• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Bioshock for 20 minutes, I couldn't help but uninstall it. For being in control of a hulking figure, you would think there would be a feeling of impact when you smack your enemy with the drill but there isn't. It literally threw off any chances of immersion with the game. Shooting the first gun you get also doesn't feel visceral or impactful.

Was anyone else thrown off with this game or any such related games?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Your funeral, OP. Gameplay-wise, Bioshock 2 is the best out of the three. Also, while you're not as hulking as the larger Big Daddy's, there is definitely still the feeling that you're playing as something bigger than a normal human, especially with the drill charge ability.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Bioshock 2 is pretty decent though. Not as good as the first game, but still a competently made sequel.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After playing Bioshock for 20 minutes, I couldn't help but uninstall it. For being in control of a hulking figure, you would think there would be a feeling of impact when you smack your enemy with the drill but there isn't. It literally threw off any chances of immersion with the game. Shooting the first gun you get also doesn't feel visceral or impactful.

Was anyone else thrown off with this game or any such related games?

I'm...pretty sure you're prob the only person who feels this way.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
BioShock 2 is the best game of the three. Both in story and gameplay. Sorry to hear you don't like it.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
The things you posted I can't say I had problems when I played but I have a lot more problems with the game than just those two.

To be perfectly honest I think Bioshock 2 is one of the worst sequels ever made.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also your enemies are fucking mutants, why would your puny bullets be VISCERAL or IMPACTFUL (good lord you sound like a dev trying to sell a game)

you need to upgrade your arsenal

and you are not even USING your drill yet

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I started playing Bioshock 2 immediately after the first one. Back then I was kinda tired of Rapture and the game felt like more of the same, so I didn't continue after the first hour or so.
But I always wanted to come back one day because a lot of people recommend the game.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
It's the worst game of the series and I only forced myself through it because I love the lore and world of bioshock

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my least favorite Bioshock of the three but still worth playing. The Minerva's Den DLC though is one of my favorite DLC of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
Found it pretty fun at the time.
I'd recommend playing a game at least an hour before deciding to drop it if you've already bought it.
Kind of like the 3 episode rule

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Gameplay-wise it's probably the best out of the three. The QoL changes from Bioshock felt very good to me.

Didn't like the plot though: HEY LOOK HERE'S A HITHERTO UNMENTIONED CHARACTER THAT APPARENTLY WAS A BIG BIG PLAYER IN RAPTURE AND HAD A HUGE FOLLOWING BUT NOBODY MENTIONED HER AT ALL IN THE FIRST GAME. AND LOOK, SHE'S LIKE ANDREW RYAN BUT IF RYAN WAS A COMMUNIST! It felt so... insincere. "Both sides"-ish

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys bioshock collection is worth it for 14$ on ps4 PRO? I have only played and loved bioshock 1 on ps3 which was horrible frame rate and iq.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gameplay-wise it's probably the best out of the three. The QoL changes from Bioshock felt very good to me.

Didn't like the plot though: HEY LOOK HERE'S A HITHERTO UNMENTIONED CHARACTER THAT APPARENTLY WAS A BIG BIG PLAYER IN RAPTURE AND HAD A HUGE FOLLOWING BUT NOBODY MENTIONED HER AT ALL IN THE FIRST GAME. AND LOOK, SHE'S LIKE ANDREW RYAN BUT IF RYAN WAS A COMMUNIST! It felt so... insincere. "Both sides"-ish

that happens in a lot of games tho

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I missed the feeling of a connected Rapture in Bioshock 1 over the segregated and linear zones of the sequel, but damn near everything else is on par or improved. OP is missing out.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018

Is there a problem with a setting like Rapture exploring multiple utopias at once? Is it really that crazy that a place which allowed unregulated experimentation might allow a person to use psychology as a means to reform human nature in the hopes of making a better society? BioShock 2's narrative was way more consistent with the themes of Rapture and BioShock 1 than people give it credit for.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Best playing, most flexible and fun Bioshock game. The rivet gun is a great weapon. I think you're thoroughly wrong, OP, but it's your call.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A damn shame, you're missing out on the best game in the series.
They're not. I didn't care for 2, never finished 1 (but good god that game was dripping with atmosphere) and are you ready for it ...

Like really ready for it?

I enjoyed the hell out of Infinite, thought it was easily the best one.
Jim-Halpert-Shrug-and-Leave-The-Office.gif

I guess opinions can be wrong.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Is there a problem with a setting like Rapture exploring multiple utopias at once? Is it really that crazy that a place which allowed unregulated experimentation might allow a person to use psychology as a means to reform human nature in the hopes of making a better society? BioShock 2's narrative was way more consistent with the themes of Rapture and BioShock 1 than people give it credit for.

not in theory, no. I just didn't think it was implemented well, to be honest.

Now, a caveat - the last time I played it was years ago, so my thoughts on the story and how it unfolds could quite possibly change once I play it again.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not. I didn't care for 2, never finished 1 (but good god that game was dripping with atmosphere) and are you ready for it ...

(vomits a little in the mouth)

i think that poster meant that people abandoned the game because of the drill lacking impact

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
*shrug*

You're not missing much. It's a decent game but it's the black sheep of the series for a reason. The creative spark just isn't there. It just sort of wallows around in the afterglow of the first game.

I don't recall the drill or the shooting being noteably unsatisfying, but then again it was 2010 and my standards were a lot lower back then.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
You can grab an enemy with Telekinesis and throw them at another enemy. You can launch yourself across a room and drill an enemy to death.

It's by far the best Bioshock game.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
You also missed out on Minerva's Den and the best combat of the three games. Man, Infinite was such a downgrade.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Bioshock 2 is the stepchild in the franchise; of course the OP would not be the only one who doesn't like it. What GLHFGodbless most probably meant is how the OP uninstalled the game under 20 minutes due to the drill and guns lacking impact.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I might mess with BioShock 2 again one day but honestly I don't know how I feel about it right now.

Back when it came out I didn't see the need to go back to Rapture, but maybe the first half or so of BioShock 2 actually did make a lot of sense, and the gameplay probably did feel more balanced as I was using a wider range of the game's tools. Maybe half or two-thirds of the way in though BioShock 2 honestly started to feel like fan service. The plot started to feel too derivative of other AAA shooters at the time.

That one DLC thing was dope though.

I'll have to go back and compare it to how I feel about older predecessors like System Shock 2. Like, just watching a short video of SS2 makes me want to play that game again. I also sometimes get the urge to replay BioShock 1 even though it feels like a severely cut-down version of SS2.

I don't know man. I've only played through each of the BioShock games once. I guess I should at least try those remastered versions.

Jan 11, 2018
The first 2/3 of Bioshock were great, and Infinite had it's moments of brilliance, but B2 was by far the most consistently good of the 3, if the "safest" of the bunch. I can't wait for the rumored new game... I'd love to revisit Columbia again, and hopefully they could again make a better version of Ken Levine's game. Or a whole new setting altogether would be cool too.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
That's too bad, I think it's the best of the Bioshock games.
Same!

OP were you playing with sound off or something? Because it certainly has impact, but you're not a weakling in a big suit. You are basically a hulk, and thus there won't be much resistance from you drill dashing into people. You just chew right threw them, sending their bodies careening back into whatever the nearest surface is.