• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Lame combat encounters, lame enemies, lame "story", lame characters.

The only thing that excited me in this game was one good 5 minute sequence and the Alan Wake references.

Game ends by the time you get enough powers upgraded for the combat itself to shine. But the encounter design and enemies are just woeful.

Great graphics though

No spoilers, but is there a pay off for the main story if I finish all the missions?
Nope.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I thought the consensus in the "bubble" was that it was one of the best games of 2019 and was the absolute opposite of generic, and unlike any video game ever released. Don't know who you were talking to to get that impression.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all should have read some of the threads up til the release.

A crow feasting never felt so satisfying

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favourite game of last year and liked it enough to get around to playing through Alan Wake and American Nightmare recently for reasons. Gonna hit up the the next DLC soon (distracted by Demon's Souls)

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've been in no rush to play this game since its release because all I've heard is how mediocre/overrated it was, how generic AAA it feels, etc. But hey, the Ultimate Edition was super cheap on the latest PSN sale so I figured, for that price I should at least have a decent time with it, right?

Must have just been hanging around people that didn't like Quantum Break, or people that held a grudge that Remedy's last game was Microsoft exclusive. Haha

I like QB and have played through it multiple times. I REALLY need to play Control.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
One of my favourite games of the last generation and still one of, if not the, best examples of world-building in games imo. Bought and finished it both on the Pro and the X and loved each moment. Now trying to decide whether it's better to buy the Ultimate on the XSX or the PS5 now it's ~Ā£15. Have a further Ā£4 off on Xbox but with how the generation start has been not sure which might offer the (slight) advantage on visuals/performance.

Cugel

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 7, 2017
Been wanting to try it. Also read a lot of "just another aaa action game" but I have been curious. Is it worth it? Why is the game so highly regarded here?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I found it pretty boring in all honesty.

Samey colourless bland environments hour after hour and a story that goes absolutely nowhere interesting.

The powers were fun to use, and the cutscene cinematic direction at times was really good, to give it some praise.
Yeah put me in this boat.

I gave this game a few chances (including recently after i just got a new video card) and it just didn't work for me at all. It's a real shame too because there's a lot about the story and presentation that I find really intriguing.

The combat just fell completely flat for me. I'm 5 hours in to an apparently 11 hour game, and currently my combat options consist of my two weapons, a melee attack, and a physics throw option. This is just not enough tools to keep me engaged.

Maybe if the enemies were more interesting this could work, but really they all look kind of the same and have simplistic attack patterns of either charging at me or hanging back to take pot shots. I mostly just run around popping headshots and occasionally a guy with one of those bullet sponge shields show up so then I throw a physics object at them. This is like 75% of the gameplay so far and it's just not interesting.

I hated the progression and upgrade systems too. The skill tree is just so utterly boring - having to decide between "+10% to melee attack damage" or "+10% hp" feels like an attempt by the developer to put me to sleep. It's a completely different game, but compare this to Dishonored 2 (which I am also playing at the moment) where my skill tree options consist of actual impactful choices, like gaining the ability to mind control enemies or turn into a rat. Even something like TLOU2 did it way better, where even small increases to your ammo capacity felt significant due to the tight resource balance.

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah put me in this boat.

I gave this game a few chances (including recently after i just got a new video card) and it just didn't work for me at all. It's a real shame too because there's a lot about the story and presentation that I find really intriguing.

The combat just fell completely flat for me. I'm 5 hours in to an apparently 11 hour game, and currently my combat options consist of my two weapons, a melee attack, and a physics throw option. This is just not enough tools to keep me engaged.

Maybe if the enemies were more interesting this could work, but really they all look kind of the same and have simplistic attack patterns of either charging at me or hanging back to take pot shots. I mostly just run around popping headshots and occasionally a guy with one of those bullet sponge shields show up so then I throw a physics object at them. This is like 75% of the gameplay so far and it's just not interesting.

I hated the progression and upgrade systems too. The skill tree is just so utterly boring - having to decide between "+10% to melee attack damage" or "+10% hp" feels like an attempt by the developer to put me to sleep. It's a completely different game, but compare this to Dishonored 2 (which I am also playing at the moment) where my skill tree options consist of actual impactful choices, like gaining the ability to mind control enemies or turn into a rat. Even something like TLOU2 did it way better, where even small increases to your ammo capacity felt significant due to the tight resource balance.
There are weapon perks and different forms too, basically acting as different weapons (a shotgun, a charged laser, anti-armor shots, etc.)

Also you CAN mind control enemies, it's a skill you get later.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
There are weapon perks and different forms too, basically acting as different weapons (a shotgun, a charged laser, anti-armor shots, etc.)

Also you CAN mind control enemies, it's a skill you get later.
Yep I have the shotgun and the pistol, those are my two weapons. I've no doubt that more interesting tools get added later, but my point is really that I'm apparently close to the halfway point of the game and the combat hasn't shown a spark of life.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I skipped Control last year due to its performance on base consoles, but bought it for the Switch after playing the demo, and being impressed by it looking fantastic, and running at a smooth 60fps. It turned out to be one of my favourite games of the year. Everything about it feels like a labor of love.

For anyone who only has a base console, but also a Switch, get the Switch version if you have a decent internet connection. It's the best-looking game on Switch (from a technical standpoint), and runs incredibly well.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Control is fantastic I enjoyed it and powered through the base ps4s crappy frame rate and still loved it. I'll buy the ultimate edition one day down the line to replay with DLC

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĆ£o Paulo - Brazil
Good that you're liking it. Control was one of the great games this generation and it deserve much more when it comes to sales.

Although I'm surprised you thought the overall impression was the game was bad. I'd say the majority of people have positive things to say about the game.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Control is, funnily enough, a lot like DOOM Eternal for me. The mechanics take a bit to pick up on, and things need to be unlocked, but once it clicks, it really clicks, and I love playing it over and over again.

I've played Control from the beginning several times over, and it's gotten to the point now that I put some music on in the background, then just run around, skip all the cutscenes and lay waste to every enemy I encounter. Very satisfying combat loop, in my opinion.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I loved so much about Control, but got to a difficult boss fight and just couldn't stomach the long walk back from the distant checkpoint and never went back to it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I only just bought Control yesterday, and haven't played it yet, but it's not because I heard bad things - I just wanted to wait and play it on my new PC, which is getting built later today.

The only really negative things I heard were regarding the performance on console. I assume that will be cleaned up if you have a next-gen machine, even before the dedicated patch.

Oct 27, 2017
Control was one of my favorite games of last year.
Likewise.

I still can't get over how magnificent the combat was. Flying around while firing weapons and using telekinesis to throw all kinds of shit around a room, while the room realistically falls to pieces as you and your enemies rampage around was awesome as heck. It all felt so smooth and intuitive and I never once felt like I was fighting the controls.

Astral Chain came out around the same time and what a plodding, tedious experience that was in comparison.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this when it finally released on Steam back in August, but I haven't had the chance to play it yet. Looking forward to giving it a go next month, though.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
It took me a while for this game to click, I was trying to play it as a shooter and I wasnt enjoying it much. Once I realised to use the powers more I got the real game and loved it. Cant wait for the next gen patch to replay it.

May 10, 2019
Absolutely love this game and hope more people give it a try as it will have improvements for the new consoles. Absolutely hate how the upgrade situation has been handled which still stings even now.

Also excited that the artbook will be coming soon!

Art_of_Control_preview-4-1.jpg

Control Artbook

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
Count me in the "it's overrated " crowd. I went in totally dark, only knowing people really liked it. I thought it was alright, but the enemies and combat were very underwhelming, and quite frankly, dull. The story and presentation were great, but the gameplay just didn't do it for me.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I found that while it was really evocative at some times, it was a little too downbeat and plain for it's premise.
But it's a fantastic tech demo. I can do full RTX with DLSS2.0 at 1080p at least on my 2070s which really makes me feel good about cyberpunk

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played. I started it recently on my base PS4, knowing the performance is really annoying but I only intended to try it there and I honestly couldn't stop, I'm like 10 hours in. Everything is great, the level design, the combat, the atmosphere, the acting, the characters and even the documents are just so god damn well done. I love the titles that appear on the screen, the great UI and how you're encouraged to get lost and even go handle something else before finishing your mission. Games like this seem like rare gems.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I've been dying to play Control because of how hyped and we'll received it was. Waiting for the PS5 version.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I have!

People talked so much shit about the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern that by the time I saw it a few years after release - I actually enjoyed it haha.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game today, but wont play it until I get myself a ps5 and the upgraded version.

Have they mentioned what we can expect from the upgrade for next-gen version?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's a phenomenal game that's being held down by weird damage scaling and bad checkpoints, at the time of me playing at launch that was. I believe some of it has been addressed but the weird damage scaling and enemies being able to kill you in two shots when you maxed out your health was a bit frustrating to say at least.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played Control recently as well. Loved it! In addition to being an amazing game, it's also one of the best looking I've ever seen (with all raytracing features enabled).

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
OP I too remember some mediocre impressions for Control around release. It kept me from picking it up at launch. Got it during a Target sale and loved it.