• No

Votes: 175 54.2%
  • Thor 4: Love and Tenders

Votes: 111 34.4%

• Total voters

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I've never seen this before, but my local McDonalds charges more if you order inside vs the drive thru. There seems to be 3 tiers of prices. Inside<Drive-Thru<Online. idk not an exiciting thread

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I have ever checked but I am now curious. I'll have a look the next time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I almost never go into a McDonald's to order anymore these days and I don't know very many people who do, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised that this is a thing because they probably consider "sitting in the dining room" something you're paying for whereas an online pickup or drive-thru order wouldn't necessitate that kind of upcharge.

Dumb, but I can see the "logic" in it.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Never seen it, but it's not surprising. Afaik restaurants pay more tax on eat-in sales than takeaways.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Use the app. Their deals section + earning points is great especially if you're on a tight budget.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that you get better pricing online than you do through the drive through. I couldn't tell you the last time I've walked into a McDonalds. Well over 2 years ago.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I know some fast food places offer lower prices when you order online, especially with some strange combos, but different prices for drive-thru vs inside? I have a hard time believing that. The amount of extra work and complications that would create for the staff having to juggle doesn't really seem worth it. Is there a source for this?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Every chinese restaurant I've ever been to is 10% cheaper is you order take out (that you pick up yourself) vs. Dine in.
But for McDonalds it's weird I guess

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I've been doing app ordering for curbside pickup for almost a year now since the drive through at my location sucks. (Non stop assholes cutting in line and pretending they don't know it's one lane that splits in two)

I wonder if there's a price difference when curbside hours are over and I'm forced to pickup the order in the drive thru.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Well yeah I'm pretty sure it's been like that for a while.
Not just McDonalds all fast food, I notice this like 3 years ago, I ordered 2 piece combo at Popeyes, $7.49, go home and my cousin wants my food, go back out, Popeyes is 3 blocks away, walked in and the same meal was $8.29 in the store...

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Not just McDonalds all fast food, I notice this like 3 years ago, I ordered 2 piece combo at Popeyes, $7.49, go home and my cousin wants my food, go back out, Popeyes is 3 blocks away, walked in and the same meal was $8.29 in the store...
I know. Even go order food from a local restaurant and if you do take out it will be a few dollars cheaper.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
In my state, for my entire 30 something year life their has been a tax on dine in orders at all fast food. I first realized as a young teen working in food service. Maybe y'all just never realized before? I thought this was nationwide

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Do they charge more for ordering inside or eating inside? Because I'm familiar with the dining-in tax, but not if you just head inside to grab a takeaway order.

OP
OP
PennyStonks

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Do they charge more for ordering inside or eating inside? Because I'm familiar with the dining-in tax, but not if you just head inside to grab a takeaway order.
No just if you order inside. It was still take out. Inside has no deals,and I think some of the items are just plain more, but drive thru has two fors and w/e, and the app has even more stuff. I was on my Motorcycle today and didn't want to dig my phone out of my bag.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
No just if you order inside. It was still take out. Inside has no deals,and I think some of the items are just plain more, but drive thru has two fors and w/e, and the app has even more stuff. I was on my Motorcycle today and didn't want to did my phone out of my bag.
Damn now this is different and fucked up. Not even dine-in? Crazy times

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed on Skip the Dishes that the prices of the 3 McDonalds nears me are different. So I suspect this could depend on location.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I have more trouble with the app. Some slick employees will try to double charge you. They'll tell you that you didn't pay with the app (you did) and then say you owe the amount that they list (in restaurant charge.) If you go along with it you still paid through the app and they pocket the amount at the window. Got the one guy fired who tried to do this to me a few months back.

Apr 24, 2018
No just if you order inside. It was still take out. Inside has no deals,and I think some of the items are just plain more, but drive thru has two fors and w/e, and the app has even more stuff. I was on my Motorcycle today and didn't want to dig my phone out of my bag.
Wtf. This is messed up...I don't have a car currently and typically have to use DoorDash when I want fast food these days, but at least with them, I'm already expecting the price gouging. The actual store charging different prices/have different options like this is messed up.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't eat much fast food so I guess I never noticed, plus the only time I have gone inside to order is if the drive thru line is too long.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've never seen that. I know some restaurants will charge a *fee* for dine-in as opposed to take-out, but I've never seen it at a fast food chain.

What kind of area do you live in? City? Suburbs? Rural?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I have more trouble with the app. Some slick employees will try to double charge you. They'll tell you that you didn't pay with the app (you did) and then say you owe the amount that they list (in restaurant charge.) If you go along with it you still paid through the app and they pocket the amount at the window. Got the one guy fired who tried to do this to me a few months back.
This happened to me the other day. I had to go back in and get a refund. They charged me a little over $20 for some random items I didn't order. I was too tired I didn't question it and just gave them the card.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I know some fast food places offer lower prices when you order online, especially with some strange combos, but different prices for drive-thru vs inside? I have a hard time believing that. The amount of extra work and complications that would create for the staff having to juggle doesn't really seem worth it. Is there a source for this?

It shouldn't be an issue because the PoS system would be set to to handle everything.

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I've heard from a friend who owns a branch of Chic-Fil-A's that he was up 30% on profit when the pandemic was happening due to it being drive thru only. They don't have to pay people to clean the tables, they don't have ketchup and sauces and unlimited refills eating into everything. That's why so many places are biking drive thru only locations

Nov 2, 2019
I'll never not order on the app again. If you do it right you can knock $3-5 off on average. Even a small order. Just last week in ordered a Big Mac and two McChickens and and large Coke and it came to like $6 with tax. I just wish you could use a deal with a reward like Wendy's does.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be the opposite here in Finland, online prices are higher than going to McDonalds and buying inside. Same with many other food chains like Subway.

Seems weird that the same company has arrived to two completely different conclusions in different parts of the world regarding pricing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Not more expensive than Drive thru, but in Brazil the food delivery app has much better deals than ordering in place

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017

I wish Popeyes was still this cheap… 2pc combo at the one by me is now $11.29. 5pc tenders combo is $14.19.
I know chicken prices are a bit high right now, but jeez…

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed Sam's club charges for pickup on certain items if your not in their plus membership tier and in store they have cheaper prices if you use their scan and go app too

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Wait, are you looking at where it says "Eat In Tax"? Cause that's actually not a tax for just eating inside the restaurant. That's just the normal tax, but they put Eat In to designate that the order doesn't go to the drive thru.