That whole situation with negative comments in that trailer video was overblown. They were a very small percentage. I watched it and didn't find it funny at all, that's why I never bothered.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the movie was fine. I don't get the utter contempt some have for it. The sexists/misogynists hating on the film sure? Everyone else? Nope.

I really liked McKinnon and Leslie Jones in their roles. Otherwise it was very meh. Similar to the Robocop reboot.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
The problem was certainly not the cast, who have all proven themselves to be absolutely incredible. It was Paul Feig running his set like a fucking improv class instead of bringing strong ideas and writing and vision to the table. "At a certain point I had to just let the actors take over" was a quote of his I remember. No you didn't, Paul. You didn't have to do that at all. Because actors with no direction are going to just toss off cheap gags that work in the moment -- puns, dancing, rambling awkwardly about something "in character."

I once heard Seinfeld describe how he hated when comedies would have scenes that forgot to have a funny premise. "Why are we at the DMV?" "Oh because we need to set up that he knows this thing..." No, the entire reason that scene is taking place needs to be funny. That's what caring about a comedy script looks like. "Let's have them kinda hang around the office and one of them will say something naughty or awkward or gross" does not cut it.

It's a shame because each of the cast members separately have absolutely slayed it in other work, and they have worked together brilliantly and shown they have chemistry. So there's really no one to blame but Paul Feig.