Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
All that needs to be said really.
Cult of personality is scary. I liked Louis but being a sexual assaulter is a hard limit for me. Doesn't seem that way for the multiple people who cheered him on.
We still got a long way to go as a society, at least one that respects and supports women.

Even here on ERA.. Case in point, any sexual harassment/assault thread, which turns into a graveyard within hours and sometimes minutes.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's been addressed here or not, but wouldn't it have been even worse had Louis come out and started making wise cracks about everything that happened? Not addressing the issue during a set seems like the more tactful choice given his position

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
0SfPA2Y.png

Roxane Gay wrote an opinion piece about this in the New York Times, and this quote really stuck out to me, because man do we see that question A Lot.
I read it last night and was super dismayed at the top comments. I assume her later tweet is related to the piece.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
People apparently have a really strong ability to let a whole host of bad things slide when there's something about the person they "need". Like, for instance, I know a feminist who's dating a conservative. She seems excited for Election Day, despite her vote being cancelled out by her own boyfriend. Hard to say what's going through her head. She's also well on her way to obliterating her own pancreas, it might be a self-harm thing.

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I think he's within the realm of atonement if he tried. He could reimburse the women he's threatened for fucking with their careers, donate to causes that help prevent/get justice for sexual assault, help other men not go down the same road he did preventing further pain...

Or he could just, I dunno, not do any of that and show up outta nowhere, I guess.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
His manager threatened the women.
From the NY Times article that broke the story:

"But Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov said that when they told others about the incident in the Colorado hotel room, they heard that Louis C.K.'s manager was upset that they were talking about it openly. The women feared career repercussions. Louis C.K.'s manager, Dave Becky, was adamant in an email that he "never threatened anyone."

He never spoke to them about it nor are there any claims he took any action against them. Maybe they were right to be worried about him, but no article has substantiated nor accused him of taking any action against them.

Oct 25, 2017
From the NY Times article that broke the story:

"But Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov said that when they told others about the incident in the Colorado hotel room, they heard that Louis C.K.'s manager was upset that they were talking about it openly. The women feared career repercussions. Louis C.K.'s manager, Dave Becky, was adamant in an email that he "never threatened anyone."

He never spoke to them about it nor are there any claims he took any action against them. Maybe they were right to be worried about him, but no article has substantiated nor accused him of taking any action against them.
I posted a twitter thread a few pages back from two of the victims:

"But this isn't even the worst part. We told a bunch of people. Now his very powerful rep calls your new managers and tells them he will BURY you if you keep telling the story. So now your poison to everyone who knows him, his famous friends, their managers, everyone. People call you sluts, and cunts."

Is the distinction that he spoke to their managers and not to themselves the rub?

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I posted a twitter thread a few pages back from two of the victims:

"But this isn't even the worst part. We told a bunch of people. Now his very powerful rep calls your new managers and tells them he will BURY you if you keep telling the story. So now your poison to everyone who knows him, his famous friends, their managers, everyone. People call you sluts, and cunts."

Is the distinction that he spoke to their managers and not to themselves the rub?

I had not seen that and was only familiar with the original article. Definitely paints a different picture.

Ohhhht

Oct 29, 2017
You mean you don't agree it's dumb, or you don't know what it is?

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is a short web-show in which Seinfeld drives a pretty car, picks up a funny person, and takes them to a cafe.
A person? You've missed the point of the show. It's OK, just don't watch it, no need to say it's dumb just because you don't understand the appeal.

Daygon

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I guess some people think that Louis C.K is just too talented to be wasted on something like obscurity.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People apparently have a really strong ability to let a whole host of bad things slide when there's something about the person they "need". Like, for instance, I know a feminist who's dating a conservative. She seems excited for Election Day, despite her vote being cancelled out by her own boyfriend. Hard to say what's going through her head. She's also well on her way to obliterating her own pancreas, it might be a self-harm thing.
The only thing that can make this post so much better is if you liked this woman that's dating a conservative and the bitterness is killing you on the inside.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of comedians have been not exactly putting their best foot forward around the Louis CK fall out and in general handling the changing times. Its sad to see a lot of them look and sound like the dinosaurs they often lampooned.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
He completely avoids talking about what this scumbag did and instead wants to complain about virtue signaling without saying the phrase then goes on a rant about Instagram rich kids.

Unsurprising when his original reaction to the whole business was "yeah but male comics get assaulted by gay people a lot, where's the backlash against gay people?" And sympathizing with CK.

Daygon

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
If he spent the rest of his career making a living punching up Chris Rock/Adam Sandler/Robert Smigel material under a pseudonym, that seems like a fair outcome.

Lol, you and I both know that ain't happening. I predict that he will remain the same level of popularity or he will have more of a Chris Brown popularity package where he's still popular but not popular to do a collaboration with.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, you and I both know that ain't happening. I predict that he will remain the same level of popularity or he will have more of a Chris Brown popularity package where he's still popular but not popular to do a collaboration with.
Depends how committed protesters are to disrupting his shows and deplatforming him.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's still relevant to the conversation and he shrugs it off like the guy had unpaid parking tickets. Even uses the "im no lawyer" bullshit.
He took more of a position of not being a gatekeeper. It's not for him to say if Louis should do stand up or not, he's free to do what he wants. If you don't want to see him doing stand up then don't watch.

I don't see anything wrong with the answer.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Ew Burr, cmon man.

This isnt a difference of opinion.

This isnt even a situation where ppl dont want him to come back. All Ive seen ppl ask is for CK to atone.

He hasnt done that from our knowledge.

And if he wants me to support him, he has to.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Ew Burr, cmon man.

This isnt a difference of opinion.

This isnt even a situation where ppl dont want him to come back. All Ive seen ppl ask is for CK to atone.

He hasnt done that from our knowledge.

And if he wants me to support him, he has to.

Same thing with Norm MacDonald and his "Unlike the victims, he lost everything" take.

If you're back in the clubs less than a year later, getting standing ovations, what have you lost?

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He took more of a position of not being a gatekeeper. It's not for him to say if Louis should do stand up or not, he's free to do what he wants. If you don't want to see him doing stand up then don't watch.

I don't see anything wrong with the answer.
It's not just Bill "recusing himself" from a gatekeeper position, I think it's an awareness that stand-up has little in the way of gatekeepers for those who are able to draw audiences. All anyone can do is to take a position and persuade people as best they can, but it's fundamentally a conversation with the potential audience.

For good or for bad, when your chosen medium is literally just public speaking, there's little anyone can do to stop him if audiences choose to see him. Even if you went after clubs, anyone can rent a theater, or a public fire hall, or some kind of venue and talk.

So the practical reality is that his career is in the hands of audiences, and the conversation has to be a persuasive one with the audiences themselves. And, of course, you simply won't convince everyone. It's very unlikely Louis will ever achieve the kind of success he had in the past, but it's just as unlikely that you'll convince absolutely everyone not to support him.

That may not be a satisfying conclusion for some, but it's hopefully enough to make people in his position more thoughtful going forward, and that's honestly the only thing I care about. I don't really believe in karma or a sense that retributive justice needs to be meted out at the right levels to restore balance. I just want people to learn and do less harm and be better in the future, and I'm hopeful this still serves as a lesson.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're back in the clubs less than a year later, getting standing ovations, what have you lost?
A film and TV career, millions of dollars in cancelled deals, most of his fortune, and a sizable chunk of his audience. It's hard to argue that's substantially mitigated by being able to do 15 minutes for free in front of 75 people.

Which isn't to say anyone should "feel bad" for him, because it's entirely his own fault, but I think he's lost enough to serve as a cautionary tale, at least. That abuse can cost you a person a hell of a lot. The message is very clear that what he did was very much a huge, and very costly mistake that no one in his position should repeat.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
For good or for bad, when your chosen medium is literally just public speaking, there's little anyone can do to stop him if audiences choose to see him.
Eh, I heard Cosby's shows turned into nightmares of screaming matches and disruptions. If Louie doesn't affirmatively try to explain his shit, he'll never be able to book theaters in advance, and never be able to make money as a standup, because these short surprise spots are not paid, IIRC.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
A film and TV career, millions of dollars in cancelled deals, most of his fortune, and a sizable chunk of his audience. It's hard to argue that's substantially mitigated by being able to do 15 minutes for free in front of 75 people.

Which isn't to say anyone should "feel bad" for him, because it's entirely his own fault, but I think he's lost enough to serve as a cautionary tale, at least. That abuse can cost you a person a hell of a lot. The message is very clear that what he did was very much a huge, and very costly mistake that no one in his position should repeat.
He's not still wealthy and doing what he loves while being applauded for it, coupled with generally positive/accepting online/newspaper headlines upon return?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He's not still wealthy and doing what he loves while being applauded for it, coupled with generally positive/accepting online/newspaper headlines upon return?

"What's he lost really?"

*List of things he has lost*

"Ok but he isn't homeless, destitute, and dying of smallpox in a ditch yet, so it's too soon"

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Off-topic, but we should differentiate between conservatives in the traditional sense of the word and members of today's GOP. If you support the GOP, I agree, it's a gross position. If you're a true conservative (i.e. someone who looks to previous generations for moral values), then there's room for goodness there. It might need to be said, I don't think a conservative can support Trump.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Off-topic, but we should differentiate between conservatives in the traditional sense of the word and members of today's GOP. If you support the GOP, I agree, it's a gross position. If you're a true conservative (i.e. someone who looks to previous generations for moral values), then there's room for goodness there. It might need to be said, I don't think a conservative can support Trump.

what are the good moral values of true conservatives of yore?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
"What's he lost really?"

*List of things he has lost*

"Ok but he isn't homeless, destitute, and dying of smallpox in a ditch yet, so it's too soon"
Sure he's lost potential income, but I've never seen evidence he's not still wealthy. The distributor bought the movie — they're the ones who ate the loss on I Love You Daddy, AFAIK.