• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
did I just watch one of the best films I've seen? I'm a little bit lost for words here. I knew it was going to be good but I didn't think it was going to be that good. I've got goosebumps.

Visually stunning
Sound track god tier
Gosling is hypnotic
Ford is subtle and beautiful
Story sublime and opens the world into a new direction which to my knowledge has never been explored before

I really do not know what else to say. I think I'm going to have to watch it again right now

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It is easily one of the best science fiction films in years, and will probably be considered a 21st century SF classic.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
did I just watch one of the best films I've seen? I'm a little bit lost for words here. I knew it was going to be good but I didn't think it was going to be that good. I've got goosebumps.

Visually stunning
Sound track god tier
Gosling is hypnotic
Ford is subtle and beautiful
Story sublime and opens the world into a new direction which to my knowledge has never been explored before

I really do not know what else to say. I think I'm going to have to watch it again right now
If it ever gets a re-release, a large theater viewing is a must.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It was so good! I was shocked how poorly it did at the box office in comparison to the price tag. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time, it sucks that it won't get a sequel.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
To think they've made the original even better. How is that even possible? I read somewhere this was a bit of a flop at the box office. I hope that everyone involved with the film knows, regardless of the takings at the box office, they've made a masterpiece.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will probably get some pushback on this, but I liked it more than the original. Just an overall excellent movie.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
If they only had a more convincing ''villain". Other than that movie visually belongs to the best of the 21st century so far

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
A modern classic for sure, I adore this film.

After Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, Denis Villeneuve has become my favourite sci-fi director of this time. I hope he gets to make Dune, and I hope he gets the budget he deserves.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
It was so good! I was shocked how poorly it did at the box office in comparison to the price tag. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time, it sucks that it won't get a sequel.

It clearly positions itself for one. I only tweaked who the daughter was at the end when it should been obvious after the woman with one eye says daughter.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest Oscar snub of the year, that's what.

My favorite film of 2017, The Shape of Water is a close second.

But it's easily better than half of the other nominations fo Best Picture. What a fucking joke.

The movie is just so well-crafted and treats the viewer with respect, assumes their smart enough to follow along. Which is easy enough because every see, every shot, every line is unwasted and packed with world-building and character development without resorting to direct exposition.

My second viewing was just as gripping as the first and in neither viewings did I ever feel the length of the film.

And yeah, it definitely exceeds the original.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A modern classic for sure, I adore this film.

After Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, Denis Villeneuve has become my favourite sci-fi director of this time. I hope he gets to make Dune, and I hope he gets the budget he deserves.

dunno if you saw this

Speaking at the Rendez-Vous du Cinema Quebecoi this week, Villeneuve announced that his adaptation of Frank Herbert's 1965 science fiction novel will "probably take two years to make" and the goal is to "make two films, maybe more."

https://nerdist.com/denis-villeneuve-dune-two-movies/

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you loved it. Add it to the small list of sequels that blow the original out of the water.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on watching the best film released in the 21st Century

Now enjoy knowing that you will never experience that feeling again

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
I will probably get some pushback on this, but I liked it more than the original. Just an overall excellent movie.

I've not seen the original for a few years and I've seen it a good few times. I also think 2049 could be better. And I love they still leave some questions about deckard unanswered. I know Scott said he is a replicant but villeneuve left it open

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
my gf appreciates the first movie, but didn't find it very enjoyable to watch, theres not enough story or throughline to keep her interested

BR2049 on the other hand she loves, infact she told me yesterday that its her favorite movie of last year

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
But he also said his adaptation of Dune won't be "the monster" that Blade Runner 2049 was. Presumably meaning he will try to make it more accessible, shorter, etc. dumber?

If anything, a Dune adapatation needs to go farther than BR2049 did. I want him to have zero regard for "general audiences."
I don't know, maybe he meant budget wise? I can't imagine he's gonna compromise much on what he thinks a Dune movie should look like. Dune won't work as an accessible, generic movie anyways.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I love this movie so much.

It's such a travesty that Rian Johnson gets to helm a Star Wars trilogy when talent like Villeneuve exists.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The movie is so stunning I made sure it was the first 4K/UHD blu-ray I bought as soon as it was available. Bought the original in UHD too alongside it - no regrets.