• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have two Windows PCs currently which are both underpowered, and I never have any idea which games will run okay.

- Surface Pro 6 with 8GB RAM. Onboard Intel gfx.
works okay for simple games but attempting Outer Wilds was painful.

- Alienware Alpha R2, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 960
This Steambox PC is hooked up to my TV with a gamepad. I really enjoyed Edith Finch and Forza Horizons 4 on it, but It runs into performance issues sometimes.

2D games run fine but playing anything 3D is always a guessing game. I don't have any desires to upgrade either of my computers.

I just bought Wattam because it looks simple enough, but I wouldn't dare try something like Control because I heard it runs poorly on good machines. Services like Game Pass PC seem to be loaded with games like Gears of War which I doubt will run, so it seems like a bad value for me.

How do you decide which games you can play and which ones should wait for an upgrade?

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
is it on a platform that I can refund it on if it runs poorly? buy it and evaluate how it runs.

its as simple as that.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly stick to very PC-centric games, they tend to not be too demanding and can played on all kinds of builds.

Obviously checking the spec requirements, although it isn't a hard line rule as they tend to overshoot them.
Performance tests on YouTube and making use of Steams refund policy for when you shoot your shot at something more demanding.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly stick to very PC-centric games, they tend to not be too demanding and can played on all kinds of builds.

Obviously checking the spec requirements, although it isn't a hard line rule as they tend to overshoot them.
Performance tests on YouTube and making use of Steams refund policy for when you shoot your shot at something more demanding.

Yep, this is the best course of action. Search for a game video adding your GPU/CPU to start and see whatever is closest to your rig, if on Steam you can refund as needed.

I remember in the 2000's I used to use "Can You Run It" a lot but I don't know if that's accurate.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I usually search [game name] + [processor]/[GPU] on YouTube and see how the game runs. If you use Steam, you can always refund the game if the performance is bad.

That being said, I'm thinking to make a thread where people with low spec PC can share games that run well on their machine.

Jodast

Oct 25, 2017
As far as your Surface Pro 6 is concerned, look into GPD WIN 2 performance for a game you're interested in. The handheld has a dedicated community that has tested a lot of newer and older titles, so you should be able to find a good amount of games that are playable on your Surface.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I usually search [game name] + [processor]/[GPU] on YouTube and see how the game runs. If you use Steam, you can always refund the game if the performance is bad.

That being said, I'm thinking to make a thread where people with low spec PC can share games that run well on their machine.
That's a good idea for a thread. I went through this generation with nothing but an original Alienware Alpha, which I'm still using for 2019 releases, lol.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I would think that Alienware with a 960 could run anything at 720p. It might be a bit jarring but you'd soon get used to it.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Just open youtube, put in GTX 960 Control and look up this video:

Seems Control can hit medium settings with 30fps @ 1080p and low settings with 60fps @ 720p with the GTX 960 4GB.
30fps is the target for consoles with Control, so this is an experience that most players had, it's nice to be able to hit 60fps, even if you do have to drop IQ, whats important is pc users have that choice.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I don't upgrade until most games dont run at a performance level i want to play them... which is 40-60 FPS at the lowest settings.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Simply check benchmarks I guess? There's usually some low spec GPUs in those charts. You'll probably have to go the dxtra mile to determine which one is a close enough equivalent to yours.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
specs/ laptop name + game name in google freuqently gives a solid idea, provided what you own is not too obscure.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Always been into PC hardware. Can tell at a glance if things will run based on minimum/recommended specs and comparing it to my parts.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Look up benchmarks of that game? Or just try it?

Also I'd have a decent idea with just general knowledge. With a IGP I know mostly older or non demanding titles will be the only things that will run.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
I boot it up, put everything on low, and then maybe cry. (i-7 2600k, GTX 770). The only game I literally haven't been able to play due to performance is The Surge 2. It runs terribly for me even at 540p and below.

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
I only have a 1050 in my Surface Book 2, so I know this problem all too well. My main source is YouTube - there's a couple of channels im subscribed to that keep checking new releases, and if they don't have the game in question I just search for its name and "gtx1050". Usually a pretty good indicator.

Just remember to knock a couple of FPS off what they're getting, as the laptop GPUs are very slightly less powerful than the desktop model.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
go on youtube, check for tests. there are plenty channels that do exactly this, just testing lower end or old cards and their performance on the newest releases.

one of them that is popular is called santiago santiago I think, you can find tests of latest games on 750ti, 1050 and similar. Even if you don't find the exact card, you can find a card that has very similar performance. Like 960 and 1050 are same thing pretty much.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB

And by most games, I mean most AAA games.

The 7950 could keep up and/or beat:
GTX 580
GTX 670
GTX 960
GTX 1050

You telling me it couldnt run "most" AAA games on low at 40 - 60fps?
I dont believe you......on the "I only upgrade when I cant play most games on low at 40 - 60"....cuz the 7950 would still be able to pull well into the 60s on low in most AAA games today even.

Hell I wouldnt be shocked if you could get away with Medium in alot of AAA games with a 7950.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
You can find benchmarks for all kinds of games that run on laptops on youtube and whatnot. Alternatively, you have refunds, use stores that have that option.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The 7950 could keep up and/or beat:
GTX 580
GTX 670
GTX 960
GTX 1050

You telling me it couldnt run "most" AAA games on low at 40 - 60fps?
I dont believe you......on the "I only upgrade when I cant play most games on low at 40 - 60"....cuz the 7950 would still be able to pull well into the 60s on low in most AAA games today even.

Hell I wouldnt be shocked if you could get away with Medium in alot of AAA games with a 7950.

Sekiro Ran at 40-55 FPS barely, AAA games that require beefier specs.. they barely run at 40-50 FPS. Like Rage 2, It ran at 30-40 FPS for me.

All of these at the lowest settings.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
My Mini ITX rig housing an Intel Core i7 6700k and an AMD R9 Nano with 32GB of DDR4 RAM apparently isn't enouh to run Half-Life: Alyx, because apparently that game requires 6GB of VRAM and I only have 4GB of High Bandwidth Memory with my Nano.

I wondered though if I would be able to push my luck and still be able to run the game, considering how many titles my R9 Nano was able to run without any issues, even on max settings (with certain exceptions, such as Nvidia-centric games like Final Fantasy XV).

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just open youtube, put in GTX 960 Control and look up this video:

Seems Control can hit medium settings with 30fps @ 1080p and low settings with 60fps @ 720p with the GTX 960 4GB.
30fps is the target for consoles with Control, so this is an experience that most players had, it's nice to be able to hit 60fps, even if you do have to drop IQ, whats important is pc users have that choice.

Why did I read the title as 10ghz?

Youtube is your only bet if a game with similar spec than yours can run it or not.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Yeah, youtube. My desktop has a GTX 770 2GB and I would often search youtube for footage of whatever game I want on my gpu to see how it runs.