Number45

Oct 25, 2017
The dude has been bailed anyway (didn't see the story linked) which should tell you what they think about him as an actual danger to others. Pretty sure they're just following process and I would assume an investigation will sort it all out.

Oct 27, 2017
I lived in the heart of East London for close to 6 years, and just moved out last month. I still work there but now I just commute instead, honestly it feels great to get out.

I cycled to work for years and on my final week before I moved I saw two guys (most likely teens) on a moped mount the curb next to some traffic lights, mug a women and zoom off. Most of the recent acid attacks were within walking distance of my old house too.

The city is far more dangerous than when I first moved 6 years ago imo, it's been slipping badly. It just feels off at the moment.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel safer in NYC simply because of the acid attacks in UK

I'd much rather be shot or stabbed as morbid as that sounds
Acid attacks aren't madly common and 80% are gang related. Knife crime been around ages, so everyone is use to it. Like I keep saying, most of these attacks are gang related, gangs are a huge problem in UK

Last edited:

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to LBC the past couple days, the right wing heads are doing backflips and cartwheels trying to make this about Sadiq Khan not doing any photo ops.

Yet pretty much every caller I've heard phone in ends up talking about policing cuts, youth engagement funding cuts and austerity.

At the moment LBC are relentlessly harping on about an interview they managed to get from Khan where he admitted to not yet meeting any of the bereaved families, as if they'd have expected that from any single mayor in the country or as if true leadership in this situation is doing PR instead of trying to actually fix the problem.

Of course that would mean another admission of Tory cuts ruining things.

So let's make the issue about the mayor not doing PR instead.

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't speak for Bitsmurch but it sounds like all he's saying is that this particular case outlined by the BBC news story is highly unlikely to be anything but self defence.

I don't really know where you got that he thinks murder is great? Maybe the clearly exaggerated line about the eye socket?

My point was an 80 year old man has the right to do whatever he wants to stop two armed young assailants.

Including stabbing the fuckers as many times as it takes for them to stop responding to the stabs.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't the Orwellian 1984 camera-style system implemented in London supposed to help with crime?

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point was an 80 year old man has the right to do whatever he wants to stop two armed young assailants.

Including stabbing the fuckers as many times as it takes for them to stop responding to the stabs.
Well, intent to kill an incapacitated human is a crime so......

If you're not defending yourself anymore, you're attacking with intent to needlessly harm or kill.

Its why police don't get to kick you in the ribs as long as they want for resisting after you've been successfully subdued.

Attacking with intent to kill, of an already incapacitated person, should always be punished.

Otherwise we'll have crazies behaving like killing a criminal "because he had it coming" and not solely to preserve ones own life, is a thing that should exist in civilised society.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
As long as he was defending himself I have no issue with the old guy killing the burglar, the amount of time these criminal scumbags break into peoples homes and terrorize innocent families is beyond a joke, someone was going to end up dead eventually.

Criminals should try not being cunts and also not target elderly peoples homes then perhaps they might not end up dead. Also the guy was wanted for other burglaries so I have no sympathy with the guy, he brought it on himself.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as he was defending himself I have no issue with the old guy killing the burglar, the amount of time these criminal scumbags break into peoples homes and terrorize innocent families is beyond a joke, someone was going to end up dead eventually.

Criminals should try not being cunts and also not target elderly peoples homes then perhaps they might not end up dead. Also the guy was wanted for other burglaries so I have no sympathy with the guy, he brought it on himself.
I highly doubt there is anyone in this thread sympathizing with people who break into OAPs houses, scare the shit out of them and try to take what little they usually have.

All I can see is people arguing against the idea that killing people, criminal or not, is something that should be socially acceptable or a human right without due process from authorities.

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
im sorry someone nicking yoour stuff is not justified means for taking someones life.

if they attack you and in the struggle they get killed then yeah thats self defense, but if they back off or you stop them attacking you then you kill them then thats probably illegal.

An 80 year old man needs to know his assailants not getting up. Simple as that.

The guys been named, hes got form for OAP robbing. Scrote got what was coming.

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised at all it's a crazy place.

Looks like multiple attacks have taken place today as well as a murder yesterday.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the Orwellian 1984 camera-style system implemented in London supposed to help with crime?

CCTV doesn't really deter crime - it just helps you catch criminals post crime. The deterrence aspect only lasts for a few weeks.

And folks need to realise CCTV isnt centrally controlled - it's run by 30+ individual London boroughs, plus TfL's own network. There is very strict regulation on what they can look at and share, and the reason there's so much of it is because it's the number one request by residents when asked. It's a pain to run but people love it!

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The increased press on the attacks in London will also only encourage these people to push harder into whatever they're doing.

It's like a badge of honor for the cocky little cunts.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

I'm afraid to say that's fairly normal for a city of 8 million people. It's only being reported because of the current focus. And it's worth remembering that 5 stabbings in a day makes London an extremely safe city compared to other cities that size. Not saying it's good - one stabbing is too many, and each one a tragedy and a failing. But has to be put in perspective.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I lived in the heart of East London for close to 6 years, and just moved out last month. I still work there but now I just commute instead, honestly it feels great to get out.

I cycled to work for years and on my final week before I moved I saw two guys (most likely teens) on a moped mount the curb next to some traffic lights, mug a women and zoom off. Most of the recent acid attacks were within walking distance of my old house too.

The city is far more dangerous than when I first moved 6 years ago imo, it's been slipping badly. It just feels off at the moment.

Born and lived in East London all my life, place has such a bad rep for some reason (I think it's a bit unfair). I can't personally say anything feels off right now in particular, mostly just the same to us.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid to say that's fairly normal for a city of 8 million people. It's only being reported because of the current focus. And it's worth remembering that 5 stabbings in a day makes London an extremely safe city compared to other cities that size. Not saying it's good - one stabbing is too many, and each one a tragedy and a failing. But has to be put in perspective.

Sure. I've previously posted stats to show this.

2018 has seen over 50 murders in just over 3 months. I don't think this will continue but if by the end of the year it's at 140-170 or even around 200, that would be a sharp increase of the ~100 London usually gets, which by comparison is one of the safer places of this type, as is UK and Europe.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Obviously it is not normal if it is surpassing NYC which has been historically very violent.

Oct 27, 2017
Born and lived in East London all my life, place has such a bad rep for some reason (I think it's a bit unfair). I can't personally say anything feels off right now in particular, mostly just the same to us.

Fair enough, I have a friend at work who told me the same thing, from his perspective it had been similar his whole life. I was living in an ex council block in Whitechapel, and my experience of the immediate area was it was getting sketchier and police presence was way way down by the time I left.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, I have a friend at work who told me the same thing, from his perspective it had been similar his whole life. I was living in an ex council block in Whitechapel, and my experience of the immediate area was it was getting sketchier and police presence was way way down by the time I left.

Ah I see, yeah it must feel a bit different to people not originally from here. I'm from Stepney so not too far from where you were. My colleague is from South London (I work there) and he has the same exact views as you.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it is not normal if it is surpassing NYC which has been historically very violent.

I was referring to the 5 stabbings not the murders.

And New York has seen record drops in violence over the last decade. You're thinking of it in the mid 90s. It's one of the safest large cities now, and far safer than most large American cities (still more violent than London).

And this current situation is a result of a historic lull in New York Homicides combined with a sudden spike in London homicides. It's almost guaranteed thatover the course of the year New York will see more murders than London.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if reporting on this has caused it to get even worse

Seven more people have been injured in stabbings in London as the spate of violent crime in the capital continues.

A boy aged 13 was seriously hurt in an attack in Newham, east London, and another in his late teens suffered stab wounds in Ealing, west London.

Two 15-year-old boys and a 16-year-old were hurt in Mile End and another 15-year-old was stabbed in Poplar.

A man, in his 40s, was stabbed in Herne Hill, south-east London, but his injuries are not thought to be serious.

A man has been held on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the assault in Mile End and the injured 16-year-old, who had minor injuries, was also arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43659952

Two men have been taken to hospital after being shot in Luton.

Bedfordshire Police said officers were called to a report of a 47-year-old man with "gunshot injuries" in Portland Road at about 21:50 BST on Thursday.

The man was taken to hospital with minor injuries and a second man was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Det Insp Craig Laws said the shooting was "concerning" but officers were treating it as an "isolated" incident.

"Officers are currently following a number of lines of inquiry, and anyone with information is urged to contact us," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43664152

Gunshots in the UK are just a bit mental considering how good we normally do with gun crime.

The ages of the people injured is a bit worrying as well. I'm going to assume youth in gangs.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
ATM a lot of this is the press now reporting on regular occurrences as if it were breaking news. London unfortunately has stabbings every single day. It's a city of 8 million people, its murder rate is insanely low for what it is. But, as happens with a media narrative, now the press reports on every incident because it fits that narrative and it sounds like London is engulfed in a tide of violence sweeping over the city and putting everyone at risk.

Any knife crime is bad, and we need to do a lot more to stop it. But to put it in context - London is still incredibly safe, and the longer term trend is that knife crime and youth violence is a lot lower than it was 10+ years ago.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
You mean people are being too concerned to look at the emotional/sensationalist angle to a story without bothering to put it into perspective or account for statistics? Why I'd never.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if reporting on this has caused it to get even worse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43659952

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43664152

Gunshots in the UK are just a bit mental considering how good we normally do with gun crime.

The ages of the people injured is a bit worrying as well. I'm going to assume youth in gangs.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/lo...-knifed-in-capital-amid-violence-surge.34261/

Yeah in the thread I posted that got no replies (forgot about this thread) it basically said it was gangs.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017
He was arrested because HE STABBED A MAN TO DEATH.

If this was a defensive reaction to an attack, then he will likely be let go without charge.

However, he may have incapacitated the intruder and then given him some stabby stabby in which case he's a murderer and should be thrown in jail.

There are things called "investigations" which may be able to determine if his actions were lawful (reasonable force used in fear of his life) or not (murder).

I wouldn't be surprised if you think Tony Martin was an innocent man too.
He stabbed a career criminal who came from a family that terrorised the local elderly population stealing hundreds of thousands of pounds of loot from people who are easily scared.

There is a thing called "self defence".

I wouldn't be surprised if you think he should have offered him a cup of tea after incapacitating him.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll chime in as a West Londoner - I don't feel unsafe. I NEVER see this stuff. I've been living in London for 13 years and in all that time I've had someone dip my phone and a junkie unsuccessfully try and pinch my bag when I was sat outside a pub. Never even seen any violent crime. That's not to say it doesn't happen, of course. There have been murders not far from my house but it's all happening in a parallel London, separated not necessarily by geography but more by class and wealth. And that's a positive and negative. It's positive because it means most people never see this stuff and it's negative because, because they never see it, it's easy not to care about it. If people were running round stabbing shoppers in Westfield or Bond Street then something would be done but because it's all kids from bad states stabbing each over it may as well be happening on mars.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll chime in as a West Londoner - I don't feel unsafe. I NEVER see this stuff. I've been living in London for 13 years and in all that time I've had someone dip my phone and a junkie unsuccessfully try and pinch my bag when I was sat outside a pub. Never even seen any violent crime. That's not to say it doesn't happen, of course. There have been murders not far from my house but it's all happening in a parallel London, separated not necessarily by geography but more by class and wealth. And that's a positive and negative. It's positive because it means most people never see this stuff and it's negative because, because they never see it, it's easy not to care about it. If people were running round stabbing shoppers in Westfield or Bond Street then something would be done but because it's all kids from bad states stabbing each over it may as well be happening on mars.
Yep, plus it is mainly poc. Who get drawn to gangs cus we are usually in the poor shit areas adds to the not caring bit. People not in gangs have nothing to fear 90% of the time, it is gang on gang shit

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aye, it is mostly POC. I hesitated to mention that because a lot of those gangs have white kids in them too (or they used to) but, recently, it seems it's mainly POC getting stabbed.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
People are getting stabbed every day in central scotland. Its been a problem for decades and nothing seems to have hindered it.

Interestingly, the BBC News website yesterday resurrected an article from January in their "Related articles" section about how the Violence Reduction Unit (VRU) introduced in 2005 by Strathclyde Police resulted in a decrease in the homicide rate in Scotland

BBC News said:
Potential gang members were encouraged by the VRU to attend sessions aimed at preventing future violence.

Locations and pictures of those involved in gangs were shown to them with a clear message - police knew who they were, what they were up to and that prison would soon beckon if they continued down a violent path.

They were offered an alternative - job opportunities, housing, training and mentoring - in order to break the cycle of repeat offending.

"Most young offenders are fathers, or they are soon going to be," said Mr Carnochan.

"We needed to break the cycle of children seeing their parents in a bad light, because that is what they learn from."
The decline in violent crime in Scotland has been dramatic.

Since 2007, it has dropped by almost half and crimes involving a weapon is down by two thirds, with Glasgow accounting for a third of the decrease.

The success of the VRU, which received £7.6m in Scottish government funding between 2008 and 2016, has in recent months caught the eye of London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who set up his own knife-crime strategy in June and in November launched an anti-knife crime campaign.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42690960

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. Most of the stabbings are not random attacks but gang related issues.

Young teenagers from deprived background/ families are recuruted by gangs to carry out drug dealings and other criminal activities.

Teenagers get a bit of money and take it very serious business. "Turf wars" are common and followed by violence and murder.

Social media is used to promote gangs and boast about recent violence without admitting to be responsible.

A lot of "rap music videos" posted on social media are about recent violence where teens would rap about who did who where etc. Just to show the rival gang to stay away or more will follow.

For the normal person the lyrics are usual rap nonsense but if you where to take the time and listen, you will hear actually a lot.

Police is using social media and exactly such videos to identify potential offenders buy their street names etc.

A lot is being done such as early education about knives where police attends classes to give talks to young teenagers, social groups after school but this does not provide money.

A lot of times teenagers are let down at home with lack of discipline, education, parent(s) are unemployed and teenagers are jealous of others who are better off.

This is the type of kids gangs are exploiting by giving them a bit of an "income" and kids will let nothing and nobody take it away from them such a rival gang members.

Last time I checked there were over 200 different gangs in London alone.

I would be happy to bet a lot of money that if you were to check all the recent victims on police systems, most would come back known for criminal activities and links to gangs.

It's a different matter when a person gets randomly attacked, stabbed and robbed of property. However, looking at the recent mindless killings, I cannot recall a report that mentions "teenager killed after robbery gone wrong".

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
What are currently the safest areas (for tourists) in London?

London is extremely safe for tourists. As someone living here for 10 years now, essentially all the violent crime is youth/gangs or domestic. The only risk of getting into something violent by a person not known to you is burglary, luckily violent ones are pretty rare. As a tourist, pretty much no chance.

As a tourist, you will want to look after your bag and wallet everywhere, and be aware that in East London thugs will nab phones out of people's hands, so be mindful when whipping out that iPhone X.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anywhere you would want to go is safe. If you find yourself walking round some estate (american: project) in the dead of night then you've probably gone wrong but even then it's not like it's likely anything bad will happen. The vast majority of this stuff is people settling scores. Yes, like in any big city you stand a small chance of being targeted but it really is very small.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When I come down from up North to visit London I might as well be called a tourist. Half the country is a tourist in London. It's busy as fuck, but it's safe. Anywhere tourists congregate is just too public and busy for anything to happen. Just the usual tips anywhere would give you when travelling in busy open areas. Watch your belongings.

The underground can be a bit stressful to newcomers, more so as its complex and some regular Londoners if travelling for work or daily commuting often have short fuses and probably hate tourists bumbling around with no clue where to go/what to do. Lots of City folk are like that, they live in their own little bubbles and "can't even" when around others struggling to whizz around busy and complex areas.

Just take your time and mentally ignore anyone that stresses you.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to steer clear of the no-go zones.

Where are they? I can't say and they dkntd really exist, but they are around.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Okay, that calms me a bit. Still, is walking around freely at night, if I stay at central districts, recommended? I'm used to this not really being a problem where I live. Like lets say I want to do a walk from Westminster abbey to Tower Hill from 21-22 or 22-23.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, that calms me a bit. Still, is walking around freely at night, if I stay at central districts, recommended? I'm used to this not really being a problem where I live. Like lets say I want to do a walk from Westminster abbey to Tower Hill from 21-22 or 22-23.

The most dangerous thing to watch out for on that route is drunk journalists and tourists.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You'll be absolutely fine, walking at night is OK