Status
Not open for further replies.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
No, for many Fans they liked LiS for the female protagonist setting. The lesbian fandom was "added" later.
So the fandom who liked the female protagonist setting is disappointed with the new direction. Especially after Dontnod held up the Flag for female protagonists in Gaming after the release of LiS.

So yes, make it about Latino sisters and the fandom wouldn't be divided.
This isn't a franchise that could survive on name alone. It got recognition because of the female protagonist direction.
This just undermines the creators' talents as storytellers by determining their franchise's worth is solely based on the sexual orientation of their previous leads instead of their ability to create compelling characters.

Oct 24, 2017
None of this is on Dontnod though.

They have the full right to tell the story they want to, however they want to. They already did arguably one of the best representation of female characters in a video game, constantly expecting them to do the same is unfair to their creative talents as well.
And I'm allowed to criticize them for it all I want. This shit isn't made in a vacuum.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dontnod has the right to tell whatever story they want and consumers have the right to decide not to purchase that story for any reason they want. I don't feel like this should be a complicated concept to understand.

Also, if the original game is any indication, I'm not exactly anticipating groundbreaking Mexican-American representation from the middle-aged French white dudes at Dontnod.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
This is a real bummer, I get that most of ERA could more relate to hip, artistic white teens and their music and drama, than it can to two little mexican kids, but its the reverse for me.

And I didn't let that stop me from enjoying Max or Chloe and the whole deal, but it seems that is a tough ask.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I agree with them honestly, the waiting between episodes for a couple of months is a real buzz kill, and essentially leads me to want to replay the last episode right before playing the new one for a recap anyway.

I've been doing this for the last couple of TT games and did the same with Before the Storm and it's much better.

i did this for the first LiS.
But i couldn't resist for Before the Storm,and will not wait for LiS 2.
i am weak :(
Also avoiding all those social medias things about LiS 2 will be really difficult :p

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You say 'we' a lot in this post.

I think you mean you. Singular.

I mean 'we' fans that you are disagreeing with. It was pretty clear too, but hey, whatever you have to do to get a jab in.

If the trailer had Chloe and Max, I bet you would have said "it looks too similar to LiS 1" and "more of the same". Maybe, just maybe, they know what they're doing.

No I wouldn't have, and based on Captain Spirit and Vampyr, I'm not giving them that benefit of the doubt.

Yeah because Max and Chloe looked really interesting in the reveal trailer.

This doesn't have Chloe so it's already a good thing, they said countless of time it was going to be a complete new story. The premise sounds really interesting, definitely a buy for me.

Max and Chloe were absolutely interesting right from the first trailer, and considering your second statement your opinions on characters is pretty worthless anyway.

Oct 24, 2017
This is a real bummer, I get that most of ERA could more relate to hip, artistic white teens and their music and drama, than it can to two little mexican kids, but its the reverse for me.

And I didn't let that stop me from enjoying Max or Chloe and the whole deal, but it seems that is a tough ask.
I related to them because they were queer girls.
Continuing to pretend it's a race thing isn't helping anybody's case.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested, dunno if I'll pick it up episode by episode though. I'll wait for the full thing. I think the only game that'll make me buy it per episode basis at this point is Tales of the Borderlands 2.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm a part of the fandom who liked the female protagonists too, and I'm liking what I've seen from 2 so far.

People making a lot of assumptions in other people's behalf in this thread.

Like the people who disregard other people's opinion because they imply the users don't like the game because of the Mexican protagonist angle?

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
hmm, I'll reserve judgement, I loved max and Chloe's story, wish it continued that, but I have faith, I've enjoyed the spin offs so far

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I'm pretty sure that the game is going to be great but to me, that was one really uninteresting trailer.

I literally know zero about those two, no hint at their backstory, no support characters shown, nothing. Just an ok premise and that's all.

The LiS1 trailer a few pages back was miles better at communicating what the game was about, this one is just asking you to jump in a leap of faith. I get they want to preserve the mystery, but you gotta get you public interested in the first place, if I didn't know anything about the first one this would hardly be in my radar right now.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Holy shit this thread devolved into chaos pretty quickly from an hour ago lol.

Anyway after checking out the trailer, I'm not quite blown away but am intrigued into travelling brothers element and am curious as to what shit went down with the cop and why their on the run in the first place. Hopefully the supporting cast will be strong too but the trailer didn't reveal much on that point.

With it being episodic and releasing late sept after Spider-Man, Tomb Raider & Dragon Quest, I may have to hold off until everything has been released.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I already explained why I'm less interested in the title so far, I'll wait to see if they can introduce something to interest me, but it's got nothing to do with Mexican representation. While a black protagonist will peak my interest in a game, it alone isn't going to make me jump out and buy. I enjoyed the first LiS because it was a HS drama with some Twin Peaks atmosphere and a time travel gimmick. Here I've got two underage siblings on the run from the law where the older sibling seems to act like a parent to the younger sibling. As a result, my interest level is at a real low. I should also note I never played Before the Storm because I considered a prequel to be the very antithesis to what the first game was about. I don't want to know what Chloe was up to before Max re-entered her life or what happened to her other best friend. I'm also just not a fan of prequels in general.

So, the game's gotta do more to hook me in right now.
Fair enough, but I don't think relatability factor of the brothers has much to do with that, if I'm understanding you correctly. Rather, you simply appreciated the setting, tone, premise, mood, etc. of LiS1 and preferred it. I just feel like folks really lean into that whole relatability thing as if one can only relate to people who hail from a similar walk of life, or are experiencing a scenario very similar to one experienced by the player themselves. We should put forth the effort to relate to characters who are going through all sorts of struggles and rough spots in their lives.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
But like.. They're Mexican dudes with telekinesis. That's not really represented all that well.
I'm not saying I agree with it, all I'm saying is that I understand the point of view.
Like the people who disregard other people's opinion because they imply the users don't like the game because of the Mexican protagonist angle?
When some are outright saying they dislike the Mexican protagonist angle, like some people have in this thread? Sure.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm allowed to criticize them for it all I want. This shit isn't made in a vacuum.

Sure, you can criticize away, but others can call you out for it too. Was it the female protagonist or the optional ways in which you could determine her sexuality what drew you towards the first LiS ?

Don't you think we should give Dontnod a chance with the writing and characterization before immediately jumping on the hate-boat just because the protagonists aren't who you were expecting at a glance ?

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How is it even possible this reveal trailer turned into a toxic thread? Is there some type of weekly quota to break into arguments on here? Holy shit.

It feels like back when Rockstar first revealed CJ.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hmm, I'll reserve judgement, I loved max and Chloe's story, wish it continued that, but I have faith, I've enjoyed the spin offs so far
Why would you want their story to continue? It's wrapped up. It's done. Anything more is just going to disservice the story that was told. You have to let stories end or else they lose meaning.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Sure, but their designs are boring. They look very plain. Also one of them is a little kid, which sucks.
yzwbTOV.png

How is this an interesting, non-plain character design?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I related to them because they were queer girls.
Continuing to pretend it's a race thing isn't helping anybody's case.

But you didn't know Max was queer until basically the end of the game (depending on how you handle the dared kiss) and I can't remember the early trailers for LiS so I don't know how much Chloe and he love of Rachel played into them as it was something you learned over the course of the episodes, that Rachel wasn't just Chloe's friend, or BFF, but a girl she was in love with.

Maybe one of both of these brothers are gay or bi? We don't know yet because we only have this to go off, just like we didn't know the sexuality of the LiS girls until we played the games.

I mean, I guess it's ok if you don't like the game because it features brothers but it's still early days, all we know is they are Hispanic brothers and one of them has telekinesis powers and they are now on the run due to an altercation with a police officer. We don't know about their personality or likes and dislikes or sexuality or anything other than what they look like and what was shown in the trailer.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, but I don't think relatability factor of the brothers has much to do with that, if I'm understanding you correctly. Rather, you simply appreciated the setting, tone, premise, mood, etc. of LiS1 and preferred it. I just feel like folks really lean into that whole relatability thing as if one can only relate to people who hail from a similar walk of life, or are experiencing a scenario very similar to one experienced by the player themselves. We should put forth the effort to relate to characters who are going through all sorts of struggles and rough spots in their lives.

"Relate" is probably a poor word, "interest" is more accurate. As you stated, the original's setting interested me. I liked just walking around a school and town and talking to people. This game's setting has yet to interest me yet, we'll see though. That trailer was pretty poor.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The first one was one the best and most unique experience of this gen for me. It's sad and weird that this trailer was kinda meh to me!

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Brotherly love instead of romance, representation for Hispanics? Badass telekinesis powers? Fuck yeah I'm down.

Always wanted to see what this team could do with male leads, given how refreshing and non-stereotypical their female leads were.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This just undermines the creators' talents as storytellers by determining their franchise's worth is solely based on the sexual orientation of their previous leads instead of their ability to create compelling characters.

I liked it despite the writing... Dontnod aren't really master storytellers. Vampyr was a dud.

And we didn't know the sexuality of Max and Chloe, so the premise was first and foremost female protagonist

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How is it even possible this reveal trailer turned into a toxic thread? Is there some type of weekly quota to break into arguments on here? Holy shit.

It feels like back when Rockstar first revealed CJ.
Yep. Reading this thread is as embarrassing as going back and reading those.

The sentiment's been around since Captain Spirit came out, or even before when the possibility about an LiS2 not featuring a lesbian protagonist or Max and Chloe was a thing, so this came of no surprise to me. I'm glad, though, that moving forward with LiS2, this should be the acme of what we have to read concerning the subject, either as people stuck on that dismiss LiS2 or as they warm up to it.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
While not a particularly interesting trailer, it was short so I'll give it some slack.
Even though I really loved both the first series and the prequel I'm glad they didn't go the CW route and try to placate the divided fanbase and actually went with a brand new arc.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Literally yes to both? How is this so difficult to understand?

Sorry if I missed every single reply in the thread, but it's just baffling to me that you're immediately dumping on Dontnod just for the lack of female protagonists, especially after they've already done it once already in their last game.

I'd give the first episode a chance before making the kind of concrete conclusions I'm seeing here personally, comments like 'they look so plain', 'they look so boring' etc.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a forum about inclusion, the first two pages are pretty shameful on trying to take down the game because they did not include their waifus.

Mexican underaged brothers, a minority to boot, if DONTNOD keeps up with the great storytelling they have used us to with Remember Me, Life is Strange and Vampyr, it will be a fantastic game, with a potential to show things that have not been shown before. How is this even possible to be called upon?

You guys and girls need to give things a chance and don't jump in the first bandwagon you find.

Many of these posts are as a bad as the "Mantagonist. Dropped" from the last DONTNOD Twin Mirror thread.

Oct 26, 2017
Have the entire first one on Steam. Should I go back and play it to completion if I found the first few hours boring?
In other words does it get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.