• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
So one of the first things I did when I opened my brand new shiny Series S console was download every single Gears game. I had always known of the series, and dabbled in it in the past, but I haven't owned a 360 in at least a decade, and skipped the One. Naturally, this only caused my curiosity in the franchise to grow exponentially over the years.

I know this series is mostly played for its multiplayer, but I'm just going to focus on the campaigns for now.

Right now I've just finished Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.

apps.61912.69532564638932155.331b9e13-8155-40cb-90bf-3f4a531a32b0.036eb523-b709-400e-98bd-078aabb6ad5c

Pros:

+Unique world design. I like how it doesn't take place on Earth, and how this technically alien planet has its own history, technology, and vibe to it.

+Super nostalgic mid 00's feelings came flooding back to me playing the campaign. Back to a time when "cover shooter" wasn't a genre yet (it was just this game) and the over the shoulder camera had only ever really been done in Resident Evil 4 before. Having lived through that time, what was old was new again.

+The updated graphics and cutscene direction were noticeable even for someone like me, who had only ever played half the campaign before, and only once back in 2006.

+I love the weapons, particularly how heavy the grenades feel. I really feel like I'm lobbing this huge, lunking object at my enemies, and it's really satisfying.

+Everything is super big and bulky and it appeals to the dumb caveman monkey inside of me. I like big armor and big guns. I shred enemies with my chainsaw gun. I stomp hard when I run. FEEL GOOD!

gearsult1.jpg

+Story is decently interesting, I mostly like the dynamic between the different members of Delta Squad.

Cons:

-The writing is even more juvenile in 2020. Marcus Fenix is what every trash talking, Mountain Dew guzzling bro gamer wishes they were. The characters are essentially football bros with guns in a fantasy universe. One of them is even literally a former football player. The "nerd" character is constantly made fun of. Sometimes this is amusing, but as my brother once wisely told me when critiquing these games, "it's funny, but to them, it's not a joke" which really resonated with me. The game is not as self aware as it should be.

gears-ue-genre-defining-multiplayer-5e72830d6ccac-1024x576.jpg

-Campaign design is definitely dated. This was one of the first HD games to ever exist, so I give it some passes, but what was once technically impressive is now old and clunky. You can definitely feel how "vanilla" the cover and shoot gameplay is compared to newer games of this type.

-The campaign starts off pretty strong and stays strong until about the rainy factory level (Act III), but after that it gets kind of same-y until the very end on the train. All the brown and grey destroyed urban environments start to wear thin after a while.

gears_of_war_ultimate_edition_xbox_one_-_digital_code.jpg

-The game is basically the poster boy for brown and grey PS3/360 gen overcompensation for realism. Everything is mud or rust colored and it's kind of depressing.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with it, but I wish I had played it co-op, because the AI Dom is dumb as fuck. I was also reminded how this is essentially the game that heralded in the dudebro shootbang 360 gamer culture, and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth no matter how much fun I'm having, because I know if I had hopped on multiplayer when this was popular I would have jumped right into the middle of that mess.

Will return with my impressions of the games to follow.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Playing through this right now as well (also first time) and your thoughts pretty much match mine.

Surprised you didn't mention the roadie run + camera shake. I just avoid running now, the camera shake is sickening.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Playing through this right now as well (also first time) and your thoughts pretty much match mine.

Surprised you didn't mention the roadie run + camera shake. I just avoid running now, the camera shake is sickening.
Thankfully the camera shake is lessened as the series goes on (with the option to completely disable it in gears 5).

I really love the characters in the gears universe. The games get a lot of talk for being dudebro nonsense, but there is quite a bit of heart in them, especially as the series progresses.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If you liked the first one then you're in for a treat. 2 and especially heavily improved in almost every way. Especially 3 got lots of colors.
Gears id my favorite series and I love it to death but even I skip the first one when replaying them

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Agree with pretty much everything OP. Loved this series back in the day and I'm also going through the entirety of the original trilogy on Series S with a friend. Got 3/5 of the way through Gears 3 tonight after beating the first two last week.

It's definitely a trip down memory lane and it's crazy how much better the games when it comes to mixing up the gameplay with new weapon/enemies and a lot more variety in locales.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Gears 2 and Gears 3 are each pretty substantial leaps over the prior game across basically every category (looks better, plays better, designed better, written better, slowly gets more self-aware). You're in for a treat with those. 4 and 5 are good, but feel more incremental overall the lore has gotten to the "let's just do things again" stage.

Judgment blows.

asyamov

Jun 21, 2020
I recently started playing the series as well and I'm shocked how it holds up, still a very fine game!
And like with Halo I was surprised to see that it's actually quite dark and more of a horror game at times.
Also I didn't know the Ultimate edition exists so I've been playing the 360 version! Not enhanced at all but apart from the muddy colors not bad looking at all.

If y'all saying it gets even better with the sequels I wonder what happened to the series! Seems to me that Gears is not touted as the game series for which you should buy an Xbox.
Especially now with the story DLC.. why are they not shouting this from the rooftops? "Look, more content for this awesome series, looks great on your console, only on Xbox!(and pc)".

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 1 has not aged extremely well (aside from the core gameplay) but I replay the first 3 games every couple of years, they truly are something special and a reminder of the times where Xbox actually had exclusives that made it hard to decide whether to buy a PlayStation or an Xbox if you couldn't afford both.

The story in particular gets much, much better in 2 and 3. The leap in visuals won't be as apparent when you're going from the Ultimate Edition to vanilla Gears 2, but at the time it really was a giant upgrade.

Maybe it's because I'm not American and I never witnessed the dudebro/football culture first-hand, but I never had a problem with the way the characters are portrayed, even in Gears 1. I mean, it's not like Uncharted had interesting, three-dimensional characters at the time and yet I never see people mocking that game. It's just a silly rooty-tooty-point-and-shooty game and it doesn't have an obligation to be anything else.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Oh how I wish they would put 2 3 and judgment on PC

Because I damn well expected it after the PC version of Ultimate

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I really need to replay Gears 3. Love this series but my highpoint was definitely Gears 2 (meaning that's when I spent the most time playing those games). I bet Gears 3 looks great on Series X, it's so colorful!
It's amazing to look at how inclusive the series became over time.
Also, yeah, 100% this. And I love it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're ok but the gameplay didn't live up to RE4 to me from the outset (3rd person shooters rarely do). I grew to like the characters more than I did originally. They're simple and kinda macho but endearing. I didn't like Gears 2 but I've been pecking at it the past year or so and it's better than I first thought (but didn't compare to RE5 for me at the time, lol).

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I miss when this saga was, like you said, pure ubermacho fantasy/parody. It walked on a extremely thin line but it was so good.

Never played the One entries but they seem to be something really far away from that feeling. Gears 5 trailer looked like a Sundance over pretentious movie.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 1 is my favorite one and that rain level where you descend is my favorite Gears level. Just so atmospheric.

Nov 8, 2017
On reflection, though, even before they started having women as Gears in 3 it was racially quite diverse from the beginning. So maybe the seed was always there.

This is probably incidental in the sense that it's going for a cast of badasses straight out of a movie like Predator. Everyone is super jacked and muscular, most of the cast are foul mouthed, the leader is a white guy but the squad is visually and ethnically diverse etc, people in the squad are constantly shittalking each other but the leader is mostly professional, etc.

A lot of videogame sensibilities were obtained through this kind of cargo-cult worship of 80's and 90's action movies.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I never thought the first Gears game was a macho fantasy or something, I never thought they showed any character to be super cool or something, just regular people with muscles.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I miss when this saga was, like you said, pure ubermacho fantasy/parody. It walked on a extremely thin line but it was so good.

Never played the One entries but they seem to be something really far away from that feeling. Gears 5 trailer looked like a Sundance over pretentious movie.
I played a few chapters of Gears 4 and it's definitely still ubermacho. Particularly the level where you meet Marcus again.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Gears 1 & 2 were excellent, Gears 3 really good, 4 and 5 mediocre.

The colourful world doesn't fit with Gears, and the new cast has 0 charm.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
They're ok but the gameplay didn't live up to RE4 to me from the outset (3rd person shooters rarely do). I grew to like the characters more than I did originally. They're simple and kinda macho but endearing. I didn't like Gears 2 but I've been pecking at it the past year or so and it's better than I first thought (but didn't compare to RE5 for me at the time, lol).

I have never, ever understood this comparison. In nearly every conceivable design element beyond the camera perspective Resi 4 and Gears are wildly different games. I can understand liking one more than the other of course, but I never understood why they were ever compared.

Gears 1 is my favorite one and that rain level where you descend is my favorite Gears level. Just so atmospheric.

It really does drip atmosphere and was visually impressive at the time.

I highly recommend playing the campaign co-op.

One thing missing from the OP. One of the reason Halo and Gears have been so timeless is that they are among the greatest coop experiences available on console.

I've played through all the campaigns (bar judgement) multiple times with the same few friends for years. They're just excellent.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have never, ever understood this comparison. In nearly every conceivable design element beyond the camera perspective Resi 4 and Gears are wildly different games. I can understand liking one more than the other of course, but I never understood why they were ever compared.
Probably because they were in the same genre of third person shooting. Gears popularized cover shooting while RE4 never popularized stop 'n' pop (Gears was almost an abstraction or evolution of that concept - altho cover shooting was done before). But that's besides the point of that fact that, at the time, I felt I'd experienced nothing particularly special in Gears and felt I'd experienced better before. Later I kind of grew to appreciate Gears' approach.

Last edited:

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Would love a gears 1-3 remake in UE5. I think Gears 5 was excellent gameplay and graphically, and I didn't hate the story or characters but I didn't love them either. The big choice felt so randomly shoved in for shock value.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I played a few chapters of Gears 4 and it's definitely still ubermacho. Particularly the level where you meet Marcus again.

That scene where JD meets Marcus again, is a boy and his father who obviously have a fractured relationship, and you go on to intimate that it's a combination of Marcus not really being able to express his feelings or nurture his son after the war, as well as psychological fallout from fighting in that war for years, and not knowing what to do with himself afterward.

You encounter him sitting alone in the guest house of his own estate, in the dark with a drink, watching security cameras. He has all of his old war gear ready to go just in case, and admits to some people later in the game that he "missed" the Locust, in a weird way.

Marcus also develops a psudeo-fatherly relationship with Kait, that he shows in little ways over Gears 4 and 5, and which JD quietly kinda resents her for.

A lot of people have trouble looking past the incredibly muscular, chunky, gruff aesthetic of the games, to see how the storytelling and characterization actually evolved over the years. The signature weapon is still also a chainsaw, and Marcus still sounds like he gargles hot gravel and swears a lot, so the games are just "macho".

The original Gears of War I would absolutely characterize as a "macho" game, with an extremely simple plot of squat bodybuilder war guys fighting monster men. But the games got smarter and more layered as they went on, like a lot of series.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably incidental in the sense that it's going for a cast of badasses straight out of a movie like Predator. Everyone is super jacked and muscular, most of the cast are foul mouthed, the leader is a white guy but the squad is visually and ethnically diverse etc, people in the squad are constantly shittalking each other but the leader is mostly professional, etc.

A lot of videogame sensibilities were obtained through this kind of cargo-cult worship of 80's and 90's action movies.
Sort of agree, but then there's also representation in Minh which was not aligned with that. Although he was voiced but a white guy...

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I played them all (except Judgement) back to back just before Gears 5. They get better with each entry.

I did play the first Act or two of the original back when it came out, and it made an impression for sure. I had it in the back of my mind for over a decade that I had to go back and finish it. I'm glad I did but after playing so many games that have iterated on the formula in the intervening years, the Gears franchise isn't as impressive as it once was.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Im sorry to disagree but its a totally different tone. Gears 4 is comic book macho while Gears 1 is VHS blockbuster.

JD in Gears 4 is basically of the typical Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Nathan Drake mold - the quippy smart-ass whose heart is in the right place, and always manages to survive the impossible.

Your comparison of the older games as more of a "VHS Blockbuster" tone, is a pretty good one.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Beside first time I tried 3D in Super Mario 64, Gears was my first HD experience and I was blown away. Very found memory playing the campaign with my brother. The hype I had from GoW2 trailer was all time high

Horde mode was so fun. Got burned on it but some day hope to replay them

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the 80's action movie feel of the first game in particular. Very reminiscent of something like Aliens or Predator. Some of the dialogue isn't great by modern standards but I replayed the game before Gears 4 and still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Love Gears, too bad 4 and 5 are not as good as the classics. I even enjoyed Judgment a lot more than the new ones.

I thought Gears 4 was "serviceable but safe", however I thought the Gears 5 campaign was great - my only major complaint was what seemed like a missing chapter in the story between Act 2 and 3, to explain a sudden change in a couple of characters.

Gears 5's problem was that the multiplayer half of the game was pretty much actively on fire for months.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I love 1-3 back in the day, wasn't a fan of 4 and I'm really struggling to play 5.

I waited to play 5 until I got the Series X and whilst it looks incredible I'm just pretty bored of it now.

Not sure if I'm going to continue or just move on to something else.

Long Drong

Oct 27, 2017
JD in Gears 4 is basically of the typical Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Nathan Drake mold - the quippy smart-ass whose heart is in the right place, and always manages to survive the impossible.

Your comparison of the older games as more of a "VHS Blockbuster" tone, is a pretty good one.

That trope works with charismatic characters

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Probably because they were in the same genre of third person shooting. Gears popularized cover shooting while RE4 never popularized stop 'n' pop (Gears was almost an abstraction of evolution of that concept - altho cover shooting was done before). But that's besides the point of that fact that, at the time, I felt I'd experienced nothing particularly special in Gears and felt I'd experienced better before. Later I kind of grew to appreciate Gears' approach.

Again, I understand (to a degree) the superficial similarities in that they're both shooting from an over-the-shoulder perspective, but almost everything bout the way they're designed is anithtetical to one another.

Gears is a bombastic game that balances mobility agression and cover. Most of your weapons are huge, monstrous things and much of the campaign is designed to facilitate coop. Resi is slower, more deliberate shooting and the game's focu on ammo/item management and horror.

I wouldn't compare Devil May Cry and Dark Souls because they're both third person and have swords in them, they're just designed totally differently with whildly different objectives.

I never understood why they were compared back then, and even less so now. (Again, not disagreeing with your experience of preferring Resi4 overall)

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Aren't the humans basically the bad guys in this series but the games show no indication that they understand this? That's the impression I got from reading plot impressions a decade ago; I've only ever played through the first level of the first game.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Again, I understand (to a degree) the superficial similarities in that they're both shooting from an over-the-shoulder perspective, but almost everything bout the way they're designed is anithtetical to one another.

Gears is a bombastic game that balances mobility agression and cover. Most of your weapons are huge, monstrous things and much of the campaign is designed to facilitate coop. Resi is slower, more deliberate shooting and the game's focu on ammo/item management and horror.

I wouldn't compare Devil May Cry and Dark Souls because they're both third person and have swords in them, they're just designed totally differently with whildly different objectives.

I never understood why they were compared back then, and even less so now. (Again, not disagreeing with your experience of preferring Resi4 overall)
I think Resident Evil 5 made the comparisons even worse, because both were over the shoulder co-op campaigns.

I really think it's just as simple as both games having the same camera, and both games being shooters, and both games being slightly horror based, and the lack of games like this at the time. But mostly the camera.

I agree that they shouldn't be compared, because they really aren't similar at all outside of superficial similarities, but I can see why people did so at the time.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game was such a spectacular in gaming. Loved playing it but the last chapter on the train was really weak. The final boss too.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Aren't the humans basically the bad guys in this series but the games show no indication that they understand this? That's the impression I got from reading plot impressions a decade ago; I've only ever played through the first level of the first game.

No. The Coalition of Ordered Governments are portrayed as being a military dictatorship of sorts, but as Gears 1 starts with you already in the thick of the war with the Locust, it's just a fact that kinda sits in the background for most of the first three games.

The Gears themselves mostly don't comment on any of it, though there's the odd line here or there where they make it clear they aren't thrilled with the COG. When you're in a desperate fight against an existential threat, it just doesn't matter that much. But if you dig into the lore, it's pretty obvious that the COG aren't "good guys" in that universe - read up about the Hammer strikes, or the Pendulum Wars.

Gears 4 and 5 start to dig a bit more directly into the COG, and the political landscape of Sera.

It's not all that dissimilar from the Halo universe, really. The United Earth Government (and even the UNSC) aren't exactly paragons of virtue, based on the lore that has been added over the years about what was happening before the war with the Covenant. The Spartan-II program itself that creates the Master Chief, was basically unambiguously evil.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing this on a CRT monitor because that was the only HD device we had. It truly was next gen and a mind blowing jump from the previous consoles and even coming from PC. Still a very unique AAA title and series that nobody really competes with. The PvP is incredible and there really is nothing like it. Nothing beats blowing someone's head off with the sniper, blowing them up with the gnasher or gettting a sneaky stick with the torque bow or a frag greanade.

The early days of XBL was fantastic too, this game had server lobbies so similar to PC you could join the same lobby every night lots of friends were made because there was no party chat.

Host advantage was ridiculous.

Bring back Cliffyb

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I think Resident Evil 5 made the comparisons even worse, because both were over the shoulder co-op campaigns.

I really think it's just as simple as both games having the same camera, and both games being shooters, and both games being slightly horror based, and the lack of games like this at the time. But mostly the camera.

I agree that they shouldn't be compared, because they really aren't similar at all outside of superficial similarities, but I can see why people did so at the time.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

The PvP is incredible and there really is nothing like it.

There's good reason the core formula has stayed so similar for five entries. It really is unique.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
The original game and trilogy is wonderful. Deep, multi-layered, cover-based gameplay, addictive multiplayer modes, cool campaigns, fun characters, etc.

It's the mos satisfying shooter on the market for me. Playing the series as it was released was a real joy.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Yeah pretty much. The COG is a military dictatorship that justifies crackdowns and dissenting voices because of a Locust invasion and it's need to "protect the people". Basically everyone outside of the COG has nothing good to say about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Gears Ultimate has the extra chapter from the PC version of the game and it was a cool thing to finally play it. But when I replayed it recently, that chapter really drags on and slows the game down quite a lot.

If I remember correctly, in the original game you escape the mansion and then it goes straight into the train level for the finale.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im also replaying the Gears series at the moment and just finished up the first game. All round its pretty much as great as I remember it, I do appreciate how chapter 5 is stretched out a bit more (it was so short in the 360 original version!)
Only issues I really had with it were:
Checkpoints triggering before short talking scenes etc. (basically it'd have been better if they'd checkpoined AFTER so that you didn't hear the same dialogue over and over)
Friendly AI is down right fucking moronic and will run into hordes of enemies to predictable results.
On one part right near the end of the game I was checkpointed where enemies would continually run straight toward me, if I didn't have the grenade launcher that bit would have been impossible since its an insanely narrow area and enemies rushing you is basically a death sentence.
Enemy AI sometimes broke and they'd just stand there in the open for some reason.
Game is only 30FPS in campaign mode (pleeeeeeeeeeeease patch it on the One X/Series X like Gears 4/5)

But those are minor issues really. The combat and cover systems feel really solid. Nothing more satisfying than using the torque bow or getting a headshot with the rifle. I'll move onto Gears 2 next.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I never got the grey/brown thing with regards to the original Gears of War. It looked phenomenal. Both in terms of art and tech.