• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
Another Dualshock 4 user chiming in, the flashlight controls did NOT work for me at all in SOME rooms.

In some rooms, it worked like a dual-stick shooter, in some rooms, it was completely impossible to walk backwards while aiming in front of me. The very first time you encounter an enemy with the flashlight (where the lightbulb pops out), I tied 10+ times to move around him while keeping the flashlight on him and it just didn't work. Eventually just had to run and ignore the flashlight.

In other rooms, it worked perfectly.

I think part of the problem was that when you were around enemies it sort of "stuck" you to the enemy when you were within a certain proximity from them, or at least that seemed to happen to me. But it was inconsistent and wouldn't always do it. Bummer, as this was really the only section that bothered me about the game.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I think part of the problem was that when you were around enemies it sort of "stuck" you to the enemy when you were within a certain proximity from them, or at least that seemed to happen to me. But it was inconsistent and wouldn't always do it. Bummer, as this was really the only section that bothered me about the game.

Yeah, possibly something like that. When I was near the enemy in that room, pressing up on the stick (aka, with the intention of facing away from the screen, towards the back wall) made Mono tilt his flashlight "up" towards the enemy's head (which is useless).

In other rooms, like the long hallway, pressing up on the stick did make him turn towards the back wall, but this happened even if I was right near an enemy, so who knows.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
So qq, once you get the flashlight is that a thing that is through the duration of the game, or is it only that one hospital level?
The big Blob ceiling dude and burned his ass, so curious if that is "it" with the flashlight.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
You only use it like that in the mannequin section of the hospital.
Awesome. Thank you, I added a spoiler above to where I was, so guess I am past it.
I am on Playstation 5 and did not have as many issues as others, but it does sound like the Dualshock support is broken on PC.
With that said, it still was not that enjoyable, so glad I am past it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Thank you, I added a spoiler above to where I was, so guess I am past it.
I am on Playstation 5 and did not have as many issues as others, but it does sound like the Dualshock support is broken on PC.
With that said, it still was not that enjoyable, so glad I am past it.
For the mannequin sequence that gives people trouble, I had to try a half-dozen times, but I ultimately found that walking along the bottom of the screen worked nicely -- you are mere inches from the monsters but they can't approach you from behind (because the screen is there) and so it's easier to keep your light in them. Get past three or four of them, and then the exit is in sight.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
For the mannequin sequence that gives people trouble, I had to try a half-dozen times, but I ultimately found that walking along the bottom of the screen worked nicely -- you are mere inches from the monsters but they can't approach you from behind (because the screen is there) and so it's easier to keep your light in them. Get past three or four of them, and then the exit is in sight.
I actually only had an issue towards the very end. I mean do not get me wrong, I died a few times, but nothing crazy. And what ultimately worked for me is just going super slow once they started moving on that very last longer area with them.

I fucking love this game just as I did the first. The atmosphere and vibe are just so damn creepy and perfectly executed imho. I just really enjoy it, and if the mannequin sequences was the worst on display control wise, it was not bad at all.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I actually only had an issue towards the very end. I mean do not get me wrong, I died a few times, but nothing crazy. And what ultimately worked for me is just going super slow once they started moving on that very last longer area with them.

I fucking love this game just as I did the first. The atmosphere and vibe are just so damn creepy and perfectly executed imho. I just really enjoy it, and if the mannequin sequences was the worst on display control wise, it was not bad at all.
Agreed, the whole game was great, just like the first

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Good MinnMax interview with one of the writers:

This was a lovely interview. What's neat is the writer says there ARE definitive answers to everything - all of the characters have full bios in what sounds like a 250-page lore document, but that document is currently secret, and part of it is the creative decision of environmental storytelling, but part of it is also up to Bandai-Namco, it sounds like, in terms of whether or when the full answers are given.

It also sounds like the children had past things happen to them "before they arrived in this world," which could be a turn of phrase, or maybe literally suggest the children came from another reality altogether.

I really want to see that document. ;_;

Jan 11, 2018
Loved this game so much I'm gonna go back and do a playthrough of the first game, haven't played it since it first released on Switch.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Hate to say it but the trial and error stuff is really annoying me, especially with the Teacher. When there's this much potential to fail the restart needs to be really quick.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Just started on switch. The HD rumble is so loud and not good when playing in bed. Apart from that all good so far.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the second chapter and I'm a bit stuck.

I guess I'm in a library with that creepy teacher after me. I just jumped across the book cylinder things and the teacher walked through the door on the right. I have no idea where to go. I can't walk through the open door she just came from as the camera won't show me where the door leads. Feels like the scene is bugged.

I'm sure i"m just missing something.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

I guess I'm in a library with that creepy teacher after me. I just jumped across the book cylinder things and the teacher walked through the door on the right. I have no idea where to go. I can't walk through the open door she just came from as the camera won't show me where the door leads. Feels like the scene is bugged.

Use the rolling ladder, you can slide it to the right

Edit: Oh wait, if you're past that, I don't remember, other than that you exit out the right side, I believe

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County

If that is where I'm thinking
I think there is a box you drag to jump to handle

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If that is where I'm thinking
I think there is a box you drag to jump to handle
That was it. Duh. Thanks!

Logically though, you'd think that your character would want to AVOID going into the room the creepy monster just entered. Especially when there's a whole unexplored hallway just sitting there!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to stop reading reading TVTropes articles of games I'm excited for after they've come out, because they're immediately loaded up with spoilers but they list what action is happening in the spoiler through the trope name, and it made it abundantly clear what happens here.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Damn the hospital chapter was definitely the scariest between both games so far. Though the water monster DLC level from the first is up there too.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the hospital chapter was definitely the scariest between both games so far. Though the water monster DLC level from the first is up there too.
The reveal of
the doctor the first time
was all kinds of....

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Good MinnMax interview with one of the writers:

I've been thinking about this since this was posted in the spoiler thread, but I'm glad they didn't go with "Hunger" because that would be a very singular title and we presumably wouldn't have LN2 as it is now. I like that it's more "Silent Hill"-like in giving us glimpses of personal horrors.

My kids and I have been thinking and talking about it since release. My soon to be 6 year old is currently making a craft (diorama) featuring Six and the Janitor lol.

And yes, my kids (11 and 6) are cool with PG 13 style horror (Scary Stories being a fav books series and movie for my oldest).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Finished the game, I think the game was a step up from the previous one in every single way.

More action, more suspense, more creepy monsters, and somehow a higher body count. I honestly had a ton of fun up until the ending but this isn't the place to talk about it.

If there's anything I dislike is the controls-- Yes I know it's a horror game but I cannot be the only one who got screwed by wall collusion or the glacial slow responsiveness of the grab action dozens of times.

Plus It's still too short imo. Wish it was twice as long and half as ambiguous.

Phrost

Dec 8, 2018
Finished the game, I think the game was a step up from the previous one in every single way.

More action, more suspense, more creepy monsters, and somehow a higher body count. I honestly had a ton of fun up until the ending but this isn't the place to talk about it.

If there's anything I dislike is the controls-- Yes I know it's a horror game but I cannot be the only one who got screwed by wall collusion or the glacial slow responsiveness of the grab action dozens of times.

Plus It's still too short imo. Wish it was twice as long and half as ambiguous.
It's been a couple of days since I finished the game and I honestly haven't felt such a sense of loss in a video game since HL2. It didn't hit me right away.. but then I watched a few theory videos on youtube and now I just really want to know what happens to Six specifically, but more generally all the characters, and now I'm worried that Tarsier might not be able to do a LN3 and wrap up the story. I just hope we can get some good DLC out of it.

Oct 27, 2017
and now I'm worried that Tarsier might not be able to do a LN3 and wrap up the story. I just hope we can get some good DLC out of it.

Is there something to this, or just general anxiety and not wanting to get your hopes up? If the latter, I'm in the same boat, trying to will a part 3 being greenlit into existence haha.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's been a couple of days since I finished the game and I honestly haven't felt such a sense of loss in a video game since HL2. It didn't hit me right away.. but then I watched a few theory videos on youtube and now I just really want to know what happens to Six specifically, but more generally all the characters, and now I'm worried that Tarsier might not be able to do a LN3 and wrap up the story. I just hope we can get some good DLC out of it.

Good thing for me is that I'll soon have Persona 5 to distract me lol.

On the note of the story- given how ambiguous everything is I don't know if any more games would help clear things up.

Worst case scenario- they can just release all the documents on the characters that they have created.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something to this, or just general anxiety and not wanting to get your hopes up? If the latter, I'm in the same boat, trying to will a part 3 being greenlit into existence haha.
Tarsier's owners (Embracer) just said they'll be focusing on new IP, rather than a property owned by a different publisher. Bandai Namco could continue it on their own with new developers, however.

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing for me is that I'll soon have Persona 5 to distract me lol.

On the note of the story- given how ambiguous everything is I don't know if any more games would help clear things up.

Worst case scenario- they can just release all the documents on the characters that they have created.
I don't really want answers, just more horror, these aesthetics and ambiguity lol. What if they gave us a new kid who would be the kid self of one of the lesser "monsters" (Roger, the chefs, teacher, hunter, doctor etc)? We'd experience a thematic horror based on their trauma and what lead them to their "professions".

Oct 27, 2017
Tarsier's owners (Embracer) just said they'll be focusing on new IP, rather than a property owned by a different publisher. Bandai Namco could continue it on their own with new developers, however.
Oh. Guess that explains that writer interview sort of non-chalantly claiming Namco owns it so he has no say (in future content release or movie/series). Wonder if some heated convos happened behind the scenes between parties involved.

Phrost

Dec 8, 2018
I don't really want answers, just more horror, these aesthetics and ambiguity lol. What if they gave us a new kid who would be the kid self of one of the lesser "monsters" (Roger, the chefs, teacher, hunter, doctor etc)? We'd experience a thematic horror based on their trauma and what lead them to their "professions".
I definitely want more answers. I don't need the game to be wrapped up in a nice bow with a happy sitcom ending, but the current status quo doesn't suit me at all. Still, I'm sure we'll get some DLC at least.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Haven't played either of these games and only just found out this existed. Looks great. Switch v Xbox that is the question.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The final area was quite underwhelming compared to the school and hospital...

I think it would have been better if the appartement complex was fully like the very last part, with the purple light teleporting you and so on, add to that the tv gimmick and it would have been a great levels with plenty of puzzles opportunities imo

great game though, sublime atmosphere like the first one

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Dancrane212 You might want to update the OT, I'm not sure if it was patched it in later or was always like this but the Pro version is 60fps from the little I've played so far.
Firstly, the shift from 60 fps to 30 fps (PS4 Pro here) is a massive downer, but the second game's controls feel tighter off the bat at least.
It's 60fps on the Pro. Tarsier probably patched it?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I never did do the first game's DLC so I am doing that now. Has anyone played Very Little Nightmares on mobile? Worth anything? Seems like of steep for $7

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
What on earth were the devs thinking with the last section of the game. This was a perfect game for me until the mannequin sections that went on for way too long.

I finally passed all of them only to be greeted with another pipe and hand section with two of those fuckers, especially with the clunky controls it's so damn frustrating doing a section over 15 times. I stuck with it for way longer than I usually do when I get stuck but man, I think I'm out for real time time. I don't need this type of frustration and a hadache right now.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Man, I finished the DLC for the first game, and the ending is brutal af lol. Wild ride, if you played the first game and missed the DLC it's worth going back to.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I still love the mood and style of the game, but this one is way more frustrating and buggy than LN1 (At least when I played it which admittedly was long after release). It seems like the game requires you to do certain sections almost perfectly and the checkpointing is a bit unforgiving also. I'm still gonna finish it, but I am a little dissapointed in this one so far.

krs

Oct 25, 2017
Dancrane212 You might want to update the OT, I'm not sure if it was patched it in later or was always like this but the Pro version is 60fps from the little I've played so far.

It's 60fps on the Pro. Tarsier probably patched it?
I think it's either 1080p60, or 30 if playing in "4k" on the Pro. The same should apply when playing it on PS5.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
hfg4ztxmyfi61.jpg

www.ign.com

Little Nightmares Creator Confirms It's Done With the Series – But Namco Could Carry It On Regardless - IGN

Tarsier Studios – the creator of Little Nightmares – has confirmed to IGN that Little Nightmares 2 is its last game in the series. However, IP owner and publisher Bandai Namco is "energised" to make more Little Nightmares games regardless.
Does the series looks like it could do with a sequel, or are 2 games enough for the storytelling among other things? We don't know if the developer wanted to make a third game, right?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Does the series looks like it could do with a sequel, or are 2 games enough for the storytelling among other things? We don't know if the developer wanted to make a third game, right?
In a recent video interview, the writer for both games says he has a lore document that's like 250 pages with complete backstories for every character and monster, and definitive answers for everything, but he said it's the property of Bandai-Namco and it's their call whether to divulge those things. As it stands, the two games and associated media give us a dark but intriguing story where things are implied and fans are left to theorycraft, which is fun in its own right, imo. But there is certainly room storywise for a threequel.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
In a recent video interview, the writer for both games says he has a lore document that's like 250 pages with complete backstories for every character and monster, and definitive answers for everything, but he said it's the property of Bandai-Namco and it's their call whether to divulge those things. As it stands, the two games and associated media give us a dark but intriguing story where things are implied and fans are left to theorycraft, which is fun in its own right, imo. But there is certainly room storywise for a threequel.
Ah interesting, thanks!