Belker

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a PS4. I have PS PLus. But I can't access the PS Plus Collection, because that's for PS5 owners only.

But why? [... am I paying the same amount for a lesser service?']

I don't think it will cannibalise sales, as the people in the market for a PS5 will likely buy one anyway. The games are old enough that many, though not all, PS4 owners would have bought them already, so that wouldn't stop them wanting a PS5.

So what's the story here? Is it that Sony reason they'd rather make money from established users by making them buy games individually and count on their loyalty? Or that they privilege PS5 owners making them feel like they're getting an extra-special deal?

It's reminiscent of businesses that offer deals to new customers only, thus alienating existing customers. But unlike firms that do this in firms where switching is difficult - phones, broadband, electricity etc. - Sony does it at launch with a luxury item when their competitor is selling their luxury item as being good value for gaming.

Last edited:

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Just do what I'm doing, get a friend to add the games to your PS+ on their PS5. And I say friend, not internet random.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Eh, a number of them have already been free on Plus for current PS4 users. It's an incentive for new buyers of the new console and I am perfectly fine with that.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's to promote their new product. They are not giving it to you on PS4 because you already bought a PS4 and they want you to buy a PS5. It is a marketing move. This is the answer to your question.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It's an early adoption bonus for PS5 owners, meant to give people new to the PlayStation ecosystem a chance to catch up during the slow period around launch when there's not much to play. PS4 owners aren't hurting for games to play. I don't see any issues with how they're doing it.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They want to sell you the PS5 by adding value to a subscription you may already have/may be planning to purchase.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is more a PS5 early adopter perk than a PS Plus bonus tbh. At least, that's how I've always read it.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
They want people to buy a PS5. That's it.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
As an incentive, I get it. With how far the perceived value has fallen compared to Game Pass it seems like a mistake.

As market leader they can do what they want I guess.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The entire reason the PS+ Collection exists is to incentivise people to buy a PS5. If they allow the 100+ million PS4 users to access those games, it sort of defeats the whole point.

OP
OP

Belker

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I think my 'Buy why' question should perhaps have been phrased as:

'Why am I paying the same amount for a lesser service?'

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
We wouldn't ask this question, if it was a pack-in on-disc collection with a new console. But I can completely understand the feeling why it seems unfair. It feels like your beloved gaming club who celebrates all his fantastic products is subtly saying "our old console is great, but really, if you only upgrade when we have true next-gen games, then you're not premium, you don't belong".

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I think my 'Buy why' question should perhaps have been phrased as:

likely the same answer to "why does godfall cost €20 more on ps5" to which the answer is "to maximise profits"

it sucks but it is what it is.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
This launch has been extremely fair to the consumer when it comes to not making you feel like you must upgrade right away. There are almost no exclusive launch titles. So it's fine that they have just this as an incentive to upgrade. What are they supposed to do, not have any?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I agree it's asinine and this isn't really going to sell people on a PS5 who were on the fence anyway.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
pretty much everyone above me already said it. i'll just chime in that i think it's a fine way to motivate gamers to buy a ps5. more than fine,.. downright awesome. soo much more awesome than any other console launch to be given 20 + 3 games on day-1 for the low low cost of a ps+ sub that half of playstation owners have/get anyways.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
It's a way of getting people new to the console to have something to play if they only had enough money for one game and the online service. If you really wanted any of those games you would have bought them already, they've been out for years.

Someone coming over from Xbox who only bought Miles Morales which is 12 hours might finish that in two weeks and hey, they might have never played a GOW or a Persona and boom,they can play those for only the monthly payment.

It's not about fair or unfair, it's about helping to improve that launch window for consumers who actually bought a new console.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think they want you to buy a PS5. The collection is mostly intended for new users I think

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
They want you to buy a PS5. That's about the extent of it.

Personally, the PS+ collection looks more like it's designed to attract new players to the PlayStation ecosystem, rather than cater to those already well established in it.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018

Well, nothing was taken away from you, that is the important distinction.

You don't lose anything, you just don't have the new bonus. It will be there for you if you get a PS5.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

You're not. You're getting an added bonus for the same price on you're next-gen console.

There's a pretty big difference between features added and features taken away.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I get its use as an early perk, even if I can't see myself making use of it - I definitely haven't played some of those games, but unfortunately that doesn't mean I didn't already buy them at some point, lol. But when PS+ costs have already risen while the things you get for it are decreasing, it'd certainly be a nice thing to give to PS4 users too - a "hey, there's still a lot out there you may not have played on PS4" gesture. Keeps them playing your exclusives (...and maybe shows them that they want those faster load times in them), that kind of thing.

I also think Bugsnax having only it's PS5 version in + sucks for similar reasons! As much as that seems like my kinda weird thing and I'll be happy to have it for free, it's not exactly going to be a console-seller so I don't think that kind of restriction makes any sense. To begin with I don't think it's gonna please anyone who'd demand, say, a PS5 exclusive to always be in the + games, and so I can't think of anyone who really benefits from that?

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
They are trying to sell PS5 systems. They probably didn't even need to do that, but they're trying to be competitive too.

It also serves as a welcome pack for new PlayStation owners. And what a pack.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017

But you're not paying the same amount for a lesser service... PS5 buyers had to spend hundreds of pounds/dollars more than you to be entitled to them.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Yea, it's a perk for early adapters. Hopefully it's available for the entirety of the PS5's lifespan.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I get where you're coming from, but they obviously did the whole PS Plus Collection deal as an incentive for people to buy a PS5. It's an extra perk that makes it more appealing, especially for people who might be new PlayStation or haven't had one in a while.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I am surprised they didn't do it within PS Now - seems like it would accomplish the same goal of rewarding PS5 purchases, while also boosting that service.