• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Around 2 months ago a friend told me about the site Letterboxd, which is used for logging movies you have seen, writing reviews and making lists, among other things.​
I chose not to delve in that world since I'm not a super movies fan, but I am a games fan, so I went to look for something like that, but for videogames.​
After looking at lots of options out there, I eventually settled on one called Backloggd.​

meta_banner-b89b61349b42f5e763a8cdf3516399dd.jpg

As the site says:​
Backloggd is a place to keep your personal video game collection. Every game from every platform is here for you to log into your journal. Follow friends along the way to share your reviews and compare ratings. Then use filters to sort through your collection and see what matters to you. Keep a backlog of what you are currently playing and what you want to play, see the numbers change as you continue to log your playthroughs. There's Goodreads for books, Letterboxd for movies, and now Backloggd for games.

Ever since I discovered the site I've used it almost daily, be it to log more games and review them, or make lists of games with a common theme (For example, top games of 2021, best Mario games in each genre, etc.)​
At the moment the site doesn't have an import feature, so I had to dump my collection manually, which is why I narrowed it down to Switch first party games and Xbox games since 2020, but after that initial work was done it was all smooth sailing.​

LcqLPpv.png

An example of how a profile page looks​

The fun in Backloggd for me mainly comes from the Journal feature, which allows you to both mark a game as Played, Completed, Mastered, Abandoned, etc, and register the dates in which you played a certain game, completed it, abandoned it, and such. It also allows you to assign a score with a 1-5 or 1-10 star rating system, and then write a review about it. Extra options include the platform where you played it, the medium (physical, digital, sub, borrowed), and the time you spent on the game.​
You can of course also mark games as Currently playing, Backlog them, or Wishlist them too. This is most likely the tool I'll use to finally tackle my 40+ games backlog I've accumulated.​
Lists are also a great feature that has almost become an addiction for me. For examples you can take a look at my lists.​

EtACHqmW8AAWWf9.jpg

An example of the lists menu​

Even though alternatives exist and they're probably very good too, the UI design, the features, community, among other stuff made me go with Backloggd, and I've liked my experience with it so much that I even backed it on Patreon so that the project can continue to grow.​

Not everyone will want to be logging every game they've played, but if you have some time to spare and want to have an introspection on games I wholeheartedly recommend that you give it a try!​
I'll leave my profile here just in case you want to have some sort of initial guide to start using the website.​

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Ayyy, that's me!

Yes, Backloggd is super fun to use and easily my favorite logging site.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Sometimes I think of a game I played years ago and decide "I'm going to add it" but I've never really set out to do it with everyone.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I think of a game I played years ago and decide "I'm going to add it" but I've never really set out to do it with everyone.
Yeah, this is why I only logged some Switch games and Xbox ones. Maybe in the future I'll log old games, but for now I'll just do ones that I play from now!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I know many people are into this. Including with games, books, movies. But I could never keep the habit. I think it's a personality thing.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
You know what? I'm sold on the idea, I do have an app for this sort of stuff (called My Game Collection, for Android), but I'm liking the visual presentation quite a bit.
I will gradually spruce up my new account with all of my games and some reviews!

It will probably take a while though, so in the meantime, here's my more up-to-date Backloggery account I've had for some years.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I use Letterboxd a lot to diary movies I watch so I'm actually gonna check this out. I've been wanting an equivalent for games.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I don't use a website or anything, but sometimes I like to just write my thoughts regarding the games I've recently played into a text file. Not for anyone to read, but more like a diary situation. I especially do this if I'm stuck at a desk for a while and waiting for an email or something to download or whatever.

I have typed a LOT over the last decade.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You know what? I'm sold on the idea, I do have an app for this sort of stuff (called My Game Collection, for Android), but I'm liking the visual presentation quite a bit.
I will gradually spruce up my new account with all of my games and some reviews!

It will probably take a while though, so in the meantime, here's my more up-to-date Backloggery account I've had for some years.
I did come across Backloggery in my search but I liked Backloggd's interface and simplicity more.
Still, nice job on all that logging on Backloggery!

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I made myself a (local-only) website and database to track all my games. I absolutely love managing everything. Added a review system to it this year so I don't need a spreadsheet anymore.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Gave you a follow OP as I love seeing other folks' activity :) This is my profile - I couldn't face going through and adding my entire collection properly, so I started tracking from 2021. Anything I have bought this year goes into the "backlog" and I have created a list for my "ancient backlog" to pull from if I fancy it.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gave you a follow OP as I love seeing other folks' activity :) This is my profile - I couldn't face going through and adding my entire collection properly, so I started tracking from 2021. Anything I have bought this year goes into the "backlog" and I have created a list for my "ancient backlog" to pull from if I fancy it.
Followed back! Yeah, I also didn't have the energy to add every single game I've ever played, but who knows, maybe I'll do it sometime

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this looks pretty cool. I have used spreadsheet for years to keep track of my finished games, but filling a spreadsheet feels like work sometimes :P
It will take some time to add all my finished games from recent years, but here is my profile for now.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'll check it out. I've been looking for a Goodreads equivalent for gaming for ages now, but nothing I found feels as seamless to use.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i like doing it for movies but i dont feel the same for games for some reason. just dont care enough about logging whatever i played and have the same passion to reviewing them i guess. i keep my opinions between "i like this" and "i dont like this" and move on.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I joined this a few months ago, it's a lot of fun. Really love the look of the website too.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Backloggd has it in the roadmap but there's no date yet. As for other sites, I distinctly remember one that had it, I just can't remember which one out of the 10+ sites that I looked at

I guess that's my main thing. I don't have the free time to log all the games I own. What I've started to do (on Steam at least, not possible on consoles afaik) is that once I beat a game, I put it in a "completed" category, and that's how I've been keeping track the past few years.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess that's my main thing. I don't have the free time to log all the games I own. What I've started to do (on Steam at least, not possible on consoles afaik) is that once I beat a game, I put it in a "completed" category, and that's how I've been keeping track the past few years.
Totally reasonable, if you have lots and lots of games it can be tedious to enter them all. That said, after doing it once you can just log the next ones very easily!

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Yep, after spending years trying out different platforms and not being happy with any of them Backloggd was the one that finally felt right, and now I use it almost daily.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
That looks great.
Personally, I can't remember stuff like this at all so I need a backlog list as well, though I use Backloggery.

It helped me a bunch of times to get back to games I've forgotten I even started.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
it is too much work to keep up with my backloggery or howlongtobeat info. If they could all link and import I would not mind.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
it is too much work to keep up with my backloggery or howlongtobeat info. If they could all link and import I would not mind.
That would be great! Actually the dev is aware of the Howlongotbeat integration requests but it's unsure if it'll happen, we can just hope

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I'd totally get in on this if they used an open editable games database a la Letterboxd using TMDb which lets you add even the most obscure films possible. There's so many Japanese PC games you just can't list/rate on this service yet which turns me the hell off.

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
I started using Letterboxd in 2013 just to see how it worked... and I have logged every single film I watched since then!

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda wish I'd known about this years ago. Well no time like the present. This is interesting. I have now logged RE8 and will now also log Destroy All Humans Remake. This is cool.

Mar 19, 2020
Yeah, I started messing with it this year and I've really enjoyed it! I started writing reviews of the games I played with the intent to only write one for things I felt really passionate about. But I've ended up writing one for pretty much everything I've played this year as it's a nice way to process an experience when I'm done. I don't have a lot of people to talk about games with, so it has been a nice way to scratch that itch.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone with accounts on rateyourmusic might as well try https://glitchwave.com

i'm particularly more used with how that site works and look so it feels more natural to me. plus a better way to just actually catalog your owned games library instead of just by what you played-want to play

Jan 21, 2019
Does backlogged or any other site recommend games based on what you have logged. I find it annoying to search for most games I have played in the past. There must be a site that can guess what I like so I can add them to my played list more easily.
There is a german website for movies that is extremely good at that: moviepilot or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Does backlogged or any other site recommend games based on what you have logged. I find it annoying to search for most games I have played in the past. There must be a site that can guess what I like so I can add them to my played list more easily.
There is a german website for movies that is extremely good at that: moviepilot or something.
I've looked for a site like that and I can't find one that gives good recommendations unfortunately

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Same OP, just this year alone I did reviews for Yakuza 0, Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Rage 2, Forza Horizon 4, Doom Eternal, and Prey. I'm finishing up FF7R, but so far I love it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably being dumb, but how come the OP profile has a favourite games section on their profile and my new account doesn't? I don't see a way to add games as a favorite.